(shouting)

El Gurdyioza: A SMBXtroidvania feat. Sheath

wanna make a game, or anything else? seminal bloom!
Imaynotbehere4long
Gone, but...yeah, pretty much forgotten.

Re: El Gurdyioza: A SMBXtroidvania feat. Sheath

Post by Imaynotbehere4long »

ztarwuff wrote:I just can't decide what theme to go for. I'm torn between the following options:

1. Heaven
2. Hell

Not sure which would be funnier.
Maybe you could combine the two, then have a sign saying that you couldn't decide between the two, so you just went with both.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)

SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:
ztarwuff wrote:I just can't decide what theme to go for. I'm torn between the following options:

1. Heaven
2. Hell

Not sure which would be funnier.
Maybe you could combine the two, then have a sign saying that you couldn't decide between the two, so you just went with both.
I think the sign might end up being construed as lazy.

My other option, which I failed to list was either Heaven full of devils or Hell full of angels. I think I might go with Heaven full of Devils.
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

Just wanted to post a little update. I'm kind of concerned about how unfun the game will be if I don't add LunaLua, so I'm going to actually break my initial rule about LunaLua. And seeing as a new launcher has been developed that doesn't get flagged as a virus, most of my fears have evaporated. However, I'm also concerned about the fact that LunaLua is being updated. Well, to summarise:
  • The levels will still be connected via Vanilla means. No fancy LunaLua.
  • Saving will also be vanilla.
  • Events will also be triggered through use of axes and collectable leeks, so, no LunaLua involved.
  • The events themselves might be LunaLua.
  • I'll be working on the vanilla side of the project and will work LunaLua in afterwards.
Now, there's going to be a few delays. Firstly, I want to wait to see how LunaLua deveops, so that's going to put in a delay on the final product. Secondly, I don't want to suffer burn out so I'm taking a small break from level designing. Got to also remember to actually play some games to get inspiration.
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

Update time!

Oh gosh. Looks like upgrading to Windows 10 broke something, because I'm getting LunaLua Pointer errors when I open up my levels in the SMBX Editor. Going to have to reinstall the A2XT kit from scratch just to be on the safe side.

Also, I'm debating about whether I should make this a group project because I'm running out of ideas. Mind you, the amount of coordination involved would be insane, not to mention I'd really prefer it if I kept creational control over this product.
Imaynotbehere4long

ztarwuff wrote:I'm debating about whether I should make this a group project because I'm running out of ideas.
Here's what I do when I'm running out of ideas, and I think it's quite simple to do:
1)In your new section, select one of the boundary options under Level Settings (Right usually works), then hold the left mouse button, shift, and the arrow-key-that-points-in-the-same-direction-as-the-boundary-you-selected for about five seconds.

2) Select a block from whatever tile-set you're using (the center one works best, if there is one), then hold shift and the arrow key that points in the other direction while moving the mouse cursor up and down the screen, rapidly clicking so that blocks are only placed occasionally rather than being one long sine curve.

3)Once you've made it back to the beginning of the section, go back and look at your new block placements, compare them with whatever enemy AIs you plan on using, and think to yourself what can I do with this? It shouldn't take too long for you to come up with ideas now that you have some block placements to work with. Now you just have to polish the block placements so they look intentional, add your enemies, and test the level, changing anything that's a bit too easy or too hard.

That might seem crazy, but that's pretty much how I made Little Ruins, and the lowest score that got was a 58/90, which I think is pretty good.
My SMBX portfolio:

SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

Hey, guys! Just a little bit of development news here:

I've inevitably had to decide to give up the major premise of only using Vanilla SMBX to save progress. Primarily, the reason is because of deaths. I need LunaLua to force player spawn locations. Once I've figured that out, it's good to go. That comes later, though.

I've also finally come up with a concept to replace Stage 4. None of this light-darkness stuff. It's been done to death. No, I'm going to be using an idea that I'll be showcasing in the latest A2XT episode.

(Also homing goopas make fantastic searchlights).
Imaynotbehere4long

ztarwuff wrote:Primarily, the reason is because of deaths. I need LunaLua to force player spawn locations.
You could do what Mario Prime did and have various "save points" that warp the player to a specific point on the world map. The player can save there, then enter the "level" to go back to where the "save point" is.
My SMBX portfolio:

ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

ztarwuff wrote:Primarily, the reason is because of deaths. I need LunaLua to force player spawn locations.
You could do what Mario Prime did and have various "save points" that warp the player to a specific point on the world map. The player can save there, then enter the "level" to go back to where the "save point" is.
Whoops! I just realised I came up with a vanilla idea a few posts back. Well, I'll decide on which one to go with after I've finished the main meat of the game.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

I'm not sure where exactly you're at at this point in time, but I'm certainly interested to see where this is headed!
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

swirlybomb wrote:I'm not sure where exactly you're at at this point in time, but I'm certainly interested to see where this is headed!
At the moment? Boss battles are missing from all stages, but Stages 1, 2 and 3 are complete and all the various links between them are complete. I've got some neat interlevel interactions going on powered by carefully positioned collectable leeks.

In fact, I've got a playable demo right here. There's actually a filler boss in Stage 1, but I'm not too happy with it, so the boss you fight against in the demo will not be there in the final product.

Stages 4 and 5 are included in the demo and are accessible, but they're not playable.
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

Update Time: I'm running into huge problems with collected leeks respawning, so I'm forced to use LunaLua to save progress. It kinda means I have to redo the flow of some levels.

Also, to save time, I'm cutting the number of levels.
Imaynotbehere4long

ztarwuff wrote:I'm running into huge problems with collected leeks respawning
If that's happening with SMW leeks, make sure their layers aren't hidden and you'll be alright (e.g. instead of having its layer shown after beating a boss or whatever, have it stuck in a wall, and when the event is triggered, have the wall disappear).

Remember that SMB3 leeks will always respawn; it's in their nature.
My SMBX portfolio:

ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

ztarwuff wrote:I'm running into huge problems with collected leeks respawning
If that's happening with SMW leeks, make sure their layers aren't hidden and you'll be alright (e.g. instead of having its layer shown after beating a boss or whatever, have it stuck in a wall, and when the event is triggered, have the wall disappear).

Remember that SMB3 leeks will always respawn; it's in their nature.
I could have sworn the problem was occurring when they weren't on layers, but I guess I should have another go at it.
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

Update time!

I've been making some good headway into this project of mine. At the moment, the Heaven/Hell idea from a few posts back is getting a bit on the weird side, so I'm also investigating a LunaLua code that reduces lives to zero so that when a player dies, the player always has to restart from the title screen. Player respawn problem solved! Or so I hope. If that gets a bit too frustrating, I'll look back into the Heaven/Hell idea.

I'd also thought I'd display a few more screenshots.

This one here's the Sand Temple again. See those holes in the floor to the left of the life counter? Spikes rise out of those. I'm currently using the SMB3 Piranha plant sprites, but the problem with those is that they can be killed.

Above is a screenshot from the Water Tower. There's a horizontal wrap-around all the screens in the level so in this particular shot, to get to the platform above, the player has to keep jumping left.

And here's the new Stage 4, the Chamber of Revolution. I'm reusing a gimmick from an A2XT Episode 2 level I made but am applying it on a huge scale. That's 20 plus screens that have to be meticulously crafted to ensure the player can never get stuck. See the goobat hanging in mid-air? In the final version, it'll be hanging from a pole.

I'm also going to be using LunaLua to create Switch Palace technology.

I'll also be using the raocoin lunalua technology too, hence the raocoin in shot. The idea is to have the player unlock the fireball/flight/ice etc abilities with collected raocoins. I tried not having this, but some of the quests were ridiculously evil in vanilla SMBX form. There's one where a player has to grab a powerup from one stage and cross three stages to get to a fourth without once getting hit. I realised that was a bit harsh so hopefully LunaLua will save the day.

Anyway, Stage 4 is taking a huge amount of time, so big delay there.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

iirc LunaLua has onHarm and onKill events you can use to cancel any damage to those piranha plants.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

Rockythechao wrote:iirc LunaLua has onHarm and onKill events you can use to cancel any damage to those piranha plants.
The LunaLua wiki doesn't mention those events. How do I use them?
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

http://wohlsoft.ru/pgewiki/LunaLua_events
My bad, it's onNPCKill and probably onNPCHarm... the latter doesn't seem to be on the page, though I recall it being discussed in the SMBX 2.0 dev channel. Just got informed that I was mistaken and onNPCHarm isn't a thing.

But now that I think about it, you shouldn't need the harm event, just onNPCKill. Try this code:

Code: Select all

local invincibleNPCs = {}
invincibleNPCs[8] = true

function onNPCKill(eventObj, killedNPC, killReason)
    if invincibleNPCs[killedNPC.id] ~= nil  then
        eventObj.cancelled = true
    end
end

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

Rockythechao wrote:http://wohlsoft.ru/pgewiki/LunaLua_events
My bad, it's onNPCKill and probably onNPCHarm... the latter doesn't seem to be on the page, though I recall it being discussed in the SMBX 2.0 dev channel. Just got informed that I was mistaken and onNPCHarm isn't a thing.

But now that I think about it, you shouldn't need the harm event, just onNPCKill. Try this code:

invincibleNPCs[8] = true

if invincibleNPCs[killedNPC.id] ~= nil  then
    end
end
It kind of works. Was I supposed to copy it wholesale? Whenever something kills the NPC, it doesn't die, but it moves to the left/right forever.

I also tried altering the killreason with a number as stated in the wiki, but that seemed to just break the code.
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Ah, hm. You should be able to fix that by clamping them to their spawn positions.

API.load ("pnpc")
invincibleNPCs[8] = true

// Store spawn positions in the NPCs' pnpc references
function onStart ()
    for  k,v in pairs (NPC.get(8, -1))  do
        local pnpcRef = pnpc.wrap(v)
        pnpcRef.data.startX = v.x
        pnpcRef.data.startY = v.y
    end
end

// When killed, cancel the kill and reset the NPC's position and speed
    if invincibleNPCs[killedNPC.id] ~= nil  and  killReason ~= 9  then
        local pnpcRef = pnpc.wrap(killedNPC)
        pnpcRef.x = pnpcRef.data.startX
        pnpcRef.y = pnpcRef.data.startY
        pnpcRef.speedX = 0
        pnpcRef.speedY = 0
    end
end

ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

Rockythechao wrote:Ah, hm. You should be able to fix that by clamping them to their spawn positions.

API.load ("pnpc")
invincibleNPCs[8] = true

// Store spawn positions in the NPCs' pnpc references
function onStart ()
    for  k,v in pairs (NPC.get(8, -1))  do
        local pnpcRef = pnpc.wrap(v)
        pnpcRef.data.startX = v.x
        pnpcRef.data.startY = v.y
    end
end

// When killed, cancel the kill and reset the NPC's position and speed
    if invincibleNPCs[killedNPC.id] ~= nil  and  killReason ~= 9  then
        local pnpcRef = pnpc.wrap(killedNPC)
        pnpcRef.x = pnpcRef.data.startX
        pnpcRef.y = pnpcRef.data.startY
        pnpcRef.speedX = 0
        pnpcRef.speedY = 0
    end
end
Unfortunately that didn't seem to do anything. I'm resorting to using blocks and layers instead, because I just realised I needed the spikes to come up regardless of a player's proximity to the hole which the npc just doesn't do.

Thanks for the help, though.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Hey just wondering what's been happening with this, since it was a neat concept.
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

ano0maly wrote: 5 years ago Hey just wondering what's been happening with this, since it was a neat concept.
It's been on hiatus for a very long time.

For some reason, I can't open up my files in the old SMBX, so I migrated everything to SMBX2.0. None of my custom files seem to load in the SMBX editor bundled with SMBX2.0, and the PGE editor is still in alpha stage, so I have to load it up as if I was playing a new game. SMBX2.0 doesn't seem to be at the stage to allow me to properly develop a game at the moment, so I thought I'd wait for a more advanced SMBX2.0 to be released.

I'm also very tempted to cut down on the levels in order to make the project easier to complete.
ztarwuff

Re: El Gurdyioza: Good News!

Post by ztarwuff »

I managed to fix my copy of the original SMBX editor not too long after my last post, and I've made some serious headway. I've been doing some minor tweaks of the completed stages, and have nearly completed Stages 4: Chamber of Revolution and Stage 5: [INFORMATION REDACTED].

Stage 4: Chamber of Revolution

This one has been a nightmare to work on. The main level is a 24-screen section with an upside-down version in another section. Once you obtain a specific leek in the level, it unlocks doors that allow you to swap between the rightway-up and the upside-down. It's basically Stone Tower Temple, the level. The green blocks are re-sprited pipes that fall into place as you "rotate" the level.

Stage 6: Tomb of the Unknown Hero.

Yeah, it's an ice stage. Only the ice is slippery. The snow, not so much. I'm tempted to put some mild quicksand physics on the snow to simulate the impeded movement that usually comes with it.

Also, hidden in each of the levels, except Chamber of Revolution, is one secret entrance to the final level. Chamber of Revolution holds the main entrance. The idea is that each secret entrance, only accessible after beating a level's boss, leads to a leek that slowly unlocks access to the last part of the final level.

Speaking of which, here's the first boss in the game:

It's a completely vanilla SMBX boss, but I'm quite proud of the simplicity of its concept. It's SMB3 Bowser, but only the top and bottom layer of bricks can be broken by him. The ones in the middle can only be broken by Sheath. I initially had alternating layers of blocks, but it made the fight way too long. Sheath is very susceptible to being caught underneath SMB3 Bowser, so anything that dragged the fight out made it too unfun.

Oh, and one more thing. I need a bit of help. What should I call these guys?

They're basically Toads with Koopa shells in place of mushroom caps.
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

Now that raocow is playing La Mulana, to which this project is kind of inspired by, I thought I'd give a progress update. Yes, there's a section of the game that's inspired by THAT level in La Mulana. Hopefully, though I've left enough visual cues to stop it from being too frustrating.

Also, I've created a map system. I've currently got the map set to the select button, but need to get the game to pause and display system information such as the music that's currently playing, the number of collected red coins.

KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Lookin' good. Are you making the map screen in Lua or?

ztarwuff wrote: Oh, and one more thing. I need a bit of help. What should I call these guys?

They're basically Toads with Koopa shells in place of mushroom caps.
Tort (as in tortoise)

I mean if Toads are called Toads (as in toadstool)
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*