(shouting)

Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Ep79c FINAL - Won 1F8

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
cozyduck

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Ep72c - Depraved Deaths

Post by cozyduck »

ft029 wrote:Well Jolpe... looks like one person likes your works LUL

Playing through Bits and Pieces (by levelengine of course) may have helped. All of those levels are like 400 SMW seconds of sprite spam and other RNG obstacles, which is different from Depraved Stronghold's simple but deadly jumps. However, it's still basically endurance. I haven't completed that hack yet (currently at the postgame), as it's been breaking me mentally.

I think another bit of Depraved Stronghold is being able to calculate out your actions with care.
I have yet to play Bits and Pieces (as a matter of fact, I can't find a download link. Doesn't seem to be on smwcentral anymore. Could you maybe help?) but levelengine's older hack Way of the M has plenty of that too, especially generators. It can be frustrating but it's good practice in the sense that you can't just learn all obstacles by heart but are actually forced to figure out strategies on the fly. I think playing hacks like that does help in getting better at dealing with unknown obstacles.

Anyways, with raocows newfound appreciation of levelengines work since Magl3, I really hope he doesn't go back and play Way of the M, he'd despise it.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Ep72d - Depraved Desperation

Post by Sugar »

Well, congratulations.

I don't consider practicing obstacles with savestates to be cheating myself. In sounds like a reasonable thing to do.

That was... a convoluted way of getting past the Thwomp obstacle, when you could just avoid the wall (as hitting the wall causes you to lose speed). I probably would try to go under Thwomp (when it rises up) to make it easier to avoid a wall.

There is a second part, but it should be easier.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Ep72d - Depraved Desperation

Post by ft029 »

imo the second part is harder, but more fun.
Mosts Awards:
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

I'll put myself with Nathan on this one. No part of AnonymousBl00dlust's level took me that long, but the first half of the Depraved Stronghold took me ages. And I think that it's also a lack of focus here too. When a level is this long, I tend to master the opening bits quickly and start to get bored of playing them again. At that point, I start to go on autopilot and my mind wanders until I get back to where I was. This causes me to play poorly on the parts I know how to do, and when I get back to the parts that are difficult I'm mentally unprepared to figure out anything new and unfamiliar.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

Same-ish here, although I think the second half is more difficult. The first half took me 30 minutes. This might be because I watched iso's video about the podoboo jump. The second half took me about 2 hours though. The magikoopa room, even though it's RNG-based, does require some learning on "what's the easiest method to get me through this while keeping my hits".

1F8

took me 35 minutes on my first savestateless playthrough. I already knew how to do all the obstacles from doing it with savestates and slowdown (yeah, shame on me from the past), but still.
Mosts Awards:
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

For the record, Depraved took me a bit over an hour total, maybe 1.5, whereas anon's level took me like 4 hours. So I guess I really don't fall in line with the majority. Gotta play more kaizo I guess.
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused
First name: Tom

Post by QubicTom »

GlitchMr wrote:There is a second part, but it should be easier.
ft029 wrote:Same-ish here, although I think the second half is more difficult.
ft029 wrote:imo the second part is harder, but more fun.
I agree with all of these opinions! The first room in the second half is draining lives, it does feel more difficult, but the time between deaths is so much shorter. This half is definitely more fun, or at least easier to endure!
Lockirby2 wrote:When a level is this long, I tend to master the opening bits quickly and start to get bored of playing them again. At that point, I start to go on autopilot and my mind wanders until I get back to where I was. This causes me to play poorly on the parts I know how to do, and when I get back to the parts that are difficult I'm mentally unprepared to figure out anything new and unfamiliar.
When this happens to me I start streaming! Wakes me right up again :D

Second half attempts! Didn't have as much recording time as I would of liked this week. Blame my housemate!
Ep72e - Savage Stronghold

I miss recording A2MT, it served as a nice break between JUMP episodes, but I'm waiting for the final update. Should I start the Rayman LP, or just continue with A2MT if I need a rest from the Stronghold?

Also, everyone is welcome to start making suggestions for what to play after this. A2MT will be the next full time SMW project. Rayman the next PS1 project. No plans after that, though. Some people have suggested the various Zelda games, since they would all be 100% blind for me. And Jolpe is insisting on La Mulana for some reason? Send me your suggestions, and when the time comes we'll hold a vote!
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ryrir »

QubicTom wrote:Also, everyone is welcome to start making suggestions for what to play after this.
May I suggest the best SMW romhack ever created: Super Challenge World !?!

Critics love Super Challenge World:
there's no way to describe how irritating and frustrating this hack is
this hack doesn't rely on glitches only, the design itself is also awful
1/5. One of the worst hacks I ever played
The fun times are guaranteed!

(Actually, it's not that bad. I mean, it's obviously not good, but you develop a sort of morbid curiosity what the creator will throw at you next. Could be fun for a one-off or something?)

On a more serious note, you should really play the original ASMT sometime. While it's true that some of the levels (especially the puzzle levels) haven't aged well, the majority of the hack is very fun and creative in my opinion, even by today's standarts. Thanks to the 1.2 patch, you can even skip cutscenes and play on snes9x!

And, if everything else fails, there's always good ol' VIP
this is getting laundromatic
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Ryrir wrote:On a more serious note, you should really play the original ASMT sometime. While it's true that some of the levels (especially the puzzle levels) haven't aged well, the majority of the hack is very fun and creative in my opinion, even by today's standarts. Thanks to the 1.2 patch, you can even skip cutscenes and play on snes9x
To clarify, the patch in question fixes World 3 boss, so that the game can be played on Snes9x 1.51 (the same is the case for A2MT). It doesn't mean any later version can be used, as they have more accurate SPC700 emulation, which actually uses RAM depending on requested echo.

That said, I think I'm probably fine with ASMT. It's quite fun, even when I replayed it, even if some later levels are fairly crazy.

I would love to see VIP 4, but I would wait for Horikawa to make a translation of it.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Ep72e - Savage Stronghold

Post by raocow »

ASMT
ASMT!
ASMT!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Ep72e - Savage Stronghold

Post by Tobi555 »

Definitely ASMT I think it would be cool to see both ASMT and A2MT side by side from you :) Sorry for the waiting Tom we're working out finishing music insertion and the person I have that wants to do it has been busy recently. I promise I'll release it once the music is inserted and everything works fine. :oops:
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Tobi555 wrote:Definitely ASMT I think it would be cool to see both ASMT and A2MT side by side from you :) Sorry for the waiting Tom we're working out finishing music insertion and the person I have that wants to do it has been busy recently. I promise I'll release it once the music is inserted and everything works fine. :oops:
Just to clarify, I should have lots of time tomorrow, so it may as well be soon :). I finished a test (which I think I did 100%, but then I will realize I didn't because of something minor, that's how things go), and I have a Christmas break and all that, so...
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

GlitchMr wrote:
Tobi555 wrote:Definitely ASMT I think it would be cool to see both ASMT and A2MT side by side from you :) Sorry for the waiting Tom we're working out finishing music insertion and the person I have that wants to do it has been busy recently. I promise I'll release it once the music is inserted and everything works fine. :oops:
Just to clarify, I should have lots of time tomorrow, so it may as well be soon :). I finished a test, and I have a Christmas break and all that, so...
Sweet! Thanks GlitchMr I'm sorry btw for all the PM's ive sent you XD I'll send you a PM of 1.8 to experiment with insertion of the songs, whenever your ready. :)
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Post by QubicTom »

Don't worry about it :D I think I'll start playing ASMT if I can't beat Depraved Stronghold soon, just to have something to upload on the days with no JUMP progress.
GlitchMr wrote: To clarify, the patch in question fixes World 3 boss, so that the game can be played on Snes9x 1.51 (the same is the case for A2MT). It doesn't mean any later version can be used, as they have more accurate SPC700 emulation, which actually uses RAM depending on requested echo.
That's interesting to know! I currently use Snes9x v1.53, but I'll use v1.51 for ASMT and A2MT in future if the compatibility is better!

Yet again, here's another five or six hours of attempts condensed into a video!
Ep72f - Depraved Derangement

I'm at the family home for Christmas, so video uploads might be sparse until the new year, but I'll keep trying at this level. Once Depraved Stronghold is done, I'll be focusing on world 7 only until Bowser's Castle is done. If A2MT isn't ready soon I will try out ASMT, due to popular demand :D

Have a great Christmas everyone!
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

QubicTom wrote:Have a great Christmas everyone!
Thanks Tom you to, the music should be in the process of being worked on now :) So it's a matter of time before A2MT releases.
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

QubicTom wrote:I'm at the family home for Christmas, so video uploads might be sparse until the new year, but I'll keep trying at this level!
The good news is that if you can't beat this level quickly, you probably don't need to upload that many videos (although you can't stream). And if you do beat the level quickly, you'll probably be glad enough that you won't care anymore. From the right perspective, that's a win-win. ;)
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Post by QubicTom »

The Depraved Stronghold, by Jolpengammler. Finished :)
Ep72g - Depraved Determination
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Ep72g - Depraved Determination

Post by raocow »

finaly!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Grounder

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Ep72g - Depraved Determination

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

You asked to vote for simplest level, so Scaffolding Scuffle, here we go.

also congratulations

... also, Jolpengammler is not done yet, he still has a level for you to do.

New point where you give up: Special-6 if you do all rooms (one of those is actually fairly insane) or nowhere at all. Wow.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

GlitchMr wrote:congratulations
Let the truly amazing comments section of that video be my words to you, QubicTom.

Also, Scaffolding Shuffle.
Mosts Awards:
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Ep73 - Scaffolding Scurry

Post by QubicTom »

Thank you for all the kind words!

I still have enough mobile data to upload one or two more videos, so here we go! It's nice to make progress again.
Ep73 - Scaffolding Scurry

Are people serious about me playing ASMT at the same time as A2MT? I think it might be very confusing to viewers not familiar with each series (there are a few who are seeing JUMP and A2MT for their first time). Or do people want ASMT instead of A2MT? I don't think that would work either, honestly :lol:
nathanisbored

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Ep73 - Scaffolding Scurry

Post by nathanisbored »

just wanted to say good luck, we're all counting on you.

scaffolding scuffle music (my favorite in the hack): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRTLF__1IpU
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

I vote VIP or ASMT
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Scaffolding Scuffle - Super Bonk - Twilight Space (last level theme)

Voting for IMPETUOUS ATHLETIC because it's harder than Ludwig's Grindhouse.

(yes, this vote is a reference to nathan's vote, but hey, this level was harder on both my list and ft029's list of most difficult levels in the game, but you have to be warned there are no easy levels now, both of those choices are on the list)