(shouting)

Costumes for Ep. 2 (artists and opinions needed!)

The second SMBX collab!

Would you like A2XT to have unlockable costumes and/or accessories? (Please discuss)

Costumes (alternate graphics for specific characters)
49%
Accessories (wearable by every character)
6%
Both
32%
Neither
2%
Other (specify)
No votes
That's a trick question, Grim! Everyone knows that fruit bats are mammals.
11%

Total votes: 47

Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Re: Costumes for Ep. 2 (Minor optional content spoilers!)

Post by Chaoxys »

ztarwuff wrote: Oh yeah, you're right. The hair on Toad cosplay raocow just ends up looking like shading. Oh well, can't do much about it, I guess, unless he has an R painted on his chest but that would be silly.
Maybe a little, but not nearly to the extent I thought it would. I'll mess with it a bit more before I make his sheet, but I think it could work.
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

Made an update to Paper Demo (mainly her cape sheet in which I forgot to add front/back facing frames.
Attachments
PaperDemo.zip
(443.13 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

FInished Paper Kood. I tried to theme his power ups on koopa subspecies (although the bomb throwing hammer bros is based on an enemy from Midas Machine, at least design wise).

NOTE:Both flying power ups lack a frame from Kood facing towards/away from the player. I've added the facing towards frame in the corner, and the climbing frame is facing away.

The Lakitu power up causes the full cloud to spawn while Kood is sinking. If possible, use the 3rd frame of his walking animation for falling while in water (not sure how specific we can get with setting what frame plays where, so if it's an issue, I'll try to find a work around).
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Everything looks awesome so far. I also noticed the poll and voted for just costumes, since accessories seem too difficult to fit all different characters. On the other hand, visual effects like a light trail or sparkles could possibly be cool, depending on what you can make with the shaders.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Re: Costumes for Ep. 2 (artists and opinions needed!)

Post by Rixithechao »

Okay, gonna dust off this thread since there's some things we need to figure out.

First: With Willhart gone and his other contributions to the game removed, do we remove the Pily costume -- and possibly the Nevada one, I still don't know who did that set -- as well?

Second: We're not dropping the costume system, but in hindsight it was definitely way too big of an undertaking. Come Ep. 3 we should limit aesthetic unlockables to hats and other accessories that all characters can wear.

For now, there's the matter of how we're going to handle expressive sprites with costumes in cutscenes: we were initially hoping to have both, but without getting into too much technical detail we can't do that without a significant increase in workload. In fact, including the costumes in the cutscenes at all creates its own problems. So it's not ideal, but in the interest of keeping things manageable I propose that we use a visual effect like a puff of smoke to switch between the players' gameplay and cutscene graphics when necessary.

Last but certainly not least: I encourage everyone who'd like to help with Ep. 2 to offer costume ideas or try their hand at making one of the costumes on the first post's ideas list. If you need any help with how SMBX player graphics work, feel free to ask questions in this thread.

I can't guarantee that I'll be able to keep up with this thread or get back to work on my own costumes until Thursday or Friday due to IRL reasons, but everyone feel free to start discussing the above topics and/or submitting stuff in the meantime.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

I still have a bunch of costumes I'm working on/plan on working on, so don't worry. Looking at my full list of ones I want to make, I have around 26. That said, I've already finished a few, so I only have 15 to go, and a few of them are rather simple and won't take long to do.
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Chaoxys and I already discussed this in PM, but a quick follow-up to my point about costumes and cutscenes: I forgot I posted the PCs' cutscene sheets in the graphics thread a couple months ago. I'll go ahead and repost the one for Sheath here to help illustrate what I mean.

If we go with my proposal, this one sheet is all we need. If we want to have costumes persist through cutscenes, however, we'd first need to make variations of this sheet for every other powerup: small Sheath (same graphics but different file), Fire Sheath, Tanooki Sheath, Hammer Sheath, etc.
Once we have all seven sheets, we use them to create a set of seven new sheets for a given costume, bringing the total number of image files for each costume up to 14. If we can pull that off that'd be awesome, but right now it just doesn't seem realistic.

Now, there is another compromise, but it's extremely messy from a design perspective: if we forego preserving the player's powerup state in cutscenes, it'd mean just one extra sheet per costume. HOWEVER, this still leaves us with a bit of gameplay and story segregation that could be more confusing for players -- they'd keep their costumes in the cutscenes but be forced into the Big state. And if we were to force consistency through actually filtering the player's state, then every time they enter a cutscene we're potentially robbing them of a useful powerup.

Changing from, say, Gameboy Tanooki Sheath to regular Big Sheath when a cutscene starts will be a bit jarring for players at first, but it doesn't risk sending the player mixed messages like Gameboy Tanooki Sheath to Gameboy Big Sheath would.

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Mea

Post by Mea »

I would certainly like to contribute to this project. It would seem from the op that there's a bunch of stuff under the ideas that haven't been worked on yet, but I'd imagine that some people have already claimed them, implicitly or not. Which ones are actually open for grabs? I'm thinking of starting off with just one so I can get a feel for things.
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

If any of the ideas have been worked on in secret I wouldn't know about them, but I don't think anyone's shared costumes outside of this thread besides Chaoxys and he ends up posting them here eventually for the most part. The ones he hasn't shared here yet were new ideas he already made base sprites for so they went straight to WIP (like Christmas Tree Iris and Startropics Mikecow).

Folks are welcome to collaborate on costumes or pick up abandoned ones, but I do strongly encourage everyone to be open about which idea(s) they're working on and post visible progress ASAP so I can move them to WIP accordingly. The lists should be up to date now, though I still need to add links like I said I would on page 2.

And on that note, I'mma start Robin Kood to ease myself back into this stuff.

I'll get back to the 1px Demo when I'm done, but anyone else is welcome to snatch it up before then if they want. Just post an updated version of the sheet or one or more base sprites for the other powerup states.

Mea

Post by Mea »

neato, the individual sprites are to be 32x64, by the looks of things?
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

Heres an updated lineup of the costumes I'm going to be making (plus some base sprites for Broadsword I made)
Mea

Post by Mea »

So before I at all move forward with actual colors, details and etc, is there anything I should keep in mind programming wise? Like making sure the sprite is properly centerable or other such things I'm not aware of?
Also I'm going with Boki even though she's under the undecided section. I figure she could be a sheath costume since sword stab could be a kick and fireball could be shoot pose.

e: also after looking back at the other sprites, I'll make the head proportion a bit bigger to fit in with the style of what we already have.
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Ah, sorry, I meant to post this yesterday but I got caught up in something else.
32x64 is the general bounding box size, but the frames are fixed at 100x100. The sprites are usually aligned to the top left, but free to align them to the bottom center if it helps, we can specify offsets for individual frames.

Since you're doing it for Sheath, here's an imgur album with the most up-to-date versions of Sheath's sprites.
http://imgur.com/a/Gvjli

Mea

Post by Mea »

Cool thanks! I did download the main game (even though it's not working for me) but I do have all the graphics at least to refer to.
Seems so, not sure if it's the tool that you guys are using, but I did find a Player Character Calibrator that can let me align stuff when I get there.
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Yeah, the character calibrator is the tool we usually use. And just note that the main five's sprites are being updated for Episode 2; most of them are just minor tweaks (raocow is the only character who got a complete overhaul) but said changes aren't present in the sheets that come with Episode 1/the old A2XT devkit/the SMBX2 costumes.

Here's the changes and corresponding albums:

Demo & Iris: Modified frames for the spin jump
Kood: the white highlights on his skin have been changed to a lighter orange.
raocow: completely redone
Sheath: general touch-ups to hair and clothes, link-2.png recolored to be closer to her design in A.T.X.S.

Also, an important thing I forgot to mention: after discussing it with Hoeloe, we may be keeping the costumes in cutscenes after all.

The decision's not set in stone just yet but we'll most likely be going with the powerup compromise + the smoke puff thing + cutting the cutscene sheets down to 3 or 4 expressions per character:
  • victory/item get
  • angry
  • surprised/shocked/startled
  • eye(s) closed/contemplative/sad
Don't worry about doing those for now, we'll do what we can to provide them for all costumes made before the new base cutscene sheets are finalized.

Last but not least, small Robin Kood sheet done.
Last edited by Rixithechao 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Mea

Post by Mea »

ah ok, good to know about the updated graphics for the new episode.
boki wip, my direction for her
made the head proportion bigger, and also decided to do it in 16x32 instead and scale it up by 2, to match the rest of the non-paper mario style sprites
ImageImage

e: also, the player character calibrator allows you to use more (or less) than the default amount of animation frames for, say, walking. Are the configuration files that it produces something the smbx engine automatically reads if it's there, or are using non-default animation frames something you'd have to reach inside the player code to make special cases for?
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Boki's looking pretty good so far!

Things like offsets are used, but I'm not sure about additional properties like altered animation sequences. Each costume can have its own lua code to manage particles, unique animations and so on, though, so it's not too big an issue if we have to use code for some of the stuff; in fact, iirc some of Chaoxys' costumes use extra frames for walk cycles and stuff.

I guess depending on how the final sheets and ini files are distributed it might be best to specify any such quirks like that via a readme file or something. That way we'll have that info available when implementing and testing costumes in the game.

doctorvenuz
hi, i exist
First name: Doctor Venuz
Pronouns: he/she/they

Post by doctorvenuz »

saw that we was doing costumes for A2XT2, so i thought id lend my shitpost covered hands and help out

here's what i got for Demo and Iris
skins bby.png
will be updating this with raocow, Kood, and Sheath ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶

so yea, hope yall like it! :^D
hi, i exist
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

Made a different kind of costume tonight.

Have to split the sheet links into two because imgur is dumb.

HEAD

BODY
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

Cat Sheath

EDIT- Just a side note, the two frames after the statue frames are standing and ducking, this is because the walking animation requires 4 unique frames (none of which are the standing) and the jumping won't work for ducking.
Last edited by Chaoxys 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.