(shouting)

Dust: An Elysian Tail - The Adventures of Sasuke and his Anime Figure Collection

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Ometeotl

Re: Dust: An Elysian Tail - The Adventures of Sasuke and his Anime Figure Collection

Post by Ometeotl »

Sebby19 wrote:Normally I wouldn't mind, but I felt raocow laughing over the big twist was inappropriate. I know he couldn't help it, but my big question is, why?
Because the twist is dumb, problem solved.
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Re: Dust: An Elysian Tail - The Adventures of Sasuke and his Anime Figure Collection

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

Stink Terios wrote:The twist is Dust is Part 8 Josuke. Oh man.
McKnackus
Nobody ex-CAWCAW

Post by McKnackus »

I made this comment on the video itself regarding the false-dialog options presented at this point in the game, but I feel like posting it here too to see what y'all think.

When I got to this point I also choose that answer, but I think there's a good reason why Dust doesn't answer as the player does.

They just explained that Dust is the combination of a relentless warrior and someone pure of heart, with a body and mind separate from the two. With all the amnesia shenanigans it became more or less clear that Dust has two minds of his own that aren't always subservient to the player. There are times where Dust makes decisions seemingly on impulse when, if the player had dialog choices, they would probably choose something different. In the story context, the decisions made on impulse can be attributed to the natural impulses of the brutal Cassius (killing Fuse) or the kind Jin (helping that one stuckup guy with his laundry). When he's asked who he is, both are at odds, wanting to identify Dust as themselves, while at the same time Dust as his own character, wants to identify as who he is in the moment instead of who he was.

As such, In the context of the story, Dust is still confused about his identity, and apparently needs more time to let it all sink in, so when the game offers these false dialog choices to the player it serves as an in-game emphasis that Dust is so conflicted that even the player's input can't be articulated by the character.

I can see why it annoys you, and it's certainly out of left field, but I thought it was pretty clever. Talking over the serious cutscene probably didn't help, but I can't blame you, it's all pretty melodramatic and easy to make fun of, plus it is an LP and Dust looks way too anime with his hat off. :p
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

I do mostly like the story of this game even if parts are a bit silly, but this part where things get explained fell a bit flat to me because it just kind of glosses over the biggest questions I had without really addressing them while instead devoting a large text dump to other things.

I still don't really understand how Cassius died. Like, it's implied that Jin somehow managed to kill him, but that doesn't really make any sense in the context of the story, so just vaguely referencing that with no explanation other than "Cassius died because he was careless" doesn't really answer anything. Cassius was allegedly one of the greatest warriors in known history capable of fighting off large groups of trained warriors, Jin was a kid with no fighting experience who was described as defenseless after the fact by someone who knew what happened the day they fought, and Cassius was used to slaughtering untrained civilians (most of whom presumably tried to fight back), so even the possibility that he would be caught off guard fighting an inexperienced amateur doesn't make sense.

And the question of what happened to Cassius has been the one thing presented as a major mystery right from the game's opening cutscene, plus it turns out to be an essential component to the twist being explained here. The game's explanations of what happened are vague enough that for a while I just assumed whatever magic the Moonbloods used to create Dust fused Jin's soul into Cassius' living body (or possible ripped Cassius' soul from his body to mix with Jin's) and that was what killed him, since that seemed to make more sense than Jin managing to kill him.

The other big question I kept waiting to have answered was what on earth the Moonbloods did to combine two souls to make Dust. I felt a bit impatient through all the dialog here because I was more interested to get to the part where they explain that than whatever they were explaining at the time, but then they just never got to it. Everyone just kind of takes for granted that the Moonbloods have some kind of magical ceremony that allows them to summon their own messiah and instead are more baffled by the idea that they can make light without fire (and this coming from a duo that literally controls electricity, has a glow-in-the-dark ring to illuminate caverns along with several glowing resonance gems, and has encountered several instances of bioluminescence over the course of the game).

I assumed the game was leaving these questions for later, but it never got around to addressing them beyond what is hinted at here.

I was also kind of taken aback by the game giving you a choice and then ignoring it. McKnackus makes a good point about it making sense for story reasons, and it doesn't particularly bother me in hindsight, but it is still a bit jarring in the moment.

I think you can get everything from past areas without the last movement upgrade, but some of them are kind of tricky without it, and getting the last upgrade also gives you a much clearer idea of where to look. There is also one place you still can't go without getting the last resonance gem from the final area, so you'd have to go back there later anyway.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Go get 'em, Super Saiyan Gohanuyasha, the Half Genie Devil May Cry. At least now, there can be no mistake that we are full-on shonen anime up in this house... not that there was any mistaking it before.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

That whole water pump section was really out of place. We're in the end game, Dust and the Moonbloods are preparing for war, and the pacing completely stops so that Dust can do some chores. It's so weird. For an early game quest it would be fine, but not at this point in the story.
Last edited by The Doctor 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

Yeah, after the plot twist, this is where I started becoming less interested in this game. Granted, this is near the end of the game, so I didn't have that much left to bear. After rehearing all that lore, I realized just how much I didn't care about it. All I needed to know was that Dust carries two souls. I believe that lore should be told throughout the game and not all at once in one giant exposition segment.

Granted what I am finding myself liking again is Fidget. She's no Tails, but she's definitely a step up from Navi.

Who has the most?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Wonder if that's because the Ocarina of Time plot was all right, and Navi was the constant interrupting character while the conversations in Dust drag on a bit, and she's the voice that jokes about it more often than not. What I'm saying is the pacing feels off in this game at times.
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

No wonder Dust wears a hat,
he looks pretty bad.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Mikkofier »

BurntTenda wrote:No wonder Dust wears a hat,
he looks pretty bad.
Yeah, he's the most deviantart-looking guy in the game.
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

I like Dust's hat because the eyes are the one part of the character design that really looks off to me for most characters who aren't Fidget (i.e. anyone who has whites in their eyes). Averting the eye problem for the two protagonists goes a long way toward improving the visual presentation of the game. Which actually kind of makes me feel bad now that I think about it given Ginger's reaction to Dust's eyes.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Congratulations on blowing all your cash in the shop but managing to completely fail to notice the shop now sells more keys, raocow. If the price of them hasn't changed you need 27,000 to get them all which you could have done if you had crafted the snow suit instead of buying it outright. You're done to something like 4,000 now though so you may not get enough cash without doing a bit of grinding to buy them all.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

should've spent even a second more looking at your rings, mr. cow.

might've seen something special.

for the record, fidget bonuses do stack so that's 2.5 * 3 = 7.5 times more powerful than base fidget.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

The shop doesn't doesn't sell more keys. They only showed up at the merchant when raocow was in sell mode.

Not all burn damage is equal. Sometimes it drains your health really quickly, but sometimes it does less damage than your regen, so it essentially doesn't hurt you. It just depends on what the source of the burning is. The lava spouts are way less punishing than the lava pits.

There isn't an actual point of no return. You can still go back and do whatever you want after this point, but it is nice of the game to give you a warning that you're coming up on the end in case you want to backtrack and finish other stuff first.

You can also get another Foul Ring of Devastation to stack 3x Fidget into 9x Fidget. Combined with other equpment,

27x Fidget

is possible.

She does over 3000 per hit at max level when combined with dust storm, and over 12,000 on a critical hit, and this is the character who repeatedly hits everything on the screen over and over.

BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

kitikami wrote: You can also get another Foul Ring of Devastation to stack 3x Fidget into 9x Fidget. Combined with other equpment,

27x Fidget

is possible.

She does over 3000 per hit at max level when combined with dust storm, and over 12,000 on a critical hit, and this is the character who repeatedly hits everything on the screen over and over.

That is a lot of

multipliers. And damage.

Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

kitikami wrote:The shop doesn't doesn't sell more keys. They only showed up at the merchant when raocow was in sell mode.
I'm fairly sure it was when he was still in buy mode. If not though then that's my mistake. I still stand by what I said about blueprints though.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Yeah I noticed the stats when he was trying the ring too.. I think you can afford to lose 20 attack for like 1700 more fidget raocow. ;)

Also anyone know who the other peeps in cages are? When I played I think the only characters I recognised were Meatboy and Bandage Girl too.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

http://elysiantail.wikia.com/wiki/The_Sanctuary
spoilers but they're all here with their origins

short ver: meat boy, braid, spelunky, fez, the soundtrack composer, some other games
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

oboy were gonna get us a primal groudon
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

raocow wrote:You're not Gappy--you're Boppo!
...And yet I do believe that our boppy buddy was wistfully waiting for a snowy souvenir kept cool in four chilly chambers of Dust's dusty heart.
Last edited by Le Neveu de Rameau 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

You should check back at the chateau where all your friends gather. I think I read on Tvtropes that something awesome happens over there when you get 2 specific ones. Maybe it was those two found in the gloomy place?

I believe a good place to get the 1000 hit combo is are the screens surrounding the isolated screen where chainsaw girl was found.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

Sebby19 wrote:You should check back at the chateau where all your friends gather. I think I read on Tvtropes that something awesome happens over there when you get 2 specific ones. Maybe it was those two found in the gloomy place?

I believe a good place to get the 1000 hit combo is are the screens surrounding the isolated screen where chainsaw girl was found.
I know which ones, and it's not those two.
Parama wrote:http://elysiantail.wikia.com/wiki/The_Sanctuary
spoilers but they're all here with their origins

short ver: meat boy, braid, spelunky, fez, the soundtrack composer, some other games
That's hilarious. According to this wiki, raocow managed to get one of the friends the difficult way, whilst making it look easy beyond all belief.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

I hope the fidget doll gets made next episode, that quest is just silly and cute. Also hmm, perhaps there were some more friends I recognise on that list other than from Super Meat Boy, hooray for bad memory.
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Mikkofier »

Sebby19 wrote:You should check back at the chateau where all your friends gather. I think I read on Tvtropes that something awesome happens over there when you get 2 specific ones. Maybe it was those two found in the gloomy place?
It's

the two musical ducks.

Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Here are those materials you asked for, Fale.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage