(shouting)

Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Performance Edition

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Lockirby2

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Punctuality Edition

Post by Lockirby2 »

Great, now I'm hungry. :(
Sebby19

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Punctuality Edition

Post by Sebby19 »

Ryrir wrote:Switch blocks are weird in this game. There are basically two different types of them: One with a white exclamation mark, and the ones with a black exclamation mark.

The standard ones with a white exclamation mark always give you an item. The yellow and the green blocks give you the standard mushroom/feather, but the red one gives you a fireflower and the blue one a poison mushroom as well.
It's been a few years actually since the last hack that had the Blue and Red Switch Blocks give something when bopped.

I think the Blue one gave the Fire Flower, while the single Red one gave the only Yoshi in the game (it was either an end- of post-game thing). I can't remember the hack name, though.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Paleolimnology Edition

Post by Ryrir »

Yeah, you could play the star world levels as you encounter them, since they're not really any easier or harder than the levels surrounding them on the normal side of things. It doesn't really matter either way though, so do as you like (:
Do they have anything to do with the switch palaces though?? A mystery for the ages
this is getting laundromatic
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

There was a partially submerged castle in VIPs 1 and 5, each made by Sui. If you've played his hacks it's very obvious from the graphics/music/level design he made this submerged castle as well.
dont wanna jihad no more
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Post by Super Maks 64 »

EXPRESS has some really weird graphical choices (original+redrawn+custom), but other than that it's a nice autoscroller.

Boing Boing Sweets felt like a 1F0 level except the tiles are bouncy and Mario interacts with them, it's a good level.

The Switch blocks idea I think is good because it seperates platforming rewards and power-up rewards (it was pretty funny to spawn bajilion powerups from the blocks in Star World 4/5) and the reverse blocks seem to just unlock passages, too bad there isn't an option to reverse them.

R Lake is interesting, because it uses water to change the basic platforming and not change the whole way Mario controls. The muncher blocks look weird for hurt blocks, I think a skull would be more fitting.

Submerged Castle is a good underwater obstacle dodging level though the time limit is strict. Also random Iggy.

So I guess R levels just indicate that the level path will lead to the Star World.

On a side note where is the Yellow Switch, so many levels used yellow blocks in world 1?
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Nice double-50 yesterday, by the way.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Sebby19 wrote: 7 years ago Nice double-50 yesterday, by the way.
Even better how they were both squandered at 99 lives
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

This game has some pretty cool design. I'm definitely looking forward to the harder levels near the end.
Ryrir

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Panplain Edition

Post by Ryrir »

The secret exits of the next two levels are going to be a thing. The hacks stops playing nice from here on out!
hanayamata

Post by hanayamata »

Last edited by hanayamata 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

hanayamata wrote: 7 years ago

Also I'm certain we fixed that event before release...

Would it be possible that raocow is playing an outdated version? Maybe there are different versions of the hack floating around... I just linked to the only one I could find on SMW Central. There is not an "official" download page for the hack, is there?
Nao
Pronouns: he

Post by Nao »

http://smwx.s602.xrea.com/view.cgi/1430139582/
This one might be more official o:
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Post by Super Maks 64 »

So the R means that the level is Megaman inspired. I didn't expect that.

There is a level about reversing gravity in Kitiku Mario, I believe it's a fortress in world 5, but that didn't have those rad Thwimps. The switches in this hack are found in levels like in TSRPR, huh. The level was neat, but the boss was kinda questionable, you got plenty of Fire Flowers and you could avoid every enemy by staying under the ledge and only had to wait for a Koopa, and even if there were enemies in the way you could tank it with the provided powerups.

The On/Off water level was also neat and it had some clever uses of it like with the "Charlie" and the star run.

The next level is a thing, huh.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Oh dear, I was hoping raocow would be smart enough to not enter red level after playing two levels, but apparently not.

Anyway, sorta delayed angrycow warning for 2-2. It is expected that this may even take two episodes.

Also, if the level broke you, rest of a game is better, this level is just pretty much the stupidest level in a game.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

I remember playing the earlier version of 2-2 without the midpoint. Now that was a thing. The current version is at least manageable, but I would still call it the worst level in the hack (just lots of awkward stuff).
dont wanna jihad no more
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

Nao wrote: 7 years ago http://smwx.s602.xrea.com/view.cgi/1430139582/
This one might be more official o:
Thanks for the link! I've updated the OP.
raocow might want to switch his sram/savestates over to this version, just to be save? Although switching sram will have no effect on overworld edits, so...

edit: no, false alarm, raocow is already playing on v1.10
Divemissile

Post by Divemissile »

the levels today were super rad, i loved how creative the gimmicks were. that cave level sounds interesting, i guess.
zagesaw

Post by zagesaw »

I tried playing this hack after raocow started it, and I gave up on one of the exits of 2-3. I'd just assumed that the hack was gonna get worse and worse and the level is just so horrendously awful. Glad to hear that it gets better after that level so I might give it another chance now.

Honestly I found one of the exits of 2-3 to be alright, but the other one is by far one of the stupidest gimmicks I've ever seen in a SMW romhack level. After about losing 30 lives or so I just stopped playing the hack because of it.

EDIT: I'm thinking of 2-3, not 2-2
Last edited by zagesaw 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

zagesaw wrote: 7 years agoHonestly I found one of the exits of 2-2 to be alright, but the other one is by far one of the stupidest gimmicks I've ever seen in a SMW romhack level. After about losing 30 lives or so I just stopped playing the hack because of it.
Are you sure you have the correct solution to the puzzle?

If your solution involves carrying the springboard around for half the level, then grabbing the pswitch from the very last area you're doing it wrong

Once you do it the way the author intended it's not any worse than the normal exit (it might even be easier because you're dealing with less cats).
Unless of course you already found the secret exit and it's the normal exit that gives you trouble, in which case I recommend just bringing two fireflowers into the level and take it from there.
zagesaw

Post by zagesaw »

Oh wait it wasn't 2-2 that I was thinking of. Although I didn't manage to find the secret exit yet. The level that I am thinking of is 2-3.

It's the level where you are nearly completely blind in the second half with really awkward wind physics. I thought we were talking about that level.

The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

zagesaw wrote: 7 years ago Oh wait it wasn't 2-2 that I was thinking of. Although I didn't manage to find the secret exit yet. The level that I am thinking of is 2-3.

It's the level where you are nearly completely blind in the second half with really awkward wind physics. I thought we were talking about that level.

Ah, that level. I first played it over a year ago and I still have nightmares. 2-2 is hard, but it's nothing compared to 2-3. That level made me give up on the game too.
Nao
Pronouns: he

Post by Nao »

Huh. I actually had a lot of fun with 2-3, but 2-2 just frustrated me. Let's see how raocow will like them :D
Ryrir

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Parlous Edition

Post by Ryrir »

Holy cow, this went SO MUCH better than I thought it would!!
Props to raocow, if he continues to play the way he played today, this hack will be a piece of cake after all! (Well, not really, but still...)
I'm super impressed!

Like raocow said at the end of the video, this level would be so, so much better if it had more powerups. Put one powerup at the start of the stage, two more in the second half and this stage would actually be pretty decent.

It's kind of too bad, and unfortunately it's a thing that we'll see again in this hack: Unlike the VIPs, which also had ridiculous levels like the one we saw today, this game has a pretty big problem with powerup starvation.
One thing that's really great about the VIPs in my opinion is that they're not afraid to hand out powerups pretty generously, even feathers. This hack is a lot more stingy unfortunately, and it really brings quite a few levels down, which otherwise would have been great.

Difficulty warning for tomorrow's level, it combines two of raocow's top #5 least favorite gimmicks
Tyty

Post by Tyty »

There's just something about the Cave Story hell tileset. I swear that it's cursed.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

raocow, did you ever try spinjumping on those fireball enemies? You only accidentally found you could kill them with shells so it seems like you didn't actually bother checking what ways you could kill them despite the fact you were going out of your way to get them out of your way.