(shouting)

Make A Good Level Contest (SMW) 3 - Discussion

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^
Fausthieb

Re: Make A Good Level Contest (SMW) 3 - Discussion

Post by Fausthieb »

Lespna01 wrote:
S.N.N. wrote:We are now waiting on the last judge to send their results in. Three of the four have finished.
I hope I did a lot better than the previous contests even though I don't expect to be close to winning. Since there were 70 entries, I hope I at least get in the top 35 or 40 places.
I wish I was as optimistic, I just aim to not be last place.
Mediocrity is king :3
I comment more on youtube under a different name: Kunstkritik
Lespna01

Post by Lespna01 »

Fausthieb wrote:
Lespna01 wrote:
S.N.N. wrote:We are now waiting on the last judge to send their results in. Three of the four have finished.
I hope I did a lot better than the previous contests even though I don't expect to be close to winning. Since there were 70 entries, I hope I at least get in the top 35 or 40 places.
I wish I was as optimistic, I just aim to not be last place.
Mediocrity is king :3
Now, I'm not sure. I always try my hardest, and the judges are always really overcritical. I know that was a careless mistake, but I hope that doesn't make me lose a lot of points like idol pointed out. It' still possible to play and finish. Also, if they're talking about that random sprite that kept appearing, I couldn't help it. I checked everything, and it wouldn't go away.
nothobz
of the jungle
First name: george

Post by nothobz »

Lespna01 wrote:the judges are always really overcritical
they're judges. thats htheir job
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Lespna01 wrote:I know that was a careless mistake, but I hope that doesn't make me lose a lot of points like idol pointed out. It' still possible to play and finish.
But it's a mistake that is critical enough to greatly, greatly hinder the gameplay of the level. It's not a minor bug that can easily be overlooked - anyone who isn't the creator (you) would try and solve your puzzle and realize that the intended solution doesn't actually work. It took me several brute force guesses until I managed to get by.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Lespna01 wrote:It' still possible to play and finish.
no offense but if this statement is ever uttered as a redeeming quality, as a rule, that means the level in question is probably awful.

I can't really call your level awful since I haven't even seen it, but "possible to play and finish" is a quality shared by all but the most shameful atrocities in the history of video games. If that faint praise is the best that you yourself can offer your level, you shouldn't expect to place very high, nor should you expect anybody else to take responsibility for how you place.
I don't really get it but okay
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

Since you seem to be so desperate for feedback that you're even extending your complaints to smwcentral, I shall give you some "brief", angry criticism. (My criticism is ALWAYS angry. It's just the extent of anginess.)

Fun: 5. I was pretty much asleep while playing this, AND I resorted to savestates due to the awful level design. You even named the level "Long Maze", and I think you should see the problem. Also, invisible coin blocks that aren't marked should only be used SPARINGLY in Kaizo levels to intentionally make the player mad a few times. The use of invisible coin blocks and note blocks is just outrageous and awful. Also, getting hit by some invisible force by the brothers in the library was dumb. The layer 2 vertical section was about the worst level design I've ever seen in my life.
Difficulty: 1. This is completely inappropriate difficulty. You're using length as difficulty. You're using waiting around for layer 2 and making me bored as difficulty. You're testing my MATH skills for difficulty. Don't get me wrong, I really love math. But it isn't suitable for games because the problems are either too boring (these problems), or, if they are actually fun, perhaps too difficult for most people. As I mentioned earlier, people don't play games to go toward math. They play games to get away from math homework.
Creativity: 5. There were some ideas.
Aesthetics: 6. Pretty good. The vertical layer 2 section was ugly though.
Functionality: 1. At least it's "playable", as you mentioned. LOL. Well, when raocow plays this level and gets a fraction as the answer for one of the algebra problems, well...

Of course, I'm not judging this as seriously and with as much thought as the KLDC, but still.

Overall ways to get better: I think the best way is just to watch or play some great levels. Just as reading great novels builds vocabulary, watching videos or playing levels in good hacks like JUMP or MAA would help your own level design and creativity. Even the hacks that I don't like as much, like Mario is Missing, can help give you a sense of thinking about the player when it comes to level design.
Mosts Awards:
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

thread bump because why not
Mosts Awards:
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

The bump we all wanted but weren't going to make.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

The promised deadline for judging and having the results to raocow was November 1st, and I still believe we'll make that (potentially sooner). The last judge is almost done - if he finishes this weekend, I will have the results compiled and sent in by Monday.

Will post updates as I have them.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Now the question comes as to whether raocow will finish Star Road first, or potentially have this contest as a mario B-side
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
nothobz
of the jungle

Post by nothobz »

i think so.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

since Star Road is the longer project, he'll probably pause it for a month to play our entries.

A month, not 70 days. Yes. That's because raocow won't just upload 1 minute videos of the super short levels.
Mosts Awards:
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Slimeman01 »

The hype is killing me!
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Sasquatch
Don't mess with sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Slimeman01 wrote:The hype is killing me!
Better tell that last judge to hurry up or they'll have blood on their hands.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Ivy wrote:Now the question comes as to whether raocow will finish Star Road first, or potentially have this contest as a mario B-side
raocow wrote:since star road is going to be one of those several months long project (probably?) I'm actually goign to interrupt star road at a key point that makes sense to do magl3
^^^
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
nothobz
of the jungle

Post by nothobz »

if the final judge is who i think it is, we should be seeing results soon.... real soon....
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

don't spoil that you're the final judge smh
nothobz
of the jungle

Post by nothobz »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
MECHDRAGON777
Up in the Tower floating above Gensokyo lies the true me in reverse.

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

S.N.N. wrote:The promised deadline for judging and having the results to raocow was November 1st, and I still believe we'll make that (potentially sooner). The last judge is almost done - if he finishes this weekend, I will have the results compiled and sent in by Monday.

Will post updates as I have them.
I would see if he actually finished this weekend.

My avartar

I am a SMBX player, and I do not know weather to stay at SuperMarioBrosx.org or at talkhaus.raocow.com honestly.

snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Post by snoruntpyro »

What?

Mechdragon confirmed for judge???
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Apparently someone's turning Finnish this weekend.
MECHDRAGON777

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

Last night, I dreamed of Zyglrox Odyssey winning this contest. Was it a preminision, or just a weird dream. Keep in mind I never played or saw it before. (Since no one ever gave me a working is/bps file of his level) Good luck to everyone

My avartar

I am a SMBX player, and I do not know weather to stay at SuperMarioBrosx.org or at talkhaus.raocow.com honestly.

TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

Zygl's level is cool and fun. I will only be disappointed if I rank higher than him `~`
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
nothobz
of the jungle

Post by nothobz »

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:Last night, I dreamed of Zyglrox Odyssey winning this contest.
never seen somebody spell my name that way
MECHDRAGON777

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

nothobz wrote:
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:Last night, I dreamed of Zyglrox Odyssey winning this contest.
never seen somebody spell my name that way
I do not know how to respond to that... Not sure what kind of joke that is, but okay.

My avartar