(shouting)

Mischief Makers - Robot shakes things, everyone is happy

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Divemissile

Re: Mischief Makers - everything must shake

Post by Divemissile »

raocow wrote:isn't 2.3 bundled with malware though
i downloaded 2.3 recently and it had no malware (though i do remember hearing about project64 having malware before. earlier version maybe?)
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Mischief Makers - everything must shake

Post by SAJewers »

Do those graphical glitches happen in CEN64 or by using angrylion's RDP plugin?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Re: Mischief Makers - marina is a bad cop

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Huh, I could have sworn the Blockman revelation with Teran came much later. Maybe we revisit that in a subsequent stage...?

Speaking of things that unexpectedly happen early on,
...I was genuinely shocked by Geold's death the first time I played this game. I mean, the game had been pretty goofy up until this point (and would continue to be goofy thereafter), then suddenly, this character who's been set up to be an important ally gets unceremonious mowed down by a minor, nameless villain half way through the first act. I seemed to remember it being more graphic than it actually is, however, with him visibly disintegrating (with no silly ghost to soften things, he's just plain dust) but it seems in actuality that he just flies off screen. Still, it's a moment of mood whiplash, and not the last one in this game.

In other news, raocow seems to have finally realized there's an S on the end of the title.
Last edited by Le Neveu de Rameau 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Can someone explain the gems?

Red = Money? This no counter on the screen.
Blue = Health
Green = also health? Seems to be rarer than Gold.
Gold = One per stage, the games 'collectable for completion'. Also restores health.

I also don't understand why the gauge up top sometimes empties. Or the blue and red icons underneath.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

Neveu,

Geold's death

is a spoiler (

he's hospitalized and doesn't actually die until a few chapters later

)... well, except this game doesn't really have much of a plot to spoil, and it doesn't affect future events at all either.

And yeah, we do revisit Teran's Blockman blood... much, much later in the game.

No, raocow, the Clance-Balls are not transformed Clancers as far as we know. Teran's Blockman thing is unique.
Sebby19 wrote:Can someone explain the gems?

Blue = Health
Gold = One per stage, the games 'collectable for completion'. Also restores health.

I also don't understand why the gauge up top sometimes empties. Or the blue and red icons underneath.
Red = pay for hints and extra health upon continuing
Blue = health restore
Green = big health restore
Gold = EPIC health restore + unlocks stuff at the end (

how much of the ending you see is dependent on how many golds you collect, to see the whole ending you need all the gold gems, including one you have to find within the ending itself

).

Marina has three lifebars. The blue and red icons indicate lifebars she has "in reserve". When it's "emptying", it's because her current health overflowed into the next one.
Last edited by Dark Hunter 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
stormie
formerly maou shoujo
Pronouns: she/her

Post by stormie »

Sebby19 wrote:Can someone explain the gems?

Blue = Health

The red and blue icons are extra health bars, you can stack up to three bars.

Red gems are sort of money yes. I think the only places you can spend them are on Ms. Hint and on continues, but I may be forgetting something silly in midgame. When you die and continue, it gives you back a variable amount of health based on how many red gems you decide to spend.

Blue and green gems are just health pickups yes, where green is more powerful. Gold gems are even more powerful health pickups and also collectables. Getting 100% of the gold gems has an impact on the ending, but actually reaching 100% could be A Thing in a troublesome way. Particularly the major boss fights, when require

doing the boss fight with no damage

edit: ah, beaten on the explanation. Still, I stand by what I said about 100% being A Thing.
occasional watcher of the lets plays and haver of too many usernames
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I never saw this game too far, since I was weirded out by the 3d style before. I now see it has more variety than I expected with the desert, and a lot of humor and funny dialogue too. Those shake controlled mechanisms were especially neat.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

stormie wrote:[
Blue and green gems are just health pickups yes, where green is more powerful. Gold gems are even more powerful health pickups and also collectables. Getting 100% of the gold gems has an impact on the ending, but actually reaching 100% could be A Thing in a troublesome way. Particularly the major boss fights, when require

edit: ah, beaten on the explanation. Still, I stand by what I said about 100% being A Thing.
Don't you also need to at least A rank every level to 100%? Because IIRC that's much harder than getting every gold gem in some cases.

🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

Jesuiscontent wrote:
stormie wrote:[

Don't you also need to at least A rank every level to 100%? Because IIRC that's much harder than getting every gold gem in some cases.
You only need to have your overall time rank to be A.

Edit: Psst, Ms Hint also mentioned the slide thing because you can cross over small gaps with it (like the one with the gold gem in 2-1). That might be useful later.
Cosmo Fishhawk

Post by Cosmo Fishhawk »

So, Wikipedia calls Marina a "robot maid." Does that explain the tassel/antenna/bunny ears things on her hat, like was something like that that ever a part of the stereotypical Japanese maid uniform (I mean, before maid cafes became a thing)?

The few non-fetish images I got off Google looked pretty much the same as what a Western cleaning lady would wear.
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

The stereotypical Japanese maid uniform is, ironically, a French maid uniform. Traditionally, actual Japanese maids would wear a type of kimono.

I don't know what Marina's antennae are either. Probably just there to make her look robotic and cute.
Le Neveu de Rameau

You know, I could not for the life of me remember who was the boss of World 1. Apparently that's because there isn't one.

In other news, it would appear that Migen's eldritch magicks are disrupting the emulation. I bet he's responsible for raocow's issues in Super Mario Star Road, as well.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

marina for SMBX2 when
Le Neveu de Rameau

Re: Mischief Makers - let us not fall for bad puns

Any chance we might take a wee peeksie at what Vertigo looks like de-space-based?

It seem obvious now, but at child, it somehow never occurred to me that you could slam the bee into the ground. Instead, I always just sort of dragged it into the lava with me and tanked the hit. It totally worked though, as I seem to remember having far less trouble with this boss than raocow does here. In either even, it's a good thing this is a boss where the gold gem is obtained merely by shaking, eh?
Cosmo Fishhawk

Post by Cosmo Fishhawk »

Dark Hunter wrote:The stereotypical Japanese maid uniform is, ironically, a French maid uniform. Traditionally, actual Japanese maids would wear a type of kimono.

I don't know what Marina's antennae are either. Probably just there to make her look robotic and cute.
Ah, ok. Thanks :)
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

what plugin are you using now raocow?
Komus

Post by Komus »

I gave him a recent version of GLideN64 on Github that fixes most of the graphical problems and told him to not use it for Star Road because only black textures show up with it (I also sent him another version released yesterday that fixes the remaining problems of incorrect textures on the platforms and walls of World 2 levels, so no issues should be left). I could have given him Glide64 but it's a bit more complicated to set-up.

After the 5th part was posted, I also gave him a tip to fix the speed issues (set Counter-Factor to 1) and a new audio plugin (Azimer's Audio Plugin XA2 0.70 WIP4 (the version that doesn't have glitches with savestates), because for some reason Jabo's default audio plugin on PJ1.6 plays the music too fast at 60 FPS and when you check the Sync game to Audio, it slows down the game to 50 FPS to play the audio at correct speed.
Last edited by Komus 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Ah. I take it you're recommending that over CEN64 or Angrylion due to the performance?
Komus

Post by Komus »

There's a few reasons:

I don't want him to change his bearings by giving him another emulator, or even change his version of Project64.

And as you said, CEN64 and Angrylion need a beast of a computer to function at proper speed (moreso for CEN64, and you need special files from the N64 itself to make it work). Without knowing raocow's specs I chose GLideN64 because it's less painful to setup than Glide64 while still managing to fix the common graphical issues with this game.

As for Parallel, without even considering the fact to install and setup RetroArch, it still has issues like the invisible boulders in effect for now.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

got it.
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

Whoa, whoa, whoa, raocow!

You made a dubious claim in this last video! You claimed that you were the Guy.

You have bested Fruit, Spike, and Moon and not told anyone? I call shenanigans!

...okay, in all seriousness, I'm glad to see this plug-in has fixed some of the emulation problems. And we're almost to the first actual boss!
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?

Post by ztarwuff »

Oh ho! Today raocow proves that when the ship is sinking, don't abandon it like rats... just throw everybody else off overboard.
Le Neveu de Rameau

I love the fact that Migen Sr. has a robot arm with absolutely no explanation given. All the more so because he's a magician. Who says magic and technology have to be at odds?

I seem to remember this fight being slightly easier to perfect if you don't target Pa immediately, though...? Migen Jr. gets significantly more aggressive after his sire is defeated. Also, Migen Sr. will only heal him after three hits, which means if you hit Jr. twice, and only thereafter target his da, you essentially get 2 free hits before he goes all-out.

Also, the athletic festival took me like a million years to get through as a wee one. Mostly because of the inclusion of my least favorite type of minigame. Let's hope Raobert has more success therewith.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Le Neveu de Rameau wrote:I seem to remember this fight being slightly easier to perfect if you don't target Pa immediately, though...? Migen Jr. gets significantly more aggressive after his sire is defeated. Also, Migen Sr. will only heal him after three hits, which means if you hit Jr. twice, and only thereafter target his da, you essentially get 2 free hits before he goes all-out.
It doesn't really make a huge difference in my experience. I actually find it more difficult because of Migen Sr.'s energy balls. Junior's not particularly difficult on his own until the last hit or two.
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

I swear there's something about the swaying in the first level thats somehow worse in a small youtube video because I had no absolute problems whenever I play the level myself. maybe its the framerate.

I like how they put the monolith so that the character portrait of his face is exactly where his face is anyway.

Also the beastectors; the best characters in this game.