(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

A few days late, but I beat Axiom Verge.

The ending was definitely quite lackluster for all that the early game and midgame built up to. It comes off to me as rushed and incomplete, like the game was finished solely to reach the deadline for Sony's contract or something. (For those not in the know, the developer for the game was sponsored through Sony's pub fund) Since I don't know the details, (and the game was originally considered to launch even earlier than 2015) I wouldn't go around saying the release date was contracted, that's just my sentiment about the ending.

I can't concisely express all of my thoughts here, but what I will say is that if you like the gameplay of the first Metroid and Super, you'll be rather at home here. This game does not hold your hand, and it's my favourite thing about it. I don't recommend collecting all items since that's a pain in the butt, but completing the main game wasn't too difficult for me.

However, if you desire a Metroid-like story setting, do not buy this game. Axiom Verge has a nice sci-fi plot, but it has little to none of the same appeals as the Metroid series. Even if you don't care about Metroid, I wouldn't go into the game just for its story, either. The characters are mediocre at best, and really let down the value of the story overall. Buy this game only for gameplay.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Because it was released on the PS4 recently, I'm now going through Ys Origin. My bro started it as Yunica, so I'm playing as Hugo. It's so weird playing one of these games as someone other than Adol, but it is a prequel game.
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Slimeman01 »

So I finally upgraded to Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+, and on my first playthrough with

Eden

, I managed to defeat

Hush

while only getting hit once, then I proceeded to beat

Isaac

in the same playthrough.
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3

Post by YelseyKing »

I decided I'd go back through the Zelda Oracle games, in order to complete my ring collection at long last. I did Ages->Seasons a couple years ago, so now it's time for Seasons->Ages. They sure did make it time consuming enough to get every ring. I have 61/64 of them, with the only three missing ones *being* the Seasons->Ages linked ones. Why am I doing this? Because I'm a perfectionist. :P
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

I've been playing Nier: Automata. It's pretty interesting. I don't seem to have run into any of the common pc port issues which is good. Worst issue with the port was that when I went to quit playing yesterday the game seemingly got lost on its way to the main menu and I had to force close it.

I do have to complain about the fixed camera segments though. They're almost universally mediocre angles but during the third boss fight there's a phase that's even worse where they decided a nearly vertical angle in a wide open room with tons of turret-esque enemies all shooting at you with bullets that drag you into a minigame that takes 10-15 seconds to get through at its fastest was a good idea. 110% of the hits I took during that phase of the fight were because I physically could not see the shots coming until they were less than a second away from me. Also they decided not to give you any introduction to the minigame which means not only do you have to figure the controls out on your own but you also have to figure out what the goal even is on your own. It's simple enough that most people shouldn't struggle too much with it but that entire phase of the fight is just atrociously designed. It turned what was an otherwise fun fight into one that was tedious and infuriating.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

I now have *all* 64 rings in the Zelda Oracle duology. NEVER AGAIN! That is a thing and a half.

Moists:

Jongseok

Post by Jongseok »

SMW Hack: New Super Mario World: The 12 Magic Orbs
JRPG : Chrono Cross
Araragi Marisa's Anime List: MAL List
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

time to get some more progress in on the oversteer-fest that is Vanishing Point
can i get a handle on it this time?
whoooooo knooooooooooooooooooooows
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I finished my run of Ys Origin with Hugo and am playing as the other character now. I think I'll finish Yunica's run up and put the game down for a bit before moving on to something else. Once I'm done with editing again, I'm thinking it'll either be the new Zelda or Persona 4. The latter was a gift, and I have a goal to get through those kind of games this year, so I'm leaning towards that one right now.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Finished the two Zelda Oracle games. Man, those are some underrated gems. I love the way they link up in different ways depending on the order in which you play them... and that they do so via passwords, rather than requiring a link cable... *and* that they're both *completely* different games, meaning you can get one and still have a full experience... or get both, and have one uber-Zelda. It's kind of a shame I never owned a GBC in the day, because I'd have loved them back then, too.

Moists:

Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Bean wrote: 7 years agoI finished my run of Ys Origin with Hugo and am playing as the other character now. I think I'll finish Yunica's run up and put the game down for a bit before moving on to something else. Once I'm done with editing again, I'm thinking it'll either be the new Zelda or Persona 4. The latter was a gift, and I have a goal to get through those kind of games this year, so I'm leaning towards that one right now.
You definitely don't want to put it down after Yunica's run if you've already beaten it with Hugo as well. You'll miss something fairly important if you do. (I won't elaborate because spoilers but you'll understand what I mean when you finish Yunica's run.)
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I know what you're talking about, but I'm just putting it to the side for the time being. I'll come back to it eventually for that.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

This one was a long time coming.
I took a break midway through and randomly played Kingdom Hearts, then finally got back to it... and now Final Fantasy Five is finished.

Really really fun game. Loved that it was basically 3 but better. Gilgamesh best char.
I did get lost... quite a bit. Also, had some annoyances with some of the enemies, in particular these dudes that cast Lvl2,3,4 and 5 spells. Also this robot near the end that basically mopped the floor with me unless I completely avoided it.

I did enjoy myself despite taking a break in the middle of it, it easily slots in as my second favorite of the ones I've completed so far.

Rankings: X,5,2,1,3,4
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

pholtos wrote: 7 years agoAlso this robot near the end that basically mopped the floor with me unless I completely avoided it.
That would be Omega. It's an optional super boss. You do the math. :P

And yeah, FF5 is one of the more fun games in the series. Gotta love that job system.

Moists:

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Blossom Tales is out, and the first 30 mins are pretty enjoyable.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Completed Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories for the first time. Hardest fights were the end bosses, so good job there game.
In Marluxia's case, I had to learn the ancient art of DODGING THINGS! And then it became anticlimactic in having a second form which was an easy to predict always does the same pattern but with way too much health giant ship. Where it only took me one attempt but took like twenty minutes.
In Ansem's case, after like 5 failures I discovered that simply timing my cards with his I'd win the exchange more often than not, and just won before he killed me. :P

Gotta say, I much moreso preferred Riku's style of gameplay to Sora's. I appreciated the ability to strengthen my attacks, and I found it much simpler to adapt to each deck as it was presented to me at each world.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Well, not playing any motion control games for the time being because of my shoulder, so I wound up going to the PSP to go through Bomberman on it instead. Once you build up a stockpile of items, the thing gets fun enough. It played like an old-school one, so don't think you're getting some N64 or Gamecube adventure here.

While I have the PSP, I decided to also borrow Lunar: Silver Star Harmony. I think it's a remake of the first one, and I've heard good things about it.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

I beat the super clunky, animation borked, sound sometimes glitching out during cutscenes game called Avatar the Last Airbender: The Burning Earth. If you've watched the show, that would be Book 2. The game skips a few chapters and moves stuff around, but you do get to play as the greatest character in beat em up history: Momo the Lemur. Who has a ranged attack where he throws either a tomato, a cabbage, a watermelon or a pumpkin. Nothing shall ever beat that.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

pholtos wrote: I beat the super clunky, animation borked, sound sometimes glitching out during cutscenes game called Avatar the Last Airbender: The Burning Earth. If you've watched the show, that would be Book 2. The game skips a few chapters and moves stuff around, but you do get to play as the greatest character in beat em up history: Momo the Lemur. Who has a ranged attack where he throws either a tomato, a cabbage, a watermelon or a pumpkin. Nothing shall ever beat that.
Momo is great in the versus arena thing. He's small, fast, has a good knock-back skill... Probably the best character. Maybe a little OP.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

So in playing another randomly picked game, I got Donald Duck: Goin Quackers. A very odd title but it plays very well and feels like Crash Bandicoot 1 but way tamer.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Change Lunar to Persona 4. I finally decided to start that one up. It had been sitting on my shelf for way too long.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Finished Koudelka, finally. It's actually a rather short game, but I played it very sporadically, which is why it took so long. Interesting look at what preceded the Shadow Hearts series. On the whole, the game was pretty good, but you could definitely tell it wasn't what the director envisioned. The combat is slow-paced and, though it plays like a strategy RPG, there really isn't a great deal of strategy. It also had a problem in which the game just *told* you what was happening in text boxes, rather than *showing* you. And the cutscenes were voice-only, no subtitles, which could be a problem at times.

On the plus side, it had great atmosphere and an interesting story (if predictable; if you've played the Shadow Hearts games, you pretty much already know how it'll turn out), and had some interesting mechanics, like the pseudo "loot" aspect of weapons, armor, and accessories having semi-randomized effects and attributes. It's not overly challenging, and if you spend even a small amount of time grinding, you'll likely be *very* overlevelled (you gain levels *very* fast), but it's nevertheless an interesting game. I'm not sure I'd openly recommend it, but to anyone who liked the Shadow Hearts series and want to see how it all began, it's worth a look.

Moists:

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Well I'm surprised I managed it but I beat Kingdom Hearts 2, this time fully. I had played it in the past but never managed to beat the final boss. Replaying it this time I managed it. Fun game.

I wonder what fortune cookie will give me next... uhh? Some sorta stealth game.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Persona 4's fun so far on the PS2. Shouldn't be surprised, but I am in terms of the combat system and dungeon exploration. I figured that was going to be on the weak side, but no, it's clicking for me. The social aspect of the thing adds to it. Glad my friend got me this game.
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I started KH 1.5+2.5 HD ReMix Final Mix Extra Spice.
I kinda skipped KH1 because it's too clunky-feeling to me, so now I'm playing KH2 and Re:Chain of Memories together-ish.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel