(shouting)

VLDC9 - vanilla level design contest 9

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Stink Terios

Re: VLDC9 - vitreous locomotives diffracted cosmos 9

Post by Stink Terios »

Uh, I'm honestly baffled by all this love for the 3rd place winner. I thought it was fairly mediocre and out of place.
I mean, it looks nice but that's about it.
Wind Fish

Post by Wind Fish »

Ice Cutting Site is great design wise, but visually it leaves a lot to be desired.
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol
Pronouns: she/her

Post by idol »

worldpeace isn't much of an aesthetics dude. i wonder if he invested more into making his levels pretty would they place even higher.

also yeah the top levels r a mess. stellar garden is pretty but very safe. i find that's a common occurrence among most of the top levels lmaoooo
Kowkarot
Ally of Laziness
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Kowkarot »

Stink Terios wrote:Uh, I'm honestly baffled by all this love for the 3rd place winner. I thought it was fairly mediocre and out of place.
I think it's because it's the most "complete" level. It has solid gameplay, it looks great, has some pretty creative design, etc. It may not be the best in any specific attribute, but it pretty much nails every aspect that was judged. So I also agree it should've won, even though I personally liked worldpeace's, Blue Leaf's and SNN's levels a lot more (Blue Leaf's probably being my favorite).
Wind Fish

Post by Wind Fish »

idol wrote:worldpeace isn't much of an aesthetics dude. i wonder if he invested more into making his levels pretty would they place even higher.
I would think so. :)
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Stink Terios wrote:Uh, I'm honestly baffled by all this love for the 3rd place winner. I thought it was fairly mediocre and out of place.
Kowkarot summarized my own thoughts. While other levels may have nailed individual aspects better than 3rd place, 3rd place did everything right as a whole. The design was creative, the graphics were beautiful, and the whole experience was enjoyable.

On today: worldpeace's level in VLDC8 was better in my opinion, but I still would have put him in the top 5 this year (probably around 4th or 3rd).
Lazy_
druine

Post by Lazy_ »

idol wrote:worldpeace isn't much of an aesthetics dude. i wonder if he invested more into making his levels pretty would they place even higher.
nah, his aesthetics are good. It wouldn't be the same if his levels were all flashy and ornate. Using default smw graphics and palettes is the best way to make it easy for the player to understand and react to the level. Plus it underlines the fact that this is still all an smw hack, which imo adds a lot of charm to his levels and helps accentuate his creative ideas. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Don't really get this mentality that smw hacks shouldn't look like smw, especially in contest levels that are supposed to be like smw.
is there an integer overflow when you become 256 years old
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Lazy_ wrote:Don't really get this mentality that smw hacks shouldn't look like smw, especially in contest levels that are supposed to be like smw.
Because vanilla-looking SMW is "overdone" to most people, they want to see something NEW done with what it gives you, they want limits pushed, not more of what they've been seeing for years.

and yet despite this, few people enter the chocolate contest as opposed to the vanilla contest :P
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

Nimono wrote:Because vanilla-looking SMW is "overdone" to most people, they want to see something NEW done with what it gives you, they want limits pushed, not more of what they've been seeing for years.
the irony is that the "new, flashy" look most people were going for in this contest is also way overdone at this point

at this point I tend to notice levels that use straight SMW graphics way more than those who use washed out pallet #65 oh and better add that sweet HDMA
this is getting laundromatic
Wind Fish

Post by Wind Fish »

Lazy_ wrote:
nah, his aesthetics are good. It wouldn't be the same if his levels were all flashy and ornate. Using default smw graphics and palettes is the best way to make it easy for the player to understand and react to the level. Plus it underlines the fact that this is still all an smw hack, which imo adds a lot of charm to his levels and helps accentuate his creative ideas. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Don't really get this mentality that smw hacks shouldn't look like smw, especially in contest levels that are supposed to be like smw.
Whilst I like the default SMW style, I always love seeing how people can mix & match the vanilla assets to make unique looking graphics. I'd personally love to see worldpeace do creative tileset mixing with a their crazy level design ideas, even if it were a one time thing. He would probably always secure 1st place in most contests if he did both aesthetics & design.
Nimono wrote:and yet despite this, few people enter the chocolate contest as opposed to the vanilla contest :P
A lot of people last year weren't even aware that the contest had started. It didn't help that there were a few other events going on at the same time.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

the whole point of the vanilla contest is making something cool—with equal constraints for everyone. chocolate contest is quite intimidating to a newbie like myself; there's a lot bigger learning curve for ASM and the like.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

The VLDC is quite intimidating as well. I gave up trying to learn how to use YY-CHR. Inserting ASM and graphics isn't hard (unless you're me, but that's because I'm allergic to anything that strays away from pure vanilla. It took me at least 3 hours to learn how to insert 2 lines of asm into my chocolate level design contest level. I still did well though.)
Mosts Awards:
Wind Fish

Post by Wind Fish »

What I'm wondering is which level are you going to turn into cement blocks this year? :P
idol

Post by idol »

my level hopefully
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

I agree with raocow in that Koopster's scores tend to reflect my own tastes the most closely in this contest.

I agree that the aesthetics were better than the design for the 10th place level, but I think calling the level "bland" might be overdoing it. There were some neat usages of the rotating platforms and lava loti, and the level wasn't boring. Even thinking only in terms of design, the level was still good. I wouldn't defend its position in 10th though.

9th place is Worldpeace. Enough said.
TRS

Post by TRS »

Actual quote from post-judging discussion:

<???> Does eight levels in best world sound like a good number?
<???> And leave worldpeace out?!
idol

Post by idol »

it'd be vldc7 all over again
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Ryrir wrote:
Nimono wrote:Because vanilla-looking SMW is "overdone" to most people, they want to see something NEW done with what it gives you, they want limits pushed, not more of what they've been seeing for years.
the irony is that the "new, flashy" look most people were going for in this contest is also way overdone at this point
preach it bro

when are people gonna learn that art design and aesthetic are overdone
like, we've had 'the arts' HEAVY QUOTES for a while now,

and i think the idea that things should look good is a bit played out? like guys stop being hipsters pls
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

AUS wrote:
Ryrir wrote:
preach it bro

when are people gonna learn that art design and aesthetic are overdone
like, we've had 'the arts' HEAVY QUOTES for a while now,

and i think the idea that things should look good is a bit played out? like guys stop being hipsters pls
who needs tile 1F0 when you can have tile 130 tbh
this is getting laundromatic
nothobz
of the jungle
First name: george

Re: VLDC9 - vertices localized discos constructed 9

Post by nothobz »

S.N.N. wrote:Unfortunately, one of those two is.. well..
your own?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I haven't finished playing through all of best world yet, but so far it has been a bit of a letdown. Most of the levels I've played look nicer than they play, and it makes the judging look really reactionary as a result. Obviously I'm not in any sort of position to talk, seeing as I've never been a judge so I don't know what it's like. Hell, maybe after playing 30 mediocre levels in a row a level that's actually good feels like it's a lot better than it actually is? :? :?

Blue Leaf's level has definitely been my personal favourite so far (I'm at 50 exits right now and so far the only two levels I remember fondly have been Blue Leaf's and lolyoshi's. Not that I think every other level is bad, those are just the only two that had gameplay that I've really enjoyed. With every other level I think back to, all I can focus on are the aesthetics (or their gimmick) :oops: )
Lazy_
druine

Post by Lazy_ »

Yeah I can't feel you on that. Vanilla SMW gfx are perfectly fine to me. I wanna see that innovation you described with gameplay, not with visuals. Looking at a pretty painting is just not all that fun.

ontopic: Stadium of Plants is boring af
is there an integer overflow when you become 256 years old
LHB

Post by LHB »

Stadium of Plants looked really boring honestly. Almost all of the enemies seem to be there just to take up space; most setups require little more thought than "spin jump this Koopa, move forward". It feels like the creator made the level by putting down all the ground first, then going through later and filling the level with enemies.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Seems like I missed some days. Let's catch up.

Triangle Land's okay, if awkward to move around. I find the secret path to be far more interesting than the normal path. It's a bit difficult to do that autoscrolling room on a first read, but it's certainly possible. Normal exit's just some jumps and triangle blocks.

Neon Castle is a good way to close out Dream Land. It's not incredibly special gameplay wise, but has a nice look, and feels good to clear.

Best World... we have some good levels here; I don't care what anyone says. I'm here for the levels, not the rankings!

For me personally, great graphics or gameplay draws me in. Graphic creativity does so a bit more than gameplay, usually, but either one is really nice to see if the other factor is at least acceptable to good.

Stellar Garden's a very good level, but mainly for the looks. But it's also real good in terms of gameplay. The mace and platform setups are neat, There's also some neat secrets... Hah, I think anything that needed to be said about this level has been said already. This is a good level. The red stars are silly, too. The second half is better overall... and the difficulty is nicely curved throughout. Actually, that's true of all three of these levels.

Ice Cutting Site... it's a treat to see worldpeace's offerings to the SMW community, and it always does something really cool. In this case, it's a good ice level... with reflections! That mechanic was done beautifully. The level also looks alright, too. Also, the vine and saw puzzles are some of the coolest ideas to come out of vanilla SMW. So once again, you have another level that is great, as usual...

Okay, I don't know why Stadium of Plants could possibly be conceived as 66th place. (unless you're speaking about the next level, which we don't know about) It's fully deserving of a lofty placement. But it's due to the visuals that it earns this. This level nails the stadium look perfectly. The gameplay is pretty nice, though. Kind of like Stellar Garden, this level picks up in the second half. Moles are strange here, and the level is visually busy, but those are minor quips. This is another level I really enjoy.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
zagesaw

Post by zagesaw »

Maybe i was being harsh with Stellar Garden. By bland I mean more blandish than I would expect for a Top 10 placement, especially since I feel that other levels deserved it far more. It should still get Top 20-30 because it is a good level but it's mostly due to the aesthetics being really strong. I also think the winning contest level should be Top 20-30 too instead of well..the winner.

I really didn't like playing Stadium of Plants, and I don't like how the cape is an invisible block for the secret exit. I strongly disagree with having to find an invisible block be mandatory to get the secret exit. Maybe put coin guides to indicate where it is or something. I've seen others completely miss the cape and tried to do a running jump to reach the ledge to reach the secret exit, because it is still possible but really difficult to pull off.
The level also was really busy in certain parts and the first half was kinda boring. I stand by with placing it in the 60s. It was the only level in the best world that I didn't enjoy playing.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Stadium of Plants is not great. The first part is fine, but then the level just shits the bed.
The middle part is a graphical clusterfuck of unreadability and also contains the inane secret exit puzzle, with the possibility of not even noticing the midpoint.

And then both ending paths are just boring autoscrolls that are very slow and demand nothing of the player. They're mostly about relocating a little bit to avoid danger and very simple movements. Like OOPS!, if it was fair.

I don't like it.