(shouting)

MaGL 3 results: moral of the story: laziness always prevails

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
GalaxyOfJ
The Mysterious Stranger Except Incompetent

Re: MaGL 3 results: well that happened

Post by GalaxyOfJ »

Pyro wrote:I thought galaxyofj was a joke level so I made a shitpost comment (it's a reference to the vldc8 level copyright violation). Oops!
I mean it's not a terribly serious entry so its not exactly not a joke level
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

Alice wrote:Well it's a safe bet that they probably got by specifically because they were harder than the rompy levels judging by what someone said earlier about Pyro preferring too hard over too easy. Even if it's only one judge that could still bias the results somewhat.
Nah, it's more like she prefers levels that actually do something over levels that are just kinda ... there, even if the former are tooth-shatteringly difficult.

Which I can empathize with. As much as utter romps have purposes and places in full games, they're just ... very questionable in standalone.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

Arctangent wrote:she prefers levels that actually do something over levels that are just kinda ... there, even if the former are tooth-shatteringly difficult.
Counterexample: Pyro really hates some of my jump1/2 levels because they're hard.

Also, I already commented this on the video... but in Raekuul's level, if you just quantum tunnel your way through the Morsel-blocks while somewhat avoiding the chucks, the level is actually quite fun. I do see what Koopster was going at.
Mosts Awards:
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

So yeah, the error is in 3x + 34 = 150.
34 is supposed to be 24, leaving x to be 42. I was rather forgiving for this since I understand everyone's troubles with math I guess, yet the second half is what really brought this level down for me.
Also raocow really needs to work with algebra on paper more lol
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Money

Post by Money »

In this exciting edition of raocow and friends, we learn raocow apparently never took 6th grade algebra
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

omg raocow

Also omg judge scores are already forming consistent trends.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
stormie
formerly maou shoujo

Post by stormie »

I'm pretty sure the mistake is in the "3x + 34 = 150" one. x would have to be equal to 38.666~, when every other problem works out to a whole number. (5776/x) - x = 0 can be rephrased as simply x = squareroot(5776), which is 76. So, that passcode room should go 3, 1, 5, ?, ?, 7, 6. The only leftover numbers are 2 and 4. It seems reasonable to assume that the messed up problem was supposed to be "3x + 34 = 160", which would give x = 42, for a passcode of 3 1 5 4 2 7 6.

edit: same answer, different correction, but yeah.
occasional watcher of the lets plays and haver of too many usernames
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

Lespna01: Umm... Well... We got to scream at raocow that the square root of 25 is 5?
Okay, to be fair, I really can't say that raocow's experience of the level would match what mine would be, so I really can't speak through his experience on the video. It's kind of a shame about that one broken math problem, but aside from that, like, the Pause button exists, tools to do math with exist, and we only really saw the first half of the level as of now.
video games
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

FrozenQuills wrote:So yeah, the error is in 3x + 34 = 150.
34 is supposed to be 24, leaving x to be 42. I was rather forgiving for this since I understand everyone's troubles with math I guess, yet the second half is what really brought this level down for me.
Is that X really supposed to be a multiplier? Considering in every other problem he used * instead, and used X for the unknown numbers? I thought you were supposed to find the second digit of the first number. Not that it makes it any more doable...

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

I came here to watch raocow play Mario platformers, not watch raocow do math. /s
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

Jesuiscontent wrote:
FrozenQuills wrote:So yeah, the error is in 3x + 34 = 150.
Is that X really supposed to be a multiplier? Considering in every other problem he used * instead, and used X for the unknown numbers? I thought you were supposed to find the second digit of the first number. Not that it makes it any more doable...
When you have 3 and X next to each others like "3X", it means 3 times X.
Just like how if you had like, XY it would be X times Y.
video games
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

Jesuiscontent wrote: Is that X really supposed to be a multiplier? Considering in every other problem he used * instead, and used X for the unknown numbers? I thought you were supposed to find the second digit of the first number. Not that it makes it any more doable...
Wow I haven't even thought about it that way. Though when I learned algebra, I just assumed that anytime a variable is besides a number like that, it must be multiplied.
4x - 11 * 4 was another problem where x is supposed to be multiplied though, which was shown earlier in the level. Though I think the author used the * in order to make us use PEMDAS.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Like this level, either you don't know how to do the maths and you're screwed, or you do and it's boring because who wants to do maths, I mean come on.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

FrozenQuills wrote: 4x - 11 * 4 was another problem where x is supposed to be multiplied though, which was shown earlier in the level.
Oh right, I guess it kind of makes sense with that one. Since raocow brute-forced it I didn't really pay attention to it. Still, it'd have been more clear to do something like 4*X-11*4=8, for the sake of consistency.

tirakai

Post by tirakai »

I guess we're headed into the part of the contest where people thought the g in the title meant gimmick rather than good.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Jesuiscontent wrote:Still, it'd have been more clear to do something like 4*X-11*4=8, for the sake of consistency.
You'd have to blame that on like the whole of algebra though
Koopster
judge of u

Post by Koopster »

Hey I apologise for being super late again. I'm on a life-deciding weekend right now (exams to ingress college and stuff), but after that I'm gonna be quicker to reply.

For two of the three levels in yesterday's video I just ran out of things to say a little, don't have much to comment on rompy stages. They're a bit fun but not much interesting happens, that's about it! I want to apologise for GalaxyOfJ's comment cause I misinterpreted the level at first. I thought you were getting at something and then threw the towel and called it a joke level, or something. Looking back at it it's a bit funnier than I took it as!
And yeah I actually do like raekuul's level, idk I always enjoyed playing with throw blocks lol.

Also don't worry about today rao, you went just as far as I did. As Quills said the fourth math problem is the one that's wrong, it gives out an infinite decimal number. I couldn't really figure out what was wrong to try to get a sensible answer, so I never got past that room. I don't think it was unfair to stop there...
My comments also say something about the unpracticity of calculating the square root of 5776 in the middle of a game (and really, solving equations in general if you're not very good with algebra - not surprisingly a good portion of people)
Lespna01

Post by Lespna01 »

Mandew wrote:Lespna01: Umm... Well... We got to scream at raocow that the square root of 25 is 5?
Okay, to be fair, I really can't say that raocow's experience of the level would match what mine would be, so I really can't speak through his experience on the video. It's kind of a shame about that one broken math problem, but aside from that, like, the Pause button exists, tools to do math with exist, and we only really saw the first half of the level as of now.
I used the Disable Pause sprite to disable pausing, which is why I put the time mushrooms.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kyKzg9oDoBI
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

JUDGES' COMMENTS AND SCORES FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL MATH CLASS: THE LEVEL

62nd: Lespna01
-FROZENQUILLS-
FUN: 11/30
DIFFICULTY: 4/5
CREATIVITY: 6/10
AESTHETICS: 5/10 (2/5 GFX + 3/5 MUS)
FUNCTIONALITY: 3/5

TOTAL: 29/60

COMMENTS:
It looks like a hodgepodge of kinda decent levels mixed in with
some math puzzles, but man there's a lot of waiting and small
issues in that last section

The math puzzles were alright most of the time, but the
3x+34=150 puzzle leaves x as a decimal answer (38.67). Luckily I
was able to figure out that x was supposed to be 42. Still,
figuring them out was sort of fun I guess, but then again I was
an applied math major in college so I'm not sure if others would
find them enjoyable :P

The first actual level section involves maverick thwomps and
ball and chains. They were mostly designed okay, but some of
the maverick placements that headed towards the left were kind
of unfair since you have little time to react. There were also
earthquake thwomps that stunned you even if you were in the air
which was awkward.

The 'library' section with the chairs and 'charging bros'
was pretty strange since the sprites acted in weird ways and
looked glitchy. I even got hit by something but I have no idea
what it was. It was alright overall though.

The second half of the level after the last math puzzle is a
huge vertical ascent with invisible note blocks and layer 2 side
scrolling lands. I had to wait a ton for the land in order to
climb, and some of the invisible noteblock placements felt
unfair and annoying, even if I needed some of them to get to the
top.

The boom boom at the top was really weird too since it seems to
be phasing in and out of existence.

So yeah, this level had a lot of ideas that were executed either
strangely or decently. It felt unfocused overall though; it may
have been better to focus on fewer kinds of obstacles since none
of these mini levels really felt developed (except for the math
gimmick).

TLDR:
+ Sections were decently designed
+ Math gimmick is somewhat interesting
- Some strange functionality issues and incorrect math equation
- Vertical second half has a lot of waiting
- Level is unfocused barring the math puzzles

OTHER:
shoutouts to m/m in the discussion thread

-PYRO-
Fun: 5/30
Difficulty: 2/5
Creativity: 4/10
Aesthetics: 4/10
Functionality: 1/5
Total: 16/60
Comment: Blank backgrounds with copypasted tiles, broken custom sprites, sprite limit issues cutting off enemy tiles, math errors, messy level design. It's a really messy and weird level. The chasing Hammer Bros. are a cool sprite I guess? Other than that I...don't really have very many compliments. It's ameturish, messy, and just not very well in general. I'm sorry for being so harsh but I can't really forgive you making the level impossible by screwing up the equation 3x + 34 = 150. That's 38.66666666666666666etc, not 42. Thanks to morsel for posting the answer in the discussion thread.
Possible Baserom Notes: ???????????????????????????????????????????????

-KOOPSTER-
FUN: 17/30
DIFFICULTY: 3/5
CREATIVITY: 6/10
AESTHETICS: 5/10
FUNCTIONALITY: 1/5

TOTAL SCORE: 32/60

Oh Lespna, why is your stuff always broken? You are quite literally the most unfortunate contest participant in the history of SMW hacking. Really sad for the broken math problems, cause otherwise this level is not even that bad (what I played of it, I stopped after the five problems in a row since #4 doesn't have a natural answer). I mean, other than for the disappearing/broken sprites in a few segments, which also take out from your functionality score, it's relatively good, even though it's somewhat simplistic. idk, I still think the idea behind this was good, but maybe don't ask me about the square root of 5776? Cause no way I'm gonna calculate that by mind, I'm gonna have to pick a calculator, which is unpractical for someone who's playing a game.

-S.N.N.-
FUN: 11/30
DIFFICULTY: 2/5
CREATIVITY: 7/10
AESTHETICS: 5/10
FUNCTIONALITY: 3/5

TOTAL: 28/60

COMMENTS: Basing a level around math problems, while creative in theory, needs to be pulled off much, much differently to actually be fun. There was a game on the N64 called Mischief Makers that had this concept as a small mini-game, but the game had enough charm and quirks to make it actually work. Here, it feels drawn out, tedious, and requires one to actually pull out a calculator and solve equations (square root of 5776). Typically, in a contest based around making a good, fun level, this wouldn't really cut it. The non-math parts of the level (i.e. with the Thwomps) came off as a tad frustrating, especially in the case of the Thwomps who were able to hurt Mario simply by hitting the ground.

So a couple of us brute-forced is, and I think morsel posted the answer in the thread (as 42, which means it should have been = 160 I guess, not = 150). I can understand people not being good at math, that's totally fine, but if you're going to build your level around that concept, then it's a fundamental flaw if the level's main gimmick .. you know, doesn't work.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

First of all, I hope you make the cut to college, Koopster.
Secondly... my god, raocow and Lespana01, you BOTH made math fails.
raocow failed at finding a square root, which I could do by 6th grade (yes, actually... though I didn't understand the concept of letters in equations in my first brush with them) (you did at least find that X+X+35=60 answer by mental math, which is fairly commendable.)
Lespana, your failure was at the equation 3x+34=150, which comes out as 38.666, as was already said. If you want the answer to be 24 instead, the equation would instead be 3x+34=106. (Or 160, in the case of 42) Now do you see why I wasn't ambitious at all with my level? I was afraid something like this might happen to it.

...But to be honest, the rest of it isn't too bad. Forcing people to consider algebra is both a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing because it helps those lagging behind think critically about math, which is an incredibly important step. The inclusion I also a curse because those people will now hate the perpetrator.

If you REALLY wanted to be evil, the Mario level would have you solve derivatives and (my god) antiderivatives. (Why does my computer correct that to ant derivatives..?) To give an idea what I mean... here's a sample problem.

In the equation sin(2X+4)=arctan(Y2-4Y+5), solve for X.
Bonus points to someone who actually works this one out (or correctly deems it unsolvable). This is exactly why Algebra 2 is a really scary class to work through. I guarantee you, you'll see something like this in it. ...Oh, and it has plenty of real life applications too.
Last edited by Zephyr_DragonLord 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

Lespna01 wrote:
Mandew wrote:Lespna01: Umm... Well... We got to scream at raocow that the square root of 25 is 5?
I used the Disable Pause sprite to disable pausing, which is why I put the time mushrooms.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kyKzg9oDoBI
Even then, it's just as easy to just focus out of the emulator to pause it, so...
video games
leod
Be careful when including any personal details.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: MaGL 3 results: in the next episode: multivariable calculus

Post by leod »

Mandew wrote:Even then, it's just as easy to just focus out of the emulator to pause it, so...
Then you might as well just put a savestate and be obvious about the cheating.
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

leod wrote:
Mandew wrote:Even then, it's just as easy to just focus out of the emulator to pause it, so...
Then you might as well just put a savestate and be obvious about the cheating.
I guess
video games
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by Classtoise »

Itt people finally get to brag about their math skills.

I can TOTALLY see how this level, which literally screwed up its own gimmick and had no focus beyond, wasn't last place.
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

ft029 wrote: Counterexample: Pyro really hates some of my jump1/2 levels because they're hard.
I literally only played an early version of OK TIDES tho

Also I just realized that I was wrong when saying I scored the frustrating levels higher, lol. Like today's level, which I gave the fourth lowest score. And some other levels coming up I gave pretty low too. IDK what I was thinking, oops!

And yeah, Lespna01, the math error basically ruined the whole level for me. I probably would have given it double its current score if that wasn't there because besides that the level is okay if a bit broken (besides 2nd half but we haven't seen that yet on video!)