(shouting)

MaGL 3 results: moral of the story: laziness always prevails

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: MaGL 3 results: you are a cool spud

Post by Crow »

1. a guy
2-9. the rest

also i kind of? loved? everything about idol's level? easy favorite so far
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Well that was certainly my favorite episode so far.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

I predict nothobz is 9th place, beating idol by 0.25 points
Mosts Awards:
Divemissile

Post by Divemissile »

i've personally played a guy's level and i could see it being like #5, great level but it's got some problems. for the rest idk honestly (i played another one of the yet to be seen levels but it was so tough i gave up lol)
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Okay, entries are getting super good now.

Roykirb's level was great. Making the Rexes into toothbrushes is hilarious. And the regular ending is nice. And the level plays great, too. Really enjoy this one. Also, nice alliteration here.

SMCslevelengine made a nice level, too. But I'm not as much of a fan of the second half, as it's very easy to mess up and die. But it also looks very neat, uses those extending block lines very creatively, and those split and homing bullets are great technology. You did a great job.

Shagg... I know that name well. Actually, I expected him to win. But this is still a high mark regardless. The level name was great, the music fit the level perfectly, the mood fit the reference perfectly, and it feels nice to clear this in one shot. And yes, I do enjoy your stuff, Shagg. I know why you left that message there, and it's a very good reason... Oh, and you did something good by giving the player 1-ups after every death.

idol also has a fantastic level. The whole Luigi is dead thing was actually the type of humor I should have aimed for. But I didn't, due to me being a dumb. This feels great, and very much like a Yoshi's Island level. And the body, of course, was a treat. Great job, and nice job on the second-time technology for the secret exit.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by Classtoise »

MAGLOVANIA stealth reference that was almost definitely not on purpose; Mario is Cerulean 8lue.
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
nothobz
of the jungle
First name: george

Post by nothobz »

it doesnt matter what my numbered placement is because my beating idol placement is #1

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

MAGLOVANIA is I think the best short-length level I've seen in a while. Just a bite-size length of good time with good music. I was listening to Undertale soundtrack yesterday and it's quite well-done, with unexpected variety in the music styles, and several tracks reminiscent of other games. And I don't recall seeing before a MAGL meta joke in the level title. I was amused at that.

Luigi's Body Meadow was good to watch too, although I'm personally not a fan of a HUD that auto-retracts and, as Arctangent pointed out, responds late. I prefer my huds to stay in the screen as long as they're not visually in the way too much. Better yet, have some kind of an option to toggle or control it.
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol
Pronouns: she/her

Post by idol »

ive never really done much smw hacking and had been away from it for like, years. pretty much only got back into it coz there was a dumb lil contest n i wanted to give it the old college try. my level was just a platform for me figuring out how to use tools like sprite tool, level asm, parallax, and the new lunar magic (i can insert layer 3 bgs! woah! before you had to use a dumb patch to do custom layer 3).

the whole luigi being euthanized thing was an inside joke friends and i had. it kinda riffs on like, those video game creepypastas where Mario Is Dead and the Blood Is Realistic and just like, silly attempts to be spooky. that and applying the word euthanized to people kinda brings up p wild connotations. i know youre not supposed to complain about being judged well, but man i feel like everyone but pyro were way too kind. i dont mind my place tho, it was a non serious kinda joke level that was more me learning how to use the tools and less me utilizing interesting physical level design and gimmicks. the status bar did creep in p slow but idk how to change that. i'm asm dumb as hell. mostly i just wanted 2 make something memorable.

thx 4 all the kinds words tho everyone it's encouraging i'd like to do more stuff but Guess who's a non-committal motherfucker. its me
Money

Post by Money »

The last bit of sturg's second room would really have benefitted from being bumped like, two blocks down so you can tell the difference between ceiling and VOID. Theres even plenty of space on the bottom.

Also is that second room the whoa zone from super paper mario?
underFlo
you spinda right round
First name: Florence
Pronouns: they/she

Post by underFlo »

The gravity flip sprite seems kinda ill-fitting because from the looks of it it only flips mario once he passes its middle? just making it a line like in VVVVVV may be a better way of showing it and I don't really get why people use vanilla graphics with a different palette for gimmicks when everything else in the level is chocolate town usa
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
nothobz
of the jungle

Post by nothobz »

why does sturg's level have a time limit if there's no timer on the status bar?????????????????????????
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

Spinda wrote:The gravity flip sprite seems kinda ill-fitting because from the looks of it it only flips mario once he passes its middle? just making it a line like in VVVVVV may be a better way of showing it and I don't really get why people use vanilla graphics with a different palette for gimmicks when everything else in the level is chocolate town usa
Yeah, if Sturg did this it would be easier to understand the second half.
I didn't want to predict Sturg's level being an angrycow level because I've seen others have a lot of fun with it, but I had my own troubles with it as well anyway lol.

I really like lolyoshi's level btw; I don't really care for cutoff if the level has great gameplay and creative obstacle setups, hahah.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

JUDGES' SCORES AND COMMENTS FOR 9th AND 8th PLACE:

9th: lolyoshi
-FROZENQUILLS-
FUN: 27/30
DIFFICULTY: 5/5
CREATIVITY: 9/10
AESTHETICS: 5/10 (2/5 GFX + 3/5 MUS)
FUNCTIONALITY: 5/5

TOTAL: 51/60

COMMENTS:
Despite the cutoff water tiles, this is a really good level!

It's kinda weird having to go through a bunch of floating
water through a forest, but the entire level is well designed
around floating water. The spike balls, fish, and floating
platforms were especially creative and well placed for great
reaction-based gameplay.

Later on, the level adds saws for additional complexity and fun,
and what's really good about it is that even though it felt more
challenging as the level went on, none of it was frustrating.

Graphics and music are plain old SMW, which is alright.

But still, awesome job with this. I wasn't expecting such good
gameplay out of floating cutoff water tiles of all things.

TLDR:
+ Excellent design around floating water
+ Great sprite placement
- Graphics are only okay

OTHER:
what is with that level name lol

-PYRO-
Fun: 24/30
Difficulty: 3/5
Creativity: 7/10
Aesthetics: 5/10
Functionality: 5/5
Total: 44/60
Comment: It feels like your average JUMP level - super janky, but creative with its setups and gimmick. I personally didn't mind the floating water cutoff because in exchange for that you get a fun, nice level with dodging a bunch of obstacles while in water. It's a simple, but very fun level. One minor complaint I have, though, is that I kinda wish it was more original in like...level layout and aesthetics and stuff? Because it feels like an edit of Donut Plains 3 atm. It's not neccessarily a BAD thing it's just some random minor nitpick I have. Very nice overall.

-KOOPSTER-
FUN: 25/30
CREATIVITY: 7/10
AESTHETICS: 7/10

TOTAL SCORE: 49/60

nice level, well-crafted, pretty fun stuff. Nothing incredible but it gets its job done very well, got it all on first try, etc etc. I don't know how you can manage that water bit with the symmetric saws, but I had a powerup, so thanks for the powerup.

-S.N.N.-
FUN: 25/30
CREATIVITY: 8/10
AESTHETICS: 5/10

TOTAL: 48/60

COMMENTS: I liked the clever usage of the water + line guides throughout the course of the level. Each set-up felt unique, and the difficulty progression was solid. I do feel like you could have explored a couple of the ideas a bit more, such as the Chucks (only used once), but otherwise the level was quite fun overall.

8th: Sturg
-FROZENQUILLS-
FUN: 16/30
DIFFICULTY: 3/5
CREATIVITY: 10/10
AESTHETICS: 10/10 (5/5 GFX + 5/5 MUS)

TOTAL: 44/60

COMMENTS:
I really want to love this level, but it's just too much at
times.

The first half is really well designed around the gravity flip
gimmick for the most part. I liked dodging around the enemies by
switching gravity, though the bullet part was a bit iffy since
the bullets blended into the background. There was also too much
to comprehend at the end of the first half since you have to
figure out how to use the trampoline while dodging lava bubbles,
baseballs, and footballs.

The second half was really cool since you have to manage a disco
shell, but that cannon placement is awkward as big mario. I
really liked the other obstacles before the sublevel though.

The sublevel adds areas where you are forced to switch gravity,
making the gimmick more interesting. However, I found some of
the maneuvers you have to do quite tricky, and some of them
are hard to realize what you have to do. I did enjoy figuring
them out though; it just feels too difficult to execute all
in one go.

The aesthetics are wonderful by the way, so props with that. I
just feel that this level needs to be polished, but I loved the
ideas you had going for it.

TLDR:
+ Awesome gravity gimmicks
+ Figuring out what to do is fun
- Actually doing what you need to do is probably too hard

OTHER:
noud noud noud noud

-PYRO-
Fun: 23/30
Difficulty: 5/5
Creativity: 8/10
Aesthetics: 10/10
Functionality: 5/5
Total: 51/60
Comment: Basically my only issue with this level is the midpoint. It's in a bad place (it gets annoying to have to redo the disco shell section EVERY time you die in the whoa zone), if it was moved to the start of the woah zone this level probably would have gotten like 6 or 8 points higher. But yeah other than that this was amazing??? It's not like it's a super original gimmick, it's VVVVVV, but it's executed well, there's some neat challenges, and it's fun. And on top of all of that, it looks great and the music is great. It sets the tone for a 'finale' level well. Honestly I'd love to see more stuff with this gimmick because I feel like more could be done with it??? Overall though it's still a great level, just with a midpoint that is in a bad place.

-KOOPSTER-
FUN: 26/30
AESTHETICS: 8/10

TOTAL SCORE: 51/60

I really, really love this stage! Especially the first three quarters of it. The final white segment felt a bit sloppy to play. In part for the white bars that didn't feel entirely functional, and also for one thing that I felt a little in the entire level but want to emphasize here: too fast pacing for setups that may take the player a bit of time to figure out. At least that's something that I felt.

-S.N.N.-
FUN: 21/30
AESTHETICS: 9/10

TOTAL: 47/60

COMMENTS: This is a super cool level with a really neat gimmick (obviously inspired by VVVVVV, but still). The first half is a ton of fun, and I like the way the gimmick builds up - however, I feel like the second half builds up the difficulty a bit too much and gets a little spammy on the sprites (the two Thwimps + Thwomp part comes to mind). The time limit is also really tight - I managed to run out of time partway through the second half. Complaints aside, I had a lot of fun with this one.
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Re: MaGL 3 results: actually it's vvvvvv now

Post by Arctangent »

I can't help but feel like that custom status bar was slapped on after the fact without any thought put into it because wow does it actually cause confusion as to whether or not a ceiling's there.

Which is a pretty big deal when you're supposed to be walking on the ceiling. Though it probably wouldn't be so bad if the ceiling wasn't the same color as the status bar why

It's certainly a good example of why VVVVVV didn't really have momentum with its gravity, too.
Divemissile

Post by Divemissile »

the diary of anne frank was a neat little level. i'm pretty sure it's an edit of an existing smw level but it's the good kind of edit, the kind that adds a whole new challenge to the level.

see you on the flip side seemed great up until the inside part. the lines seemed really finicky and the fact that you could flip inside of them is really strange. i think if the player was given more time to understand how the flip lines work this level could've been near perfect
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

i feel like the first level got a boost because of the name
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Mikkofier »

Man, I was pretty sure sturg would be the winner. Good thing I'm not a betting man...
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

This was a result of me dicking around in Lunar Magic and trying to find decent tutorials on how to do asm, graphic changes, and pretty much every custom asset done in this level. But goddamn my "SMW" file I created solely for this contest is now filled with like seven entities of Asar included in every bloody asset changer, four or so folders dedicated to back-ups from the fear that I'd corrupt my rom (I would); and just a slew of custom assets, including an extending block seen in levelengine's level which was the first thing I tested to see it was interesting (took me like 2 weeks to finally implement it, ended up didn't liking it anyways -- go figure), are piled up from me testing out ideas and not liking them. Trying to apply "chocolate" to SMW just feels overly tedious, especially for a beginner, to the point I wasn't having fun making it anymore. And even after finalizing everything and submitting the blasted thing, I'm still rather disappointed with the final result.

For instance, the VVVVVV asm has some weird quirks and drawbacks that I really could've done without. I could not think of a great set-up right before the mid-point involving the baseball dude and the springboard, because for some reason even holding the button from flipping onto the springboard more than likely still flips you for whatever reason. It ended up having you do a short bounce with the springboard, although that might've not been greatly explained. I was thinking of using a shell rather than a springboard, but then I'd have to make a reset door and graphical assets for an invisible block indicator that I just didn't want to deal with. I also don't super enjoy how you can't "bop" enemies from below when flipping, such as the koopas, but trying to alter the way SMW works is pretty challenging so that completely understandable.

The custom item bar also did some weird things too? I have no idea why the timer doesn't show up and nor did I ever notice its disappearance until after submission. Hence the low time limit there.

I feel that plenty of personal issues I have in this level originate from having to rush out that 2nd half again to meet deadlines. Lunar magic is not user-friendly in the slightest. There are so many ways to screw up your hard work that are so easy to do if you're not paying attention. Which was definitely true, due to trying to hurry up and, again, meet deadlines.

Like an hour before the contest was over, I had saved the 1st half over the 2nd half which led to this post. The MAJORITY of the problems people are noticing: the height of the ceiling, the double thwimp set-up, the goal-post graphics of the flippers (I had intended to change them, but again I ran out of time due to having to redo everything), and overall structure of the level; all had been previously tested in the 1st version of the 2nd half. The ceiling was at least two blocks lower than it is now; the two thwimps had been placed in specific places so that it felt much cleaner; it was absolutely frustrating trying to remember where I had originally placed everything, and attempting to test and correct errors was so limited from a lack of time.

Overall, I just didn't have fun making this level. I still had wanted to try Magl3 for the experience though, so I hunkered down and tried my best. I myself don't personally agree with my placement of 8th (the same placement I got in the only other contest I participated in lol), but here we are.

tl;dr I absolutely fucking despise Lunar Magic, and this experience has made me never want to use it again.
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Interesting that you had a completely different experience than I did, as I kinda prefer LM now after making my level.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

...Now I feel bad for Sturg. And amazing that he actually managed to finish something on time. Also, you are not alone; I prefer the X engine for making my levels. Having nearly everything built-in is very good.

lolyoshi probably didn't expect to get this far at all. But here he is. And I also like that level of his. Looks like incredibly tight platforming, and some cool setups with floating water (not possible in Mario Maker tm.). You also don't see mine balls as obstacles often, so great job with this level. It looks vanilla, but that can easily be excused.

Sturg... I know you felt this was a tragic entry, but I really enjoy it. It's been talked about to death now, so thanks for making this. VVVVV styled gameplay was really nice, and you had some incredibly cool setups. I actually blame raocow for dying as much as he did; while the setups are difficult, they aren't too difficult to learn. And I must say that I adore the old timey sound effects. It really adds charm to the level. Thanks for pulling through, Sturg.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
nothobz
of the jungle

Post by nothobz »

lolyoshi for most underrated
lolyoshi
don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

Post by lolyoshi »

I came across this and decided it to be it's name for the level because I had no idea what to call it. Maybe if I had placed a secret exit that's an alternate route (opens up after you beat the level once), I would have been able to developed the level's central idea but more, but I thought of it after the contest ended so whatever.

At least I got in the top ten, which was my wish. Top five is only a dream though. Too bad I didn't beat hobz :( so contest is rigged, REEEEEE :ehh:
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

Sturg post music.
Image Image
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

nothobz wrote:lolyoshi for most underrated