(shouting)

AZCT: A Zelda Classic Thing - Basic Planning Thread

... zelda
Nimono

Re: AZCT: A Zelda Classic Thing - Basic Planning Thread

Post by Nimono »

raekuul wrote:Regarding level 6: I actually would like some outside eyes looking at it, providing suggestions. I know some of the things I need to change are in the great shaft (specifically, making it less punishing to miss a jump). If y'all are on discord give me a poke.
gimme yer discord name and i'll poke ya
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Years late, but is there anything I need to know about the master copy before I go start testing/bug finding? Like, should I be starting with the other dungeons to be tested first?
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Nabe
Still working on AZCT
https://nabe.talkhaus.com/

Post by Nabe »

jayScribble wrote:Years late, but is there anything I need to know about the master copy before I go start testing/bug finding? Like, should I be starting with the other dungeons to be tested first?
Everything except the final dungeon and the Wand mini is accessible in Master Copy.qst, and there's a debug room accessible inside the ship in town. Basically, you can play through the whole game sans the final segment (including plot cutscenes, although some NPC movement in one cutscene is unfinished). There's no indicator right now, but press Jump when Sheath is holding up a Facet to finish the pick-up animation.

Level 2 isn't complete in the master, but the Facet can be accessed by hitting the switch one screen north of the entrance.

(You can grab the Bombs from the debug room.)

Levels 3 and 4 have temporary bosses; Level 6 is incomplete but beatable; Levels 5 and 8 should be functional, but have parts in motion that might be broken, and you might have a magic shortage in 8. Levels 1 and 7 are completely done, and completely functional. (A subscreen in Level 7 might be mis-drawn iirc, but I know you've played it already.)

The minis are all inserted, except for the Wand mini, which is complete but needs a visual once-over. The bar in town has a lot of hints about a lot of stuff, but for testing purposes,

the Boomerang mini requires the Bow and Arrows for its part 2 and the Hammer for its part 3. Part 2 has two screens that need to be redone, I'm no longer happy with the puzzles I made there. Shield Mini's second floor requires the Bombs and Hammer.

All Sweet Caves in Overworld 1 are inserted and reachable. There still aren't complete enemy placements in O1, and please don't enter any cave doors that are open with no bombs / puzzle involved, because they haven't been routed yet and you won't come out alive. Most NPCs have dialogue that changes multiple times depending on how many Facets you have. One NPC in the bar has dialogue that ends abruptly with blank space -- it just hasn't been written yet.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE

Post by jayScribble »

Got it. I'll post whatever things I find.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

I'm happy to help testrun this as well. What version of Zelda Classic should be used, and from where can the current quest file be downloaded?
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

Voltgloss wrote:I'm happy to help testrun this as well. What version of Zelda Classic should be used, and from where can the current quest file be downloaded?
The latest version is fine ( https://www.zeldaclassic.com/downloads.php#zc ) and I'll PM you the file now. Thanks!

@ both of you: If something gets you stuck somewhere, let me know where and what items you have, and I'll shoot you an updated quest file to pick up where you left off.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

I probably should have cross-posted this a while back.
raekuul, 29 Oct 2016, 09:03 wrote:If someone wants to take [over for me], I'm okay with surrendering command of Level 6. For whatever reason it's really difficult for me to want to work on it.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

raekuul wrote:I probably should have cross-posted this a while back.
raekuul, 29 Oct 2016, 09:03 wrote:If someone wants to take [over for me], I'm okay with surrendering command of Level 6. For whatever reason it's really difficult for me to want to work on it.
Saw this and it's definitely high on my to-do list.

Running from now 'til Canada Day!
MECHDRAGON777
Up in the Tower floating above Gensokyo lies the true me in reverse.

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

I have used ZC a lot four years ago. I might be able to help a little bit (As I notice this was made three years ago)

My avartar

I am a SMBX player, and I do not know weather to stay at SuperMarioBrosx.org or at talkhaus.raocow.com honestly.

jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE

Post by jayScribble »

The more things change, the more things stay the same. F6 and F12 are my friends doing this.

I've finished most of the first Island, but getting off there is another issue. Not to mention that there are barren areas on the later areas on the first. Some enemies in those area would at least kept the journey interesting.

Sword slashes and grass doesn't mix in this screen, resulting in those blue numbers on the top left.

Should have taken your advice on certain entrances. F6 is my friend here, though.

I found this purple thing north of the town. I killed it later on and nothing happened.

Not shown on this screen, but in the Shield Mini-dungeon/Demi-dungeon/This place, there was just a big key in the center of the screen, where later on, I found another one, so I assumed that the Big Key on this screen should not be there.

One tile off on this screen: the pillar top on the right on the doorway.

Is this guy supposed to be selling something?

After visiting who I assumed is Howikawa Otane in that cave, I was on top of a snowy area and when I went back down, here I am, stuck. Luckily I had the flute. Otherwise, F6 for me again.

Speaking of the flute, whenever I use it on the overworld, it warps me directly on the tile to the entrance of the completed dungeons, forcing me into it. So I have to walk out of the dungeon each time.

Poor fella got stuck spawning in the treeline.

I would have said the same to that guy stuck behind the statues, but since these guys deal two hearts of damage...

I hope that all of this would be useful. I'll try to continue on.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

A few quick notes after having completed Level 1:
  • The sign just west of Wizzrobe's House can't be read.
  • Rhyme doesn't have a sprite in the first cutscene between Rhyme and Reason. I thought he/she was a disembodied voice until Sheath clearly started talking to thin air in the final part of the cutscene.
  • Is there a hint somewhere to suggest that Wizzrobe's House is where you can find a starting sword? I didn't find one (maybe I missed it) and I can see a player (especially raocow) wandering all over the overworld looking for a sword to get started for an extensively long time. I tried it solely based on the dungeon map layout and the Metal Gear music suggesting a "stealth" dungeon - are those the only hints the player gets? Alternately, perhaps some slashable bushes could be placed to block the player from wandering too far away from the opening town area, thus limiting their search space for a sword?
  • Keese sure do drop a lot of carrots. Is that intentional?
  • I stumbled on 200 sweets while exploring the town, allowing for several opening purchases before the game really got started. Is that intentional, or in there temporarily solely for testing purposes?
  • Sheath eating the Adult Carrot and jumping at the screen post-Shiny Thing made me grin. Nicely done on both.
[/spoiler]
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

Thanks @ both. That key and those Sweets are definitely both from testing.

@jayScribble,
try talking to people in town, particularly the pink-haired NPC west of the boat (this is the invisible Rhyme from the cutscene near the guards), or the boat captain. Some strings from these two set events in motion, assuming I have things properly hooked up. The grass-cutting numbers are a debug thing I left around and forgot about, thanks for reminding me of that. The purple thing out on the water is our Ghini replacement -- there are some more ghosties out in the sea. The sponge guy isn't meant to be selling anything, but he should have said a thing if he didn't.

@Volt,
there might not be a hint for the sword! I'll have the guard who tells you that you need a sword mention it, and maybe somewhere else as well. Bushes might be a good call as well. About Keese, it's not intentional per se, we just haven't gotten around to adjusting any of the default drop tables.

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:I have used ZC a lot four years ago. I might be able to help a little bit (As I notice this was made three years ago)
There's definitely stuff you could do. Would you like to try a short sideview transition area? There are a few of these, all with only Mario enemies in them. So far we have Goomba, Piranha Plant, Boo, Podoboo, Buzzy Beetle, and a simple Cheep-Cheep that swims back and forth. Ninji, Thwomp, Lava Lotus, Spiketops and Bloopers are on the way. The idea is that each of these transition areas has a handful of screens, and focuses on at most one or two Mario enemies as obstacles.

Let me know if this sounds interesting or if you'd rather something else, then I'll hook you up with the requisite files in PMs.
MECHDRAGON777

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

Nabe wrote:Thanks @ both. That key and those Sweets are definitely both from testing.

@jayScribble,
try talking to people in town, particularly the pink-haired NPC west of the boat (this is the invisible Rhyme from the cutscene near the guards), or the boat captain. Some strings from these two set events in motion, assuming I have things properly hooked up. The grass-cutting numbers are a debug thing I left around and forgot about, thanks for reminding me of that. The purple thing out on the water is our Ghini replacement -- there are some more ghosties out in the sea. The sponge guy isn't meant to be selling anything, but he should have said a thing if he didn't.

@Volt,
there might not be a hint for the sword! I'll have the guard who tells you that you need a sword mention it, and maybe somewhere else as well. Bushes might be a good call as well. About Keese, it's not intentional per se, we just haven't gotten around to adjusting any of the default drop tables.

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:I have used ZC a lot four years ago. I might be able to help a little bit (As I notice this was made three years ago)
There's definitely stuff you could do. Would you like to try a short sideview transition area? There are a few of these, all with only Mario enemies in them. So far we have Goomba, Piranha Plant, Boo, Podoboo, Buzzy Beetle, and a simple Cheep-Cheep that swims back and forth. Ninji, Thwomp, Lava Lotus, Spiketops and Bloopers are on the way. The idea is that each of these transition areas has a handful of screens, and focuses on at most one or two Mario enemies as obstacles.

Let me know if this sounds interesting or if you'd rather something else, then I'll hook you up with the requisite files in PMs.
Sure, I can do that. (With the Roc's Feather I assume) Is their a chance I could also do a little side dungeon? (Multi-floor)?

My avartar

I am a SMBX player, and I do not know weather to stay at SuperMarioBrosx.org or at talkhaus.raocow.com honestly.

jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE

Post by jayScribble »

Nabe wrote:@jayScribble,
I talked to Rhyme and the boat captain. While I got the correct lines after getting all 4 facets, the captain still has the same lines, so no boat trip for me yet. I "got" onto the other island though, through a wrongwarp in the debug room with the huge hungry guy, so I'll continue on from there.
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

jayScribble wrote:
Nabe wrote:@jayScribble,
I talked to Rhyme and the boat captain. While I got the correct lines after getting all 4 facets, the captain still has the same lines, so no boat trip for me yet. I "got" onto the other island though, through a wrongwarp in the debug room with the huge hungry guy, so I'll continue on from there.
The boat captain didn't mention logs?
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE

Post by jayScribble »

Nabe wrote:
Nope. He just said talk to him whenever I need help, just like at the beginning of the game. I tried talking to everyone else in town as well and explored everywhere besides the second island. Should I just go to the second island with the debug raft?
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

jayScribble wrote:
Nabe wrote:
Nope. He just said talk to him whenever I need help, just like at the beginning of the game. I tried talking to everyone else in town as well and explored everywhere besides the second island. Should I just go to the second island with the debug raft?
Yep, that's fine. I'll investigate what went wrong. Also, if you could send me a copy of your save file that would be good.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE

Post by jayScribble »

Nabe wrote:Yep, that's fine. I'll investigate what went wrong. Also, if you could send me a copy of your save file that would be good.
Yeah, I'll send it over the dropbox.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE

Post by jayScribble »

A repost, but an unfortunate one. Report time:
The raft and I are not meant to be: I couldn't even find it in the debug room, so to the wrongwarp with the Giant Grumble Guy room I go.

Something minor, but some graphical glitches with the topleft corner and the top doorway.

When I "entered" the room, I just shot one arrow upwards and left, since I didn't want to pick up the 30 arrow drop. Entering the room again, the room was "solved", leading to the image.

A minor fix, but a major flaw: whenever Sheath moves even one pixel to the left, I'm warped to the previous room, unable to go further into it. Because of this, until I realised it after I quit to report that I could use the flute, I was softlocked in this dungeon and unable to progress further, and was forced to revert to my last spot I saved.
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

jayScribble wrote:A repost, but an unfortunate one. Report time:
The raft and I are not meant to be: I couldn't even find it in the debug room, so to the wrongwarp with the Giant Grumble Guy room I go.

Something minor, but some graphical glitches with the topleft corner and the top doorway.

When I "entered" the room, I just shot one arrow upwards and left, since I didn't want to pick up the 30 arrow drop. Entering the room again, the room was "solved", leading to the image.

A minor fix, but a major flaw: whenever Sheath moves even one pixel to the left, I'm warped to the previous room, unable to go further into it. Because of this, until I realised it after I quit to report that I could use the flute, I was softlocked in this dungeon and unable to progress further, and was forced to revert to my last spot I saved.
I figured Level 5 had to be broken somewhere... I've debugged all the "leaving island 1" stuff but I'll fix all of this now before I upload.

Running from now 'til Canada Day!
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

jayScribble wrote:A repost, but an unfortunate one. Report time:

The arrow puzzle will be changed in final. The other errors should be fixed in the version I just uploaded, although I have no idea how to reproduce the garbled graphics in your first screenshot. Let me know if it happens again.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE

Post by jayScribble »

Nabe wrote:The other errors should be fixed in the version I just uploaded, although I have no idea how to reproduce the garbled graphics in your first screenshot. Let me know if it happens again.
The garbled graphics might have been something rare, so it's nothing to really worry about. I'll get back to it as soon as I can.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE

Post by jayScribble »

Lot of progress, with some problems along the way. Be warned, there is a lot of things.
With the updated master copy, the raft thing worked at intended, so to the second island properly.

Does the raft ride include surfing on the rocks?

Got stuck here because I was exploring this dungeon. A forced reset for me and the end of progression of this dungeon for me.

After defeating all the origami gibdos, the book despawned.

Remember that garble graphics on my last report? It might be related to the door shutting behind me and that arrow puzzle room.

Also, I got lost in this dungeon by not finding the keys to progress.

Hard to see here, but there is green grass graphics on Sheath whenever she's in tall grass, even though all the grass here is yellow.

Is the fairy suppose to do something here?

Whenever I approach this screen from the right, those guys keep spawning in the treeline.

It's a bit glaring that there is the ghini using the new sprites, and that there are the invincible ones using the default ones.

Two screens for two problems, both related to warps. The first time I used the passageway, there was no exit and walked to a blank screen. Going back to the top screen and to the passage way and exiting again, I was warped to the entrance of the dungeon.

I don't think this guy's supposed to be bluing everything around it.

Yep. Even after erasure. Also, it died in 5 sword slashes, and no large carrot drop. The two-headed Gleook near the entrance was a harder fight than this guy.

A place holder, I presume?

I don't think burning a bush should lead to a black void, that also doesn't warp me.

But I saved the worst for last: The flipper dungeon, and it pains me to see this happen.

"You're a glitch now, You're a squid now!"

Having the swim button and the jump button have some side effects, including cloning and the bottom self being behind brick cement in some areas.

Also, the squids are a bit too fast compared to your swimming speed, leading to some inevitable damage.

This dive warp here lead me to the empty screen here.

The warp above where the boss key is got me here.

And exiting the dungeon at the entrance warps me here.

Different boss, same problem.

Also, died in 5 sword slashes, no large carrot drop, and still locked in here.
MECHDRAGON777

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

jayScribble wrote:Lot of progress, with some problems along the way. Be warned, there is a lot of things.
With the updated master copy, the raft thing worked at intended, so to the second island properly.

Does the raft ride include surfing on the rocks?

Got stuck here because I was exploring this dungeon. A forced reset for me and the end of progression of this dungeon for me.

After defeating all the origami gibdos, the book despawned.

Remember that garble graphics on my last report? It might be related to the door shutting behind me and that arrow puzzle room.

Also, I got lost in this dungeon by not finding the keys to progress.

Hard to see here, but there is green grass graphics on Sheath whenever she's in tall grass, even though all the grass here is yellow.

Is the fairy suppose to do something here?

Whenever I approach this screen from the right, those guys keep spawning in the treeline.

It's a bit glaring that there is the ghini using the new sprites, and that there are the invincible ones using the default ones.

Two screens for two problems, both related to warps. The first time I used the passageway, there was no exit and walked to a blank screen. Going back to the top screen and to the passage way and exiting again, I was warped to the entrance of the dungeon.

I don't think this guy's supposed to be bluing everything around it.

Yep. Even after erasure. Also, it died in 5 sword slashes, and no large carrot drop. The two-headed Gleook near the entrance was a harder fight than this guy.

A place holder, I presume?

I don't think burning a bush should lead to a black void, that also doesn't warp me.

But I saved the worst for last: The flipper dungeon, and it pains me to see this happen.

"You're a glitch now, You're a squid now!"

Having the swim button and the jump button have some side effects, including cloning and the bottom self being behind brick cement in some areas.

Also, the squids are a bit too fast compared to your swimming speed, leading to some inevitable damage.

This dive warp here lead me to the empty screen here.

The warp above where the boss key is got me here.

And exiting the dungeon at the entrance warps me here.

Different boss, same problem.

Also, died in 5 sword slashes, no large carrot drop, and still locked in here.
The second bugged boss reminds me of Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, could the Sprite's color count be an issue?

My avartar

Lejes
https://lejes.talkhaus.com/

Post by Lejes »

I think it's due to GH_INVISIBLE_COMBO not having its tile set to the top left of a 4 by 4 space of blank tiles. A lot of these errors are probably due to shifting the tileset around, I think.