(shouting)

VLDC9 - vanilla level design contest 9

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Duothimir
oh okay
First name: Aaron
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: VLDC9 - vital lucent digs chilling 9

Post by Duothimir »

Anyone else feel like Icicle Cavern was kind of a short stage, or is it just me? I was thinking, 'man, this is kind of a neat stage, I like the effect going on, oh it's over'.
but why
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Re: VLDC9 - verified lucidity defensive coldness 9

Post by FrozenQuills »

I think Icicle Cavern could've been better if it didn't feel like everything was piled into one level/room. There were some issues of spikes appearing out of nowhere with no warning despite the message box at the beginning. It's a weird level.

Ice Palace is a kinda cool level, though I strangely enjoyed the outdoor section more than the actual palace. At least the palace has some sorta interesting nonlinearity.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
zagesaw

Post by zagesaw »

I would have enjoyed Ice Palace if it had...well you know a midpoint. Because it didn't have a midpoint and I actually died around the vine segment, the level left a sour taste in my mouth. Please put midpoints in your levels kids. Why make a long level and not include a midpoint?
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Stink Terios wrote:Ice Palace is the best level because the sound effects get all glitchy.
In terms of glitchy sound effects, I'm afraid nothing will ever top that one level raocow played several years ago with the "I was a wspa spy all along" Magikoopa (or whatever it was).
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

zagesaw wrote:I would have enjoyed Ice Palace if it had...well you know a midpoint. Because it didn't have a midpoint and I actually died around the vine segment, the level left a sour taste in my mouth. Please put midpoints in your levels kids. Why make a long level and not include a midpoint?
I theorize it's because he smells.

Like not strongly but just strong enough that it negatively impacts your perception of him without quite understanding why.
Koopster
judge of u

Post by Koopster »

During my judging I never paid attention to how absolutely generic VLDC9 level names are in general lol

79th: ICICLE CAVERN by waffledoctor27
Nimono
DESIGN: 16/30
CREATIVITY: 12/20
AESTHETICS: 8/10
TOTAL: 36/60
Liked how you used the falling spikes as icicles, though I really wish the level utilized them more and in better ways than just obstacles. Also wish the level was longer.

ninja boy
DESIGN: 16/30
CREATIVITY: 14/20
AESTHETICS: 6/10
TOTAL: 36/60
Something about this level just feels off like it's unfinished and just kind of submitted as is. The use of the block snake was really nice and had a nice run up to it but the more you go into the level the more empty it seemed and more lackluster it got.

Eternity
DESIGN: 15/30
CREATIVITY: 10/20
AESTHETICS: 7/10
TOTAL: 32/60
The start of the level seemed to be interesting, as race-type levels are rare nowadays, but the level seems to lose focus over time. There's a short race segment, then you go through the upper part of the level (which doesn't have a lot other than easily avoidable falling spikes) and a really short segment with nothing special.

Koopster
DESIGN: 12/30
CREATIVITY: 7/20
AESTHETICS: 5/10
TOTAL: 24/60
Why can't I read the messages :( So, this looked like it could be going somewhere with a snake eater gimmick, but then it just becomes the definition of a "this happened" level. A lot of random, uninteresting sections come after the run and then the level just ends... which is pretty unfortunate. Also, the water section with the glass blocks looks bad if you hit them.

63rd: ICE PALACE by PuzzelBreaker
Nimono
DESIGN: 18/30
CREATIVITY: 9/20
TOTAL: 33/60
A very ICE level. The first half was pretty interesting with the slippery jumps over pits, but then after that it got a little...uninspired. Was surprised at the lack of a midpoint in the Palace itself. Overall, it needed a little more focus than just "Ice!".

ninja boy
DESIGN: 12/30
CREATIVITY: 8/20
AESTHETICS: 4/10
Level was fun to play and had just the right balance with normal and difficult mechanics but fell short on the aesthetics

Eternity
DESIGN: 19/30
CREATIVITY: 14/20
TOTAL: 39/60
Fairly good level, but the ice palace section was surprisingly short. Some setions are a bit too cramped, but otherwise it's definitely not bad, and some obstacles are fairly well designed, specially on the outside part.

OTHER: I know it just leads to a Dragon Coin, but that part where you have to get a throw block by spinjumping on a Thwomp is surprisingly easy to mess up (killing the Thwomp with it).

Koopster
DESIGN: 25/30
CREATIVITY: 16/20
AESTHETICS: 8/10
TOTAL: 49/60
This has very good, cohesive, enjoyable design. The lack of a midpoint is noticeable, but you managed to balance the difficulty and length of this level well enough that I didn't really miss it. I actually think beating this in one go is a good challenge! I feel the end is a little anticlimatic though. I was getting deeper inside the castle and then boop, I'm suddenly out :o It could've been longer in that sense, but design wise, it's just dandy this way.

Huh, looks like I didn't mind the lack of midpoint it seems. Cause it definitely is a problem. I still like that level though!
waffledoctor's levels are just always kinda weird and all over the place lol. His MaGL3 entry was no different. Also his messages were invisible in the original submission ROM

And for tomorrow, mountiain world!! Probably my favorite world, but not because there's any great levels in there or anything. I just find it very relaxing and it's probably the best world in terms of "progression' and "feeling like a real game" - it has a very climatic ending. Maybe it's just me, though.
There's just one level that's gonna be a "thing" in there, but I really like it...
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

I think the lack of a midpoint makes players more cautious in the castle part because the punishment of death is so high. And, it's quite hard to die in the castle part (in my opinion). If there was a midpoint, raocow would have frolicked more in the castle and died a few times probably. Also, the satisfaction of beating the long level is pretty nice.
Mosts Awards:
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Icicle Cavern is a nice level, though I also wish it was a little more creative in terms of its obstacles. The falling icicles were neat, but I wish there was a puzzle element to them, too. Also, that snake race was completely optional, which is just silly design.

Ice Palace is a nice gauntlet, though a midpoint and a boss would have completed the package for me. The difficulty is pretty nice here, though. And yes, it could have been more than just ice, but that transition was cool.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Huh, I kinda liked this glitch version of the P-Switch song. Kinda sounds like a siren.
Hehe, the Thwomps were squeaky.
And it looks like the castle pooped out Mario. Sorry.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

The first half of that first level had a couple ideas, but it was really inconsistent with marking the placements of the spikes and the block snake was easily breakable, which meant that everything fell a little flat. Then the second half had no major ideas at all, really. I will say that I liked the look of the level though.

The second level was a decent level. I think the lack of a midpoint will make the fun in the level swing a lot from player to player. I feel like players who die in the second half will enjoy the level a lot less due to the lack of midpoint, and the players who don't die will end up enjoying it slightly more.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Fun easter egg: the cable car stations are levels that you can actually enter, but only once the cable car lands (ie after you reach the other side).
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ryrir »

I don't like this level at all. Visually it's amazing of course, but I'm really bummed out about the level design. It seems to be centered around waiting around (for the pufferfish to sink to the bottom, for the various platforms to line up correctly etc) but then you have these hard platforming bits in between as well. Neither of these design decisions would be bad on their own, but if you combine them like that you basically force to player to spend a lot of time replaying the same old waiting parts over and over again until you basically hate the level with a fiery passion. At least that was the case when I played it...

It's really too bad because there was some legitimately cool stuff there as well
this is getting laundromatic
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

S.N.N. wrote:Fun easter egg: the cable car stations are levels that you can actually enter, but only once the cable car lands (ie after you reach the other side).
now I wanna see this.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
nathanisbored

Post by nathanisbored »

Purple triangles require a minimum speed. Here's a quick infographic thing:

Startup acceleration and charged acceleration can both take place in the air. P-charge can only take place on the ground.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Re: VLDC9 - vociferous loveliness dusty commons 9

Post by FrozenQuills »

This level was a thing for me too, and I was one of the testers lol. It's really creative and cool but also really difficult.

The biggest downfall is the second half, which really spikes up in difficulty with the wall running. The p-balloon section at the very end can also be misleading because there is a blind gap that needs to be crossed after the last shaft.

The secret exit was nice though, and I made quite a few suggestions to make that section better which Frost took into account.

And yeah, in case anyone was wondering, this is made by the same guy who made both Hostels in VLDC8 and VLDC7.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Most of those porcupidgits need to go, the only thing they do is make you stand around a bit
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

I imagine most haunted house films would lose a significant amount of their tension if the protagonists were to react to the spoooooky goings-on taking place around them by shouting "Fart! FAAAAAART!" over and over again.
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

S.N.N. wrote:
Stink Terios wrote:Ice Palace is the best level because the sound effects get all glitchy.
In terms of glitchy sound effects, I'm afraid nothing will ever top that one level raocow played several years ago with the "I was a wspa spy all along" Magikoopa (or whatever it was).
TECH SUPPORT VS WWSPA

God, vanilla levels used to be so great, what happened?
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

That oddity with running up walls and being drug around by the platforms is something I haven't seen before. What a strange quirk.
S.N.N. wrote:Fun easter egg: the cable car stations are levels that you can actually enter, but only once the cable car lands (ie after you reach the other side).
The cable cars remind me of the ones in Donkey Kong Country 3. They even function the same way with making you wait for the car.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Funnily enough, a lot of complaints about Frost's level were in regards to the secret exit versus the main path, but I had a similar experience to Nimono and raocow. The secret path is fine because it's super generous with powerups, but the main path has some quirks with the triangles near the end that really, really bother me. It's a great level, and there's some clear thought and direction there, but a couple of the set-ups were a bit too ridiculous.
10204307 wrote:TECH SUPPORT VS WWSPA
Ah, that brings me back.
Koopster
judge of u

Post by Koopster »

So you're going to do resort world instead? It's kind of a contrast with the mountain in how memorable the levels down there are.

24th: HOTEL by Frost
Nimono
DESIGN: 6/30
CREATIVITY: 12/20
Hostel 3: Revenge of the Hostel! Unfortunately, the level does not play very well. For starters, the Hostel basement section is too difficult and unforgiving in the last segment, and while the upper section starts off fairly normal with some nice usage of wall triangles and spin jumping on birds, eventually it becomes quite ridiculous, especially with the constant Porcu-Puffer usage and how wonky they act with SMW's camera. Overall, it's a great idea marred by ridiculous enemy usage.

ninja boy
DESIGN: 17/30
CREATIVITY: 15/20
AESTHETICS: 10/10
TOTAL: 42/60
This was a really fun level and look extremely nice but I will admit it took me a little bit to figure out how to get the secret exit since if you're big you can't fit into the small gap and it's not fully clear that's what you need to do, also with the message I got the midway point then backtracked all the way and ran into the same thing since I was big but I figured it out in the end.

Eternity
DESIGN: 27/30
CREATIVITY: 18/20
AESTHETICS: 9/10
TOTAL: 54/60
A lot of unique gimmicks here, and all of them work really well with the level. This might
be one of the best uses of those triangle blocks I have seen (other than a few slightly awkward setups), and the Porcu-Puffer reskins make for surprisingly interesting obstacles. Aesthetically the level's also nice, it doesn't do anything special but it works pretty well, other than the sprite graphic changes which add to the level's uniqueness. Neat work.

OTHER: That's still a lot more normal than I expected

Koopster
DESIGN: 28/30
CREATIVITY: 19/20
AESTHETICS: 10/10
TOTAL: 57/60
Boy, and to think Hostel in VLDC7 was so infamous. This combines great athmosphere (both the normal and haunted areas) and excellent ideas and vanilla exploits with amazing execution. It just gets a little too demanding nearing the end!

Perhaps a bit too praised from my side. This is my second highest score in the contest (higher than lolyoshi!)
This level suffered from a loopsided midpoint. I think the setups are amazingly well constructed, but in the end it's just a bit too much to take in one go. Since I'm patient with that stuff I didn't mind that too much... until the final balloon segment. I'm so glad you didn't die there, that part did not have to exist.
Also surprised that it took you a while to catch that this is a Hostel variant

So yeah, time for Resort I guess? lol
Divemissile

Post by Divemissile »

i really liked those sprite edits! they were cool though i wonder how they were done in vanilla, though. the level design was good but the triangle running sections suffered from being extremely finicky, which is a shame
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Post by snoruntpyro »

I personally like this level a lot but I do agree with Koopster in that the midpoint was way too lopsided. Plus I think the secret path takes too long setting up the atomsphere with really empty and long rooms. It's really easy to just outrun the swooper death bat ceiling as well. Also if anyone remembers my dumb advent Christmas level, I played this level like the day before I made it so that's why the second half is filled with wall triangles ;p
Last edited by snoruntpyro 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
zagesaw

Post by zagesaw »

I was stuck on that same triangle section for a really long time so I didn't have that good of a time playing it. I feel it would have been better if the midpoint was moved a bit farther into the level so you wouldn't have to repeat so much to get back to the wall running section again. Visually it is an amazing level and had some cool gimmicks but the one wall running section just made the level really frustrating to play.

The secret exit on the other hand was hilarious. It was also short enough so the nice room didn't feel frustrating at all.