(shouting)

Psychonauts - end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Psychonauts - Intermittent Explosive Neon Gallery

Post by SAJewers »

I think he records the Marios first, so that probably doesn't help.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

kurt91 wrote:So, after this long of watching raocow struggle with Psychonauts, I think that we need to be a bit more careful on the game recommendations. Yeah, he's probably going to enjoy the atmosphere, but we need to either clue him in ahead of time of the type of game (adventure game with platforming, not traditional platformer) so he knows what kind of mindset to get into when he starts playing, or something. raocow's proven with the Milkman Conspiracy level that when it finally does dawn on him to think of this as an adventure game, he's more than competent. The issue with this game seems to be that the time spent between recording sessions causes him to forget that, and he begins each episode with a traditional platformer mindset.

Something that's more straightforward with the type of game it is, such as Bomberman 64 as an example, would probably be an easier experience not because of the simpler puzzles to it, but because it's fully transparent on what kind of game it is. We need to either make absolutely sure raocow knows what he's getting into ahead of time without actually spoiling the game content for him, or pick games that are more straightforward on what kind of experience it's going to be.
This reads like factors to keep in mind when choosing appropriate games for a four-year-old, not an adult like raocow is. I'm sure he'll be able to manage? This playthrough is fine.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in the comments, I'm pretty sure you were making things a little hard on yourself with the swinging bars, raocow; if I remember correctly, Raz doesn't need to do a full relevation each time before you can jump. You should be able to just mash the jump button to make him do consecutive quick jumps from one to the next.
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

I guess raocow didn't notice the pyro meter showing up when he was using pyrokinesis on that oven thing. It figures that the one time he doesn't keep trying to use a power on an object 20 times in a row is the one time where it's actually doing something.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

"He could have been on the wrestling team, but that doesn't make sense" - someone who just fought multiple wrestling matches in dude's mind
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

raocow has always been a little scatterbrained, but that's why we love 'em.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

tirakai wrote:I guess raocow didn't notice the pyro meter showing up when he was using pyrokinesis on that oven thing. It figures that the one time he doesn't keep trying to use a power on an object 20 times in a row is the one time where it's actually doing something.
Yeah, it was weird he didn't notice. I guess he was paying more attention to the audio cues, and looked to the left when he finished.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Dark_Paratroopa

Post by Dark_Paratroopa »

It doesn't help that he hasn't purchased any dream fluffs. The bosses are only going to get worse from here.

He hasn't even realized he can give the roses to the ladies so they'll let him hide in their windows...
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

IS THAT WHAT THE ROSES DO!? :o

Holy crap, learn something new everyday, I guess.

Also, don't know why you guys are going on about Dream Fluffs. I don't think I've ever actually used one.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

I went the entire game without using a Dream Fluff, myself... but if raocow's strategy in every boss fight is going to remain "charge in, attack wildly, and tank hits", then they certainly couldn't *hurt*.

Granted, it's not like dying, or even losing all your "lives" makes much difference. But still.

Also, the thermometer graphic appears whenever you use Pyrokinesis on a valid target. There are just many objects that can't be lit on fire, such as basically every human except Boyd, the G-Men, and the Rainbow Squirts, and the thermometer never actually rises if it can't be.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

YelseyKing wrote:Also, the thermometer graphic appears whenever you use Pyrokinesis on a valid target. There are just many objects that can't be lit on fire, such as basically every human except Boyd, the G-Men, and the Rainbow Squirts, and the thermometer never actually rises if it can't be.
Of course everyone in the pyromaniac's mind is flammable.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

BobisOnlyBob wrote:
YelseyKing wrote:Also, the thermometer graphic appears whenever you use Pyrokinesis on a valid target. There are just many objects that can't be lit on fire, such as basically every human except Boyd, the G-Men, and the Rainbow Squirts, and the thermometer never actually rises if it can't be.
Of course everyone in the pyromaniac's mind is flammable.
Oh no! It's happening again! Spontaneous combustion caused by government LSD tests!

Moists:

Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

It's too bad raocow never uses the Bacon to ask Cruller's advice about bosses, because the conversation they have about Eagle is hilarious.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

So... playing ahead of the LP here.... I just started the next world.... and I have to say.... I look forward to raocow's reaction to it.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i'm not surprised this world is taking so long, i feel like of all the worlds in the game this one is the most confusing to navigate. it's really aesthetically pleasant but there's like, very few landmarks and it's all very claustrophobic in design.

the next world can be pretty confusing to navigate though too, so
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Post by Super Maks 64 »

That Egg Cerberus fight was very confusing.

Approaching the end I guess, also I think the next video will be interesting.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Huh. That "get the dog to paint the ad on the wall" bit is actually completely optional. I ended up missing it when I played through. Seems like that golden helmet is one of the few things in this game that's truly missable.

Fun fact: There are actually Confusion Grenade Expansion items in both Gloria and Fred's stages. They don't appear until you actually *have* that power, though, so I had to backtrack to get them, since I did Edgar's stage last of the three. Fun times.

Moists:

Blue

Post by Blue »

Super Maks 64 wrote: 7 years ago That Egg Cerberus fight was very confusing.

Approaching the end I guess, also I think the next video will be interesting.
I was writhing in agony at "No, stupid bull, get out of the way!" and screaming at raocow to go AROUND the bull instead of trying to go directly through it like 20 times.

really hope we get more stuff like that in the next few videos
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i'm just going to assume raocow is going to overcomplicate every boss at least a little
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
heycallmeZe

Post by heycallmeZe »

Four things I will say:

1. raocow why do you specifically position yourself in spots on swing bars that will likely cause you to fall? I feel like half of his falls in that one segment of Edgar's world were less about the game being dumb, and more him consistently moving too far to the left when he should've aimed for the center of the bar.

2. After the next world, you'll be entering the endgame, somewhat. I'd dedicate a portion of a video to heading back to those places you didn't get all the Memory Vaults, namely:
  • One in Oleander's
  • One in Milla's
  • One or two in Lungfishopolis
3. The emotional baggage collection unlocks omake-level stuff on each of the characters whose minds you drop into. I would check it out post game.

kurt91 wrote: 7 years ago So, after this long of watching raocow struggle with Psychonauts, I think that we need to be a bit more careful on the game recommendations. Yeah, he's probably going to enjoy the atmosphere, but we need to either clue him in ahead of time of the type of game (adventure game with platforming, not traditional platformer) so he knows what kind of mindset to get into when he starts playing, or something. raocow's proven with the Milkman Conspiracy level that when it finally does dawn on him to think of this as an adventure game, he's more than competent. The issue with this game seems to be that the time spent between recording sessions causes him to forget that, and he begins each episode with a traditional platformer mindset.

Something that's more straightforward with the type of game it is, such as Bomberman 64 as an example, would probably be an easier experience not because of the simpler puzzles to it, but because it's fully transparent on what kind of game it is. We need to either make absolutely sure raocow knows what he's getting into ahead of time without actually spoiling the game content for him, or pick games that are more straightforward on what kind of experience it's going to be.
That's what the Patreon's for. His list is based on Patapon recommendations and voting. If you want to make a stake on this, go over there.
One day, an image will return
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

Here's a fun fact: everything in the game has dialogues and reactions for the Confusion Grenades. Including characters that you'd have to break the game in order to use Confusion Grenades on.

Makes me wonder if they were originally going to be available from the beginning.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

due too extra long mario video recording session, there won't be a psychonaut video tomorrow, as the mario video will be a two-parter.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Throughout this entire level I kept waiting for an answer to the question, "Why black velvet?" The game isn't saying but some research gave the answer: apparently the game's Edgar Teglee is inspired by Edgar Leeteg, "often considered the father of American velvet painting."
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Dark Hunter wrote: 7 years ago Here's a fun fact: everything in the game has dialogues and reactions for the Confusion Grenades. Including characters that you'd have to break the game in order to use Confusion Grenades on.

Makes me wonder if they were originally going to be available from the beginning.

Apparently, on a similar note, Clairvoyance has a unique effect on everything, as well, also including characters you can't realistically use it on. The Dev Team Thinks of Everything.

I'd love to try these things, but apparently the version I have (the Steam/GOG release) has the cheats disabled for some reason. Booooo.

Moists:

Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Re: Psychonauts - Tabletop Party of Split Personality

Post by Ditocoaf »

I'm glad this LP happened, because I'm learning that a lot of people hate this level, which is my favorite of the trio (it's just so neat to explore and poke around with the size-changing mechanic!), and lots of people actually like the theater level, which was my least favorite.

Waterloo is by far the most open-ended "look around and see what you find" level, so I guess makes it make sense that it's divisive. I love that sort of thing, but I can see where others might not, especially if they feel obligated to collect all the figments.
YelseyKing

Re: Psychonauts - Tabletop Party of Split Personality

Post by YelseyKing »

One thing I found annoying about Waterloo World is finding that last figment. Yeah, it's always annoying when you're only missing one last lousy figment, but it's especially bad in this particular stage. See, the game does a pretty good job establishing fairly quickly that there's nothing of interest in the forest areas around the edge of the board. But there's *one* figment hidden in one of those parts, behind a tree. This was the *one* time in the *entire* game I needed to use an FAQ to find the location of a figment, because... yeah, there's *no* way I'd have thought to look for it there.

Also, you can (and should) defeat those bomb-shooting snail-like creatures, since they don't respawn unless you leave Fred's mind entirely. Knock them down, then use Pyrokinesis on them. They're *incredibly* annoying otherwise.

Moists: