(shouting)

SMWCX - Credits

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
The Doctor

Re: SMWCX - Nowhere to Hyde

Post by The Doctor »

raocow, go back in that side room with the Elevator level. You missed something.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I'll try to remember!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Imaynotbehere4long
Gone, but...yeah, pretty much forgotten.

Post by Imaynotbehere4long »

raocow wrote:I'll try to remember!
Just don't watch the credits until after you beat the last level of world 7. Trust me.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)

SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

The number of twists and swerves the Haunted Elevator level--a name no doubt chosen to put one in mind to expect the expected, only to pull the floor out from beneath, as the level itself does twice--throws at the player is truly delightful. Automatic stair replacements have seldom been so cheeky.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

mario visits the tower of terror and then somehow finds his way into an area meant only for disney technicians
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Stink Terios

Re: SMWCX - Pyramid Cave

Post by Stink Terios »

That desert level is just dire. The boss is overwhelming in several different layers and let me tell you: beating it legit is a nightmare.
Crushing as instant death, rinkas, podoboos, and an unmoving, regenerating cloaked Ludwig. Holy hell! And every time you die you have to redo a significant chunk of the level including a pretty difficult thwomp boss.

And everything is compounded by the dull, yellow aesthetics and the awful, awful music.
Imaynotbehere4long

The error message for Metallic Mish Mash must be another beta 3 exclusive bug, because that song works in LunaLua 0.7.3.
My SMBX portfolio:

SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026
Lejes
https://lejes.talkhaus.com/

Post by Lejes »

Placing poorly made bosses long after a midpoint in a huge, punishing level is a running theme in this game. I almost gave up on this level, but I made it through after several hours. Can't wait until raocow gets to the point where I actually did give up.
Quill

Post by Quill »

Oh boy, a level I submitted three years ago is still in the game. I had forgotten about it as well until recently!

So this level was edited at some point. Here's a list of things I noticed.
- The elevator used to sink and rise back up slowly. It was quite a slow process. If I recall correctly, my decision for the slow elevator initially was to help give that 'abandoned temple' vibe with a contraption that isn't quite working as well as it used to. The change to make it a normal elevator is very welcome, though it can make it tricky to go underneath it as you could get squished trying to escape the elevator. raocow got pretty lucky I think.
- Podoboos being added. There were no podoboos in the original level at all. I don't like this change at all , as it makes the two thwomp mini-bosses and the main boss much more difficult than they should be.
- Midpoint was moved slightly to a more obvious spot. That's fair enough.
- Yellow switch when activated activates a barrier that prevents you from going back to the elevator room. A good change as a player might think to head back there when there's nothing new.
- The three switches and the ascending/descending pillar used to have a key that was needed for the boss door. Removing it is a fine decision as it could easily be missed.
- The main thwomp boss used to fall and rise on his own set timer. This could be bad for players doing the battle for the first time as they not expect it, but learning the pattern could save time on getting the P-Switch. I approve of the change to make the boss fall when you run underneath him though, as it makes more logical sense. The podoboos in this room make it way too stressful though.
Stink Terios wrote:That desert level is just dire. The boss is overwhelming in several different layers and let me tell you: beating it legit is a nightmare.
Crushing as instant death, rinkas, podoboos, and an unmoving, regenerating cloaked Ludwig. Holy hell! And every time you die you have to redo a significant chunk of the level including a pretty difficult thwomp boss.

And everything is compounded by the dull, yellow aesthetics and the awful, awful music.
Having to redo a lot of the level if you die was my own fault. It's a silly little thing I used to do when designing levels years ago. Not sure why, but I don't do it anymore. I wish this was changed by the person who edited the level. Oh well.

I don't think the aesthetics or the music are dull. I think they capture the 'desert temple' atmosphere pretty well and they work nicely together. Not sure why you dislike the music so much either, both songs used are pretty fitting . The main music is the Spirit Temple from OoT which was essentially a desert temple and the boss music was the Egg Golem from SA2 which had a similar setting.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Editing levels without consulting the original creators at all still seems pretty sketchy to me. Was there a clear warning that would happen when you submitted it?
Quill

Post by Quill »

Mata Hari wrote:Editing levels without consulting the original creators at all still seems pretty sketchy to me. Was there a clear warning that would happen when you submitted it?
Not that I know of.
Last edited by Quill 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Imaynotbehere4long

In case anyone's curious, this is how raocow's playthrough of Metallic Mish Mash sounds with the proper music playing:

My SMBX portfolio:

Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Quill wrote: I don't think the aesthetics or the music are dull. I think they capture the 'desert temple' atmosphere pretty well and they work nicely together. Not sure why you dislike the music so much either, both songs used are pretty fitting . The main music is the Spirit Temple from OoT which was essentially a desert temple and the boss music was the Egg Golem from SA2 which had a similar setting.
Nah I just have a personal beef with deserts and OoT Temple songs in particular. Also I don't care if something fits if it doesn't sound good.

Egg Golem is perfectly fine.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Mata Hari wrote:Editing levels without consulting the original creators at all still seems pretty sketchy to me. Was there a clear warning that would happen when you submitted it?
That's definitely the case with A2XT. I personally am OK with it, as long as the person editing it understands the original creator's intent with their design choices when they make their edits, and tries to keep it as faithful as possible.

If you're gonna make a change, you should at least know what they were trying to do.
Lejes wrote:Placing poorly made bosses long after a midpoint in a huge, punishing level is a running theme in this game. I almost gave up on this level, but I made it through after several hours. Can't wait until raocow gets to the point where I actually did give up.
To be fair, SMBX level design principals seems to dictate long levels on the whole, and it's hard to have a decent checkpoint and a boss with only 1 checkpoint in vanilla SMBX, without making the level seems short (in comparison) or having luna tower-style shortcuts.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

this is how collaboration games tend to work in general, because if every designer had to be waited on, the games would never get done.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Kshaard
Dodo/
First name: mac5565
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: SMWCX - Lizard

Post by Kshaard »

Any chance of a source for the raocow singing in today's video? I honestly can't place it.
This is someone's signature.

"I don't like that universe I just created by accident . . ."
Imaynotbehere4long

Kshaard wrote:Any chance of a source for the raocow singing in today's video? I honestly can't place it.
The music file actually cites where it's from, right down to the second:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkJgwaf ... e&t=23m00s

Edit: by the way, is the title a reference to anything in particular? I shouldn't need to explain how googling "Lizard" probably won't get me the result I want.
My SMBX portfolio:

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:
Kshaard wrote:Any chance of a source for the raocow singing in today's video? I honestly can't place it.
The music file actually cites where it's from, right down to the second:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkJgwaf ... e&t=23m00s

Edit: by the way, is the title a reference to anything in particular? I shouldn't need to explain how googling "Lizard" probably won't get me the result I want.
http://zeldawiki.org/Lizard
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Kshaard
Dodo/
First name: mac5565

Post by Kshaard »

Ah right. I never watched the MAGLX series, so that explains why I didn't recognise the singing.
This is someone's signature.

"I don't like that universe I just created by accident . . ."
Sebby19

Re: SMWCX - Lava Castle

Post by Sebby19 »

You didn't talk to the hopping Toad after Jolpe's level! And don't forget to talk to the next Toad under the character blocks.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

raocow wrote:video delayed to tomorrow

I just got done with a monster hour and a half recording for CX, and I'll be recording cat planet at the time I'd normally be doing the patreon video.

WE'RE IN FOR ANGRYCOW TOMORROW, BOYS, ALL HANDS ON DECK
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Imaynotbehere4long

Sebby19 wrote:You didn't talk to the hopping Toad after Jolpe's level! And don't forget to talk to the next Toad under the character blocks.
Not only that, but he never spoke to the Toad beside Cheep Cheep Creek, either.
My SMBX portfolio:

Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Today's second level clocks in at 2 minutes 36 seconds. About 36 seconds longer than a punishing no-midpoint autoscroll should be, in my personal opinion.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Yeah, level needed at least 1 checkpoint.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

Was that a normal mario-style level that doesn't go vertically or take you back and forth across a maze of false branching paths? In a central compilation? Madness.