(shouting)

VLDC9 - vanilla level design contest 9

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: VLDC9 - vanquished landings dire compounds 9

Post by raocow »

like seriously they say to 'email one of the moderators' but I'm not seeing any email adresses
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

I'll send you a PM with the guy you can contact.

e: better yet, I'll just get it reset for you and send it to you directly.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

I made a custom background in LM, go me

I got this shit in the bag. in the bag!
Koopster
judge of u

Post by Koopster »

Interestingly, I have been planning on calling you personally to participate just for the heck of it. Guess I don't have to :D

34th: RUINS ON BLOOD by Guilherme F Santos
Nimono
DESIGN: 25/30
CREATIVITY: 18/20
AESTHETICS: 10/10
TOTAL: 53/60
Oh my gosh that was stressful at the end. The level looks very nice, though some parts are flawed in design (such as the second half where you have to go from a springboard onto a platform with spikes above; it's very difficult to avoid taking damage). Still, nice!

ninja boy
DESIGN: 17/30
CREATIVITY: 17/20
TOTAL: 44/60
This was a well built level the only downside is that the boo cloud is easy to bypass seeing as it's only interactive for 1 screen meaning you can just run through it. Other than that the level is very well made and fun to play.

Eternity
DESIGN: 18/30
CREATIVITY: 14/20
AESTHETICS: 7/10
TOTAL: 39/60
Some pretty nice level design here, specially on the first part. The theme of the level is fairly unusual as well, and it works but I would have liked to see more done with it. The second half doesn't seem as fun to me, mostly because it's a lot more cramped and the setups aren't as interesting.

Koopster
DESIGN: 15/30
CREATIVITY: 10/20
AESTHETICS: 6/10
TOTAL: 31/60
I think you meant to have the boo ring as the main obstacle of this level, but I don't see much focus especially in the first half. I feel there is a lot of random enemies thrown here and there, not doing anything really interesting. In fact, the rings are a lot about waiting around... the second half picks up in difficulty, but not in a very good way. There's a few awkward and big Mario discriminating jumps. The appearing ghosts in the end don't add much - I always thought they were really bad on being interesting obstacles. I think you could've explored the "blood" concept faaar more than you did. You used it for nothing but as pits in the stage, and abandoned it fully in the second half. Too bad! Though I do think you've done some interesting vanilla GFX work, even though the colors and weird contrast really didn't help.

74th: TROPICAL STRONGHOLD by tcdw
Nimono
DESIGN: 20/30
AESTHETICS: 3/10
TOTAL: 37/60
Hmm... I feel like you're leaving some of your ideas here unfinished. For example, the Boo Cloud at the end of the level lasts for just two small nets, and then it's gone. It left me wanting more... Aside from that, your level's palette was way too dark, it hurt my eyes a little... Try to tone down the darkness next time.

ninja boy
AESTHETICS: 8/10
TOTAL: 37/60
This level had a very nice atmosphere to it making it feel very dreary and somber but provided a nice challenge.

Eternity
AESTHETICS: 5/10
TOTAL: 30/60
Another level that starts out fine, but loses steam over time. The second section doesn't feel as fun as the first, and a few things feel rather out of place (the Fishin' Boo makes a surprisingly brief appearance, for example). The last section before the goal is also pretty bland when compared with everything else - the appearing ghosts are a fairly uninteresting obstacle when compared with everything else, and the regular enemies die pretty quickly before they could become a threat too.

Koopster
DESIGN: 14/30
TOTAL: 29/60
Oh my God those dark palettes are kinda bothersome... this level doesn't do a lot out of the ordinary. It's a very linear level with a few deviations for dragon coins and also that bonus that takes a bit too much to get imo. It doesn't do anything innovative, which is not necessarily bad, but also not interesting!
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

The first half of Ruins on Blood has quite a few obstacles that are just "here's an enemy, jump over the enemy", intermixed with the more interesting setups. The second half had a Boo Ring you had to wait around too much for, and the Boo Cloud isn't particularly interesting either. There are some good obstacles here too though. Furthermore, although the difficulty curve is mostly fine, there were a couple obstacles that seemed out of place, like the one pencil in the first half and the spring jump in the second. Perhaps the pencil part was just something I sucked at though, as raocow had no problems there. :P I like the aesthetics, but some of the colours feel off to me. In short, I don't feel like the level nailed anything, but I think it had a strong showing for most of it.

I feel like I'm one of the few people who liked how dark the second level was. The Fishing Boo and the Boo Cloud stuck around for not quite enough time, but I liked how the Boo Cloud worked well with the net considering it was originally intended to be placed underwater. It definitely feels like a lot of the different Ghost Houses were crammed into one level here, but the obstacles were still pretty fun.

The Boo Cloud can be used better if the player is allowed to stay near the center of the screen where the ghosts are thinner. That's why it works in a level with nets or water, but I think it could work in a land level if done correctly.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Koopster wrote:Interestingly, I have been planning on calling you personally to participate just for the heck of it. Guess I don't have to :D
I assume you're talking to raocow and not me
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Re: VLDC9 - verdigris lengths decrepit catacombs 9

Post by FrozenQuills »

City Sewers is a really nice looking level. It starts off rompy at first but I kinda liked the layer 2 and bats in the second half. It really didn't need to be super cramped at the end though, especially with the bat ceiling starting to become constantly in the way.

Warehouse really needs to tone down that background lol. But besides that, it's alright overwall. I think this is one of the only smw-like ghost houses we have in this contest, btw.

Unsettling Bastion is probably my top favorite level in this entire contest actually. The light gimmick, mini puzzles, and elevators combined with the aesthetics actually guiding the player make for a fantastic level. It even used bowser's bowling ball somehow in really neat ways. It should have gotten top 10 imo.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Koopster
judge of u

Post by Koopster »

Mata Hari wrote:
Koopster wrote:Interestingly, I have been planning on calling you personally to participate just for the heck of it. Guess I don't have to :D
I assume you're talking to raocow and not me
Yes, sorry for any confusion

19th: CITY SEWERS by K3fka and Eevee
Nimono
DESIGN: 27/30
CREATIVITY: 20/20
TOTAL: 57/60
Very satisfying level with a great theme. The end pipe for the second half was a pain to get into due to the ceiling being too high up and the bats spawning RIGHT THERE, but overall this was a VERY good level, well done!

ninja boy
CREATIVITY: 15/20
TOTAL: 43/60
Nice rompy sewer level

Eternity
DESIGN: 22/30
TOTAL: 44/60
Some fairly interesting setups, and it actually felt like a sewer level - not as open as most levels, but thankfully not overly cramped and annoying to play through. Some areas are still a bit annoying though, specially the end part of the bat ceiling sublevel (tried a few times and I just couldn't get through it without taking a hit/dying).

Koopster
DESIGN: 20/30
CREATIVITY: 13/20
This level looks really good, and somehow Kraken adds to the athmosphere greatly! The second half uses the bat generator fairly well, except for the last few screens which are a bit too tight. Otherwise, a pretty simple level with very simple concepts. Sets on what it wants to do and does it.

67th: WAREHOUSE by GST_Bass
Nimono
CREATIVITY: 12/20
AESTHETICS: 4/10
TOTAL: 33/60
Interesting level with multiple paths, but ultimately not all that difficult. There doesn't feel to be much substance with the level... On top of that, the background very much looks like foreground, and it's a little disorienting to see.

ninja boy
AESTHETICS: 9/10
TOTAL: 39/60
The graphics for this level were really good though the boxes and small pipes did throw me off at first since they looked just like the normal foreground tiles. The vertical section was probably my favorite out of all the rooms since you could just run and jump up the entire thing without really stopping.

Eternity
DESIGN: 14/30
TOTAL: 33/60
Other than the unusual tileset, this is pretty much a normal ghost house level, but without anything to make it more interesting. Ghost house levels usually have some sort of puzzle as their main gimmick, as Boos usually don't make for particularly interesting obstacles by themselves (they can be used in some neat ways, but that wasn't the case here - the placeement was rather generic, in fact). Also, the crates in the background were very distracting, as they seem like they are foregound objects.

Koopster
AESTHETICS: 7/10
TOTAL: 34/60
I kinda see what you were going for (I think lighting up torches is a neat gimmick) but I kind of don't? Like, the way the room you first go changes, but regardless, both pipes after you beat the first half take to the same area. All in all, this level was fine, but it didn't go more far than a basic ghost house platforming level, which is unfortunate :( I like the aesthetical work mostly but I think the pipes in the background are a little too bright!

17th: UNSETTLING BASTION by Gloomier
Nimono
DESIGN: 25/30
TOTAL: 48/60
Fun, cool level! I liked the elevators in the room after the midpoint, I wish you'd used those more. Overall, it didn't feel like the gimmicks weren't cohesive with each other, but it was still a fun level.

ninja boy
CREATIVITY: 16/20
Very well put together with nice graphic choices and a decent puzzle though if you move fast enough the second door can be skipped over with the throw block.

Eternity
DESIGN: 26/30
CREATIVITY: 17/20
TOTAL: 51/60
This one had some pretty creative gimmicks, and I really loved how you used skeletons as hints through the level. Had a lot of fun playing through it, and you've done a great job with the aesthetics too. Nice to see someone actually used the Bowser Bowling Balls too.

OTHER: I don't think I have seen them on this contest before, at least. If someone else used them sorry ^^'

Koopster
DESIGN: 22/30
CREATIVITY: 16/20
TOTAL: 48/60
Wow, nice level! Didn't expect a spooky scary plot going on. I really dig the mysterious feel that exists thanks to the puzzles and unexpected gimmicks. I just felt this was a little too straight-forward for what it had set to do. It also doesn't seem very decided on what it wanted to do and changes gimmicks kind of drastically. But that's not entirely bad, as it allows more variation. In any case, I still like this a lot.
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

The first half of city sewers was probably weaker than the second half. I liked how the layers and the bat cloud worked together to force you to lure the bats somewhere before progressing. It never felt like I was waiting for the layers, and I felt like I had room to maneuver to avoid the bat cloud even though it was still a threat. The exception is the tail end where it forces you to run into the pipe, which I think was a mistake. I also think it really needed a powerup at the midpoint because an obstacle like the bat ceiling warrants it. The first half suffers from "just there"-ness. I also really like how the level started in the sewers instead of bookending the level with the happy outdoor area. It makes the impact when you get out stronger.

The second level was solid and enjoyable to play IMO. Nothing more to say here.

Unsettling Bastion was great! The skeletons showing where danger lies is straightforward in itself, but it was used in very creative ways when combod with bowling balls, rising layers and other puzzles. raocow didn't find the light block in the first room unfortunately (it's to the left of one of the pokeys), which makes the first text box make a bit more sense. But I do like how the level maintained a feeling of needing to turn on a light to find the first door while also making it impossible to find by floundering around pressing ↑. Unsettling Bastion nailed just about everything IMO.
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Post by snoruntpyro »

Nice rompy sewer level
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Unsettling Bastion is really cool, but I'm a bit bummed out that the layer 2 gimmick in the second half wasn't explored a bit more. Felt like there was a tiny bit of wasted potential there.
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ryrir »

When I got the orb thing in Unsettling Bastion and it made the midpoint sound I actually thought that the guy somehow managed to pull off multi-midpoints in vanilla. I thought the puzzle was that the respawn point might be in another section, and since the text just before that mentioned something about the might of the undead or something, I promptly committed suicide (only to respawn at the actual midway point and having to redo everything).

I guess that this could be my fault because I actually know that you can't have more than one midpoint in vanilla SMW, but still.
Using the midpoint soundeffect there might not be the best idea, especially if you have messages about the undead and dying and stuff??

Also, City Sewers doesn't have a powerup if you respawn at the midpoint which seems like kind of a big oversight to me
this is getting laundromatic
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

I almost never comment that much on aesthetics, but Warehouse's background had black borders around everything. It was seriously distracting.

Unsettling Bastion's first half was above average but not amazing. I also think it could have some vertical elevator section where the bones and skulls change position using ON/OFF and ExAnimation shenanigans, and having to react properly to that (or any other equally creative idea). It's still a really good level and could have been a few spots higher, but it could have also been way better.

Also, ninja boy's review of the sewer level is surprisingly short, considering how much fluff he adds to his narration during his let's plays.
Last edited by ft029 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Mosts Awards:
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

Ryrir wrote: Using the midpoint soundeffect there might not be the best idea, especially if you have messages about the undead and dying and stuff??
I dunno, I think I'd even be more likely to assume the shell is a resprited key before trying to kill myself there deliberately. :P
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

OOOPS I gave a pretty bad level a perfect score by accident OOOOPS

I guess I'm just salty about it because I really, really hated that level. If you die more than a few times due to random rocks falling from off screen you're going to have a bad time. Even if you leave gameplay out of the picture, giving a perfect score in aesthetics seems questionable in and of itself
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Ryrir wrote:OOOPS I gave a pretty bad level a perfect score by accident OOOOPS

I guess I'm just salty about it because I really, really hated that level.
what you're mad that a judge gave a perfect score to a clearly, like, laughably bad level? i wonder why you could be mad
stop being so mand
why you mad

EDIT: no seriously legitimately the post-penalty score that level got? totally appropriate. should've been the judge's placement, L0l
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Pretty sure OOPS! was the level Nimono admitted to completely fudging. As for why, I'm sure he'll explain.

He's already been ridiculed enough for it by everyone though, so be gentle.
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

S.N.N. wrote:
Pretty sure OOPS! was the level Nimono admitted to completely fudging. As for why, I'm sure he'll explain.

He's already been ridiculed enough for it by everyone though, so be gentle.
Yeah like I said to a degree it's just me being salty.
I had a really, really bad time with this level and somehow instead of blaming the author for not seeing/fixing its problems, I kind of blamed Nimono for giving it a perfect score (which is pretty stupid because I ususally hate people ridiculing something just because other people like/dislike it).

No hard feelings
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

*looks into the camera like i'm on the office*
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Koopster
judge of u

Post by Koopster »

Cave world!! The submap that I designed. It was hard to make it look good!!!! But don't blame me for the colors (I design with vanilla colors cause my palettes are bad), ASM, graphics and the super nice layer 3 light effect!
And it also has the level that, in my opinion (but not most people's), should've won.

109th: MOLTEN CAVERN by Hypershadic
PENALTY REASONING: -24 for using 4 days of the extension
Nimono
DESIGN: 8/30
CREATIVITY: 8/20
AESTHETICS: 4/10
TOTAL: 20/60
This level is alright-ish, but at the very beginning, if you get hit by any of the 5 enemies coming at you before you reach the skull raft, you HAVE to lose a life to retry. This is a major no-no- if the normal path requires a Mushroom for spin jumping, it should be provided with no way to lose it!

ninja boy
DESIGN: 13/30
CREATIVITY: 11/20
TOTAL: 30/60
This was a nice little level but I also stress little. The beginning is by far the better portion as the second half just feels kind of rushed and uninspired compared to the first half. I would of liked to see more of an athletic portion on the second half which had bit sprinkled in there but nothing to really standout.

Eternity
DESIGN: 10/30
TOTAL: 26/60
Design-wise, this level lacks anything to make it interesting. It starts off well, evne if a bit too simple, but there are a fair bit of empty sections without any enemies that pose a real challenge. The biggest offender is the autoscroll section, though - it starts off with what seems to be a branching path, but one of them is a dead end with no indication at all. Then there are a few annoying jumps (mostly due to artificial difficulty caused by the muncher placement) and even more empty areas on flat(ish) stretches of land. Overall, this needs a lot of work.

Koopster
TOTAL: 35/60
Nice cute little level, but it's a basically a romp, that is, it doesn't do much! Also, you don't have much of a focus. At least the first half is mostly about the skull raft, but the second half felt a lot more random since it just kinda threw random enemies and obstacles at me. Not bad per say, but yeah! Oh, and I like the hiding spot for the moon and third dragon coin.

107th: OOPS! by dax
PENALTY REASONING: a grand total of minus thirty points for using the full extension! (5 days) In fact, dax decided to make a level after the deadline.
Nimono
DESIGN: 30/30
CREATIVITY: 20/20
TOTAL: 60/60
Very hectic, very difficult, quite fun! I love how much action there is to this level just with one singular enemy. AMAZING job!

ninja boy
CREATIVITY: 18/20
TOTAL: 42/60
The escape the lava theme it's anything too new but you made it unique by adding in the boulders making feel more like a volcano rumbling and loosening rocks creating a cave in.

Eternity
DESIGN: 10/30
CREATIVITY: 5/20
TOTAL: 20/60
This level has a few major issues:

-It's slow
-It lacks any obstacles other than rocks, and feels very bland to play through as a result
-It's really slow
-It's way too long and doesn't have much variety. It gets boring pretty fast due to that
-It's extremely slow

That's pretty much it. The idea is fine I guess, but this needs a lot of work - honestly, the execution was horrible.

OTHER: oh, and it's slow

Koopster
AESTHETICS: 9/10
TOTAL: 38/60
The concept of a crumbling cave is pretty neat! But the level gets rather repetitive and boring to replay over and over after a while. I think it could've been a little shorter, y'know? Also, dodging the rocks is kinda a matter of learning sometimes. I felt the coins leaded me to where the rocks were gonna fall at some places D:

In disagreement with the other judges, I thought Molten Cavern was more on the tier of mid-ranking levels. It's a bit empty and short, but it does its thing. 35 may be a tad too high though.
I'm guilty about my score for oops!, I should not have given it that high. I find it incredible that you only died once and at the beginning, but I'm glad you were able to see what the issue with this level is. It's boring, long and unfair. I was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too forgiving.
Nimono's justification to his high score doesn't involve him thinking the level deserved that high either, I can tell you that much.
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

I thought Molten Cavern was clumsy and felt like a "this is my first time using LM" level. It was boring, flat and didn't guide the player very well. I did the same thing as raocow trying to spin jump on the block with the coin below it for exactly the same reason. It did have some redeeming qualities though (for example, the setup where you use the noteblock to jump under the Koopa was pretty nice). I think this designer just needs practice.

OOPS was terrible IMO, even worse than the other level. raocow's experience is what it's like when you mostly guess correctly on where the rocks are going to fall. I guessed wrong nearly every single time, in contrast, and basically ended up just memorizing the level. Sometimes there's a ceiling to show where things are safe, but the coins are just placed willy-nilly instead of pointing out safe spots. I think this is one of those levels where ninja boy's rewinds probably skewed his results (though maybe he had an experience similar to raocow, who can say?).

Man, these overworlds are all great. :)

I didn't even realize that the slot machine in the Red Switch Palace was a choice of three places to throw the shell. The screen hadn't scrolled yet, so I just threw it down the first one.
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Post by snoruntpyro »

I wasn't able to beat OOPS!. It's just such a snoozefest and a really horrible level. You can probably see why. The have-to-be-big DC at the end is especially a dick move.
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

109th: MOLTEN CAVERN by Hypershadic

The biggest offender is the autoscroll section, though - it starts off with what seems to be a branching path, but one of them is a dead end with no indication at all.
this is especially hilarious in the context of today's episode

lack of clarity tbh
zagesaw

Post by zagesaw »

I can kind of understand why Nimono gave levels like Triangular Ship and Gambly Night a perfect score, because although I believe those levels are heavily flawed in ways, they do some stuff extremely well.

Oops! on the other hand is a god awful joke level and I'd assume he gave it a 60/60 as a joke/troll score. It was one of the worst levels I've played in the entire contest. Why Oops! didn't get a green door is beyond me. I have no issue with anyone tool spamming that level just to get the exit. I don't understand why he would give it a 60/60 unless he wasn't taking the judging of the contest seriously in the slightest. Even if you somehow liked the level, can you honestly give it a 30/30 for Design or a 10 for Aesthetics?

Oops! was one of the most miserable experiences I've had with this contest. It's a slow auto-scrolling cave level with no midpoint and just falling rocks that either require you to be lucky or memorize by redoing the level over and over again. Not to mention the ending section that requires you to make blind jumps. The level is extremely slow and boring too. There are only a few levels that I possibly dislike more.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

I feel that Nimono was easy on that level because it was submitted after the deadline.... is what I would be saying, if Molten Cavern didn't receive such a low score from him... I don't fully understand that line of reasoning. (EDIT: Sorry. Gender confusion is easy)

The levels I missed were all okay, excluding City Sewers, which had really good music choice and actual good use of the bat cloud... (wow) and Unsettling Bastion, which is simply a terrific Ghost House level that I am shocked is using fully vanilla assets. It also nails the atmosphere just right.

Molten Cavern is one of those 'it's kind of there' levels, except it's actually kind of unique... and not in a great way. That coin below the vine was kind of silly, for reasons that raocow demonstrated. The Dragon Coin over lava was also mean. However, the autoscroll was okay since it marks good paths. It seems to be some cheap tension, though. Wouldn't want that in a movie. Thankfully, this is a level design contest, so no faults there. This is an okay level, overall.

....Okay, time for the other one.

OOPS, this level has pacing issues!!! *sigh* This would have been okay if the lava moved dynamically related to Mario, but no, this is an AUTOSCROLLER. And it takes 300 seconds. That is just terrible. Also, there is zero variety to the obstacles. I get the point, but... no. Also also, those Dragon Coins requiring Mario to be powered-up.... AND risking death. Also also also, no midpoint. This level might be another candidate for the top rungs of worst world, but the rocks do have thought put into their placement. It's just that this is a bad idea, and there's a reason why SMBX levels, among games that can actually change the scroll speed of lava, do this far better. Leave this at home next time, unless you find a way to make it not an autoscroller.

Yes, I'm being harsh today. But that's because I don't really like these levels.. I believe you both can do better.

ninja boy, I like that ending message. It's just so good. Also, I like me some traditional puzzles, so the switch palace is nice, too.
Last edited by Zephyr_DragonLord 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)