(shouting)

ダイナマイトヘッディー: FINALE ANALYSIS (end)

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Dynamite Headdy: NORTH TOWN | CONCERT PANIC | FIRE CARNIVAL | identical | GUEST AREA | STARLIGHT STORM

Post by Bean »

It's nice to see raocow branch out to the Sega side of platforming for a change of pace. This game totally has that Treasure feel to it except that it feels even more strange and faster-paced than usual. Lot of stuff going on visually here. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Guess it depends on the level!
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Re: Dynamite Headdy: NORTH TOWN | CONCERT PANIC | FIRE CARNIVAL | identical | GUEST AREA | STARLIGHT STORM

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Four minutes into this video I thought to myself: "What the fuck???"

This is gonna be a thing ain't it... xd
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

treasure once again showing that their M.O. during the mega drive days was boss fights, boss fights, boss fights.
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Money

Post by Money »

I in good faith cant call Treasure's games "well designed" (at least from the ones I've seen) but I'll be damned if theyre not some of the most passionate games out there. You can just tell they had a blast making them.
TheQu

Post by TheQu »

This has been one of my favorite games since I was a toddler. It's a pleasure to see any lp of it, and the attention raocow is going to bring to such a hidden gem is delightful.

Out of all of Treasure's games, Headdy epitomizes what I love about their Genesis days the most. The sense of 'let's just make something cool and throw it in', the almost completely absent story (literally in the English version) supplanted completely with gameplay, the way the game just fills the screen with crazy crap and, most importantly, the bosses. Treasure just *got* bosses in a way few companies did.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

CrappyBlueLuigi wrote:treasure once again showing that their M.O. during the mega drive days was boss fights, boss fights, boss fights.
nothing wrong with that. Bosses are often the best parts of the games!
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

Sebby19 wrote:
CrappyBlueLuigi wrote:treasure once again showing that their M.O. during the mega drive days was boss fights, boss fights, boss fights.
nothing wrong with that. Bosses are often the best parts of the games!
oh, DEFINITELY not a bad thing. it's just fun to point out! the only treasure platformer on the genesis i can think of that didn't have a focus on boss fights was McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure.
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Grounder

Re: Dynamite Headdy: SOUTH TOWN | WORKING GEAR | RESTLESS FACTORY | MYSTERY SPOT

Post by Grounder »

I'm not afraid of anything anymore!

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Dynamite Headdy: ESCAPE HERO! | THREE FRIENDS | FRIEND'S ROOM

Post by SAJewers »

Stink Terios wrote:The translated japanese version is on Steam.
Now that I remember it, most of the game that are a part of SEGA Mega Drive & Genesis Classics have a Chill Edition that give you infinite lives.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Divemissile

Re: Dynamite Headdy: SOUTH TOWN | WORKING GEAR | RESTLESS FACTORY | MYSTERY SPOT

Post by Divemissile »

i've only ever heard of this game from a really weird 32x commercial, didn't expect it'd be like this

also, i think this is the only real instance of a game's localization being made harder on purpose, any other examples of this?
Matt is me
[color=#FFD700]Forum codes don't work here...[/color]

Post by Matt is me »

More secret bonus points!!

Act 4.1 - A really long scene. 3 secrets here. Hit those "Hit me" balls a lot and earn a bonus point! It's way more times than you need to beat the area though, pretty much gotta do it on purpose.
Later on, when you're fighting the tank, you can destroy his bullets, as raocow demonstrated. That's a secret.
Just after, the guy who is blocking the water drain is actually destructable (jump above his head and shoot down). Destroy him for another!

Act 4.2 - Just 1 here. You see those hammer blocks all over? Those can only be destroyed with hammer head. Break all of them for a secret.

Act 4.3 - 2 secrets, both of which are the same. Those two fans at the end of the area can be destroyed if you're patient (they take a lot of hits, even with hammer head which does double damage). But yeah, each one is worth a secret bonus point.

Act 4.4 - a tiny area, but it does hold a secret. If you wait around in the beginning, Beno (or "Super Beno", to explain the SB on his platform) will come down to clean the window. Destroy him for a bonus.

"I wonder if there's a way to fight a boss here" - nope. Heather always beats you to it here. There is no act 4 boss. But, this part is special--it's the only bit of dialogue outside the practice area that wasn't stripped out of the game when it was localized!

raocow - it might help you to know that the nap head (the 3 z's on headcase) heals you. Could have saved you some trouble in Terminate Her Too. And bomb head can be super powerful, but yeah, you have to release it before it explodes on your head. Don't sweat it too much, I can only think of one more time it appears, though I might be forgetting some. There's certainly only one more spot I ever use it. The only "trap" head is Melon Head, the one you got against Mad Dog. That one....should always be avoided, and is usually in rotation next to a really good head, just to make you be extra careful.

Using savestates at the beginning of each Act is a decent idea, but if you get down to one life left, beating an entire late-game act in one go is no small feat. I don't know what to suggest though....I could probably get you a save at any given act with a few spare lives, I guess, if it comes down to that. Alternatively, there's a spot in act 8 that you could slowly and tediously farm for lives--there's a scene with 2 extra lives in it, and they do respwan when you die, so if you get both and kill yourself over and over, you do make a profit...
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Divemissile wrote:also, i think this is the only real instance of a game's localization being made harder on purpose, any other examples of this?
7th Saga, though that's an RPG and not a platformer. I don't know about any other platformers where this happened.

For whatever reason, all the enemies were made significantly stronger in the English version. As a result, it's really grindy and frustrating.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

There's actually a TVTropes page documenting these, though both ways.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... tyByRegion
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Matt is me wrote:Using savestates at the beginning of each Act is a decent idea, but if you get down to one life left, beating an entire late-game act in one go is no small feat. I don't know what to suggest though....I could probably get you a save at any given act with a few spare lives, I guess, if it comes down to that. Alternatively, there's a spot in act 8 that you could slowly and tediously farm for lives--there's a scene with 2 extra lives in it, and they do respwan when you die, so if you get both and kill yourself over and over, you do make a profit...
raocow, Dynamite Headdy has a level select code. You can use the code to get back to where you were with all your lives.

Level Select Code:
At the title screen, highlight Game Start and press C, A, Left, Right, B, Start.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

There's a level select code!? RIP child me.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

The Doctor wrote:
Matt is me wrote:Using savestates at the beginning of each Act is a decent idea, but if you get down to one life left, beating an entire late-game act in one go is no small feat. I don't know what to suggest though....I could probably get you a save at any given act with a few spare lives, I guess, if it comes down to that. Alternatively, there's a spot in act 8 that you could slowly and tediously farm for lives--there's a scene with 2 extra lives in it, and they do respwan when you die, so if you get both and kill yourself over and over, you do make a profit...
raocow, Dynamite Headdy has a level select code. You can use the code to get back to where you were with all your lives.

Level Select Code:
At the title screen, highlight Game Start and press C, A, Left, Right, B, Start.
that is a really nice thing to know
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I guess if you are willing to use cheats, maybe a Rayman 1 LP isn't out of the question...

Still a very difficult game though.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
muuma

Post by muuma »

By the way mister cow, the "B" appearing on Headcase sometimes lead to a secret stage. Remember 8? Well you have to do it 3 more times to get a 4 digit number which allows you to beat a secret boss at the very end of the game, after the credits. I noticed you missed some. And you probably recorded today's video so I don't know if you got that one in "Go Headdy Go", and there are only two bonus stage left in the game after that, so the code will never be complete...sad, I was hoping you could get to the secret boss, welp. And the code changes on every playthrough so you can't just rebeat the final boss by stage selection and then unlock the secret boss.
I see what you did there...
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

muuma wrote:By the way mister cow, the "B" appearing on Headcase sometimes lead to a secret stage. Remember 8? Well you have to do it 3 more times to get a 4 digit number which allows you to beat a secret boss at the very end of the game, after the credits. I noticed you missed some. And you probably recorded today's video so I don't know if you got that one in "Go Headdy Go", and there are only two bonus stage left in the game after that, so the code will never be complete...sad, I was hoping you could get to the secret boss, welp. And the code changes on every playthrough so you can't just rebeat the final boss by stage selection and then unlock the secret boss.
you could send him a savestate or something
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Fun fact, I believe in the japanese version its said Trouble Bruin / Maruyama is afraid of heights, which is why he closes his eyes when he rushes at you on the tower. (or something like that anyway)

Also this character got the Kirby treatment in that you have cute smiley japanese one turned into permenant scowl american version. (tho admiteddly the japanese one is still creepy in its own way)

Grounder

Re: Dynamite Headdy: PUPPET TOWER | GO UP! | ROLLING ROLLING

Post by Grounder »

apollo justice
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Well, that looked annoying and tedious.

EDIT: Also, maybe consider just switching over to the Steam release, where you can get the infinite lives mod (it comes with a level select too)
Matt is me
[color=#FFD700]Forum codes don't work here...[/color]

Post by Matt is me »

Yeah...act 5 is where the game gets harder. It's where very young me got stuck for the first time. It...doesn't get easier from here I'm afraid to say.

I'll still go over the bonus points in the scenes we saw.

Act 5.1 - This is the tiniest little scene ever, serving only to offer a bonus game. There are no secrets here.

Act 5.2 - This secret is dumb. Just...take too long. After a certain amount of time, you get a bonus point. Sometimes, it's unavoidable to get, because sometimes Trouble Bruin doesn't cooperate and you CAN'T kill him fast enough to not get it. Like what happened to raocow that one time.

Act 5.3 - If you make it far enough without getting damaged at all (from the beginning of the act up until after the arms boss thing), you get a secret bonus! No need to flawless the shielded ball dude (Another well named enemy--he's Armordillo), thankfully.

Act 5.4 - This one's actually really hard to get. When beno walks by (and here it's not random, happens at a fixed time every time, during the second time you get the chance to attack), destroy him for the point. But between the spike, Beno doing contact damage, Beno having more than one hit, and just not having a ton of time before he walks off, it's a toughie. And you only get one shot - once Beno is gone, he ain't coming back.

I should have explained how you lose the bonus game, 'cause it's not obvious I see now. Only baskets with the stars count for points--the ones with basketballs make the machines spit balls (and bombs!) faster, the ones with slow symbols slow down the baskets, and the ones with the Dark Demons emblem blow up a machine. Get 2 of those, and you've lost.
muuma

Post by muuma »

Well since you're back where you began the video mister cow, I would suggest you save after each successful bonus game, I was scared because the one time you didn't get a game over on Stair Wars, you didn't succeed the bonus game. There are only two access to it left in the game. And I think the password at the end of the game doesn't count if you don't have it entirely. Well like Grounder said, I'm preparing a savestate just in case. And yeah I have trouble with genesis quick save too, you need to do it properly with "save as" or something.
I see what you did there...
Unaniem
Desperately trying to figure out just what the hell
First name: Tree

Post by Unaniem »

Another small tip in case we're sticking to the american emulated version: The tokens with "T" on them that the Keymasters drop after they've been defeated are continue tokens. If you collect enough of them whenever a boss is killed, you'll get a voice saying "You've got another try!" and likewise, you earn a continue.

Still I'd suggest the same others have at this point and flipping over to the steam releases (preferably the japanese translated one because the dialogue just makes the game a lot more coherent and charming) allowing you easy extra lives and level selects. The game is only going to continue increasing the difficulty at this point.