(shouting)

MaGL 3 results: moral of the story: laziness always prevails

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: MaGL 3 results: get counting someguy712x

Post by raocow »

wow

after seeing you around the community for years, now is the first time I've been constantly misreading your name, forever

I feel so so bad
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Cloaytonem2

Re: MaGL 3 results: get counting someguy712x

Post by Cloaytonem2 »

My username isn't coherent at all, so I don't blame people for getting it wrong. It's just syllables.
nathanisbored

Re: MaGL 3 results: top five hype

Post by nathanisbored »

this is one of those levels that makes you want to root for it because of the flavor and sheer amount of effort put in, but in reality it really didn't 'do much' (played it safe), which is maybe a good thing cuz it definitely secured a high rank. also these sorts of asm gimmicky levels are easy to get infatuated with if you've never seen the gimmick before, but you also got to keep in mind that sometimes the author didn't make the code and they just downloaded it from smwc (which was the case for some other levels in the contest). bottom line is not to get caught up on the gimmickiness or perceived effort put in just because it feels unique.

that all being said, it looks like everything in this level actually was original and coded from scratch, which is pretty amazing. the level is "well-designed" from a professional standpoint too, and never goes overboard with anything. I really like it and I'm excited for the top 5.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

JUDGES' COMMENTS AND SCORES FOR 6th PLACE:

6th: Cloaytonem2
-FROZENQUILLS-
FUN: 20/30
DIFFICULTY: 5/5
CREATIVITY: 9/10
AESTHETICS: 9/10 (4/5 GFX + 5/5 MUS)
FUNCTIONALITY: 5/5

TOTAL: 48/60

COMMENTS:
What a neat and fun level.

The aesthetics are really nice and fitting and I enjoyed
the whole pencil sketching gimmick. I was a bit worried at first
thinking that all the pencil is going to do is draw enemies in
ways that wouldn't really be any different from just placing
them in lunar magic but you expanded it into a "battle room" and
as some interesting obstacles (exploding bombs, the boss at the
end, etc.) The whole idea of not knowing what's suddenly going
to come out of the pencil was pretty fun anyway though.

However, even if it did get more creative later on, I still
felt like it could have been even cooler, like drawing platforms
or placing obstacles at more unexpected times.

Still, what you have is nice and fun already, so great job. I
can tell there was a lot of work put into this.

Adorable ending by the way!

TLDR:
+ Great "create"-ive gimmick
+ Very well designed and fun
- Could have been even more interesting and have cooler setups

OTHER:
BOWSER! u gotta DRAWWW SOMETHING!!!

-PYRO-
Fun: 18/30
Difficulty: 3/5
Creativity: 7/10
Aesthetics: 8/10
Functionality: 5/5
Total: 41/60
Comment: I LOOOOVE this level!! <3 <3 <3 The gimmick was like the best thing ever. I wish more was done with it though, it was kinda just used as a way to delay enemy spawns, but it was still super endearing. The boss was cool once I figured it out, and OMG that ending was the beeeeeeesst. It's a reeeaally reeally good level and I <3 it so hard~~

-KOOPSTER-
FUN: 27/30
AESTHETICS: 10/10

TOTAL SCORE: 56/60

I clapped irl. To nitpick the level is a bit on the simplistic side and the gimmick could've been expanded on a bit more and also the final boss has too many hits for having one single pattern but duuuude, is this fantastic. I think my favorite part is the pre-midpoint boss cause I love the Dumb Drum from DKC and that's pretty much what it was!!

-S.N.N.-
FUN: 27/30
AESTHETICS: 9/10

TOTAL: 55/60

COMMENTS: This level is incredible for various reasons. The aesthetic is an obvious selling point, but the fact that you incorporated such a versatile gimmick (the pencil) and carried it on throughout the level in a bunch of fairly unique ways is awesome. The level was designed
around this, and I feel like the creativity really showed. Cute boss (albeit I think 4-5 hits would have been enough), and the ending scene is great. Although there are a couple of entries in this contest that are better designed from a pure gameplay standpoint, this is definitely a top ranker for me.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

It is true that this level could have done a bit more with the pencil, but when I played this, it was super fun (++fun points), and I've replayed this at least two times now (also ++fun points). Man, this should have definitely ranked higher. The thinking desk seriously impressed me.
Mosts Awards:
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

The level today was just so charming... I love the paper aesthetic, and I really love the ending. The boss and the gameplay were nice, too, with the latter being pretty varied. The pencil creation is a really neat touch.

...Did Bowser also throw away those wavy ninjis?
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Divemissile

Post by Divemissile »

today's level was impressive. i've seen drawn on paper levels before but this was so technically impressive that i just had to love it. the pencils were super well animated and the ending was hilarious. the boss was kinda eh but the overall level design was solid.
nothobz
of the jungle
First name: george

Post by nothobz »

Developer's Commentary:
i thought my level was pretty bad, but here we are.

I'd like to thank the judges for helping me fulfill my destiny of beating idol, and idol for telling me about this contest and, I mean, I'd say she encouraged me to enter, but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't have happened. She did provide a competitive edge and a layer 3 bg, so thank u idol for all that. better luck next time. I'd also like to thank lolyoshi for repeatedly being in disbelief my level was doing as well as it was.
Thank u raocow for enjoying my level. :D
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

nothobz wrote: I'd like to thank the judges for helping me fulfill my destiny of beating idol, and idol for telling me about this contest and, I mean, I'd say she encouraged me to enter, but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't have happened. She did provide a competitive edge and a layer 3 bg, so thank u idol for all that. better luck next time. I'd also like to thank lolyoshi for repeatedly being in disbelief my level was doing as well as it was.
Thank u raocow for enjoying my level. :D
I guess we judges just like coin puzzle levels since we all gave it like a 53 lol.
Though, I haven't really seen anything like this before, which is why I gave it a high score.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

It's kind of funny that the one level raocow tries to be more careful and watch his surroundings on happens to be the level where going slowly makes it more difficult.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

There is a lot of maths in this top 10, what on earth
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Post by snoruntpyro »

Fun fact! My score for this level was originally like a 42 or something. HOWEVER once SNN sent the results to the judges and we saw THREE 53s GIVEN INDEPENDENTLY OF EACH OTHER I was like "I have to change my score omg" and then I realized changing my score actually wouldn't have affected hobz's placement at all. So I did. Lol
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol
Pronouns: she/her

Post by idol »

hobz, humble as could ever be
Money

Post by Money »

Im gonna be that one dick who goes "this doesnt really deserve to be this highly placed". Like, it's a good level and is well designed, but it feels like i've seen this type of level before. Top quarter, yeah, that's fair, but 5th place?
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Jeez Louise, raocow, you're terrible at budgeting.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

MoneyMan wrote: it feels like i've seen this type of level before.
Reminded me of this
land of capitalism
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

MoneyMan wrote:Like, it's a good level and is well designed, but it feels like i've seen this type of level before.
Wasn't there at least one level using a similar "budget your jumps because they cost you coins" gimmick in those short gimmick-challenge hacks raocow played a few years back? Hack 2 maybe? That's ringing a faint bell for me.

EDIT: Yeah, this one.
nathanisbored

Post by nathanisbored »

This was probably the best implementation of this gimmick I've seen before (minus the softlock). There's probably like a dozen different ways to play the level, depending on which paths you take and which coins you go for, and how carefully you play. I love how you can play through the level once, only to realize you didn't get enough coins, but then reset yourself and try again with your new familiarity with the layout without having to die or anything. And I like that going negative doesn't kill you. Also the Dragon Coins add an extra challenge to the level which is neat. I wonder how easy it is to get all DCs and finish the level within the same run (assuming it's possible). Start select or some kind of 'retry whenever' system would have been nice but otherwise I like it.
Money

Post by Money »

Yeah that is one thing i really liked about this level, that it was forgiving. In these sorts of puzzle levels, it's very easy to want to design it around there only being one correct path, forcing the player to do it perfectly. It's refreshing to see a puzzle level that doesnt do that but still works as a puzzle level.
nathanisbored

Post by nathanisbored »

MoneyMan wrote:Yeah that is one thing i really liked about this level, that it was forgiving. In these sorts of puzzle levels, it's very easy to want to design it around there only being one correct path, forcing the player to do it perfectly. It's refreshing to see a puzzle level that doesnt do that but still works as a puzzle level.
well the neat thing is, you don't even need to play it like a puzzle level like raocow did. i did a run just now where I basically just took a straightforward path through the level and managed to finish with 55 just by dodging enough reds and collecting enough bunches of yellows
RegiGiygas
listening to oingo boingo
First name: uriah
Pronouns: he/him

Post by RegiGiygas »

today's video had the best video title.
can't forget this guy
Waaa.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

THIS is a non-linear level done right. There are billions of ways to do this level, and they're all fun and nice. It gives you a bunch of resources to play around with, like shells, goombas, P-switches, powerups, etc., and each combination of those resources results in something different. Brilliantly designed level, although it could have been a bit better toward the end. I feel like the end should have shown something new to the level with some sort of extension rather than being more of the same.

I've seen so many horrible nonlinear levels where it's just two linear paths that are both very generic and makes the player feel like they're missing out on something, and then the player checks each boring path and has no fun at all.

You can actually create a coin-block factory by block duping and stuff and stuff. Also, if you get 100 coins, you can't jump anymore.
Mosts Awards:
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

Le Neveu de Rameau wrote:Jeez Louise, raocow, you're terrible at budgeting.
Yeah the video was full of weird budgeting decisions like trying to "stay in the red".
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Voltgloss wrote:
MoneyMan wrote:Like, it's a good level and is well designed, but it feels like i've seen this type of level before.
Wasn't there at least one level using a similar "budget your jumps because they cost you coins" gimmick in those short gimmick-challenge hacks raocow played a few years back? Hack 2 maybe? That's ringing a faint bell for me.

EDIT: Yeah, this one.
Man, watching that you can clearly see it's the same core gimmick of "one jump costs one coin", but the implementation is so fundamentally different with anticoins, a target of 50, a level packed full of stuff and dozens of ways to approach it that today's level has more in common with the moon level than that one.