(shouting)

MaGL 3 results: moral of the story: laziness always prevails

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: MaGL 3 results: blueluigi's not so crappy after all

Post by Grounder »

raocow wrote:man, nobody has anything to say about today's level, haha
It sure happened.

The saving of the small switches saved it from being tedious to watch (and presumably to play, especially combined with the unlimited lives) but otherwise...
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

I'm a fan of the switches changing up the environments in the other rooms, and my favorites were the red and green rooms iirc.
However, I felt like the music could be better imo.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
gameguy888
Man, I dunno.

Post by gameguy888 »

So, uh...

Woah! It's my level!

Long story short, this level is based on a level I made for rom hack that I'll likely never get around to completing (the overworld was actually just copied over and modified from that). I wanted something with a decent amount of possible replay-ability, and I think I accomplished that pretty well. Especially after my level in MaGLX2 (The Flying Space Fish, btw) I also wanted to do something with a little more platforming and exploration.

Truth be told, I've never delved too deep into a lot of the advanced tools for SMW hacking. Most everything just kinda went right over my head. I managed to get a few things working, but there were other things I wanted to do (namely custom graphics and probably better music). I just ran out of time to figure everything else out.

That said, I'm pretty happy with 15th place.
Words go here sometimes.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

raocow wrote:man, nobody has anything to say about today's level, haha
They're saving the lashing out for tomorrow's level :ugeek:

I enjoyed this level a lot when I played it. Like FrozenQuills said, the rooms changing environments totally based on the order you hit the switches made the experience feel unique. It takes a fair bit of foresight and good planning to make a level in such a fashion, so kudos to the author for pulling it off.
RegiGiygas
listening to oingo boingo
First name: uriah
Pronouns: he/him

Re: MaGL 3 results: the most colorful entry

Post by RegiGiygas »

I thought that today's level was a little too generous with powerups.
can't forget this guy
Waaa.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

RegiBleck wrote:I thought that today's level was a little too generous with powerups.
I'd actually have to agree considering that raocow was running into anything and everything he could and still was doing pretty well on them. I think each room should have given only one powerup instead with maybe the exception of the start room.

Other than that little niggle though I thought today's level was great. One of my favorites so far.
gameguy888
Man, I dunno.

Post by gameguy888 »

Honestly, the only reason many powerups exist is due to the people testing for me (myself included) getting hit a lot. Maybe the powerups in the switch rooms were a bit much, I will admit. I did try to keep the powerups a decent ways away from the pipes though so farming for multiple powerups from one box isn't as easy to do.

Mostly I was worried about people dying a lot when they're just trying to explore the level and figure out where things are. I feel like they're still spaced out enough that you can't just tank everything, but my goal was to keep people moving, I guess.
Words go here sometimes.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

JUDGES' COMMENTS AND SCORES FOR 15th PLACE:

15th: gameguy888
-FROZENQUILLS-
FUN: 18/30
DIFFICULTY: 4/5
CREATIVITY: 8/10
AESTHETICS: 5/10 (3/5 GFX + 2/5 MUS)
FUNCTIONALITY: 5/5

TOTAL: 40/60

COMMENTS:
This was kinda cool.

The gimmick of "oh man you pressed this switch and now
the other rooms are slightly changed" has been done quite a
few times, but this one does it pretty well. In my run I went
red -> yellow -> green -> blue

The red room was alright; it basically focuses on running up
walls. I really liked that one obstacle with the kicking
koopa and the turn block after running up a wall.

The yellow room was my least favorite: there were a ton of
baseballs around, and combining that with a lot of ambushing
moles made this room quite a difficulty spike unlike the others.

I think my favorite is the green room since it combines layer 2,
rotating platforms, and saws well for some nice reaction based
gameplay.

The blue room was also alright, seeing as I had to do bullet
jumps in order to progress since I pressed the other switches
already, helping fit the difficulty curve.

I wasn't really a fan of the music, but the graphics are okay.

All in all, good level. It's rompy but it does the switch
gimmick well for the most part.

TLDR:
+ Interesting switch gimmick
+ Obstacles are well designed around switches
- Yellow room is unfittingly difficult
- Not really keen on that music choice

OTHER:
i really like how after you beat the level you can turn the
switches on and off again

-PYRO-
Fun: 22/30
Difficulty: 4/5
Creativity: 6/10
Aesthetics: 6/10
Functionality: 5/5
Total: 43/60
Comment: This was a super nice level! Switch hunts haven't really been done before in SMW, and having them save was a VERY good decision (otherwise the level would have been basically unplayable ;p). The four colored rooms were also designed very well too, with each having a mini-gimmick. My favourite was probably the red room - wall triangles don't get nearly as much love as they should. I also really liked how you used the switch blocks to make each room more difficult when a switch is pressed - usually switch blocks are just used to make the level easier. Also the life counter made me happy :D

-KOOPSTER-
FUN: 21/30
CREATIVITY: 7/10
AESTHETICS: 7/10

TOTAL SCORE: 44/60

Thanks for not making me have to bear the long goal sequences of the original switch palaces, I really appreciate that! The level is fun and nice, and the idea of previous switches hindering some easy passages is really cool. I think the level was really simple though, and more could've been done with this idea. It's still a good play though!

-S.N.N.-
FUN: 25/30
CREATIVITY: 8/10
AESTHETICS: 7/10

TOTAL: 49/60

COMMENTS: This was a super clever level. I loved how you used all four switches and designed the level in such a way that parts of the level not only became easier, but more challenging as well. I felt like you got a little bit spammy with some of your sprite set-ups though, such as the chainsaws at the start of the green room. Despite that, this was a fun experience overall.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

gameguy888 wrote:Honestly, the only reason many powerups exist is due to the people testing for me (myself included) getting hit a lot.
In general it's probably better to fix that by toning down the obstacles rather than increasing the power-up supply. At least when you get to the point where you're adding this many power-ups.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Divemissile

Post by Divemissile »

man i loved today's level a ton. maybe it's cause i have barely any experience with smbx tropes and stuff so i think switch hunts are cool, but this was very well designed. i also really liked the square edges on the blocks, it looks really neat!
nothobz
of the jungle
First name: george

Post by nothobz »

i liked the idea of some switches helping in some situations while others were a hindrance, but the way the map was laid out you would definitely get the two on one side before going to the other. I dont know if you planned for that but i feel like i saw a few situations where the green switch would help you and the blue wouldn't on the same path, which would be counter-productive based on the level design.

but like SNN, it's impressive you were able to pull this idea off as well as you did! Personally I've always struggled with using switch blocks at all, and this level really shows how it's done! nice!
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

While watching today's level I was thinking of Revenge of Switches Pressed from ASMT.
Arctangent wrote:
ano0maly wrote:I can understand judges getting fatigued over seeing the same thing several times, but then again that's not the fault of the individual level makers.
I don't understand where you got that from any of this. Not only did I say anything to this effect ... I can't think of a single person that did?
It's more like I brought it up on my own volition because the discussion that page sounded like the nature of other levels around a particular level should be a factor for that level, and I felt that in a contest with individualized levels it shouldn't be, at least in theory, whereas in an actual game put together, it would be. But rereading your post back there, it looks like you were saying that the surrounding levels can actually be beneficial for a rompy level.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

I don't think the powerups are abundant. It really makes sure that you won't die in the level, and dying is quite costly. Beating stuff like this in 1 try or so feels pretty good.

I do think a few moles could have been removed from the yellow room though. I hate moles. How do moles? HOW DOES MOLES???
Mosts Awards:
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

ft029 wrote:I do think a few moles could have been removed from the yellow room though. I hate moles. How do moles? HOW DOES MOLES???
♪ Even if you forget the small moles on my back and inner thigh ♪
♪ I'll never forget you ♪
♪ In my lonely room, your wig weeps ♪
♪ Baby, believe me when I say don't attach anything to the walls of this room ♪
♪ Like moles or wigs or wall staples ♪
♪ Ooh~ ooh~ oooooh~ ♪
♪ No~ wall~ staples~ ♪
Alice

Post by Alice »

ft029 wrote:dying is quite costly.
How do you figure? The state of each switch is saved even if you die so the biggest cost of dying is any progress towards one switch and nothing more.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Coffee Break should have been shorter, I feel.

The water movement made it feel tedious to me after a while.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

The coffee break was amazing today. Makes me want to get some coffee myself.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Next contest: MaGSL (Make a Good Silhouette Level)
RegiGiygas
listening to oingo boingo
First name: uriah
Pronouns: he/him

Post by RegiGiygas »

After hearing the audio in that second level, I kinda wish that raocow would every once in a while record the audio bad just to give us a nostalgia trip to OldTube.
can't forget this guy
Waaa.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

I am really enjoying these entries... even if it does hit my pride a little.
gameguy888's Switch Hitch from yesterday looked great. The power-up abundance was certainly not a bad thing, and helps make it more accessible to more people. Also, the ability to replay it however you like is a good touch.

SNN made a great level, too! Thalassian Gorge is a bit too slow-paced for everyone to enjoy, but an underwater section filled with these grate puzzles is very nice regardless. This is probably a 44/50 from me overall. It also looks very pretty...

Magma Chamber might be the only level that earns the honor of being even better than the coffee break level in the same video as it. This is just... amazing. I am a huge sucker for fire levels, especially when they look this pretty. It doesn't go too far out of the ordinary, but it's extremely good at what it does. The silhouetted section was great, too, but I wish Mario was also included in the effect. That's a small nitpick, though. This level is my favorite so far. Thanks, Miracle Water, for making this.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
nathanisbored

Post by nathanisbored »

I have encountered underwater vines/fences before, and I will say the main reason you don't encounter it much is because it's really hard not to accidentally grab a fence while holding left or right (assuming you're using an actual D-pad). Naturally the D-pad can rock a little bit up or down even while strictly holding forward, so you accidentally 'cling' to stuff all the time and it's super aggravating. I've even seen underwater vines being used in a kaizo hack before, where you have to try not to grab them while quickly swimming through an area. It's not really something that should be encouraged imo because it's super frustrating to feel like you're doing it right, but get screwed over because of your D-pad. Luckily in this level there weren't too many areas where accidentally climbing at the wrong time would outright kill you. Would be neat if climbing required holding the run button, and you could just let go of Y to not accidentally climb or something.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

I anticipate that Magma Chamber lost points with Pyro for being kind of a romp.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

snn you did NOT make that level for this contest you fraud are you trying to pull a fast one on us

Seriously, though, the underwater grate extravaganza is a super-neat concept, though a number of the gates are oddly tankable if you have a powerup compared to the finesse needed to get to get by unscathed. I guess that's a legitimate way of doing things (after all, there's still a limit to the number of powerups, so you don't get unlimited tankings), but an unusual one.

That said, the HDMA effect in the layer 2 section, especially combined with the lack thereof on layer 2 itself, is a bit nausea-inducing. And don't think we didn't notice you sneaking a few skellingtons into the level!

In non-judge matter, something about Magma Chamber really strikes a chord with me. The gameplay, though solid, doesn't try anything too wacky, and the æsthetic, though gorgeous (and not without some technical fancy feets-work), aims a bit towards the minimalistic side in effect. But it all just comes together so very, very nicely. Sometimes less is indeed more.
Last edited by Le Neveu de Rameau 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Post by snoruntpyro »

Voltgloss wrote:I anticipate that Magma Chamber lost points with Pyro for being kind of a romp.
Actually, not really. I liked the level. I'm just a lower scorer in general. Throughout this lp I've realized my biggest mistake in judging has been being really harsh with the fun scores, I really didn't make full use of the range.
Alice

Post by Alice »

RegiBleck wrote:After hearing the audio in that second level, I kinda wish that raocow would every once in a while record the audio bad just to give us a nostalgia trip to OldTube.
I'd personally prefer he avoid it. On my audio setup there's already a lot of issues with his sudden laughter or singing being way too loud when his normal audio is often a bit quieter than I'd prefer but today was even worse than usual.