(shouting)

VLDC9 - vanilla level design contest 9

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: VLDC9 - varicolored luminosity deluding canopies 9

Post by Super Maks 64 »

Fun fact: Beacause of how SMW scrolling works the fireballs from Bowser Statues NEVER dispawn unless you go up/down in a vertical level.
The 1up checkpoint was a reference to Larry's Castle in SMW there's also a Ball and Chain block with a 1up, just look it up in Lunar Magic.
In the forest area raocow missed a neat thing, there's a timed platform behind the tree but instead of numbers it shows V L D C.

SMW's camera is really wacky, both horizontal and vertical.

Tomorrow there will probably be two levels.
Lockirby2

Re: VLDC9 - vulcanized lacquered disgruntled chunks 9

Post by Lockirby2 »

I think some of raocow's jankier looking deaths there came from overthinking the obstacles. The most intuitive thing generally works in Brown Block Basement.

Also, I agree that the Blue Switch Palace leading to World X was unintuitive. It doesn't help that I actually forgot two exits though. Ironically, this might have saved me from having to look it up, because I only got on the rocket ship again looking for more exits that I missed.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Super Maks 64 wrote:Tomorrow there will probably be two levels.
Oh boy, I sure hope so~ :3
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

Nimono wrote:
Oh boy
Oh ninja boy indeed

I actually really liked his level. For some reason I was able to dodge every single baseball and bullet without getting hit at all, and it was the greatest feeling. Also, wah

Mosts Awards:
Koopster
judge of u

Post by Koopster »

Thanks for the compliments, everyone! I find it pretty funny how the discrepancy between very positive and very negative opinions in it is bigger than the majority of the levels in the contest itself, haha

I don't really like the next level. The one that comes next is good, and the final judge level is really great. The final thing isn't that great in my opinion - it has some good portions, but the main "thing" about it really disappointed me for reasons I'll get into when the time comes.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Koopster wrote:Thanks for the compliments, everyone! I find it pretty funny how the discrepancy between very positive and very negative opinions in it is bigger than the majority of the levels in the contest itself, haha
I'm not sure if there's a way to make an interesting layer 2 level that has a wide-appeal. Because layer 2 action is completely unrelated to the actual design of SMW as a platformer, it's not balanced in any literal way. I'm saying it's janky. You didn't even do that absurd of things, but because it's inherently janky it's kind of hit-or-miss.

but I fucking love layer 2 so
yeah

..my level for a2mt referenced the "beware of physics" level in asmt.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Wind Fish

Post by Wind Fish »

ft029 wrote:
Nimono wrote:
Oh boy
Oh ninja boy indeed

I actually really liked his level. For some reason I was able to dodge every single baseball and bullet without getting hit at all, and it was the greatest feeling. Also, wah

I don't believe you. Do it again, but this time with video evidence. :P
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

I, too, love layer 2... backdrops
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

Wind Fish wrote:I don't believe you. Do it again, but this time with video evidence. :P
Actually, I did it on a stream (didn't get the dragon coins though). It's gone now, however.
The pitching chucks were positioned in ways where I think it was easy to weave in between the baseballs. The bullet shooters were literally everywhere and it was very stressful, but none of them fired in my face (thank sprite limits or whatever).
Mosts Awards:
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

Warning: Video contains spoilers for ninja boy's level.

Of course, I get the feeling ft029 did this on a sight read, which is significantly more impressive. :P
Wind Fish

Post by Wind Fish »

ft029 wrote:Actually, I did it on a stream (didn't get the dragon coins though). It's gone now, however.
The pitching chucks were positioned in ways where I think it was easy to weave in between the baseballs. The bullet shooters were literally everywhere and it was very stressful, but none of them fired in my face (thank sprite limits or whatever).
Aww, you should have kept it. Those shooters were obviously on your side.
Lockirby2 wrote:Warning: Video contains spoilers for ninja boy's level.

Of course, I get the feeling ft029 did this on a sight read, which is significantly more impressive. :P
Oh my! You make the level look easy. :o
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Beautiful.

I actually don't mind the contest mood that much. I'm well aware that pretty much all of the top rung of levels are ones I would enjoy playing on my spare time.

Brown Block Basement is a nice use of Layer 2. Was a little punishing on death, but those were some cool puzzles. Good work.

Chuck Armada isn't bad, either... besides an obvious power imbalance. Seems like ninja boy's getting cues from NES games that did the same thing. Besides that, I have no problem with baseballs flooding the screen.

WAAAAAAAAA.... do I even need to say anything else? The castle remix was hilarious. The whole stage was hilarious. It had gameplay behind it. I couldn't ask for anything more. Beautiful.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Grounder wrote:-pic-
EXACTLY. :D

also my level lost the blue koopa in the bonus room. so that puzzle to get two 1-ups is completely broken. what the heck.

EDIT: By the way, you can thank Dr. Tapeworm for this level. He uploaded a video of the Waluigi Pinball theme, but every instrument was Waluigi, and that inspired me to make this, where everything is Waluigi! :3

also I did this but couldn't find a way to put it in the level: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26851686/Keywaa.spc
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Re: VLDC9 - vengeful lackeys daring cacophonies 9

Post by FrozenQuills »

how hilariously fitting for the level
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

FrozenQuills wrote: how hilariously fitting for the level
i must save this. and then reuse it in places. :3
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

I like the upside-down LOL scrolling past in the map screen background. Nice touch.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Voltgloss wrote:I like the upside-down LOL scrolling past in the map screen background. Nice touch.
hahahahahahah I didn't even notice that!

by the way, there's a moon hidden in my level! think you can find it? I'm not telling where it is! Your only hint: There's something in the video that hints to its location.
zagesaw

Post by zagesaw »

Brown Block Basement:
It was a clever yet punishing level. The secret exit was a bit too ridiculous to figure out and getting the shell to hit the key block took me a few attempts. I'm not really a fan of the level's gimmick but I like how it was used here. There were a few awkward situations of manipulating the screen scroll to get across pits in the second half and such. I think it is a good level but it was pretty frustrating too. I've gotten massive JUMP vibes playing this level.

Chuck Armada:
It is just a bad airship level. Obnoxious chuck and bullet bill spam and powerup scarcity especially in the second half. I've gotten no enjoyment playing this level, only anger and charlie.

Waaa:
Nimono pls
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

zagesaw wrote:Waaa:
Nimono pls
=3c
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

zagesaw wrote:Chuck Armada:
It is just a bad airship level. Obnoxious chuck and bullet bill spam and powerup scarcity especially in the second half.
Don't be too mean to NB, there was supposed to be a mushroom after the midpoint and it never appeared for some reason. Ala's
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Nimono for best judge
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

OMG, Waluigi can infect people with his Waluiginess! He got the orchestra! Run!!!
Vitor Vilela
hi

Post by Vitor Vilela »

The WAAAA level made my day, thanks Nimono

also hi people
Lejes
https://lejes.talkhaus.com/

Post by Lejes »

Thoughts on Nimono's level: