(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by SAJewers »

Bean wrote:
SAJewers wrote:Picked up Double Draogn IV on Steam. It's not bad, though I feel as if I would appreciate it more if I was more nostalgic for the Series.
To be fair, I only like a few of them myself. II, Super, and Neon were great. This one feels like it's basically a sequel to II from what I've seen, plus I already got a decent brawler in River City: Tokyo Rumble. Well, I might check it out eventually.
All I've played is the Original DD and DD: Neon, and I really liked Neon. It just seems like fans of the series would it enjoy it a lot more then those who haven't really touched the prior games.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

SAJewers wrote:Picked up Double Draogn IV on Steam. It's not bad, though I feel as if I would appreciate it more if I was more nostalgic for the Series.
Huh. I know a "Super Double Dragon IV" was released in a *very* unfinished state on SNES. Is that the same game, and if so, did they finish it?
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

YelseyKing wrote:
Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:I dunno that I'd go so far as to call it 'hard' even honestly - certainly harder than I'd have ever been able to manage as the dumb kid I was on my first run, but once you work out a good setup and strategy he really can't do a whole hell of a lot to threaten you. As long as you like, think, and stay at all focused on the video game in front of you he's really not all he's cracked up to be imo.
I still enjoyed myself, mind you, but I was ready for a fight thrice that length. >:p
The funniest part about Omega Weapon, which I learned from the FF Wiki last time I played FF8, is that he follows an extremely rigid script: He'll *always* use the same attacks in the same order, so you can prepare for them ahead of time once you know what that order is. Made the fight an absolute joke. :P
My favorite part is the one where after his 9998-damage attack he follows up with a percent-damage attack that can't finish you off and an attack that'll wipe your party from full health anyway if you don't block it and take 0 damage.
My second-favorite part is the one where he actually can break pattern a bit and just run up and punch your dudes and tht's somehow his most dangerous attack because everything else is so predictable and controlled. :p
Bean wrote:
Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:Omega Weapon
Glad you beat it the normally and not by using super-overpowered Selphie. She can one-shot it with a limit break called The End. It's so much more fun fighting him the natural way.
Wait that even kills Omega??? I knew it worked on pretty much everything else (and it's how I wound up beating Diablos right after getting the lamp >_>) but I figured at least freaking Omega Weapon would get a pass on that. Jeez.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:Wait that even kills Omega??? I knew it worked on pretty much everything else (and it's how I wound up beating Diablos right after getting the lamp >_>) but I figured at least freaking Omega Weapon would get a pass on that. Jeez.
It works on *everything*. That's why it only very rarely comes up (I've played the game at least five or six times, and seen The End maybe twice... though admittedly I don't use Selphie very much). That said, it doesn't outright end the final battle. It just moves it to the next phase. (I imagine it would also have the same effect on any other sequential battle. Such as if you managed to get it to come up in the fight with Biggs and Wedge atop the Comms Tower; it'd *probably* just spawn Elvoret. But I don't know for sure.)

Moists:

SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

YelseyKing wrote:
Huh. I know a "Super Double Dragon IV" was released in a *very* unfinished state on SNES. Is that the same game, and if so, did they finish it?
Doubt it:

Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Just started playing Freedom Planet, man that game has a lot of content. I'm certainly enjoying every bit I can get out of it, and I've only beaten the second stage at this point.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
metasomnia?
butts

Post by metasomnia? »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote: Wait that even kills Omega??? I knew it worked on pretty much everything else (and it's how I wound up beating Diablos right after getting the lamp >_>) but I figured at least freaking Omega Weapon would get a pass on that. Jeez.
The End is FF8's equivalent instant win button that works on everything except undead enemies, similar to certain moves from FF7, FFX and FFX-2 which involve either slots or Yojimbo. Rapture is the instant win button that fails against certain specific enemies and all bosses
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

...whee. I was playing Psychonauts. The game was running sluggishly and lagging badly, so I decided to save and restart. Except when I saved, the game froze, completely freezing my computer. So naturally, when I restarted, I found it had... deleted/corrupted my entire save/profile. Le sigh.

Moists:

Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I've still been playing Guild Wars 2 a fair bit. Recently got to fractal level 100, and I'm currently preparing to start raids on a new guild I'm on. I wonder if anyone else here plays the game? Could be fun to wander around sometime.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Playing Runbow on the Wii U with my bro. Pretty fun to see characters from other indie platformers in it, even if they all control the same.
Zha Hong Lang

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

I beat freedom planet

awwww yeaaaaaah
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

I've been playing through the Hyperdimension Neptunia series since Re;Birth 2 and 3 finally released on Gog. I'd originally played through most of the first one but ended up dropping it due to a bug that caused me to lose progress, most notably having beaten a rather tough boss that I'd lost to quite a few times in a row before finally winning. Got the normal and good endings on it though and moved on to Re;Birth 2 which is mostly a huge improvement over the first one in terms of not being as grindy and unbalanced and got the normal ending there so now I'm working on the good ending. There's a lot more fan service garbage in this one that's kinda annoying though and the CFW Trick character in particular is creepy as hell.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Jayoshi wrote:I beat freedom planet

awwww yeaaaaaah
Just in time to download the demo for the sequel!
Jongseok

Post by Jongseok »

I played FF1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,12
FF6 and FF9 are really great, super awesome!
And I played FF9 again with my friend. I love that game completely!! :lol:
My worst game is FF8. Junction is hell.
I'll play FF15 someday. Lastly, I'm now playing Chrono Cross. Impressed with soundtrack.
Araragi Marisa's Anime List: MAL List
Zha Hong Lang

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Bean wrote:

awwww yeaaaaaah
I still haven't played through as all the other characters, nor have I done time trial, so I'm gonna wait move on to the second game. I'm also not really sure about playing the sequel at this point, since I use linux and don't feel like setting up a virtual machine just to play the demo. If I haven't set up windows yet for other, more important things, I doubt I will for freedom planet. :P

Besides that, I don't really like playing WIP content for a major game like that. I feel like it'd give me a sour impression.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

Bean wrote:

awwww yeaaaaaah
i am currently playing a lot of this demo and not a lot of much else.

it's very good.
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

Antichamber was a pretty good puzzle game.
It overstayed its welcome juuuust a bit toward the end, and a couple puzzles were a bit obtuse, and it could've done without the armchair philosophy self-help drek... but I liked it.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Accidently beat Double Dragon IV, without realizing I was at the end. Not bad, but the ending was a bit of a disappointment, as I honestly didn't know I was at the end until I was kicked back to the titlescreen.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Runbow was a fun little party platformer. There are 145 levels in the main game (4 worlds with 36 levels apiece and a final boss battle), and you can play the whole thing in co-op. The idea is that the background will switch in color, and when it does, if it matches the same color of platforms you're trying to jump on, they'll disappear. It works both ways, though, as there are color-coded obstacles that disappear for a second or two when the background switches. Some of the later game levels really just want you to go solo as there aren't enough enemies to use for everyone, but my bro and I still got through the main game all the same. Took around four hours to ace every level.

I liked the roster, too, since it brings in a bunch of characters from other indie games like Juan (Guacamelee!), Gunvolt, Lilac (Freedom Planet), Shantae, and Shovel Knight. Anyway, I'd definitely recommend this one. It was an out of nowhere blast.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Finished with Psychonauts earlier. I couldn't figure out how to roll back my corrupted save files via Windows, so I just started over. Didn't take much longer.

Man, what a fantastic game. The writing is top-notch and hilarious, and the level design is very well done, and the stages themselves are extremely varied. It's also fun and amusing to go around using your various powers on the other characters in the game, just to see their reactions. That you can set telekinetically set fire to squirrels and birds (and girl scout parodies) amused me far, far more than it probably should have. :P

I technically 100%'d the game, but I did miss a couple minor things, including a couple cutscenes on the scene viewer menu that I just... don't know how to unlock/view. They might be ending scenes or something, but the game didn't ask for a clear game save or anything, so I dunno. It's a pain to get all the figments in each stage, given that they're semi-transparent (and can thus be hard to see), there are hundreds of them per stage (I managed to get down to a single one left at least four different times, going over the levels with a fine-toothed comb each time... argh), and some actually *move*, making them even harder to track down... but I did it, and with only minimal help from FAQs; in fact, I got rank 101.

The final level was a thing. It wasn't *as* bad as various places made it out to be, but there are a few particularly annoying moments that I didn't enjoy having to repeat over and over. Bleh.

And then I hear a sequel is in the works... I hope it sees a PC port, because I'm definitely interested in seeing more of this quirky cast.

Moists:

Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Does anyone have any information on the PS4/Vita version of Bunny Must Die? On Platine Dispositif's blog there are screenshots of like, a shop menu, so it seems that there is new stuff in this version, but most of their site is just 403's now for some reason. God I love Bunny Must Die.

I played Momodora III today, it's really good. I'm getting a taste back for exploration action platformers again. I've loved a lot in the past; Cave Story, BMD, La-Mulana, AUS... I know there are a lot of metroidvanias in the world, but few seem to hit that special sense of wonder that my favorite exploration games do. Even actual Metroid seems pretty boring in comparison.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

TheFinalSentinel wrote:Antichamber was a pretty good puzzle game.
It overstayed its welcome juuuust a bit toward the end, and a couple puzzles were a bit obtuse, and it could've done without the armchair philosophy self-help drek... but I liked it.
the "slogans" basically serve every purpose except for that one, actually. they succeed on all those different layers, as hints, taunts and as sheer bafflement. i love antichamber, but i feel bad that i looked up a lot of solutions when i played it...
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

Post by Truhan »

So, this game looks like it would be a pretty cool b-side for raocow. Has anyone picked it up?
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Finally went back to my Zero Mission clear file today and decided to play the unlockable NES Metroid bonus in it. I went through the whole thing in a couple of sittings today and got the second best ending, but I can't say I enjoyed it much. Like the original Final Fantasy, it's just too dated. All that leaves for me to beat in the franchise now is Prime 3 and that 3DS game no one cared about.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

I finished the true ending of Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2 finally. Overall the game was a massive improvement over the first game mechanically and was much better balanced. All the fan service garbage they stuffed into it (which says quite a bit because it's not like that was nonexistent in the first game anyways) was obnoxious though and two of the characters (Red and CFW Trick) I found extremely annoying. I found the main cast to be much better than the main cast in Re;Birth 1 though. Nepgear and the other CPU candidates are a much more interesting team than Neptune and the other CPUs. Since Re;Birth 3 stars Neptune as the protagonist again I have the feeling that Re;Birth 2 is probably going to end up being my favorite of the trilogy. Still going to play through it though.
Leet wrote:the "slogans" basically serve every purpose except for that one, actually. they succeed on all those different layers, as hints, taunts and as sheer bafflement. i love antichamber, but i feel bad that i looked up a lot of solutions when i played it...
I was really stubborn about not using a guide for Antichamber (I usually am because it really does detract from the experience for something that's specifically a puzzle, at least in my opinion) but there were still a few I just could not figure out on my own. One of which made me feel extremely stupid once I looked it up because I was managing to consistently overlook something obvious somehow, lol. I can't remember which puzzle it was off the top of my head because it was quite awhile ago but it was a fairly early one involving some bridge or something. Only major detail I can remember other than that was that the area was red. After that I got stuck trying to get the second gun/manipulator thingy then once more much closer to the end. Was quite a fun game overall.