(shouting)

Level Contest Japan

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Stink Terios

Re: Level Contest Japan - freedom

Post by Stink Terios »

I just gave up after dying a bunch and switched to Peach. Those jumps are real bad. And so are the platforms that should be solid but aren't.
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

I would have enjoyed this level a lot more if it had a midpoint. Or if it had a flat difficulty curve and escalated the shenanigans with the rainbow pipes instead.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

"Midpoints are for pussies"
- an inexplicable number of people
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

I'm kinda curious how long it would have taken raocow to figure that jump out if he'd never managed to get on top of the pipe like that, lol. Also what was the overworld music? I could only make it out just a little bit but it reminded me of some of the music from Mischief Makers.
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

Alice wrote: 6 years ago I'm kinda curious how long it would have taken raocow to figure that jump out if he'd never managed to get on top of the pipe like that, lol. Also what was the overworld music? I could only make it out just a little bit but it reminded me of some of the music from Mischief Makers.
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Enjl wrote: 6 years agomusic
Thanks. I can see why I thought it sounded like Mischief Makers after listening to it. Not sure how to put it into words exactly but there's a general tone to the track that was fairly common in Mischief Makers as well.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Level Contest Japan - cave story

Post by SAJewers »

staccato time in today's level was physically unwatchable for me. I had to stop watching and just listen to the audio only. :/
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Emral

Post by Emral »

It's actually my personal least favourite. I find the gimmick to be incredibly jarring.
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

From a pure gameplay standpoint, the time stop gimmick was neat, and I think it was used in cool ways sometimes (like having Link fight SMB3 Bowser in slow-mo, although that probably only needed to happen once). However, there's no denying that the level evokes the same emotion as playing a game that is actually just lagging out a lot. To some extent, the boss is "tank hits central", but it's dangerous enough that you have to put at least some effort into dodging stuff. It's also pretty cool/intense, albeit somewhat spammy.

Also, I'm surprised that raocow missed the Lunapoint. :P
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Neat, how'd you make the screen not scroll in the cave map?

I guess it's possible now to make the map not scroll after certain points? Effectively making map edges? Cool.

Though I wonder how that can break with the 'walk anywhere' cheat?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by Classtoise »

This level was like a visual representation of playing the first Resident Evil games; no just because you make a shitty limitation (in REs case; awful controls. In this levels case; stuttering and lag) your "thing" does NOT make it okay. It's still awful.

Design wise it was alright. Something like 3 Bowser fights seems kind of pointless, exacerbated by the time gimmick. And the last boss was a visual clusterfuck. The creator said it was way longer and had multiple bosses and they fixed it and I'm gonna go ahead and say "why did you stop when you did". It's like finding out your brakes are going, your gas line is leaking, your battery is dead, your headlights are burnt out, so you fix the headlights and the battery and say "There it's fixed!"
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

I like how both the overused boss theme and the replacement boss theme are from the same game. ;)
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
Emral

Post by Emral »

Sebby19 wrote: 6 years ago Neat, how'd you make the screen not scroll in the cave map?

I guess it's possible now to make the map not scroll after certain points? Effectively making map edges? Cool.

I set the camera's x and y coordinates to a fixed value if the player's x-coordinate is greater than another specific value. The cave submap is positioned further right than anything else on this world map, so setting it up was rather straightforward.
Silly thing is that a camera's x and y coordinates are the top left of the SMBX window, INCLUDING the border. I originally assumed it was the top left of the actually visible area of the map, but alas, heh.
The "break" is basically that the camera snaps back once you walk far enough left.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Low framerate lag is not something to aspire to.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

did not like this level at all.
the main gimmick was kind of painful to watch. the level design itself was mostly pretty bland. three bowser fights is overkill. also, it's glitch as heck with sprites disappearing all over the place & the first time the boss just outright didn't start? also the boss itself is just spammy and unfun. so yes in general i liked absolutely nothing about this level. veggie pile was better
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Blue

Post by Blue »

Kind of a neat idea. Wish the bossfight made use of the gimmick somehow, possibly just by stealing Superhot's core mechanic.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

I thought the time-stuttering gimmick was interesting but I'm not really sure why it's there. It seems like this is just an ordinary level with the gimmick tacked on rather than a level designed with the gimmick in mind. Aside from the gimmick, I feel like there were too many boss enemies in this level (SMB3 Bowser, 3 Ludwig resprites, SMB1 Bowser, and then SMB3 bowser again). Then there's the boss at the end, which looks rather chaotic, though I haven't played it myself so I can't really say whether or not it's too much. But then there's a few parts that seem completely non-threatening compared to the rest of the fight, like the part with the spikes, which I thought was odd.

On another note, I appreciate that the deaths from (minimal) (Maximal) have been removed from the main death counter, but the counter only says +2817; I thought raocow had 2971 deaths in that level.

Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

All of the deaths on the boss were counted twice, as was the death by lava in the second sublevel. (Not sure if that happened more than once.) The new count corrects that.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

Dragon Fogel wrote: 6 years ago All of the deaths on the boss were counted twice, as was the death by lava in the second sublevel. (Not sure if that happened more than once.) The new count corrects that.
I accounted for the double deaths on the boss (raocow died 171 times there, which was counted as 342 by the game). I rewatched the death by lava in the second part and the death counter only goes up by one there. However at the start of the third segment the death counter goes up twice. I think what happened there is that raocow hadn't used any checkpoints yet thus the level didn't know where to respawn Mario so it placed him in the void where he immediately died. If I'm right then that could only have happened once since raocow used the checkpoint right after that. Though in this case Mario did actually die twice (once from the spike and once from the void) rather than the death counter being incorrectly incremented so I'm not sure whether to remove that from the death counter. If you do choose to count that as one death (and assuming I'm not missing anything else) then I guess the final death count from that level would be 2970.

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Enjl wrote: 6 years ago
Sebby19 wrote: 6 years ago Neat, how'd you make the screen not scroll in the cave map?

I set the camera's x and y coordinates to a fixed value if the player's x-coordinate is greater than another specific value. The cave submap is positioned further right than anything else on this world map, so setting it up was rather straightforward.
Silly thing is that a camera's x and y coordinates are the top left of the SMBX window, INCLUDING the border. I originally assumed it was the top left of the actually visible area of the map, but alas, heh.
The "break" is basically that the camera snaps back once you walk far enough left.
So using the cheat, walking left will snap the camera back to normal function, but moving up, down, or right, and Mario will move off the screen?

raocow, can you demonstrate this after beating the game?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
The0x539
some SMBX2 dev dude

Post by The0x539 »

Sebby19 wrote: 6 years ago
Enjl wrote: 6 years ago

So using the cheat, walking left will snap the camera back to normal function, but moving up, down, or right, and Mario will move off the screen?

raocow, can you demonstrate this after beating the game?
Just tried. travL.lua, the thing for traversing paths like in SMW, breaks the cheat.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Ha, that's funny. The cheat meant to break the map is instead broken itself.

Also, for anyone who cares, -A- apologized in the Welcome/Introduction thread.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago sorry about the late episode this morning, I made a mistake when setting up the release hour!
did you do this again

how am I meant to eat sandwiches without my lunchtime raocow episode? Someone please advise
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

rip todays video
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

Post by Truhan »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 6 years ago
raocow wrote: 6 years ago sorry about the late episode this morning, I made a mistake when setting up the release hour!
did you do this again

how am I meant to eat sandwiches without my lunchtime raocow episode? Someone please advise
Don't blame Pyro, blame google. Youtube's been having error 500 all morning, that probably fucked with it.
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.