(shouting)

hypnosis redo: like rain on your wedding day

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: hypnosis redo: injoke turnabout

Post by Ryrir »

what i've learned today: it's perfectly fine to make a terrible level as long as you do it ironically

got it
this is getting laundromatic
underFlo
you spinda right round
First name: Florence
Pronouns: they/she

Post by underFlo »

haha boy this game sure is bad and definitely really sucks am i cool yet

(that said grand chemo sure is something)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by Classtoise »

Pyro wrote: 7 years ago OK THIS LEVEL NEEDS EXPLAINING

FIRST OF ALL THAT BUG IS HORRIBLE AND IM SO SAD NOW

Basically Grand Chemo 666 is like the one big injoke in this game. Back in the original dev of Hypnosis the original some conversation in skypehaus got brought up about 'the worst level ever' with tons of cgfx, endless explosions music (super overused in smbx community), and 21 sections and stars. I decided to actually make it for some ungodly reason (but got bored after like 4 sections) and enjl offered it to put it in the postgame.

Come hypnosis REDO and I tried to go for the original intent again and STILL got bored lol. So the level is basically just a giant mess of ideas. The freezing gimmick is taken from an absolutely garbage level from another 2k16 episode 'VVinter Redemption' (bad game please don't play it). And I think most people remember what the flashing water is a reference to :s.

You need a surge soup for that one star btw. It's the only way to get it. (it lets you run over lava). And the LORE is dumb and a reference to CC12 and also proof that i can't write anything serious to save my life without it sounding edgy.

But yeah this level is basically a remake of a purposefully awful level so that's why it's so bad lol. I apologize you had to go through it.
I mean.

All due respect but "I made it awful on purpose" does not really excuse that it's fucking awful!

It's arguably worse!
Spinda wrote: haha boy this game sure is bad and definitely really sucks am i cool yet

To be fair I'm not a fan of what ASMT became, either.
Ryrir wrote: what i've learned today: it's perfectly fine to make a terrible level as long as you do it ironically

got it
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

Spinda wrote: 7 years ago haha boy this game sure is bad and definitely really sucks am i cool yet

To be fair: The rest of what we've seen so far has honestly been pretty enjoyable. Pointing out flaws of a thing is always easy, pointing out the good things is not (which is why judge comments in contests feel lackluster more often than not).

Actually it's really just this one level that's been bad, although the justification "but it's all ironic calm down memes memes memes lmao" is questionable as well in my opinion. Maybe that's just not my humor though. And maybe Pyro didn't intend for her post to be a justification at all and I'm just reading into things again

It doesn't really matter either way though - Here's to hoping that the rest of the game will be more like the beginning!
this is getting laundromatic
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Re: hypnosis redo: like rain on your wedding day

Post by snoruntpyro »

I didn't intend it to be a justification???? It's a bad level. It has terrible ideas on purpose. It's bad. Me saying that it's made to be bad on purpose doesn't make it less bad.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

this sort of shit needs a disclaimer up front, not after the fact

this is all sorts of umbra level nonsense
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

As much as it's filled with terrible ideas... at least some portions are fun terrible ideas... and at least it has enough sense for the shortcut switches...

Some of the troublesome bits though, oof...
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

like that's the sad part because there sure is a lot of work in there for something that is supposed to be bad. In fact there sure are a lot of clever cool bits for something that's supposed to be bad ?
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Ryrir wrote: 7 years ago what i've learned today: it's perfectly fine to make a terrible level as long as you do it ironically

got it
One thing I've learned from watching LoadingReadyRun's Talking Simulator and Watch+Play streams is that you have to know the rules before you break the rules. If you want to make something that makes fun of terrible level design, you should know why it's terrible. you want this, not this.

(not saying today's level didn't do this, I'm just giving advice)
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Blue

Post by Blue »

still not as bad as murder death place zone
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

mdpz made it WAY MORE CLEAR that you aren't supposed to actually play it though
(thank you asmbxt hub team!)
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

oh boy it's the talkhaus time when people talk about whether it's "okay" to make something or not
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Leet wrote: 7 years ago oh boy it's the talkhaus time when people talk about whether it's "okay" to make something or not
yes you can make a deliberately bad level as awful as possible

that doesn't mean that it is a good idea
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

SAJewers wrote: 7 years ago you have to know the rules before you break the rules. If you want to make something that makes fun of terrible level design, you should know why it's terrible. you want this, not this.
both of these examples are hilarious though, in totally different ways. today's level... wasn't that. It wasn't funny, it wasn't goofy, it was just hard and bad. Like... I'm not saying people shouldn't make bad levels, but if you're gonna deliberately try and make "a bad level" and not signpost it with farce or whatever, then I'm gonna get annoyed when it proceeds to occupy my favourite LPer's episode time and make him genuinely frustrated with how unfun it is. Compare the hysterical laughter constantly throughout "a bad level" and its crazy bus music, with... anything in today's episode. Today's only ended in laughter because of how hysterically and unintentionally broken it ended up being.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

raocow wrote: 7 years ago mdpz made it WAY MORE CLEAR that you aren't supposed to actually play it though
(thank you asmbxt hub team!)
I liked it... though the music you chose really set the tone for the level.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Blue

Post by Blue »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 7 years ago both of these examples are hilarious though, in totally different ways. today's level... wasn't that. It wasn't funny, it wasn't goofy, it was just hard and bad. Like... I'm not saying people shouldn't make bad levels, but if you're gonna deliberately try and make "a bad level" and not signpost it with farce or whatever, then I'm gonna get annoyed when it proceeds to occupy my favourite LPer's episode time and make him genuinely frustrated with how unfun it is. Compare the hysterical laughter constantly throughout "a bad level" and its crazy bus music, with... anything in today's episode. Today's only ended in laughter because of how hysterically and unintentionally broken it ended up being.
The problem is that the level doesn't play like it's ironically bad, it plays like it really wanted to be good but didn't quite make it. There's a ton of good ideas in there that could all make for fun levels or fun segments in some kind of mega-level, but they're implemented in a way that makes them frustrating. It's the worst kind of bad because it's a single draft away from being good and also hard enough to make you deal with it for a long time and force you to take it seriously. a bad level wasn't hard, which made it easy to laugh at. The infrequent checkpointing certainly doesn't help, because you have to replay the bad over and over again, taking it seriously until you get good at it, and the easiest way to kill a joke is to repeat it a million times by making you replay it a bunch.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Blue wrote: 7 years ago The problem is that the level doesn't play like it's ironically bad, it plays like it really wanted to be good but didn't quite make it. There's a ton of good ideas in there that could all make for fun levels or fun segments in some kind of mega-level, but they're implemented in a way that makes them frustrating. It's the worst kind of bad because it's a single draft away from being good and also hard enough to make you deal with it for a long time and force you to take it seriously. a bad level wasn't hard, which made it easy to laugh at. The infrequent checkpointing certainly doesn't help, because you have to replay the bad over and over again, taking it seriously until you get good at it, and the easiest way to kill a joke is to repeat it a million times by making you replay it a bunch.
yeah, pretty much this. If it was meant to be a joke, it didn't have a setup or a punchline - it was just frustrating and full of questionable design and even the obvious humour was just a cliché of SMBX storytelling (oh man, it's like Luna Tower, but with Rinkas!)
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

I actually haven't even played the original Luna tower so idk what you're talking about TBH :s

But yeah. Money farming. Basically the one big issue with that game. HOWEVER once it's over with the game should be smooth sailing from this point on. The remaining levels are much better than anything so far.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

I commend Pyro for succesfully summoning the elusive raocow fuck.

Are cheat codes disabled somehow in this game? You've used them for arguably less aggravating SMBX levels in the past.

Giik

Post by Giik »

Hm, there's something about these solo-dev indie games that have ridiculously punishing postgames.

whoops .u.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

The bossfight against Ultimate Rinka looked fun, honestly. The rest of the level, not so much. If the entire episode was hard as hell levels like Grand Chemo, it wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb, but alas, what's been done can not be undone.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
raocow

Post by raocow »

well this is funny

video 3 of this series was just tagged as non-add friendly.

Like I don't really care, I'm just curious about what google's robots saw or heard.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

raocow wrote: 7 years ago well this is funny

video 3 of this series was just tagged as non-add friendly.

Like I don't really care, I'm just curious about what google's robots saw or heard.
dont u see

its because mudkip is naked!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Maybe zlaker's expletive at 18:44?
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by Classtoise »

Leet wrote: 7 years ago oh boy it's the talkhaus time when people talk about whether it's "okay" to make something or not
Oh boy it's the talkhaus time where someones pet project is called out and they get indignant!

You are totally allowed to make garbage levels.

This does not mean that we HAVE to enjoy it.
Blue wrote:
BobisOnlyBob wrote: 7 years ago both of these examples are hilarious though, in totally different ways. today's level... wasn't that. It wasn't funny, it wasn't goofy, it was just hard and bad. Like... I'm not saying people shouldn't make bad levels, but if you're gonna deliberately try and make "a bad level" and not signpost it with farce or whatever, then I'm gonna get annoyed when it proceeds to occupy my favourite LPer's episode time and make him genuinely frustrated with how unfun it is. Compare the hysterical laughter constantly throughout "a bad level" and its crazy bus music, with... anything in today's episode. Today's only ended in laughter because of how hysterically and unintentionally broken it ended up being.
The problem is that the level doesn't play like it's ironically bad, it plays like it really wanted to be good but didn't quite make it. There's a ton of good ideas in there that could all make for fun levels or fun segments in some kind of mega-level, but they're implemented in a way that makes them frustrating. It's the worst kind of bad because it's a single draft away from being good and also hard enough to make you deal with it for a long time and force you to take it seriously. a bad level wasn't hard, which made it easy to laugh at. The infrequent checkpointing certainly doesn't help, because you have to replay the bad over and over again, taking it seriously until you get good at it, and the easiest way to kill a joke is to repeat it a million times by making you replay it a bunch.
There was a thing about this on Game/Film Theory (yes yes I know), where MatPat talks about why PewdiePies Fiverr thing backfired so terribly but Louis CK can make controversial jokes all the time and get away with it. Like SAJewers said, you need to know the rules to break them. In the Louis CK example, he knows how to set up and deliver a joke so that the intent is CLEARLY not "Horrible thing is okay". Likewise, a bad level done right needs to make it CLEAR that "THIS IS BAD ON PURPOSE", otherwise it becomes "This is bad because I gave up trying".
:bi_pride: :trans_pride: