(shouting)

Psychonauts - end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
strongbadman

Re: Psychonauts - (DAD) Dairy Anxiety Disorder

Post by strongbadman »

See? Everything worked out in the end. Once raocow knows he's playing an adventure game he can solve puzzles no problem!
Blue

Post by Blue »

raocow, video 17 wrote:What? Hi. What am I doing in hell now?
That seemingly out of place and nonsequitor bossfight is from a sideplot that got scrapped after they already made the bossfight, so they just sort of awkwardly shoved it in here.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

It's always interesting watching raocow LP a game I've played beforehand, to see how his struggles differ from mine.

Case in point: I was able to figure out the keypad puzzle almost immediately, but had *no* idea what to do with the Nightmare mini-boss, and ended up having to contact Cruller for hints after knocking it down, but failing to destroy it, three times and about six lives later. With raocow... the exact opposite: A little better than two videos to get the keypad puzzle figured out, but he figures out how to defeat the Nightmare right away.

It's like there's virtually no overlap between my game skillset and his. He always seems to breeze past things I struggled with, but in turn, most of the stuff he has trouble with, I breezed through. Very weird.
Last edited by YelseyKing 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

Indeed, the hell-monster is a Nightmare.

Originally there was going to be a subplot with psychic people's Nightmares manifesting in each other's minds and whatnot, but it got scrapped. So the designers shoved it into Boyd's mind because... I guess the level was lacking in combat?

There is a place in the game where the Nightmares appear and make actual plot-sense, but that's well-hidden and I kinda doubt raocow will find it at this point (he's long past that point in the game).
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Blue wrote:
raocow, video 17 wrote:What? Hi. What am I doing in hell now?
That seemingly out of place and nonsequitor bossfight is from a sideplot that got scrapped after they already made the bossfight, so they just sort of awkwardly shoved it in here.
I just find it odd there is literally no acknowledgement it even happened. I'm thinking:
"What, no comment from Raz? We're just going to pretend it didn't happen oh okay then... Moving on"
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

next vid: literally the moment everyone has been waiting for
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Nekoishi wrote:next vid: literally the moment everyone has been waiting for
raocow tickles oleander's pet chicken, thora
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

mind control with cookies and milk, evil plot where "they will taste my eggs", weird mental areas involving lots of meat.

I think someone swapped a page in the villian's master plan with a grocery list.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

Sebby19 wrote:I just find it odd there is literally no acknowledgement it even happened. I'm thinking:
"What, no comment from Raz? We're just going to pretend it didn't happen oh okay then... Moving on"
When I ran into this when playing recently myself, the first thing I did was call up Cruller on the bacon-phone to ask for information about this enemy. This... yielded some more flavour about this little random boss than you otherwise get. It still was odd that there was no acknowledgement, but... the extra flavour from talking to Mr Bacon, if you as the player choose to, helps this just a little bit.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Yeah, this is the part of the game where it becomes clear they ran out of something. Time, effort, ideas, money, something. You get disjointed stuff like 'suddenly a different place' with two semi-related cutscenes back to back when you'd expect gameplay between them, you get a bunch of platforming elements like poles to swing on or ropes to walk on that act super buggy and don't always work, you get bits of terrain that look like they should be something you can interact with but aren't. It gets hard to tell if you're doing something the game doesn't want you to do and you should do something else, or if the game is misbehaving and you should keep doing what you're doing until it works. It's kind of a mess from here until credits.

ps: Congratulations, raocow, you convinced a pyromaniac mental patient to firebomb a building.
Dark_Paratroopa

Post by Dark_Paratroopa »

This is also the part where the game starts getting more difficult, and raocow may want to stock up on more dream fluffs.

Also, raocow can still get into older levels through the collective subconcscious. Which he can access from the brain tumbler or any of the bubble blowing teleport guys. In case he wants to go looking for the safes he missed or something.

I still hope he at least finds the thing he missed in Milla's mindscape.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Dark_Paratroopa wrote:I still hope he at least finds the thing he missed in Milla's mindscape.
That lone thread of hope is the only thing keeping my heart intact.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

I'd recommend looking around the Asylum carefully. Every brain you find and bring back to Cruller gets you an extra 1/4 of a health "brain" permanently. And some funny scenes when you return them.

As an aside, one of the menus shows exactly how many of each type of collectable item is in the area you're currently in, if you ever feel like going back and getting more stuff. Makes things rather convenient.

Moists:

Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i forget exactly where the point of no return is but can someone please warn raocow when it's coming up
i know it won't be for a while yet but, still
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Blue

Post by Blue »

The game warns you about it and forces you to make a new save file after it, iirc. I'll make sure to yell at the cow anyway though.
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

This episode does raise a good question: why can't Raz climb that rope? And don't say "He's not strong enough", that kid is more physically able than everyone in this thread combined.

Kind of ironic how a game about psychics stars an expert athlete...
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

You can thank Raz's father for that.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Dark Hunter wrote:This episode does raise a good question: why can't Raz climb that rope? And don't say "He's not strong enough", that kid is more physically able than everyone in this thread combined.
He needs to perform a microtransaction of 7,000 arrowheads with Double Fine, of course. ;)
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

So I understand that the naming scheme for the videos is "celestial bodies" but are they asteroids or exoplanets or moons of another planet or what?
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

raekuul wrote:
So I understand that the naming scheme for the videos is "celestial bodies" but are they asteroids or exoplanets or moons of another planet or what?
They're all classifications, including stars.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Re: Psychonauts - Manic Depressive Screenplay

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Good episode, good talking, good puzzling, good shenanigans. Late night sandwich consumed without once choking due to urge to scream, 10/10 brains.
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

From the best level in the game to the worst level in the game... :(

Never really sure what I hate about this level, but I've just never had any fun playing it. Always a chore to get through...
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Dark Hunter wrote:Never really sure what I hate about this level, but I've just never had any fun playing it. Always a chore to get through...
I don't know about you, but what I found tedious about the level was that you constantly had to switch scripts and sets in order to get everything, and it wasn't always obvious which set went with which script, leading to a lot of trial and error.

I didn't *hate* Gloria's Theatre, but I didn't really *like* it, either. The other two patients' levels are much, much better. Probably best to get the worst of them out of the way first, I guess.

Moists:

kitikami

Post by kitikami »

Level design aside, this stage doesn't give the best aesthetic impression either. There have been various places in the game where the setting is just too dark to be able to clearly see what is going on, and this seems to be the worst example of that yet, to the point that it can be frustrating to follow what is going on on the screen. The sound design also features some fairly obnoxious sounds, like the crying going on in the background that raocow mentioned.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I remember this being one of my least favorite levels, but it was partly due to having seen it after the other two levels in this world. Still it has some interesting ideas.