(shouting)

SMBX: Mechdragon777 showcase; What a showoff, amirite?

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sebby19

SMBX: Mechdragon777 showcase; What a showoff, amirite?

Post by Sebby19 »

Returning to SMBX, but what episode will it be this time? Who knows?

Turns out to be an assortment of levels made by Mechdragon777 in the past.

Download link: will go here if provided.
Last edited by Sebby19 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Re: SMBX: Episode title; the next raocow LP

Post by Willhart »

I'm expecting either one from the Takeover series, or some Japanese episode.

Edit: Oh, there were also some Christmas levels too I think.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Nope, special thing by MechDragon777.

Also, now that I've played with SMW (and I guess the plethora of SMW hacks raocow has played recently), that SMBX camera/screen resolution just looks too zoomed-out and wrong to me now.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

This is going to be painful, isn't it?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Super Maks 64 »

I was excpecting a "real" episode, but a level collection can also be good. Except the very first level raocow plays doesn't leave the best impression.

This level is graphically busy, has two mazes with two sides, has a lopsided midpoint and the design just seems to be hallways with enemies and a lot of horizontal and vertical climbable objects (also the map is rather hard to read).

I hope the next levels are going to be better. Also how many levels are there in this collection?
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Re: SMBX: Mechdragon777 showcase; What a showoff, amirite?

Post by FrozenQuills »

Called it.
Maybe I should send some of my own SMBX contest entries to raocow considering he's open to stuff like this.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

it's pretty unlikely that'll go back and play contests that old so...

however, you need to make a hub!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

On that note, a few years back there was a thread for people to post the first ever SMW levels they ever did. Someone should compile those into something for raocow sometime.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol
Pronouns: she/her

Post by idol »

SAJewers wrote:On that note, a few years back there was a thread for people to post the first ever SMW levels they ever did. Someone should compile those into something for raocow sometime.
tbh why the hell would raocow want to play a collection of presumably poorly made amateur levels and why would we want to watch

it's a cute idea but the reality is our first levels probably fucking suck for the most part
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

idol wrote:tbh why the hell would raocow want to play a collection of presumably poorly made amateur levels and why would we want to watch
his vip LPs are exactly this though and those are pretty freakin' great
this is getting laundromatic
ACesspoolofHatred
What vision is this? What happens to the world?!

Post by ACesspoolofHatred »

oh man, sanctuary fortress
I have no social media presence, my only purpose here is to dismay and terrify you all, and I hope to continue to do so - Me, on one of Duvi0's Drawful streams
Y'know, Cesspool, that is, like, honestly... That was what I expected from you, and y'know what? That's my favorite thing that anyone does, specifically. Cesspool I adore you. - Duvi0 that same stream
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

I was extremely confused to see my old Sanctuary Fortress graphics in the thumbnail of the video. Pretty neat that people liked them enough to use them ever.

As for the level, yeah that's way too big and complex a maze. Thankfully it didn't seem too dangerous but the length means that even when facing mostly regular enemies you have to worry about getting your powerups worn down. Neat concept, much better implementation of the Spider Guardian than I had for SMWCP but way too long.
MECHDRAGON777
Up in the Tower floating above Gensokyo lies the true me in reverse.

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

idol wrote:
SAJewers wrote:On that note, a few years back there was a thread for people to post the first ever SMW levels they ever did. Someone should compile those into something for raocow sometime.
tbh why the hell would raocow want to play a collection of presumably poorly made amateur levels and why would we want to watch

it's a cute idea but the reality is our first levels probably fucking suck for the most part
For the record, my MaGLIII level was my first SMW level, and my VLDCX level was my second one, so... If you want me to post the reviews, just ask, tomorrow's level is what I consider the worst thing I ever made. The true present that I made him was actually made in December though of 2016. It was made just for him. I appreciate him playing the levels. I may not really like the first two levels in the list, but still. believe about three levels of the past are short, I do feel bad about raocow for the rest of them. I will also say this.a download link would be quite pointless. These levels can mostly be extracted from ToB5-ToBX which I re-edited SF2 to re-add the stars. I originally going to make the present star locked, and give a save file with every star, but I am sure I would get even more backlash if I did. I will admit that raocow missed only one secret in the level. It was a red door he did not go into that unlocked the Plasma Beam. There are other secret item rooms, but meh. I was proud of this level when I made it two or three years ago, not any more... I k ow how to get around the 16,384 block limit. That is all this level shows. Also, around 14:31 in the video, That was a midpoint, but I am not sure if it broke or not. I feel sorry if it did though. I wish raocow good luck, and hope he likes what he has made the finalé. That is his true present from me...

My avartar

I am a SMBX player, and I do not know weather to stay at SuperMarioBrosx.org or at talkhaus.raocow.com honestly.

Divemissile

Post by Divemissile »

didn't expect this, honestly! though i do think that this level was decent in concept. would be better if smbx allowed multiple midpoints. though, i do hope this lp isn't all 1 level 30 minute videos...
MECHDRAGON777

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

It is not, the level has two checkpoints though.
Divemissile wrote:didn't expect this, honestly! though i do think that this level was decent in concept. would be better if smbx allowed multiple midpoints. though, i do hope this lp isn't all 1 level 30 minute videos...

My avartar

I am a SMBX player, and I do not know weather to stay at SuperMarioBrosx.org or at talkhaus.raocow.com honestly.

Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Imagine being conceited enough to make a retrospective of your own bad levels.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

So the Spider Guardian is a boss from the Prime series? It's an interesting concept, not too big on the whole "punishing the player with extra waiting for missing a cycle" thing though I'm guessing it's probably much less of an issue in its' original 3D incarnations.

I know you're contributing to one or both of the A2X2 relays but aside from that and your MaGLX2 entry I'm largely unfamiliar with your work, mech, so this'll be an interesting bit of context and insight.

I do have to agree that this first level is a bit much... all of those bright, saturated decorative BGOs strewn about distract from the edges of the terrain and other foreground objects to the point where it's difficult to discern the positive and negative space of the level from a glance. (The hub has this issue to some extent as well -- overall the FG and BG are much more distinct but the radioactive waterfalls and the foreground wall's border tiles being used in parts of the background break up that nice contrast.)

Still, it's clear a good deal of effort went into Sanctuary Fortress 2 and this compilation episode. I'm curious to see how your approach to level design has changed over the years, and I'm looking forward to this mysterious finale.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

Holy Christ. The YT comment section gave me actual cancer. What the fuck >_>

Happy to see some familiar faces in there providing chemo where necessary.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

TaviTurnip wrote:Holy Christ. The YT comment section gave me actual cancer. What the fuck >_>

i mean

mechy-boy is pretty synonymous with "awful design" as far as raocow's lps are concerned
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
MECHDRAGON777

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

Grounder wrote:
TaviTurnip wrote:Holy Christ. The YT comment section gave me actual cancer. What the fuck >_>

i mean

mechy-boy is pretty synonymous with "awful design" as far as raocow's lps are concerned
I hope to change that.

My avartar

Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

I really hope for everyone's sake you did not put your KCX 2 level in there
Image Image
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

It was surreal to see a sequel to a weird SMWCP level since it's been so long.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
MECHDRAGON777

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

Mabel wrote:I really hope for everyone's sake you did not put your KCX 2 level in there
I wish I did actually... Hardest level I ever made.re-watch December 24th's video last year to see the level list. The levels will only get better and better score wise. I only put in 1/5th of my past work in here. It was mainly used to show raocow the progression I made in the past and the mistakes I may have made after getting better that I eventually was able to pull off what the finalé will show. Only levels that I submitted to Community Contests are in this (excluding Klonoa;raocow) and was the real present.

raocow wrote:Ping

raocow wrote:Ping

If you need a video title, you could say "MECHDRAGON777's Contest history" or "MECHDRAGON777's Advent Christmas 2016" if you need a name. Your call in the long run.

My avartar

Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Post by Super Maks 64 »

So today's level I feel was better, because it was more entertaining, but it still had some weird design choices.
The first half is just a puzzle with weird elevators and switch blocks and besides that there are some hallways just with hopping balls. The elevator I think would be better if it was just a solid on top platform and the On/Off blocks were invisible with an Up or Down arrow BGO behind them. A "cheekpoint" that requires answering a question to get is also weird.
The second part had a smasher that was "just there" some jumps over the frozen water and a weird, but slightly interesting Larry(this is SMBX and the only thing changed was the height) boss.
I suppose this series will be kind of like the VIPs as that they get better in the end and the levels here are sorted by quality.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

We're sorrow, the Deedle-Ball isn't home right now, but if you leave your name and number after the tone, he'll get back to you as soon as he can.