(shouting)

ダイナマイトヘッディー: FINALE ANALYSIS (end)

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Dynamite Headdy: ESCAPE HERO! | THREE FRIENDS | FRIEND'S ROOM

Post by SAJewers »

Quick question to raocow, are you playing the Genesis ROM in an emulator, or are you playing the Steam Port?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

insert your own dirty head joke here
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

well I wasn't aware there was a port!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

According to Steam, you even own the game.Image
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

haha, welp!

I won't feel bad about using a rom then, since I own the original.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Yeah, unless you really want the image upscaling, probably not worth it to change now.
Matt is me
[color=#FFD700]Forum codes don't work here...[/color]

Post by Matt is me »

Ok, so this is probably my favorite game of all time ever, so I guess I should break my relative forum silence for this thread.

I guess I could detail the secret bonus points as they come. That's a fun thing--secret bonus points are things you get for doing optional, silly, and sometimes (in the later-game) very very hard things. They're worth points at the end of each act, but points do nothing. Getting all the secret bonus points in the game does nothing too. They're just there for more fun/challenge I guess. Here're the ones raocow could have gotten so far:

Act 1.1: If he killed the robot (so close!), you get one. Took me forever to learn I could even hit the dude, so nice on raocow there.

Act 2.1: 3 bonus points to get here, all from doing the tutorials. raocow got all of them, very impressively (the Beau one is harder than it seems, depending on your controller and how could it is at those diagonal shots, it can be near impossible).

If peeps are curious I could also detail the plot. It's not elaborated on at all in the English version, so things can seem entirely random, though mostly they're not. At this point, all that's happened is what we saw in the opening cutscene--the Dark Demon is taking over, taking toys and either accepting them into his new imperial army, or rejecting and destroying them. Headdy was rejected, but escaped and is not off to stop the Dark Demon. The "cat" we encountered at the end of Act 1.1 is Trouble Bruin, a bear who's beef with Headdy is mostly just that he thinks he should be the star of the game.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Many years ago I watched Madam Luna (a friend of Deceased Crab) LP this game, with DC as a guest. Interested in seeing how a blind run goes.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

This game looks super busy and I'm loving it so far!
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

i haven't watched the video yet, but i'm excited for this lp! dynamite headdy is a super charming game and i'm expecting raocow to have a ton of fun with it.
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Neat to see how similar some of the enemy animations are to the ones from mischief makers. Did not know they were made by a same studio, but it does kind of show.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Oh neat, thought it might have been Dynamite Headdy next after what raocow said. I never owned this game but I rented it a few times as a kid and it left an impression, I don't believe I ever managed to beat it back then but I had a ton of fun with it regardless.

Awesome soundtrack too. ^^
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

I wonder how raocow is going to handle the limited continues. Dynamite Headdy is a hard game, so he's going to get a game over sooner or later. He could reload his state at the beginning of the level, but it'll suck if he gets stuck with a single life and no continues halfway through the game.
kurt91

Re: Dynamite Headdy: NORTH TOWN | CONCERT PANIC | FIRE CARNIVAL | identical | GUEST AREA | STARLIGHT STORM

Post by kurt91 »

Oh man, I took a look at the changes from the Japanese to the English version. Some of the bosses that followed a pattern in their attacks were made completely random in what they do, and some of them had their HP increased. One of the later bosses actually had its HP doubled!

After how easy Dust was to play through, raocow's in for a bit of a shock going from one extreme to the other.
Grounder

Re: Dynamite Headdy: NORTH TOWN | CONCERT PANIC | FIRE CARNIVAL | identical | GUEST AREA | STARLIGHT STORM

Post by Grounder »

ゆっくりしていってね!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

Mind translating? I did a Google search, and I'm either confused on what you mean, or you made an insanely meta joke regarding the two versions of the game, that if it was intentional, I have no choice but to applaud you for a very beautiful comment.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

kurt91 wrote:Mind translating? I did a Google search, and I'm either confused on what you mean, or you made an insanely meta joke regarding the two versions of the game, that if it was intentional, I have no choice but to applaud you for a very beautiful comment.
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/yukkuri-shiteitte-ne

get it?

because they're heads?

get it?

ok :cry:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Matt is me
[color=#FFD700]Forum codes don't work here...[/color]

Post by Matt is me »

More secret bonus points!

Act 2.2 - 4 here. That tower raocow destroyed with the ball has a dude on it. If you get hammer head and hit the tower, you can knock the dude off without destroying the tower. That's worth a secret bonus point!
Also, you can kill those guys in the jail after you defeat the little robot (with the best name--Catherine Derigueur). Each is worth a bonus point, for 2 more. raocow got one of them.
Finally, at the split path right after that, if you go up you fight the secret boss Snake Eyes--killing him is a bonus point.

Act 2.3 - Just 1 here. Mad Dog can, instead of jumping down with a normal attack in his mouth, he can drop down with a friend called Beno. He's the same as the dude we saw flying by with a cape in Act 1.1. Destroy Beno for a bonus point! It's pretty rare, so raocow seeing it TWICE on both lives is pretty remarkable. It's real annoying waiting for it if you're going for a bonus point run....

Act 3.1 - Just 1 here. Those cannons that shoot rolling balls can, when you pass them, shoot a yellow smiley face ball. Destroy that for a bonus point.

Act 3.2 - Another 1 here. Trouble Bruin can shoot out a little cat that's inverse of the normal ones--a big blue head and brown body. Destroy it for a bonus point. This, unlike the Mad Dog one, is quite common so raocow NOT seeing it is just as remarkable as him seeing the Mad Dog one twice...

Act 3.3 - One more. Most people will beat Gentleman Jim before the puppeteer. Do the opposite, and get a secret bonus point! raocow is not most people.

Act 3.4 - Another 1, similar to Mad Dog. The Wood Puppet can, very rarely, wear a Beno costume. Destroy it for a bonus point. Another true test of patience in a bonus point run.

Plot-wise, we met Heather here! She's also in the market of stopping the Dark Demon, and she explains that these keys will open the door to the Dark Demons lair, and each is guarded by a key master. She'll hold on to 'em for you. We'll need them later in the game.

raocow found his first liberty bonus game! Beat these for a digit of a secret code. You'll want 4 of them by the end, and they get harder as they go. Unfortunately, there are only 6 chances all game, and raocow already missed one, so he can only fail one time if he wants the reward.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

You should also go over all the different Heads you can equip. It concerns me raocow was ignoring the powerup dude during the boss fights.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Money

Post by Money »

A running theme of Treasure games I've noticed is they seem to be more collections of "look at this neat thing I programmed" than actual cohesive games that build on themselves, which leads to a rollercoaster-ride like experience. It's super interesting and I've honestly never seen anything like them.
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

Grounder wrote:
kurt91 wrote:Mind translating? I did a Google search, and I'm either confused on what you mean, or you made an insanely meta joke regarding the two versions of the game, that if it was intentional, I have no choice but to applaud you for a very beautiful comment.

get it?

because they're heads?

get it?

Well, I'm a bit disappointed now. Like I said, I checked Google for a translation, and got two possible results. A literal translation came out as "Die Slowly", while a more casual translation came out as "Take It Easy". Considering that the difference in difficulty between the Japanese and English versions of the game had been brought up, I thought that the pun regarding the two translations was amazingly fitting and would have been an insanely impressive joke.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

kurt91 wrote:
Grounder wrote:

get it?

because they're heads?

get it?

Well, I'm a bit disappointed now. Like I said, I checked Google for a translation, and got two possible results. A literal translation came out as "Die Slowly", while a more casual translation came out as "Take It Easy". Considering that the difference in difficulty between the Japanese and English versions of the game had been brought up, I thought that the pun regarding the two translations was amazingly fitting and would have been an insanely impressive joke.
never assume that i am making a CLEVER joke
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

MoneyMan wrote:A running theme of Treasure games I've noticed is they seem to be more collections of "look at this neat thing I programmed" than actual cohesive games that build on themselves, which leads to a rollercoaster-ride like experience. It's super interesting and I've honestly never seen anything like them.
I was going to say something but this pretty much boils it down. This games feels more like a hack or a mod made by someone who was an absolute master at the base game's scripting language, but had no real sense for game flow or even really explaining the stuff they whipped up - so it's just like you're dragged from one gimmick to another with no breathing room, minimal effort spent actually introducing the gimmick, and having a bunch of bosses that drop in at seemingly random times just to show that a boss what made.

The fact that you can get a random bonus stage out of nowhere for hitting the powerup cycler dude at the right time is like the perfect illustration of that.