(shouting)

VLDC9 - vanilla level design contest 9

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

Re: VLDC9 - vengeful lackeys daring cacophonies 9

Post by Truhan »

raocow, you can unpress switches, so yes, you CAN get to Eternity's level with no/not enough switches pressed.
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
Mochtroidprime

Post by Mochtroidprime »

My favorite part about today's video was one of the comments underneath which read:

"You know, picking up springboards while bouncing on another springboard requires frame and pixel perfect precision and raocow managed to do it twice within the first few minutes."

I expect no less than a simulated "TAS" from raocow in the future, created purely from him accidentally performing insanely crazy tricks.

I mean, that comment could also be wrong, but I figure if picking up a springboard while bouncing on another springboard is really that easy, then the level wouldn't have been made with two springboards right next to each other like that.
Kowkarot
Ally of Laziness
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Kowkarot »

Mochtroidprime wrote:I mean, that comment could also be wrong, but I figure if picking up a springboard while bouncing on another springboard is really that easy, then the level wouldn't have been made with two springboards right next to each other like that.
I think it's one of those things that's really hard to pull off when you want to, but really easy to do by accident. I'm more amazed by raocow's p-switch jumping skill. I suck at it, but he does it like it's nothing.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Re: VLDC9 - vivid levitations dreamy comets 9

Post by FrozenQuills »

ETERNAL SPACE is my favorite of the judge levels; there's a lot of clever uses of 1F0 in this.
The aesthetics and dragon coin puzzles are also really nice.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

How many glitchy tiles are there, anyway?

How do they work?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Post by Super Maks 64 »

raocow you were supposed to kill the Koopa while the shell was moving.
Also if you are going to play VLDCX expect a LOT more 1F0/1F8 tiles.

A secret exit that requires Switch Blocks in a collab like VLDC makes no sense (in SMW it made more sense when you had to find secret exits to find a Switch Palace) also people who don't like playing easier versions of the stages have to go back to FOUR different spots in the overworld to get the secret exit.

Tomorrow is probably a thing.

My opinion on the thing:

First line
In VLDC8 the final level was kind of SMWCentral's Front Door(and not every door was a door number 9) and it was a neat level.
Staff Invasion has a really weirdly designed beginning section. The first part feels like it lacks a cohesion(Thwomps,random shell puzzle,Dry Bones and lots of Paratroopas,Wooden Spikes,Grinders) and I dislike the Dry Bone and Grinder setup.The second part while more cohesive it has a random bubbles and Sparks theme and the introduction to it is REALLY cheap, you exit the pipe to land on a bubble above spikes and if you took the Throw Block from the last section with you and don't react quickly you'll fall into the spikes, also the closest platform is a Bullet Bill launcher with a Wooden Spike on it. After the unnecessary beginning you arrive at what the level really is, a generic "every world abridged" part, with the WORST power up starvation I've ever seen. You only have TWO Mushrooms for 9 hard rooms(2 autoscrollers) and at least it saves which rooms you went through...along with your power ups.
I don't like Staff Invasion.

Reb
let's all be happy :)
First name: sam
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by Reb »

I am a huge Waluigi fan, so naturally I loved Nimono's level. The gameplay wasn't ignored either, so kudos.
I dislike baseball throwing chucks, but the airship mixed with it was really interesting.
Eternity's level was really really nice looking and played very well. A good level overall.
コンコン
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Reb wrote:I am a huge Waluigi fan, so naturally I loved Nimono's level. The gameplay wasn't ignored either, so kudos.
Waluigi thanks you!
Lejes wrote:Thoughts on Nimono's level:

WAA! :D
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

next level is kinda gargantuan and so to not have a 40 minute video I split it into two parts. That'll give me a 'day off' to refigure out how to record smbx and get that prepared.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Koopster
judge of u

Post by Koopster »

I mentioned a while ago that Eternity disappeared due to school for a few months, and besides not making his switch palace he wasn't able to finish his level, so Gloomier offered to pick it up. The entire first half and room 3 are Eternity's, and Gloomier made rooms 1 and 2. I think Eternity also made the goal room.
Needless to say both are great great designers, and that level is probably most people's postgame favorite, myself included :p
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

I love their level. If it were actually scored, I'd probably put it in the top 5 due to having tons of super clever set-ups, great aesthetics, and some solid design overall. I think the secret exit in particular is a great way to end the judge levels.

The last level is good (for the most part), but like last year's, it was made by several people. Some parts are quite a bit better than others.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

S.N.N. wrote:The last level is good (for the most part)
*meows loudly*
Mosts Awards:
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

reading through the comments of yesterday's videos has led me to one conclusion:

I must make a short hack that is WALUIGI'S WORLD, where all the music is waa all the time :3
Reb
let's all be happy :)
First name: sam

Post by Reb »

oh man, nimono, I would totally play that
コンコン
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

Nimono wrote:reading through the comments of yesterday's videos has led me to one conclusion:

I must make a short hack that is WALUIGI'S WORLD, where all the music is waa all the time :3
Disappointing. I was hoping that you'd permanently transform into Waluigi and make music videos for YouTube.

I never would have guessed that two authors made different parts of Eternal Space. It seemed so seamless.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni

Post by AUS »

Nimono wrote:I must make a short hack that is WALUIGI'S WORLD, where all the music is waa all the time :3
I expect a WAA-cover of every notable SMW song, as well as the top 10 most used SMW-soundfont ports.

EDIT: I wanna hear WAA-SMW-Stickerbrush Symphony.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Mochtroidprime

Re: VLDC9 - visitors liking divergent creations 9

Post by Mochtroidprime »

So about Staff Invasion today... did something go wrong with the power-ups in the "every world abridged" room or something?

The message box tells me that you're supposed to get those two single mushrooms to use for the entirety of the 9 rooms or whatever, but then as soon as you finish a room, you go through a power-up filter again and then you don't get those mushrooms again for later rooms.

Did I miss something? Is it made in such a way that if you lose a mushroom in a level, then one of the boxes is permanently "used," and losing both mushrooms forces both boxes into a "used" state?

I mean in the end I don't think it's really that bad. None of the rooms look that bad, they're fairly short challenges and once you finish them, they're saved. I just wonder if I missed something with the mushroom situation or whatever.
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

Limiting the amount of mushrooms you get seems very arbitrary to me. Why not just give a single mushroom before the selection and be done with it? The problem with the way things are now is that you have no idea which sublevels are the most difficult ones that you should save your mushrooms for, and since they don't respawn when you die it comes down to pure luck in which order you enter the rooms.

The entire concept just seems very superfluous, and ends up being kind of unfair at the same time (even though I'm sure that wasn't the intention).

The individual rooms also vary pretty wildly in quality. Some of them really remind me of the sublevels in Production's Bowser's Castle, and that's not necessarily a good thing

As I said before, I'm not a particular fan of VLDC9.
Interestingly enough the levels that stood out to me the most in terms of level design were those which were created by members of the JUMPhalf team (frozenquills, worldpeace, ft, lazy, lolyoshi, pyro etc).
Get hype I guess
this is getting laundromatic
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

I personally liked the final level of VLDC8 better than 9. I have a couple of complaints about how things are set up, most notably the fact that you have to run really far if you die in the end rooms.
Ryrir wrote:pyro
No offense to Pyro because I know she's improved, but.. you sure about that, or is it just because she's associated with JUMP that she's included in that list? I'm not too sure her VLDC9 level was quite as good as the others you listed, and there are definitely others outside of those with better design than that level.

(Her VLDCX level is actually one of my favourites though, so the improvement from then until now is astounding.)
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

S.N.N. wrote:
Ryrir wrote:pyro
No offense to Pyro because I know she's improved, but.. you sure about that, or is it just because she's associated with JUMP that she's included in that list? I'm not too sure her VLDC9 level was quite as good as the others you listed, and there are definitely others outside of those with better design than that level.

(Her VLDCX level is actually one of my favourites though, so the improvement from then until now is astounding.)
Yeah, maybe I only remember her vldc9 level so clearly because I know her newer stuff. Comparing contests like vldc9 (where people tend to play it safe) with collabs like jump (where people go for rather unorthodox level ideas) isn't all that viable in itself though

I think this is also my reason why the LP didn't quite grip me: A lot of the levels end up blending into one another. They're not bad levels at all, but I would have liked a lot more variety. VLDCX seems to do exactly that though, so I'm kind of hyped for that as well (:
this is getting laundromatic
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

I like most of the small rooms, but the ice one was a little bit irritating to play IMO.
Koopster
judge of u

Post by Koopster »

So! My main gripe with this level is that I suggested at some point that instead of color-based rooms, we had final rooms based off of the worlds that would be a callback to levels from these worlds. Turns out Jack thought the latter part of the idea wasn't important, so... we get, like, one, two max, rooms that are reminiscent of levels in the worlds they correspond to at all. The rest is just rooms that are there. This annoyed me a lot, and I didn't know anything about this level at all until the testing phase, so no yelling would help. :/

Besides, SMWC's staff members don't get hired for their design skills, so most of the rooms really aren't particularly outstanding. I'm sure they would if they were told to make their rooms ressemble actual levels, though.

At least the first half is cool, I like it. And the aesthetics are pretty neat, too. (if I recall correctly Skewer - Triangle Ship maker - was responsible for the looks)
Also, Yoshi Charlie.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

please, it's a charlie horse
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

windows movie maker: the room
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Kincyr
HONK!

Post by Kincyr »

am I the only one who thought that the second mushroom given in Staff Invasion's powerup filter is completely unnecessary?