(shouting)

MaGL 3 results: moral of the story: laziness always prevails

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: MaGL 3 results: actually it's vvvvvv now

Post by Grounder »

Voltgloss wrote:Needed this music.

you are wrong
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

the dream is dead, rip in rip

cool level though. of course raocow chooses literally the worst path without thinking and then gets slapped with a game over for it
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
nathanisbored

Post by nathanisbored »

I like how how well you do on one attempt of the level affects another attempt. In theory you could farm by just grabbing a moon and then jumping in a pit and repeat, but still, it's a cool idea. I also like that death by orange moons is more punishing because it causes a game over rather than just a death, so you actually lose progress, which incentives you to play very carefully rather than just tank through stuff and get lucky or whatever.

As for the angry moon, the thing that makes it kinda awkward in SMW hacks is that in SMB3 Mario is always centered directly in the middle of the camera, but in SMW he's offset a little so that more of the camera is ahead of you than behind, so you can see further ahead. It doesn't seem like whoever designed that sprite accounted for that (and idk how you would).
ft029
m/m wannabe

Re: MaGL 3 results: get counting someguy712x

Post by ft029 »

My first try at this level took about 20 tries on the Angry Moon segment. But as I replay it, I can get it first try. You have to learn how the Angry Sun works. No matter where you are, it always does that type of swoop, and you're always better off on high ground when it's swooping. Also, it took me a while to learn about spinjumping on the angry sun.

I also chose the wrong path lol. Interesting how one of the paths is more favorable if you are small rather than big. I used to be confused as to why there were so many choices, but now I see how brilliantly this level was designed. Well done, guy guy guy.
Mosts Awards:
a guy

I wanted to get 5th place :cry:

Post by a guy »

That's a level. Mine to be more precise.
Creator commentary :
I had no idea for a level for MAGL3, and then I just though "lunar magic". Let's make a level about lunar magic. So... the icon of LM is a 3up moon... let's make a level with loads of them. And so this.
There's both 3up moons and -3ups moons. And you die if you don't have lives (obviously it's like saying you die if you get killed).

Both moons respawn when you die. I would have wanted to make them both disappears once you collect them (or only the yellow one idk) but I did not know how to do that.
I used direct map16 moons that always appears because it was the easiest way to do (the level is kinda rushed).
I couldn't use extended object moon because actually in SMW there is for each level a flag to see if a moon is collected. If you collect at least one moon, once you exit the sublevel, every moons in the level will not spawn at all until you Game Over or reset the game. So if you died or went to the next sublevel there would be no moons.

I used angry moon because it's the opposite of angry sun so it's funny. Nothing else.
Last room you're supposed to count in your head or be really careful. Yeah for the final choice you're forced to at least lose 3 or 6 lives. But you can jump without passing though the cloud of the 4th choice to get 3 lives before that.
Choice 1 is the worst. More yellow moon but all placed after the 9 orange ones that makes you lose 27 lives. And raocow fell for that. :lol:

Music choice is just that I found the music nice so I used it lol. I could have used the Duck Tales moon theme but that's too obvious.

There is a little secret at the end if you go back in the level where the black moon was.

rao: About multiple midpoints, sure they were hard to make years ago, but today there's some really useful patch and using multiple midpoints is very easy.
Parama wrote:i will be severely disappointed if "a guy" does not win
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
nathanisbored wrote:In theory you could farm by just grabbing a moon and then jumping in a pit and repeat, but still, it's a cool idea.
Yeah that's my main concern about my level. If I had more time and knew how to do it I would really made individual moons not respawn upon collecting.
ft029 wrote:I also chose the wrong path lol. Interesting how one of the paths is more favorable if you are small rather than big.
But you can't be small in the last part because you get a forced mushroom/midpoint before it and there's no enemies to get hurt, only -3up moons.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I think the more sensible implementation for a stand-alone level would be to reset the life counter to 5 each time you enter the level. Again though, patch fun.
Koopster
judge of u

Post by Koopster »

If you have seen Quills post the scores on the YT comments I was the judge who scored this the lowest (40 versus 50+ from the others)

The idea is really good but I don't know, the level felt a bit too simple?? It is basically a hurdle-dodging stage, and the fact that they're moons that add or remove lives, while interesting in theory, didn't add too much to it for me, maybe because I didn't feel threatened to game over most of the time. I also don't really "get" the final room - it says you should memorize the amount of lives you have and stuff but ultimately you just need to keep doing the same - get yellow, avoid orange. And then you have to do a bit of math in the end which again, doesn't even depend on the amount of lives you had. (also I fell for the wrong path on my first try too lol)

I also wasn't very impressed by the design I guess. Super basic and really simple enemy usage all around. (I recognise this "interesting gimmicks but really simple design" style from some hack by you I played ages ago, and from then I can say that it turns out to just not be the most engaging for me.)

EDIT:

also if you ever hear "romp"/"rompy" from me (I actually used the term a lot in my comments I reckon), I suppose what I mean can be summed up to a world 1 Mario level. Feels introductory to the game, nothing new or interesting really happens.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

I think it would be interesting to have a discussion about the definition of "romp" in the context of level design after this contest is over. It's a term that I'm pretty sure originated here and I think if you ask five people what it means you'll get five different answers. There have been levels so far that I've not thought of as rompy while others have described them as such and vice-versa. It feels like it's beginning to become a catch-all term for a wide swathe of level designs and I'm not sure that's accurate.

But I think this is a conversation better served once we've seen all the levels, probably put into its own thread too.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

In football, say, if one team romps to victory, they are doing so without even trying. I have always considered the romp level to be of this nature, able to be beaten without effort or attention.
dont wanna jihad no more
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

JUDGES' COMMENTS AND SCORES FOR 7th PLACE:

7th: a guy
-FROZENQUILLS-
FUN: 27/30
DIFFICULTY: 5/5
CREATIVITY: 10/10
AESTHETICS: 8/10 (3/5 GFX + 5/5 MUS)
FUNCTIONALITY: 5/5

TOTAL: 55/60

COMMENTS:
OMG THIS WAS SUCH A SILLY LEVEL

The whole moon gimmick in this level was really nice and super
creative! It brings out a whole new experience of managing
your life count so you wouldn't get a game over. The ending
of the level really took advantage of this by hiding your
life count as well, though it was mostly just precision jumping.

I also really love the enemies and obstacles; the super fast
moon rings were really engaging, and you really have to look
carefully to make sure you don't fall for the falling (and
rising) moon traps.

That angry moon part was also really cool and a nice touch to
the level, hahah.

The only issue I have is that I felt like the life management
thing could've gone farther than just precision jumping.

But still, this was so well made and creative and best of all,
it was really enjoyable.

Super nice job!

TLDR:
+ Great design with all the moon enemies
+ Great life count management puzzle
- A few points felt just like normal precision jumping

OTHER:
someguy712 is gonna have a heart attack when he sees this level
rofl. also i got the level name from a guy's ips file name in
the submission thread

-PYRO-
Fun: 25/30
Difficulty: 3/5
Creativity: 9/10
Aesthetics: 9/10
Functionality: 5/5
Total: 51/60
Comment: This was super cool! I love how you like, used moons as a gameplay mechanic? And lives in general as one. It was super neat. And the whole level just has neat moon-related gimmicks, like the boo circle-esque superfast moon thing and even the Angry Moon. It's very creative and I like it a lot. I really don't have much else to say beyond 'it's amazing'.

-KOOPSTER-
FUN: 17/30
DIFFICULTY: 3/5
CREATIVITY: 7/10
AESTHETICS: 9/10
FUNCTIONALITY: 4/5

TOTAL SCORE: 40/60

I can think of another guy who will like this one. The first impression of this is really amazing, but the ideas don't evolve nearly as much as they could. The second and third sections don't add almost anything gimmick-wise, except for the angry moon which is a bit annoying. Also the moon concept didn't really feel threatening at all, I never really felt I needed to collect moons cause most red moons are around yellow ones anyway! The final segment is interesting but you don't really need to memorize your lives at all, just follow the same rule: avoid red, get yellow, and then get the alternating moons path in the end. This was actually super misleading cause I thought I had missed a secret and spent too much time searching and asking people :s

-S.N.N.-
FUN: 25/30
DIFFICULTY: 3/5
CREATIVITY: 9/10
AESTHETICS: 9/10
FUNCTIONALITY: 5/5

TOTAL: 51/60

COMMENTS: This is an immensely clever idea. Even from the get-go, I liked the transition from 105 into the moon area. You had some really unique enemy choices and set-ups (e.g. the half-Boo rings, the "angry moon", etc). I feel like the part of the level with the moon silhouette didn't need to exist, though, and unless I missed something obvious, the part where you have to choose a path is impossible to get by with less than ~8 lives. Great music, great aesthetics, and mostly great design overall.
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

I always figured a rompy level is one that's pretty quick, pretty easy, and just kind of goes by without much in the way of big defining features. One that's just trying to be a fun normal mario level rather than going for a big central gimmick or a strong challenge or anything like that.
Divemissile

Post by Divemissile »

this was one the levels that i played (as i've said) and i dig it, but the second part ways it down a good bit. i like the challenges, except the moons in the ground that attack you. all your focus is on the stuff above ground, the angry moon, the ghost moons, the happy and sad moons, so having enemies be embedded in the ground is a bit cheap. i could've just rushed past them but idk

@ the discussion of what a romp is: i've always thought of romps as a level where you just run and jump, not much else. fun little levels that you sandwich between the meatier levels in a bigger game. in fact, i thought romp was a mesh of the words run and jump

also
someguy
a guy
???
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

That was a really interesting level. I dunno that it'd work well for a whole hack but it's a good way of making lives matter without them feeling completely unnecessary.
BobisOnlyBob wrote:I think the more sensible implementation for a stand-alone level would be to reset the life counter to 5 each time you enter the level. Again though, patch fun.
I'm pretty sure using something like UberASM would make that really simple. I believe there's a section in that for code that runs every time you enter a level or reach the world map or something. You'd just need to look at the address map on SMWC and figure out what address is the one for lives and push 5 to that address.
nathanisbored

Post by nathanisbored »

morsel/morceau wrote:In football, say, if one team romps to victory, they are doing so without even trying. I have always considered the romp level to be of this nature, able to be beaten without effort or attention.
To me 'rompy' is just another word for athletic, ie constantly moving and fast paced; you can't sit still for very long because there's lots of moving parts. Maybe that's too literal of a definition, but that's what I think of. basically anything that requires constant focus. lolyoshi's level definitely fits into that category
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

oh wow, yeah.

Like I'm not sure if I'm the originator of the word in this context or not, but I have always used 'romp' to mean a level that mostly presents simple jumps and scenarios that you can go through without having to think really hard.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

I'm definitely sure I've heard the word "romp" being used long before I ever discovered raocow to refer to a not terribly serious or weighty, sort of formulaic but still entertaining episode of a television series (the idea being a fun bit of romping about as opposed to deep storytelling), and it's not hard to imagine this concept being extended to a video game level, likely without a conscious or deliberate attempt to coin a new term. For precisely that reason, it's probably a lost cause to try to find a single originator, nor an original definition, since the entire point is to create an intuitive understanding of the term by means of analogy. One thing that does seem to be common in most conceptions of a "romp", though, is "somewhat formulaic but still reasonably entertaining", plus the generally idea of lighthearted jumping and playing about, as suggested by the word in non-media-related uses. This seems as good a starting point as any.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Yeah, my definition of "romp" is basically a level that doesn't do anything standout-ish, doesn't last too long, and feels fairly vanilla. Basically, something fairly run-of-the-mill while still being decent.

Also, tomorrow's level is my favorite in the contest. Hyped.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Well the dictionary definition for romp is pretty much spot on. The second definition most of all.

romp (rŏmp)
intr.v. romped, romp·ing, romps
1. To play or frolic boisterously.
2. To run or advance in a rapid or easy manner.
3. Slang To win a race or game easily.
n.
a. Lively, merry play; frolic.
b. Lively or frolicsome play that encompasses lovemaking.
2. One, especially a girl, that sports and frolics.
3. A rapid or easy pace.
4. Slang An easy win.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

S.N.N. wrote:Also, tomorrow's level is my favorite in the contest. Hyped.
Welp, looks like I'm 6th place. 8-)

A romp is a short level that has a few enemies placed down without any real thought. Since the designer didn't put much thought into the level, the player usually doesn't have to either, so it ends up matching morsel's definition and all of the variants in this thread.
Mosts Awards:
nathanisbored

Post by nathanisbored »

The Doctor wrote:Well the dictionary definition for romp is pretty much spot on. The second definition most of all.

romp (rŏmp)
intr.v. romped, romp·ing, romps
2. To run or advance in a rapid or easy manner.
This is what I meant by fast-paced

Thinking about it more, I guess the confusion here comes from the fact that sometimes you use the word romp to refer to something that requires you to be frantic and fast paced, and sometimes you use it to refer to a level thats so straightforward and easy, that you tend to play in a fast paced and frantic manner as a result of how easy to sight read the level is.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

The Doctor wrote:1. To play or frolic boisterously.
I think this one is more fitting for raocow. Levels he considers romps tend to be boisterous frolics, lol.
Money

Post by Money »

This contest sure is getting a lot of mileage out of Temmie Village
lolyoshi
don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

Post by lolyoshi »

List of remainders:
ft029fee
Lazy
Le Neveu De Rameau
morsel/morceau (aka rUdEbOi4000)
nothobz
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Cloaytonem2's level is simply delightful. If "fun" is to be measured solely by the sheer joy a level gives you, this one would get top marks from me. And Bowser's Thinking Desk should totally be canon.

Also, you do realize you could spinbounce of that boss, raocow? In fact, you can keep surfing on him for duration of the battle (possibly exclaiming "Floors are for bores!"), if that's your sort of thing.
Cloaytonem2

Post by Cloaytonem2 »

raocow, the doodlesaur is a lot easier if you spin jump.

Also, I didn't think I'd get this far in the contest, let alone a judge favorite. I'm satisfied with that, at least.

I wanted to do a level that didn't really work in a full hack, so I went with "Someone's designing a level, and this is the rough sketch of it on paper!" Mario was originally going to fly out of a paper on someone's desk at the end, but that wasn't funny enough. I also thought of the paper being ripped in half once the boss was dead, but crumpling the paper offscreen was easier.
I spent the most time on the level patching up or designing around issues with the pencils and doodlesaur. Turns out it's not that easy to just spawn certain enemies, because with the code I had, several sprites had strange side effects (like the bob-omb being set to explode automatically, but that was convenient). Sprites spawned by the pencils also don't come back when despawned, so no "drawn" sprite should be required for the level to be finished outside the kill room, so I just made them required for a few dragon coin puzzles.
The pencils were also layer 2 being shaken with HDMA, and lemme tell you, that caused a lot more trouble than you'd think, especially in the kill room and the boss room. I managed to buff that out, though.
The doodlesaur was its own troubles, but that's just because I chose a bad size for it and refused to use the patch that allowed me custom sprite hitboxes because I'm smart.

The moral of the story is don't code custom sprites. Like, ever.

Also, my username is doomed to be spelled wrong.