(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Bean
Yep.

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Bean »

Ashan wrote: 6 years ago Next up on the list is Mega Man 8, which I'm not sure if I've ever beaten before. I played it on Anniversary Collection, but don't recall finishing it. I don't recall liking it much either, though.
Jump, jump! Slide, slide! POWER SHOT!

...I like that one a lot. Ha-ha. Weapons are pretty great in it.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Ashan wrote: 6 years agosecrets make no sense
MM7 was my first game in the series. My best friend back in the fourth grade had it and we spent months 100%ing it. The hyperbolt or hyperscrew or whatever the hell it was called was such a ridiculous find. Took us like three months until I just kinda randomly stumbled over it one day.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Bean wrote: 6 years ago Jump, jump! Slide, slide! POWER SHOT!
Yup, definitely remember that. Those soundbytes are forever ingrained in my mind.
Alice wrote: MM7 was my first game in the series. My best friend back in the fourth grade had it and we spent months 100%ing it. The hyperbolt or hyperscrew or whatever the hell it was called was such a ridiculous find. Took us like three months until I just kinda randomly stumbled over it one day.
And look at the Rush Search locations for certain items. Like the Escape Unit in Freeze Man's stage. There's literally nothing marking it, and it's fairly precise. I know you can also buy it in the shop, but how was anyone supposed to find that without using the finite amount of Rush Search on literally every inch of the game? And Proto Man's second location in Turbo Man's stage is pretty stupid too.
Griflion
I'm gonna chomp ya!

Post by Griflion »

Finally finished Tomb Raider 2013 after starting it 2 years ago. I can see why i stopped playing it for 1.5 years , the achievements quest are pretty tedious. But the game is still solid.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Still going through Mega Man Legacy Collection 2. Finished off my Mega Man 7 run and then tore through the challenges to get that fifty gold ranks goal out of the way. MM10 is very generous with that since you can use all three characters on certain battle missions. Go figure.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Bean wrote: 6 years ago Still going through Mega Man Legacy Collection 2. Finished off my Mega Man 7 run and then tore through the challenges to get that fifty gold ranks goal out of the way. MM10 is very generous with that since you can use all three characters on certain battle missions. Go figure.
I've been working on the extra challenges too.
I just finished Mega Man 8 for my first time today, and once I was done that, I just needed to do the MM8 boss rush challenge for my last achievement. And while I was doing that, I went ahead and did all the challenges for MM8. Most weren't too bad, but one is doing the intro boss + boss rush buster only. And a lot of it is up to RNG (specifically if Astro Man will give you opportunity to attack, or just spam astro crush the whole time). I got the 50x gold metal Steam achievement last night, but I plan on doing all challenges for all games. I already have 8 and 9 done.

And when I say all challenges, I mean the MMLC2 ones, not the built-in ones. Because I'm never going to get Mr Perfect on Mega Man 9 because it's stupid and impossible. I did it in MM10 back when it released, but that's because in easy mode you could save between stages, and if you got hit you could just reload. I don't know who the hell can do all the Wily stages in MM9 from start to finish without getting hit once.

edit: Oh god, so it turns out one of the challenges in MM7 is Wily machine time attack. So it's doing both of Wily's phases from MM7 without healing. The time is really not the biggest issue, it's just surviving that long. Had to learn to finish a fight with him without healing, and it was pretty insane. The buster only boss rush was pretty rough too, mainly because of Slash Man who involved a lot of RNG. But I finally did it, and took second place!
Just have MM10 challenges remaining now.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Finished the last of the challenges in MMLC2. Basically all I had left after the last post was buster only boss rush in MM10 which wasn't that bad, and then Enker and Punk fights. Enker with Proto Man took me a while because he killed me in 3 hits. Turns out the trick is to just tank damage from his uncharged slash beam things because they do less damage than touching him, so you can use those i-frames to make sure he doesn't touch you. Hell yeah, cheese strats.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Mega Man 9's done now, too. Going from least to favorite order here, so 8's next and 10's last. Been years since I played 10 though, so that should be interesting.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Bean wrote: 6 years ago Mega Man 9's done now, too. Going from least to favorite order here, so 8's next and 10's last. Been years since I played 10 though, so that should be interesting.
9 over 8!?
Nuts! 9 is my favorite!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I love 9's weapons, I do not like spikes and enemies popping out of pits everywhere. It also has my least favorite boss music. Ha-ha. It's still a fun game, but I like 10 so much more. 8's got the second best set of weapons, and I always liked the art in that one.

4 > 3 > 10 > 8 > 1 > 9 > 2 > 7 > 6 > 5 has been my take. Just not sure on both 1 or 7's positions nowadays.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Enemies pop out of pits in 9, but is it worse than the other games? Like the exploding Game Boys in Bomb Man from 1, or the parachute bombs in Commando Man in 10, etc? As for spikes, I only recall 1 section that stands out as kinda cheap, which is that near pixel-perfect jump in the water section in Wily 2. But other than that I don't think 9 is that hard comparatively.

I've never sat down and ranked them before so my opinion might change depending on when you ask me, but to quickly throw one out:
9 > 10 > 2 > 5 > 1 > 4 > 3 > 6 > 8 > 7

I have trouble with ranking them cause some I either like or dislike for different reasons. I used to like 3 a lot more, but I find it to overall be the jankiest in the series. Tons of slowdown, awkward garbage like the top spin, the doc robots which might be on the first sections in the series, overreliance on weapon energy like the Rush jet sections.
6 I mainly ranked low because I'm the least familiar with it of any of the 8-bit games. And 7/8 I just don't like the sprites and slowness. 8 also has that weird disconnect in the middle of every level with a load screen that teleports you somewhere completely different. And also I hate that they added swimming, cause the 8-bit Mega Man games all had really fun water sections with the high jumping.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

West of Loathing is an amazing game, and you all should play it.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

With raocow's Mega Man proposal video today I remembered that I don't think I've ever actually beaten Rock Man & Forte before. I own it, but was unsure as to whether or not I actually finished it.

I went through it from the beginning today, and got as far as the second King stage before becoming pretty damn confident I never finished it before. This stage is a nightmare. I believe there's 5 bosses in it? At least with the first 3/4 there's either an always-there 1-up, but before the third boss, as far as I can tell you just have to kill bats at the beginning of the section until you get a 1-up. But once you actually beat that third boss, which is 2 phases, you're put up against another boss with no section to grind lives. And if you game over, you start the whole section over again. And all of the bosses take FOREVER.

edit: So I went back and tried again, and now I know how to use items in the menus. I thought it was like MM8 where you bought them in the store and they were immediately applied, but apparently you have to switch through the menus. I ended up doing all of King 2 in 1 life, but died on the boss once because I had half health, but then killed him on the next life, only getting hit once. GG
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

It took me three hours of almost straight recording to do a no-damage run of that stage as Mega Man a few years back. That stage has so much that can go wrong just in a normal playthrough, especially that part with the plane fight, let alone doing the whole enchilada without taking damage. Personally, my least favorite stage is Magic Man. There's no safety net right from the start. If you're playing the GBA version, it's worse thanks to the camera. Thankfully, I saved Bass and doing normal no-death runs for the GBA side of things. King 2 still sucked since he doesn't get that platform to hide under and dodge those bombs that drop in. Ha-ha.

Man, that series was exhausting to do. Final stage is easier for the most part, but it's still a gauntlet run.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

You no-damage peeps are nuts. Closest thing I've done to that was 100% achievements in Mega Man 10 which had a "beat the game without getting hit" achievement, but it was made easier with easy mode, not only cause it's... easy mode... But easy mode let you save between Wily stages.
And I'm finally done R&F. I actually liked the final Wily fight, it was kinda fun.
I was playing as Bass cause I guess that's "easy" mode in terms of this game, so I think I'll try to do Mega Man next.

edit: Alright, now done with Mega Man. Definitely much more challenging with him, but surprisingly not by a HUGE margin. It's mainly from all the dickish jumps in the game. There's some parts where they actually expect you to ride the ice wall to complete jumps. But I actually found some bosses easier with him, particularly Burner Man, who I find really hard to use his weakness against, so instead I just killed him with charge shots and he became much less of a hassle.
Well, I can officially say I've beaten the whole classic series now!
...Unless Rock Man Soccer counts... I own it, but not sure if there is a way to beat it. I'm not even sure how it works, really.
Oh, and also Wily Tower? Maybe I'll do that some other time. Main series is done anyway.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

And I beat MM8 this morning. That leaves MM10, but I chose to start up a Proto Man run of MM9 first. Guess I want to 100% this whole thing.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Ended up doing a hero mode and superhero mode in Mega Man 9. There's one jump in Galaxy Man's stage in superhero mode that I'm pretty sure is impossible so I ended up just coming back with Rush Jet later and skipping it. Also lots of grabby guys from Galaxy Man's stage, but all over the game and they throw you into spikes and bottomless pits.
Final IGT was 1:26:39.

edit: I streamed the whole thing. Didn't end up even using any E-tanks or M-tanks. Here's a video archive (though I'm sure nobody including myself would want to watch this):

Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Slimeman01 »

Picked up Sonic Mania for my Switch reason, and

I'm in love with this game, the music is fantastic, the gameplay is amazing, and those new zones man, holy crap, they're so good

The bosses are actually pretty difficult, but really fun! My personal favourites are

Chemical plant Act 2

, and

Hydrocity Act 1

:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Took down Mega Man 10 last night in a single sitting. I'll probably upload and commentate that footage to finish off those single segment runs at long last. Note to self: Don't try to buster duel bosses you haven't fought in five years. It's not wise. It is still my favorite of the four games on the MMLC2, so that's neato. Anyway, I love that you unlock all the previously DLC only stuff in 9 and 10 once you beat those games.

Don't see why Sonic Mania won't be next. I'd been putting it off until I took care of Mega Man.
Slimeman01

Post by Slimeman01 »

Binding of Isaac Switch Update:

After a successful Judas Greed Run, I've finally unlocked the keeper! I can finally stop playing Greed mode
They way I unlocked him was by repeatedly playing greed mode until I filled the machine. Was it a pain? Yes. Was it worth it? Well, I never have to worry about keeping enough money to donate to the greed machine, so yeah! (But then again, I donated for pain to my soul and happiness.)
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Griflion
I'm gonna chomp ya!

Post by Griflion »

playing some castle crashers right now, didn't notice there was an update on steam.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I kinda want to play through Demon's Souls and hopefully finish it this time. I think if I attempt playing through it again it'll be my like, 4th attempt at it.
I've beaten all the other soulsborne games multiple times each, but haven't done Demon's Souls once and I think I need to fix that.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Ashan wrote: 6 years ago I kinda want to play through Demon's Souls and hopefully finish it this time. I think if I attempt playing through it again it'll be my like, 4th attempt at it.
I've beaten all the other soulsborne games multiple times each, but haven't done Demon's Souls once and I think I need to fix that.
You do need to note what are now considered odd mechanics that are exclusive to Demon's Souls though.

For example, there is a weight limit (including consumable items), different herbs of different healing intensities instead of estus flasks, when you're in ghost form (basically you're hollowed state) you have half HP but you take less fall damage, and certain things are available through what World Tendency you have for each section (if you're really interested in getting certain things).

Good luck trying to finish it, though!
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

jayScribble wrote: 6 years agoYou do need to note what are now considered odd mechanics that are exclusive to Demon's Souls though.

For example, there is a weight limit (including consumable items), different herbs of different healing intensities instead of estus flasks, when you're in ghost form (basically you're hollowed state) you have half HP but you take less fall damage, and certain things are available through what World Tendency you have for each section (if you're really interested in getting certain things).

Good luck trying to finish it, though!
Yeah, I'm familiar with most of those things, although tendency kinda baffles me. My furthest attempt I've made got about 4.5 hours in, where I got to I think the second boss in the mines.
I definitely think the first Dark Souls perfected the healing system. I don't know why they backtracked to basically the Demon's Souls system in Bloodborne, and upgrading your estus count with shards in DS2 and DS3.
Slimeman01

Post by Slimeman01 »

Binding of Isaac Switch Update:

Did something else I never thought I'd ever do, but I beat Hush as the Lost. What a rush that was! What helped me especially was getting Sinus infection as my first item room item, which literally destroys Hush! I also got an amazing first Devil room, with Abbadon, and then I got Crickets Head in the Hush room itself, and Wait, What? as defence with Big Fatty. Pretty amazing kill!
I also killed Mega Satan with Judas, which I wouldn't have done without Triple Shot + Mom's knife.