(shouting)

SMW Help Desk; I help you out with SMW related matters

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

SMW Help Desk; I help you out with SMW related matters

Post by Mandew »

What the title says here.

It goes for anyone, really; people completely new at romhacking or people looking for some specific technical information, up to and including looking up something in the disassembly.

Just ask your questions ; doesn't matter how dumb you think said question is or how dumb I think said question is. I'll answer while trying to be as helpful as I can.
video games
EvilMariobot

Re: SMW Help Desk; I help you out with SMW related matters

Post by EvilMariobot »

Okay, I've yet to test the lava fix since I had to take a shower then eat dinner; and I shut down my computer at that time.

So, here's my Issues/questions yet to be resolved

VITAL IDEAS
-Addmusic won't let me add music.
-Rotodiscs are currently flashing squares
FLAVOR
-Adding images from outside to the game
-using Bowser arena blocks in a regular room
IF POSSIBLE
-make foreground blocks a rainbow pallette
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol
Pronouns: she/her

Post by idol »

bowser's arena blocks are GFX file 24

so just change BG2 in Super GFX Bypass to file 24, click "open up 16x16 tile editor", go down 3 or so pages until everything is just that blank 8x8 tiles, click 8x8 tile editing, then click view 8x8 tile selector. select and right click the bowser bricks and put them in.
idol

Post by idol »

if you mean a non-static rainbow palette (like the colors change through the color of the rainbow), that's entirely possible, but that's exanimation.

exanimation tutorial: http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=37112
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

EvilMariobot wrote: -Addmusic won't let me add music.
I believe you mentionned an error going "Sample isn't used in this song", right?

^ Do this and then try running addmusic and it should insert.
video games
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

EvilMariobot wrote: -Rotodiscs are currently flashing squares
Inserting the Rotodiscs ExGFX and using it:
video games
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

EvilMariobot wrote: -using Bowser arena blocks in a regular room
If you were able to insert the Roto-disc GFX (following previous post instructions), then you should be able to do it using the GFX file and Map16 file I've included as attachment in this post.

The only new information you need to be aware of is this:

Don't be afraid to ask if you're not quite sure.
Attachments
bowserbricksGFX.zip
Bowser bricks GFX file + map16
(2.28 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
video games
EvilMariobot

Post by EvilMariobot »

-Lava fix is success
-Rotodisc fix is success
-Music insertion says it's success, but I don't know how to access it (also, the "welcome to dinosaur land" screen is now playing "Plains" music)
-Bricks insertion is success (I just need to know how to add thunder and make my own graphics; also a goal sphere will be going in there)
-Rainbow palette put on hold for now (that whole thing looks brain melty)
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

Right, right, to use music in a level:

Also I don't really remember what process to use in order to make sure Addmusic doesn't mess up what music is used for what, so I'm gonna have to look that up.

Edit: As for the lightning, SpriteTool has this handy sprite. You only need to insert this as something between D0 and DF. Then you put it in the level just like you do with Roto-discs.

video games
EvilMariobot

Post by EvilMariobot »

Mandew wrote:Right, right, to use music in a level:

Also I don't really remember what process to use in order to make sure Addmusic doesn't mess up what music is used for what, so I'm gonna have to look that up.

Edit: As for the lightning, SpriteTool has this handy sprite. You only need to insert this as something between D0 and DF. Then you put it in the level just like you do with Roto-discs.

I got the lightning inserted, I'm not seeing an SP4 for it, and I'm not seeing the inserted music in the music list

Sorry to keep bugging you like this :oops:
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

EvilMariobot wrote:
Mandew wrote:Right, right, to use music in a level:

I got the lightning inserted, I'm not seeing an SP4 for it, and I'm not seeing the inserted music in the music list

Sorry to keep bugging you like this :oops:
The lightning has no SP4, and Lunar Magic doesn't innately know where your music is (unless you have a specific file in your rom folder, it's going to show up as "Not Inserted" despite actually being, in fact, inserted) but as long as you select the Index that you inserted it as in AddMusic, it'll work fine.
video games
EvilMariobot

Post by EvilMariobot »

Mandew wrote:The lightning has no SP4, and Lunar Magic doesn't innately know where your music is (unless you have a specific file in your rom folder, it's going to show up as "Not Inserted" despite actually being, in fact, inserted) but as long as you select the Index that you inserted it as in AddMusic, it'll work fine.
For the Lightning: what do I put where, then?

For the Music: I selected the index for my music as it appears in the readme, but it just plays the coin sound effect. Oookaaay, somehow it fixed itself? :?:

(Ach, I'm bad at this. *Dies*)
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

EvilMariobot wrote:
Mandew wrote:The lightning has no SP4, and Lunar Magic doesn't innately know where your music is (unless you have a specific file in your rom folder, it's going to show up as "Not Inserted" despite actually being, in fact, inserted) but as long as you select the Index that you inserted it as in AddMusic, it'll work fine.
For the Lightning: what do I put where, then?

For the Music: I selected the index for my music as it appears in the readme, but it just plays the coin sound effect. Oookaaay, somehow it fixed itself? :?:

(Ach, I'm bad at this. *Dies*)
The Lightning just has no graphics files needed - you just put Sprite D0 (extra bit 2) or whatever you inserted it as, in your level and it'll make it do lightning shenanigans.

Note that is has to be inserted as somewhere between D0 and DF.
video games
EvilMariobot

Post by EvilMariobot »

Mandew wrote:The Lightning just has no graphics files needed - you just put Sprite D0 (extra bit 2) or whatever you inserted it as, in your level and it'll make it do lightning shenanigans.

Note that is has to be inserted as somewhere between D0 and DF.
Thanks for all the help; but I decided to go on with everything as is for now. I appreciate the assist; and if I need any more help, I know where to go.

(this seems like a good topic to sticky if you ask me)
EvilMariobot

Post by EvilMariobot »

Well, now I have a problem. The message box in the goal room is blank when I enter from the previous room, but if I enter straight from the overworld level I used the room for, it shows up fine. (I have the goal room set at the same level index as Valley Fortress)
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

EvilMariobot wrote:Well, now I have a problem. The message box in the goal room is blank when I enter from the previous room, but if I enter straight from the overworld level I used the room for, it shows up fine. (I have the goal room set at the same level index as Valley Fortress)
When you make a message box: What matters is the level you enter from the overworld exclusively. Basically, the messages are loaded when you enter a level from the overworld.

So if your level goes from Level 001 to level 005, and the message box is within the area "005", the text should be entered for level 001.
video games
EvilMariobot

Post by EvilMariobot »

Mandew wrote:When you make a message box: What matters is the level you enter from the overworld exclusively. Basically, the messages are loaded when you enter a level from the overworld.

So if your level goes from Level 001 to level 005, and the message box is within the area "005", the text should be entered for level 001.
Good to know. I made the appropriate adjustments.
EvilMariobot

Post by EvilMariobot »

In my second room, the Rotodiscs are footballs. how do I fix this (preferably so I can keep the volcano plants from being glithced)?

Also, how do I get Layer 2 to bob up and down? Never mind, figured that out already.
EvilMariobot

Post by EvilMariobot »

I figured out the Layer 2 issue myself, but I still need to know how to fix the rotodisks.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

How simple is it to make NPCs that can't hurt you or collide with you in any way? `~` Like basically "friendly" NPCs in SMBx.

Also, I am toying with the idea of using more than two message boxes in my level, as in to have more than two unique messages display, but I also don't know anything about that.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

I'm not Mandew but I can try to help anyway since there's a few days left for them magls~
TaviTurnip wrote:How simple is it to make NPCs that can't hurt you or collide with you in any way? `~` Like basically "friendly" NPCs in SMBx.

Also, I am toying with the idea of using more than two message boxes in my level, as in to have more than two unique messages display, but I also don't know anything about that.
You can make custom map16 tiles acting as tile 25 to make "friendly npcs". You'll need to use ExAnimation in order to have them animate though (I have never played with exanimation but there's a tutorial here: http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=77300#part3).

I also think you can use the "Display Message 1" sprite multiple times on the same screen to have it show more messages by "borrowing" from higher numbered levels. I know someguy712 did this for his VLDC9 entry.
But you'll need custom sprites if you want more than 2 message boxes for more messages.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
idol

Post by idol »

TaviTurnip wrote:How simple is it to make NPCs that can't hurt you or collide with you in any way? `~` Like basically "friendly" NPCs in SMBx.

http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=3717
http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=6781
they might be a bit complicated, so make sure to read the readme's and ask for help if you choose to use these
Kshaard
Dodo/
First name: mac5565
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Kshaard »

I guess this counts as necroing, but whatever.

Is there a list for which block IDs have what function (in the map16 area)? I mean, there's the ubiquitous 1f8 and all, but what do all the numbers in between signify?
This is someone's signature.

"I don't like that universe I just created by accident . . ."
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Kshaard wrote:I guess this counts as necroing, but whatever.

Is there a list for which block IDs have what function (in the map16 area)? I mean, there's the ubiquitous 1f8 and all, but what do all the numbers in between signify?
A comprehensive list of these would be nice (RIP smwiki). A lot of them are tileset-specific or various types of slopes. The ones I know by heart are 1F and 20 for door halves, 25 for empty space, 130 for the "concrete" generic solid, and the 1Fx row all act as the same thing for the purple triangles
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)