(shouting)

Obscure "Mega Man X" Game Where The Police Are After Us

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Obscure SNES Videogame, "Mega Man X"

Post by SAJewers »

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

OMG WHY ARE YOU NOT PLAYING MEGA MAN A-W FIRST raocow ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

TFW I'm watching LPs of the whole Mega Man X series through the LP Archive at the same time.

But yeah, this game had a few neat things that I wish they'd have added in the sequels instead of merely having the atmosphere. Don't get me wrong, I still like the series. I just feel that this game is the most distinct one for a reason.
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

It seems like you know a bunch about MMX. You've already pointed out a few details that I've never noticed before (like the lamps).

Also, how did you lose to Black Knight? Thankfully, Polar Knight should be a bit easier.
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

Ah, Megaman X. I'm not gonna' have much to say about this one because it sounds like raocow and I both got enough exposure to the game in our youths for several hundred people, but it will be interesting to see the bosses played in a presumably haphazard order.

Yes, by the way, you sure can die to Vile. It's just kind of hard to do sometimes.
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
Blue

Post by Blue »

I'd definitely agree that X has all the nice touches and that X3 has basically none, but X3 makes up for it by having so much stuff like chips and playing as Zero.

Also, yeah, you can die to Vile. I did it by accident as a wee lad on my last life and got really cross about it.
SAJewers wrote: 6 years ago Should've played the more superior DOS version/s
also this
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

So raocow, you are going to have to explain more about that cancelled TV project you last mentioned years ago. I'm sure plenty would be curious.

I find it neat in a alternate timeline, LP's could make it to mainstream television. They have a guy in Japan doing it, why not us?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

ever since i played megaman zero, i cannot play this game without either immediately setting dash to the L button in controls, or just setting emulator controls so that the A button is on L2, its so much more comfortable then trying to press both A and B at once.
SAJewers wrote: 6 years ago Should've played the more superior DOS version/s
i always wanted the controller that came with that dos version, turns out it was horrible so i didnt miss out on not getting it
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

This game looks all right, but it is very clearly a blatant Zook Man rip-off.
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

yeah, i'm really wondering how they got away with this one
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Joseph Staleknight

In today's video: How to do Flame Mammoth's stage the hard way.

Also in today's video: A Maverick so large you can see his in-Sigma-nia in his 16-bit sprite. Nice touch.
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

I always did Flame Mammoth second. I dunno why. I guess seeing the stage change made me assume he was the logical next boss after Chill Penguin.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

One advantage of going in reverse order is that raocow will be able to show off what happens when you hit Treasure Knight with Specter Knight's weapon. (Which would have been fun against Mole Knight too, but it's probably more useful in the Treasure Knight fight.)
Blue

Post by Blue »

Despite this game's many flaws that kept it languishing in obscurity for its entire existence, there's one feature about it (that was almost entirely removed in all non-Japanese versions!) that's pretty much unquestionably brilliant: Extremely silly boss names. Though he's called Flame Mammoth in the rest of the world, in Japan, he was called "Burnin' Noumander."

And you might be asking yourself: What the heck is a noumander? The answer is that its a corruption of Naumann's Elephant. The bosses follow the naming scheme of [something] [corrupted animal name]. Hence Boomer Kuwanger, which was the only name left untouched, but I'll get around to that later.

Storm Eagle was originally Storm Eagleed which isn't really much of a change.
Clyceer
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Clyceer »

Not gonna lie: I really wasn't expecting Storm Eagle this episode. I know he's Flame Mammoth's weakness and raocow was sort of poking fun at the end of last episode about what Fire might be weak to, but my playthroughs always started Chill Penguin, then Storm Eagle, then Flame Mammoth because Storm Eagle isn't that hard and I wanted the Head and Arm upgrades (and I can never remember what Storm Eagle is weak to).

Like, I thought raocow would have some order besides following the weakness chain and do something like Octopus. That's what would be next if he was reversing the any% route I found at http://megamanrta.wikia.com/wiki/Mega_Man_X and had simply opted for having Mammoth last pre-reversal because it can be at any point after Storm Eagle.
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

watching someone play a megaman x game without dashing is like mario without the run button held, it feels agonizingly slow.

Storm Eagle showcases something i really appreciated aboutthe x series and thats when it didnt just stick to rote formula and did stuff like these nonstandard boss arenas. while the original megaman has almost every single boss fight inside a boxed shaped room, The X series was wiling to change the environment and in some cases the arena layout for boss fights.(though it does lead to them being a bit more creative with the original series layouts in 8 and MM&B )
Joseph Staleknight

Tenlade wrote:Storm Eagle showcases something i really appreciated aboutthe x series and thats when it didnt just stick to rote formula and did stuff like these nonstandard boss arenas. while the original megaman has almost every single boss fight inside a boxed shaped room, The X series was wiling to change the environment and in some cases the arena layout for boss fights.(though it does lead to them being a bit more creative with the original series layouts in 8 and MM&B )
Yeah, it's those touches that show how much the devs were trying to make it its own thing. I think they do it once for Overdrive Ostrich in X2 as well.
Grounder

Re: Obscure SNES Videogame, "Sting Chameleon"

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

It's good to finally see our old friend R-megadon again. It makes sense that X can use them too since he also has Boki's power of copying enemy powers.
Joseph Staleknight

That Sting Chameleon fight was just TL;DW without his weakness. It's amazing what one simple difference like that can make in that one fight.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

It's also easier on the Maverick Hunter Version, where the chameleon has easier hitboxes to dodge, and is easier to hurt. Either way, by far the hardest boss to buster duel in Mega Man X.

Also, it's nice to see raocow back at Mega Man. I was surprised to see him playing this, but super happy, as well..
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

Tenlade wrote: 6 years ago ever since i played megaman zero, i cannot play this game without either immediately setting dash to the L button in controls, or just setting emulator controls so that the A button is on L2, its so much more comfortable then trying to press both A and B at once.
Yes, I do that too. Having dash on the shoulder button is so convenient.
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

Ironically, I loathed the shift of the dash input to shoulder buttons in the GBA games. Thought it was just the worst thing. It may be because I was growing up while the Megaman X games were coming out and pressing Y B A all at the same time was more convenient for smaller hands, but it took until the Megaman Zero Collection on DS for me to finally warm up to (and ultimately end up preferring) the shoulder buttons for this. Now it sure is hard to go back.

Anyway, I figured that Launch Octopus would be a harder buster duel than Sting Chameleon. I mean, at least you can DODGE Sting's attacks. You're just kind of at the mercy of Launch's missile spam, and if you lack the dash, you'll also be at the mercy of the whirlpool attack. Not gonna' lie, though: the last time I tried to buster duel Launch was over a decade ago, so maybe it's not as bad as younger me remembers.
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

raocow you keep not getting hearts why are you so heartless