(shouting)

Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Performance Edition

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Pillar Edition

Post by ft029 »

sometimes editing other people's levels doesn't lead to good times (see all the elite koopas added to late SMWCP levels)
Mosts Awards:
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Procellous Edition

Post by Ryrir »

Well I really don't want to be that guy but I beat Rainy Mountain first try without any problems and really liked the design, so...
I agree that the position of some of the lightning bolts in the second half can be kind of tricky to get around and you don't have a lot of reaction time, but it's still very much possible to do it first try. The part where you're passing a lava lotus while falling on donut blocks is a lot simpler than raocow made it out to be (just hug the right wall yo), and I thought that the visual lightning effect that paints the screen white for the fraction of a second is pretty neat: It doesn't affect the player in the sense that they're not going to die from it, but it still keeps you on your toes. Even the ice physics are manageable in this particular level.

Really the only issue I have with it personally is that the pop-up mushroom in the second half is really awkward to get/notice, but other than that I don't understand raocow's criticism to be honest

Edit: even the dragon coins were all in one half of the level to accommodate the player
Last edited by Ryrir 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
this is getting laundromatic
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

I think this rain level was also by SIG (I know there's a list somewhere, but it's more fun to keep guessing). I didn't see much wrong with the level. If you do not die repeatedly to the same things because you've got the memory of a goldfish it's quite a reasonable special-world (tubular, outrageous) sort of challenge.
dont wanna jihad no more
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

so there's a level with a missing dragon coin. I checked and indeed it's a confirmed bug. Because of this, since I cannot trust those things, I'm not going to be going for dragon coin runs unless it gets fixed.

apparently this wasn't an issue in a previous release version but it is in this one so....
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

You looked at Big Brawler's video, right?

He's wrong, there are five dragoncoins in that level no matter which version you play, one of them just got moved in between version updates for whatever reason. Big Brawler didn't know about this so he just assumed that it was a bug.

To get it in the latest version that you're currently playing on you need to

jump in the hole next to the third dragoncoin. I believe the signs are supposed to be an indication, but it's really vague

All the levels with a dragoncoin icon in the game have five dragon coins.
Last edited by Ryrir 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

welp!

though I never would have guessed that, wow.
Like that is really silly.
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

raocow wrote: 7 years agothough I never would have guessed that, wow.
Like that is really silly.
Yes, it's the most ""well"" hidden dragon coin in the game. I guess I can't really blame Brawler for assuming that something must have gone wrong in between version updates.

The rest of the dragon coins should be a lot easier to find though (most of them are just directly alongside the path), so something like this shouldn't happen again.
went

Post by went »

"Honey, I lost my girder".

I lost it* there.

*Not the girder.
"Touhou is wrong" - Horikawa Otane
hanayamata

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Pillar Edition

Post by hanayamata »

Last edited by hanayamata 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
morsel/morceau

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Paucity Edition

Post by morsel/morceau »

I think the 'Recycling' name is a pun: as well 'cycling' around segments of the level, the whole level is made up of bits and pieces of Anikiti's old levels from Luigi's Adventure, Mario X World, etc. (I think this is correct -- I can't identify them off-hand).
dont wanna jihad no more
hanayamata

Post by hanayamata »

Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Psychrophilic Edition

Post by Super Maks 64 »

I get that the Yoshi Coin could disappear, because of object memory,but I think you could just move the coin or whatever in the other rooms that makes it disappear or change its position in the main room rather than put it in a long sublevel which has no indication of its existance. Other than that there were some sprite tile issues, for example raocow died to an invisible Dry Bones, because of the Boo Ring.

The foreground in the ice castle has an interesting idea behind it, but I think it looks bad with that tileset, it looks kind of cut off.
I think shock waves should stay on their ledge or teleport instantly to the ground below/above until it falls into a pit, so it makes more sense, shock waves that move in mid air and can be spinjumped on don't make much sense; also their graphic is pretty bad, it's hard to notice them.

So the switches are at the:
-end of world 1
-middle of world 2
-end of world 2 (slightly questionable)
-start of world 3 (really questionable)
Kowkarot
Ally of Laziness

Post by Kowkarot »

morsel/morceau wrote: 7 years ago I think the 'Recycling' name is a pun: as well 'cycling' around segments of the level, the whole level is made up of bits and pieces of Anikiti's old levels from Luigi's Adventure, Mario X World, etc. (I think this is correct -- I can't identify them off-hand).
I think I've seen that segment in the secret room with the platform going left and right and up and down with the two podoboos in every single one of his hacks, so I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing was made of recycled bits, since recycling is already something Anikiti does all the time.
raocow

Post by raocow »

I need an information.

The 'red' level dot that starts world 3; is it red because there's an actual secret exit, or is the redness just because of the switch palace. Because if there's a second 'exit' to that level I got no idea where it's at, yo.
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

It's red because of the switch palace, there's no actual secret exit
Kowkarot
Ally of Laziness

Post by Kowkarot »

I want to ask something about a level in world 4, (and also bitch about it) so this is definitely a spoiler:

Is Phantom of Mirror even possible to beat? I didn't expect to find something even worse than the secret exit in Summit of the Gods, but then I played this piece of crap. Seriously, an extremely annoying gimmick, sprites disappearing everywhere, an extremely low amount of time, dragon coins, no indication to where the mirror exactly is, etc. Is there something I'm missing? Is there a trick to it? Am I playing the wrong version? Does anything even make sense? Will there be more levels like this?
This is the first time in quite a while since I had to use tools to beat a level in a legit hack, and I'm sure as hell don't think raocow will be able to beat it either unless he has the patience of a saint. So again, am I missing something or is the level seriously this horrible?

Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

@kowkarot (spoilers!)

Try pressing the start button.

Don't move the screen too much at a time, try moving it in slow, steady "bursts". The mirror is exactly in the middle of the screen whenever you stop moving it, so try to be in an absolute safe spot whenever you do so. (Whenever you move the screen the mirror becomes "fluid" and it's near impossible to predict exactly where any of the sprites are.)

Getting all the powerups is crucial, because it allows you to tank stuff. The best way to get a powerup is to align its block directly in the middle of the screen.

Sprites become invisible when there's two or more boo circles on screen. In practice, this means that there is one boo in the middle of the boo circles near the third dragon coin that is always going to be invisible. The only consistent way of getting around that obstacle is having a powerup when you get there.

Getting all the dragon coins involves learning all the enemy placements by heart. Beating the level normally is a lot more reasonable.

Yes, this level is terrible, but there are no more levels like that left in the hack.

Ryrir

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Pyrokinesis Edition

Post by Ryrir »

This level is one of the best of the hack. Yosakoi appears to be some kind of traditional Japanese dance?

World three in general has some pretty cool gimmicks, so I'm looking forward to the next couple of videos!
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Post by Super Maks 64 »

That was a great gimmick level kind of similar to something that could be in JUMP, although it makes the previous level which had burnable blocks look worse.

The only time I saw a level that activated three events was in

TSRP2R

(I really hope raocow plays it this year, because of the anniversary)

, but usually a level should only activate up to two events (unless you create a sprite or something that activates a third event).
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Even when the level is good, the hack still finds a way to undercut what otherwise would have been a positive experience (this time by sending raocow on a wild goose chase for a nonexistent second exit).
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Doesn't this hack use lock icons in the stage name bar anyways? There wasn't one for this level, only the switch and dragon coin icons.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Voltgloss wrote: 7 years ago Even when the level is good, the hack still finds a way to undercut what otherwise would have been a positive experience (this time by sending raocow on a wild goose chase for a nonexistent second exit).
Maybe the secret exit was within ourselves all along.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

Dragon Fogel wrote: 7 years ago Doesn't this hack use lock icons in the stage name bar anyways? There wasn't one for this level, only the switch and dragon coin icons.
It only uses the lock icon if the secret exit is a key and a keyhole. If the other exit is another goal post or a goalorb or a switchpalace or a boss or literally anything else, there won't be a keyhole icon next to the level name.

There are no secret exits in castles, fortresses or ghosthouses without a keyhole icon though.

I think the main goal was to clear up the confusion whether or not a castle/ghost house has a secret exit or not, and they succeeded in doing that. Creating a difference between two kinds of red levels is pretty weird though
Kowkarot
Ally of Laziness

Post by Kowkarot »

Was the Yosakoi level made by Hanayamata? I know he's only using that name here, but Hanayamata is an anime about girls dancing Yosakoi, so I thought it was related xD

and thanks Ryrir, I managed to get to the midpoint somehow, but I still don't think I'll get all the dragon coins, that may be my limit.
hanayamata

Post by hanayamata »