(shouting)

A Second Mario Bros X Thing: analog funk V1.3

The second SMBX collab!
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: A Second Mario Bros X Thing: analog funk V1.3

Post by ano0maly »

So I've been playing V1.3 of A2XT Episode 1 from time to time, and I've gotta say:

Pro: Most of the lag is gone. In previous versions I've had lag spikes that significantly hindered gameplay. 8flight's Just Another Screen was the worst in this regard, out of all the levels I've attempted in this game. I basically had to skip around it because the lag made it unplayable. But I've recently tried that level with V1.3 and it works pretty well now, so I'm convinced that my lag problem has been solved.

I've been told that the lag could be an issue to some people because of audio codec or something, and perhaps the newer LunaLua repaired the problem. So I would recommend other people that couldn't play well because of lag to try out V1.3.

Con: Some of the sound effects are quite jarring. I played the world 1 castle and the sounds just felt... wrong. What, you thought the sounds in the old version were obnoxious? (I'm aware of why they were replaced in the new version.)

Anyway. I'm having a severe audio problem in the world 5 overworld in V1.3. The OW music for this version becomes an intolerable mess of ripping sound. Can someone fix this?
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

ano0maly wrote:So I've been playing V1.3 of A2XT Episode 1 from time to time, and I've gotta say:

Pro: Most of the lag is gone. In previous versions I've had lag spikes that significantly hindered gameplay. 8flight's Just Another Screen was the worst in this regard, out of all the levels I've attempted in this game. I basically had to skip around it because the lag made it unplayable. But I've recently tried that level with V1.3 and it works pretty well now, so I'm convinced that my lag problem has been solved.

I've been told that the lag could be an issue to some people because of audio codec or something, and perhaps the newer LunaLua repaired the problem. So I would recommend other people that couldn't play well because of lag to try out V1.3.

Con: Some of the sound effects are quite jarring. I played the world 1 castle and the sounds just felt... wrong. What, you thought the sounds in the old version were obnoxious? (I'm aware of why they were replaced in the new version.)

Anyway. I'm having a severe audio problem in the world 5 overworld in V1.3. The OW music for this version becomes an intolerable mess of ripping sound. Can someone fix this?
One thing you could maybe try is to convert the song with Audacity or similar program to same file type, and see if that helps. I also hope that we'd be able to use the SMBX 2.0 for this someday, as that fixes a lot of the issues with the game.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Willhart wrote:I also hope that we'd be able to use the SMBX 2.0 for this someday, as that fixes a lot of the issues with the game.
Speaking of SMBX 2.0, has there been any news on it? I don't think I've heard a single thing on it since around the end of MaGLx2.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ano0maly wrote: Anyway. I'm having a severe audio problem in the world 5 overworld in V1.3. The OW music for this version becomes an intolerable mess of ripping sound. Can someone fix this?
Try redownloading the Base Game from here. that should fix it.
Willhart wrote: I also hope that we'd be able to use the SMBX 2.0 for this someday, as that fixes a lot of the issues with the game.
We are using the latest LunaLua version, which should have all the fixes.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Imaynotbehere4long
Gone, but...yeah, pretty much forgotten.

Post by Imaynotbehere4long »

ano0maly wrote:Con: Some of the sound effects are quite jarring. I played the world 1 castle and the sounds just felt... wrong. What, you thought the sounds in the old version were obnoxious?
If I remember correctly, the sound effects were replaced because the person who made them didn't want them to be used anymore, so new ones had to be found.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)

SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026
ParmaJon
Moose in a suit
First name: Jon (a bit too obvious?)
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by ParmaJon »

Alice wrote:
Willhart wrote:I also hope that we'd be able to use the SMBX 2.0 for this someday, as that fixes a lot of the issues with the game.
Speaking of SMBX 2.0, has there been any news on it? I don't think I've heard a single thing on it since around the end of MaGLx2.
From what I've seen most updates on it are on smbx forums
Go to bed

Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

SAJewers wrote:
ano0maly wrote: Anyway. I'm having a severe audio problem in the world 5 overworld in V1.3. The OW music for this version becomes an intolerable mess of ripping sound. Can someone fix this?
Willhart wrote: I also hope that we'd be able to use the SMBX 2.0 for this someday, as that fixes a lot of the issues with the game.
We are using the latest LunaLua version, which should have all the fixes.
It does not have the new launcher, and some of the apis are probably missing too.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Alice wrote:
There is a big update coming up hopefully soon. I hear it contains a lot of stuff like the new game mode, fixed PGE editor testing for normal levels, some new characters/costumes and many other things.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:
ano0maly wrote:Con: Some of the sound effects are quite jarring. I played the world 1 castle and the sounds just felt... wrong. What, you thought the sounds in the old version were obnoxious?
If I remember correctly, the sound effects were replaced because the person who made them didn't want them to be used anymore, so new ones had to be found.
I did say "I'm aware"
SAJewers wrote:
Thanks for that, although it turns out I had an older release of V1.3. I redownloaded the base game and Episode 1 from the official links in the OP, and the OW music was fixed.

I did try using the base game from OneDrive and I noticed that the raocow sprite Chaoxys made sinks into the floor. I read what was up with that here; shouldn't the necessary files be in the base game and not Episode 2?

I also have questions about the save file. Is it "demos.dmo"? And how come when I delete the save file, even after I close SMBX, the game remakes it when I start A2XT again? Also, is the save file transferable to an older or newer version of the base game? I'm wondering if there would be problems with that because of different LunaLua builds.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

It's in the Ep2 folder because of how that stuff currently works in LunaLua. Throw these files in the Ep1 folder and that should fix it.

Save file is save1.sav/save2.sav/save3.sav. demos.dmo is an old lunadll thing.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

Hi - I'm getting a really weird graphical glitch with V1.3 The layers don't seem to be working properly, and sprites are getting hidden behind stuff that should be in the background? It's making a lot of levels virtually unplayable. These screenshots are a good example of stuff being messed up:

ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

dmboogie wrote:Hi - I'm getting a really weird graphical glitch with V1.3 The layers don't seem to be working properly, and sprites are getting hidden behind stuff that should be in the background? It's making a lot of levels virtually unplayable. These screenshots are a good example of stuff being messed up:

I'm having similar problems as well, using the versions of base game (updated on November 19 of 2015) and Episode 1 (updated on September 9 of 2015) downloaded from the OP.

Once Episode 2 is released I would like people to test Episode 1 in full with a stable version of the base game, so that we can ensure we have working versions of the episode and the base game for the episode, and not have to constantly re-test the episode as SMBX gets updated for future projects. I'm interested in helping out with that effort.
Wohlstand
Moondust and TheXTech developer
First name: Vitaly

Post by Wohlstand »

Sorry, it's my fault because Mainainer tool (used to re-convert all MP3's into OGG with auto-renaming in the LVL files) which used PGE File Library which had a wrong BGO order priorities table which I fixed only month ago.
Wait a few time to let me implement batch format converter (to port episodes between different SMBX versions (from 1.3 to 1.0, etc.), from-to SMBX-38A and from-to PGE-X formats) to re-save all those files to fix this trouble
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Bump.
I finally made the ability to fix all levels: laboratory package of PGE Moondust now will always have a latest Moondust Maintainer tool which now has a new tool:
- Level/Episode converting/fixing
- Then point to the episode
- Check SMBX1...64 as target format, then press "Start".
All levels are will have fixed order of BGOs and compared to internal SMBX's order priorities table.
Last edited by Wohlstand 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

Will Episode 0 be fixed up and included with Episode 2 when it releases because I've been going through it again and theres quite a bit of graphical issues since its using A2XT's engine and stuff now. Also the lack of spitting you back on the hub breaks the layers and events in most levels and despite pushing start and select to exit the level the engine crashes sometimes from it. Also some levels just can't be completed now like the final level. Just thought id put this out there since i thought i heard Ep. 0 and 1 were gonna be updated once 2 came out
JeNeVeuxPas
J'ai faim

Post by JeNeVeuxPas »

I recently deleted everything I had on my PC, and when I redownloaded A2XT, I wanted to play immediately but I encountered a problem that I don't know how to solve: In certain places, my character or other stuff (like items or ennemies) are behind some of the layers. For exemple: in "another castle" at the boss fight, my character and the boss are behind the big castle that is supposed to be in the background. Can someone help me on how to fix this please? 'w'
Today, it's my turn!!
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

What are you testing the level on? Not sure what could be causing something like that to happen.
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

JeNeVeuxPas wrote:I recently deleted everything I had on my PC, and when I redownloaded A2XT, I wanted to play immediately but I encountered a problem that I don't know how to solve: In certain places, my character or other stuff (like items or ennemies) are behind some of the layers. For exemple: in "another castle" at the boss fight, my character and the boss are behind the big castle that is supposed to be in the background. Can someone help me on how to fix this please? 'w'
To fix this issue follow Wohlstands instructions above my last post.
JeNeVeuxPas
J'ai faim

Post by JeNeVeuxPas »

THANKS!! 'w'
Today, it's my turn!!
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

There are two cheat codes I got from the ASMBXT wiki that I can't seem to get to work:

chipmunktiime - faster running
raocowisswell - enable saving the game after using cheats

Are they misspelled or something?

(Edit) Also, I get this error in World 3 of Episode 1:

Mix_LoadMUS: (base game directory)\music\smb3-world1.mp3
Couldn't open '(base game directory)\music\smb3-world1.mp3'

Indeed, the smb3-world1.mp3 file isn't in the folder. I can get one from a pre-1.3 base game to make it work, though.
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

ano0maly wrote:There are two cheat codes I got from the ASMBXT wiki that I can't seem to get to work:

Indeed, the smb3-world1.mp3 file isn't in the folder. I can get one from a pre-1.3 base game to make it work, though.
Because of the way the mp3's were converted to ogg's you need to do busy work and manually go in and adjust the music to some levels.
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

ano0maly wrote:There are two cheat codes I got from the ASMBXT wiki that I can't seem to get to work:

I think the enable saving cheat is still just redigitiscool like in vanilla SMBX. That wiki page lists what they were supposed to be but I guess raocowisswell never got implemented (since I think it's stored differently in the exe so it was harder to hack). Not sure about the other one, but it might just be the vanilla version too whatever that is.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

docopoper wrote:I think the enable saving cheat is still just redigitiscool like in vanilla SMBX. That wiki page lists what they were supposed to be but I guess raocowisswell never got implemented (since I think it's stored differently in the exe so it was harder to hack). Not sure about the other one, but it might just be the vanilla version too whatever that is.
I confirmed that it's still "redigitiscool".

For the other one (originally "sonicstooslow" in SMBX), apparently it wasn't "chipmunktiime" with two i's, it was "chipmunktimes" with an s at the end.

Something I noticed: when the "NeedAX" codes were changed to "GimmeX", two of the codes that were actually in "NeedAnX" form had their "n" carried over. So "needaniceflower" becomes "gimmeniceflower" and "needanegg" becomes "gimmenegg".
Tobi555 wrote:Because of the way the mp3's were converted to ogg's you need to do busy work and manually go in and adjust the music to some levels.
What's weird about this is that on the base game currently linked in the OP, the World 3 overworld can't detect the overworld music, but on the WIP base game SAJewers linked me in the previous page (I downloaded it back in March-April) it works (plays ow-a2mt-pharoh.ogg), even though I unpacked the exact same version of Episode 1 (the one currently linked in the OP). That would mean the problem is with the base game and not the episode? This is supposed to be a file mapping error and not a case of missing file, since this .ogg file is found in both versions of the base game.

By the way, about my comments regarding the changed sound effects back in March... I can't reproduce that sentiment. The audio effects in Another Castle of World 1 sounded fine and sounded just like how they were before they were supposedly changed... Maybe I just had an older iteration of V1.3 back then, and things reverted since?

I'll also mention that the Episode 1 OST playlist file doesn't work. I guess because the .mp3 music files in the levels were changed to .ogg as well. I wonder if this is why the game lagged so much prior to V1.3.
Rejnka

Post by Rejnka »

when i restart my computer, the A2MBXT smbx.exe vanishes and the folder gets to a way where even if you delete it and make a new folder with the same name, you won't be able to copy SMBX.exe to it. send help
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Rejnka wrote:when i restart my computer, the A2MBXT smbx.exe vanishes and the folder gets to a way where even if you delete it and make a new folder with the same name, you won't be able to copy SMBX.exe to it. send help
I think, you can try the "Unlocker" tool, because some dumb Windows's descriptors are still be.
P.S. Sorry I have no English version of that site, but program itself supports many languages include English. Please use "Зеркало" (translates as "Mirror") link to get right build quickly (other links are will give you a crap to pass before get download)

When you will install and start it, in file context menu will appear unlocker's menu where you can try unlock file with removing locking descriptors from it