(shouting)

ダイナマイトヘッディー: FINALE ANALYSIS (end)

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Dynamite Headdy: FUNNY ANGRY

Post by raocow »

so if someone wants to send me a savestate at the postgame thing, today or tomorrow morning would be the ideal time. Thank you in advance!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Matt is me
[color=#FFD700]Forum codes don't work here...[/color]

Re: Dynamite Headdy: FUNNY ANGRY

Post by Matt is me »

I got you yo. I've a save state in the beginning of act 9 and I'm pretty sure I remember the code, I just need to get through that act right quick and save a new state.
Grounder

Re: Dynamite Headdy: THE RIVAL | BRAIN BREAK!

Post by Grounder »

ravana
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Matt is me

Post by Matt is me »

Final secret bonus points in the game!!

Act 9-1 - Ah, the Super Finageler. Two bonus points here. One for destroying ALL of the breakable blocks (both hammer and normal) in the whole stage...this requires getting the second hammer head at the very last moment, else you'll lose it before you get to the last block, like raocow did.
The other is easier. Just kill either of the coconut dudes. It's nearly frame perfect, but technically you can get both of them--this IS worth a second bonus point, so you can actually get 40/39 in the end!

Act 9-2 - One of the hardest ones in the game, you can earn this by getting through the whole scene without getting grabbed by Trouble Bruin. Just gotta jump over him, duck under him, and be careful!

Act 9-3 - Another of the hardest ones in the game. When Dark Demon does his missile attack (green on the crystal ball), you can destroy them with hammer head. Destroy ALL of the missiles in one attack set for a secret bonus point. I don't think raocow showed off this attack on this video, but he probably saw it off camera.

Far trek is indeed just a survival game, you didn't do anything accidental!

Dark demon isn't hard when you realize that you just wanna stay small head the whole time unless his crystal ball shows pink (enemies). That's the easiest way to dodge most attacks, and is strictly needed for rainbow (laser) and sometimes orange (wall falling), though if you're lucky wall might provide you with one spot a big headdy can fit in. For blue (energy balls) and green (missles), you can just chill under his cloak and raised arm and be perfectly safe. So it's less thinking about what attack he'll do and deciding on a head and more just looking for pink and otherwise staying tiny. It's a slower way to fight--I think small head does less damage--but way safer than anything else.

If you really need to, do what child me did--every time his crystal ball shows something, pause and examine and think, then unpause and react. It's a bit of cheating, but for the sake of an LP, you gotta do what you gotta do man.

I'll finish off telling the story when you beat the game tomorrow.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

So is the final boss also just a survival thing?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Matt is me

Post by Matt is me »

Sebby19 wrote:So is the final boss also just a survival thing?
No, I was talking about 9.2, Far Trek, which raocow thought he might have won by luck at the end. The final boss is a real boss. You can hit him when his cloak is blue, which is essentially once hit each time he appears.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Sebby19 wrote:So is the final boss also just a survival thing?
No, the window to damage it is just quite small. raocow was getting hits in, infrequently. The final boss has 17 HP, same as Twin Freaks, so the spotlight takes a few hits to be noticeably changed.
Count Mohawk

Post by Count Mohawk »

BobisOnlyBob wrote:The final boss has 17 HP, same as Twin Freaks, so the spotlight takes a few hits to be noticeably changed.
Dark Demon is the other important boss to have its HP doubled up; the Japanese release has him with just 9, which makes a lot more sense given you can only hurt him once per phase.

As for actually fighting him? Tiny head lets you dodge pretty much everything, while Hammer head does more damage to the boss and is therefore the best attacking head.
Danchlax

Post by Danchlax »

So I posted this exact text on the comments for the video, but I spent a lot of time on it get dangit and I'm gonna leave it for posterity wherever I can

Basically the final boss' attacks are predicted by the color the orb he's holding is after it flashes yellow, as I think you kinda already figured out. A good strategy to easily process what color the orb is and pick a head in time is to pause the game and calmly plan out what you need to do next, though some people might find that a bit cheesy.

You can hit him only once when he lifts its cloak right before attacking before you have to wait for his next move (whenever you hear the "YO-HO!", he's already taken the damage for the current turn); This means that if you don't really need an especific head to deal with his next attack it's best to pick the hammer head, which deals double damage and thus makes the fight a bit shorter.

The colors are:

-Pink: Summons a bunch enemies that can be either the bats or the mice things. I recommend picking either the hammer or star heads for this one as they deal with the critters pretty easily, though hammer is preferred to deal extra damage to the boss.

-Green: Makes a bunch of spiky gnome things rise from the ground in a back and forth pattern. It's kinda tricky to dodge, but the spiky gnomes can be destroyed with the hammer head, so I recommend picking that for this attack.

-Blue: Creates a force field in front of the boss and shoots big flashing projectiles in your general direction. The projectiles are very hard to avoid, but they don't deal that much damage, so getting hit a couple times is not too bad. Again, hammer is the best pick for this simply because of the extra damage on the boss.

-Orange: Drops a huge stone ceiling on top of you which has many tiny holes and one big hole in it. Even though there is the big hole which is the only one that is safe if you're not small, it's very likely that it will be too far away from you to get there in time, or that it won't be there altogether. This attack deals a ton of damage, so I highly recommend going for the small head to dodge it (oh and by the way, the small head doesn't reduce your damage output at all, so there's no need to worry about that).

-Flashing all the colors: A giant sweeping laser that goes through the entire screen. The absolute only way you can dodge it is by using the small head, no questions asked.

Good luck with this Raoman!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Feels like the changes in health to the bosses were to the game's detriment. I'd probably enjoy the original more.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I honestly like the harder game better, it's a bit too easy to breeze through with the lower values IMO. Admittedly I played the UK version to death as a kid so I'm accustomed to the harder setups. Ideally the stats should probably be more generous than the NA release but harder than the JP release, but I like the US palettes and pun/referential stage names a lot more. There's a version out there of the Japanese game with English translations for the pre-boss dialogue, but it's all the Japanese health values and sprites.
Grounder

Re: Dynamite Headdy: FINAL ATTACK (pt. 1, main boss and credits)

Post by Grounder »

Pavel Filonov
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

For those curious, Here's the Japanese ending (with the English Re-Translation)

WARNING: Includes footage of the secret bonus level
Last edited by SAJewers 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

I can't believe that I just listened to a native French speaker pronounce the second T in tarot.
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

Welp, I gotta admit.

I think Headdy is super cute.

Who has the most?
Matt is me

Post by Matt is me »

ok, so, ending. That badge at the end? That's smiley. He's the most important character in this whole game. You see, Heather made him as a sentient badge and instructed him to award himself to the greatest puppet of all time. But...dude misunderstood a bit. He thought she was saying he WAS the greatest puppet of all time. As such, he figured he should rule over all puppets--the title went to his head, I suppose. So, he donned the Dark Demon costume, and took over. When Headdy defeated the Dark Demon, Heather got a chance to explain what she meant, and Smiley was just like "oh dang my b" and awarded himself to Headdy. Huzzah!

At least, that's my recollection. I never played the translation (or the Japanese version at all, actually), I read up on this years ago. I should confirm to make sure I'm right before I post but nah I won't do that. :D
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Matt is me wrote:ok, so, ending. That badge at the end? That's smiley. He's the most important character in this whole game. You see, Heather made him as a sentient badge and instructed him to award himself to the greatest puppet of all time. But...dude misunderstood a bit. He thought she was saying he WAS the greatest puppet of all time. As such, he figured he should rule over all puppets--the title went to his head, I suppose. So, he donned the Dark Demon costume, and took over. When Headdy defeated the Dark Demon, Heather got a chance to explain what she meant, and Smiley was just like "oh dang my b" and awarded himself to Headdy. Huzzah!

At least, that's my recollection. I never played the translation (or the Japanese version at all, actually), I read up on this years ago. I should confirm to make sure I'm right before I post but nah I won't do that. :D
That's basically it, though the game never says Fingy (Heather in the US) created Smiley, just that her duty was to award him to "the greatest puppet". I'm guessing her phrasing to him was along the lines of "You are for the greatest puppet!" or "You are to be awarded to someone for being the greatest puppet!" Most likely the latter, that's the easiest to misinterpret the way Smiley did!

The whole game really is a lot better when you have dialogue. And when Maruyama is Maruyama, not "Trouble Bruin".
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Hey, was that the Ghost of Christmas Ghost?

She's a month and a half late. :ugeek:
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Grounder

Re: ダイナマイトヘッディー: FINALE ANALYSIS (end)

Post by Grounder »

Twelveheads.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
muuma

Post by muuma »

Well it was fun coming back here to see this LP.

Had a lot of fun playing it while I was young, I don't know if I should feel like raocow if I played it blindly at my age, but I'll never know!

Since there was no text in the version I played, I actually prefer to imagine my own scenario, like Headdy is a kind of puppet with special powers and he defeats bosses to save the world, each one has a key allowing him to enter the castle, and Heather is also an heroine howeover she is more spirited and knows about the secret of the keys but cannot fight so Headdy does the job, they fight together and a certain love relationship is born between them. That's why I prefer the US ending, you save your waifu and you're her hero! Howeover, her duty is to watch over the puppet world so she leaves at the end.

I also thought at the end, while fighting the CEO, Headdy just wanted his freedom and not be a puppet anymore, so he rebels against him. It makes a nice contrast to see real clouds on the "The End" screen, while you only saw the fake clouds on the background during the game, showing Headdy finally got his freedom.

Welp, guess it was a thing. Maybe one day raocow will do more Treasure games like Gunstar Heroes, a must to play.
I see what you did there...
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

So I thought it wouldn't be a good fit for raocow based on how hard, but after seeing how difficult Dynamite Headdy got, and raocow using official cheats, and persevering anyways...

Anyone think raocow is ready for Rayman 1? Get's pretty difficult pretty quickly, but if he's willing to use the 99 lives cheat, among others, he should be able to win the game.

I'll be suggesting it (the DOS version) come next patreon poll.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

Sebby19 wrote:So I thought it wouldn't be a good fit for raocow based on how hard, but after seeing how difficult Dynamite Headdy got, and raocow using official cheats, and persevering anyways...

Anyone think raocow is ready for Rayman 1? Get's pretty difficult pretty quickly, but if he's willing to use the 99 lives cheat, among others, he should be able to win the game.

I'll be suggesting it (the DOS version) come next patreon poll.
I do NOT want to see the cow go through Rayman 1. If he thinks this game is hard, then playing Rayman 1 to completion (even with 99 lives) would be an absolute nightmare.

Thinking about it more though, Rayman does seem to share Headdy's lack of neck and Heather's lack of arms. I'd almost say that Rayman took inspiration from them if their games didn't have only a one year release date difference.

Who has the most?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Wanted to like watching this more than I did, but the game itself kind of fell off in the final few scenes. Don't know if it's because of the localization team taking out the plot or the bosses having more health, but that Gatekeeper fight was the exact moment things started to drop in enjoyment. I think Treasure's done a lot better work, and that reminds me to watch the Mischief Makers thing to see how that one turned out since I was a bit too busy to watch it last year live.