(shouting)

the 'raocow has a patreon' thread

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Giik

Re: the 'raocow has a patreon' thread

Post by Giik »

ACesspoolofHatred wrote:
Giik wrote:oh shit

i might need to PM raocow about SCP since i'm working on a patch that fixes a bunch of stuff and redoes a sort of extra bonus thing because it felt very sloppy and bad

main game is fine though, i'm just not sure how fast he'll be able to find the extra bonus thing
well, how far along is it????

you've probably got 'til big fish legend and mega man square root are done. which could... be a while!
oh ok

phew

the extra bonus thing isn't that far along but i got everything else i needed done

and given how low-budget new areas are i can get it done pretty quickly, the thing that takes the most time is coding new traps and stuff
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Le Neveu de Rameau wrote:I'm genuinely curious where raocow's Faxaversion comes from, considering he's spoken non-disparagingly of Zelda 2, and Faxandu's essentially what Zelda 2 would be if it weren't a conga line of bad decisions.
The thing everyone forgets about Faxanadu is that it is very unfriendly to unfamiliar players, and it's punishing in ways you wouldn't expect. I could go on at length about it, but here are the highlights (and they're somewhat spoilery):
  • The difficulty balance... isn't balanced at all. It lets up a little during the World of Branch, but for the most part it gets hard quick and keeps ramping up from there
  • Encourages counterproductive grinding early in the game
  • An optional area that's presented in dialogue as being mandatory, and completing it makes the game harder due to a programming error
  • Two dungeons with a Lost Woods mechanic back-to-back, one of which is the final dungeon
  • leveling up makes power ups last for less time
  • you can't honestly sit there and tell me you enjoy the second major area (the Burning Mist section, which contains aforementioned optional area)
[/spoiler]
And yes, I know what I'm talking about when I say all of that.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Jesuiscontent wrote:2.5 Falcom games and the best metroidvania in years are in the list, but are downboated to hell because waaaah anime graphics
Instead we get super cat planet because memes (and it's not even the same creator)???

At least there's mischief makers... And shovel knight I guess although the differences are really not that much
Axiom Verge did pretty well though?
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

I think the best treatment of Faxanadu some day would be a joint LP between raocow and Horikawa.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

If Kirby and the Amazing Mirror made it any higher, I wonder if raocow would be willing and try to Netplay it with 3 other talkhausers? Scheduling would be the biggest hurdle though.

Since it would still be his LP, I wonder if he would take a leadership role? A funny thought.

If that ever happens, I call Green Kirby.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Jesuiscontent wrote:
Willhart wrote:The trailers video did probably have a lot of effect on some of the placements too.
I'm convinced the fact that raocow said faxanadu was a terrible game is what made it get so many negative votes and I'm

VERY MAD

about it

Which is weird, because even if I didn't know the game, to me the fact that raocow thinks it's horrible would be a #1 reason to vote for it
At least you don't get the sense that people downvoted your nominations to oblivion because

they hate you

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Cirno

Post by Cirno »

Sebby19 wrote:If Kirby and the Amazing Mirror made it any higher, I wonder if raocow would be willing and try to Netplay it with 3 other talkhausers? Scheduling would be the biggest hurdle though.
Last I checked a couple years ago, GBA netplay was terrible. Massive latency, incredibly low framerate, etc. I'm sure it's playable on a LAN, but beyond that, I'm pretty skeptical that it's improved massively. Probably not feasible, though I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Cirno wrote:
Sebby19 wrote:If Kirby and the Amazing Mirror made it any higher, I wonder if raocow would be willing and try to Netplay it with 3 other talkhausers? Scheduling would be the biggest hurdle though.
Last I checked a couple years ago, GBA netplay was terrible. Massive latency, incredibly low framerate, etc. I'm sure it's playable on a LAN, but beyond that, I'm pretty skeptical that it's improved massively. Probably not feasible, though I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
GBA multiplayer expects a super-low ping, because it's supposed to occur between two systems connected by a short cable. So netplay becomes near impossible when you have to try to emulate that same system between two computers basically any difference apart.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

raekuul wrote:
Le Neveu de Rameau wrote:I'm genuinely curious where raocow's Faxaversion comes from, considering he's spoken non-disparagingly of Zelda 2, and Faxandu's essentially what Zelda 2 would be if it weren't a conga line of bad decisions.
The thing everyone forgets about Faxanadu is that it is very unfriendly to unfamiliar players, and it's punishing in ways you wouldn't expect. I could go on at length about it, but here are the highlights (and they're somewhat spoilery):
  • The difficulty balance... isn't balanced at all. It lets up a little during the World of Branch, but for the most part it gets hard quick and keeps ramping up from there
  • Encourages counterproductive grinding early in the game
  • An optional area that's presented in dialogue as being mandatory, and completing it makes the game harder due to a programming error
  • Two dungeons with a Lost Woods mechanic back-to-back, one of which is the final dungeon
  • leveling up makes power ups last for less time
  • you can't honestly sit there and tell me you enjoy the second major area (the Burning Mist section, which contains aforementioned optional area)
[/spoiler]
And yes, I know what I'm talking about when I say all of that.
All of these are pretty much nitpicks except for the black onyx bullshit (and even then, there's a patch to fix it nowadays).
What do you mean it's "not balanced"? Yeah, you're going to die a lot. That's why the leveling system exists, the punishment for dying is very light.
World of mist is definitely the worst part of the game, but it's really not that bad. You don't even have to stay in it for very long at all unless you like exploring.
I don't understand what you're referring to by "lost woods mechanic", unless you mean that the last dungeon is a maze?
Also "encourages grinding"? Do you really think any new player is going to waste 1 hour killing hopping skulls just because they saw an optional "DEATH" selling for 10000 gold, when they can just walk past it?

I mean... I beat the game when I was 12 and I didn't understand 90% of the english in this game back then (except for the few parts that were in the "translation manual" bundled with the game). And you beat it as well, right? You figured the game out, so why would it be any more difficult for someone else?

thatguyif wrote:At least you don't get the sense that people downvoted your nominations to oblivion because

they hate you

That I'd have understood ! But except rabi-ribi none of these were my suggestions

raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Jesuiscontent wrote:I mean... I beat the game when I was 12 and I didn't understand 90% of the english in this game back then (except for the few parts that were in the "translation manual" bundled with the game).
How long did you take, how frustrated did you get, and did you have help from others (willing or not)
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

raekuul wrote:
Jesuiscontent wrote:I mean... I beat the game when I was 12 and I didn't understand 90% of the english in this game back then (except for the few parts that were in the "translation manual" bundled with the game).
How long did you take, how frustrated did you get, and did you have help from others (willing or not)
Hard to say. I did have someone playing it with me at first when I was very young (~7-8 yrs old?) so I did know a bit about it when I finally beat it by myself later (when I was about 12... I think). I don't remember getting frustrated at all though, but this is maybe selective and fuzzy memory !

But let me ask you again, you did beat it yourself, right? And on video no less. Why would it be harder than that for someone else?

Like, I understand what you mean. The game is not a breeze to go through by any means, there are a lot of parts where you'll die and need to try more than once, and some obscure shit that is only explained by a single NPC in a random inn. But is that really a bad thing? For me it's a lot more interesting and fun to actively have to pay attention, think for solutions, or getting my ass beat a few times, than a game where you just plow through everything mindlessly and forget a week after, like half the games of the top 10 winners are.

raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Jesuiscontent wrote:But let me ask you again, you did beat it yourself, right? And on video no less. Why would it be harder than that for someone else?
I did beat it on video. That was far from my first time playing it, which is the crux of my point. If rao's not played it before, he's going to have a hell of a time with it. If he has, then that would explain why his opinion is what it is.

Ultimately, while it's a game I enjoy, it's not something that rao's style of play would present favorably, particularly if he's unfamiliar with it.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Augh FML I wanted to play sqrt-1 blind at some point. This timing is unfavorable!
Hell I might just do it right now then.

Maybe next time Rabi-Ribi will have a better chance =(
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Cirno wrote:Last I checked a couple years ago, GBA netplay was terrible. Massive latency, incredibly low framerate, etc. I'm sure it's playable on a LAN, but beyond that, I'm pretty skeptical that it's improved massively. Probably not feasible, though I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
Ometeotl wrote:GBA multiplayer expects a super-low ping, because it's supposed to occur between two systems connected by a short cable. So netplay becomes near impossible when you have to try to emulate that same system between two computers basically any difference apart.
Welp, there goes that dream.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Giik

Post by Giik »

yo, i guess this is as general of a thread as it gets, but is there a way to see what games he has lined up to do next? I'm working on patches for SCP and I'm not sure how much I should panic yet.
ACesspoolofHatred
What vision is this? What happens to the world?!

Post by ACesspoolofHatred »

Giik wrote:yo, i guess this is as general of a thread as it gets, but is there a way to see what games he has lined up to do next? I'm working on patches for SCP and I'm not sure how much I should panic yet.
He's doing Mega Man next.

After that is Super Cat Planet.

So some amount of panic is warranted!
I have no social media presence, my only purpose here is to dismay and terrify you all, and I hope to continue to do so - Me, on one of Duvi0's Drawful streams
Y'know, Cesspool, that is, like, honestly... That was what I expected from you, and y'know what? That's my favorite thing that anyone does, specifically. Cesspool I adore you. - Duvi0 that same stream
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Giik wrote:yo, i guess this is as general of a thread as it gets, but is there a way to see what games he has lined up to do next? I'm working on patches for SCP and I'm not sure how much I should panic yet.
8 "robot masters" = eight days of videos, plus "Wily" stages = probably less than a week's worth. Also he records the day before.

I'd give you just less than 2 weeks. 10 days at worse. Oh, but if you really need more time, Super Cat Planet was actually a 9th place draw with Mischief Makers. So you could message raocow and ask him to play that first, which would give you anywhere from a few more weeks to a month IIRC how long that it.
Last edited by BobisOnlyBob 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

though both 9th places are tied so if it helps you out, I can do the other 9th place first.
and this doesn,t consider the possibility of another short-term thing between games.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

raocow wrote:though both 9th places are tied so if it helps you out, I can do the other 9th place first.
and this doesn,t consider the possibility of another short-term thing between games.
literally posted the same time as my edit!!
Giik

Post by Giik »

BobisOnlyBob wrote:
8 "robot masters" = eight days of videos, plus "Wily" stages = probably less than a week's worth. Also he records the day before.

I'd give you just less than 2 weeks. 10 days at worse. Oh, but if you really need more time, Super Cat Planet was actually a 9th place draw with Mischief Makers. So you could message raocow and ask him to play that first, which would give you anywhere from a few more weeks to a month IIRC how long that it.
That actually sounds like more than enough time. Patch is coming along better than expected and feels way more polished. I got dis.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Giik wrote:
BobisOnlyBob wrote:

That actually sounds like more than enough time. Patch is coming along better than expected and feels way more polished. I got dis.
+2-4 days to my estimate because Mega Man √-1 just had an extra surprise and I'm not sure if he'll do 1 per day or double up depending on how easy/hard they are.
Giik

Post by Giik »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: +2-4 days to my estimate because Mega Man √-1 just had an extra surprise and I'm not sure if he'll do 1 per day or double up depending on how easy/hard they are.
Oh i'm already done with it, no worries. xD
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

Man, the Mario jumping extra life is such a good point >_> Even if you know you have no hope of hitting eight enemies, you always want to try because it's just a micro-sized achievement that feels really good if you can get it. It's just like "aww yeah I'm the best" and yeah. That isn't allowed to go away :(
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
ACesspoolofHatred
What vision is this? What happens to the world?!

Post by ACesspoolofHatred »

re: the depression thing

I'mma just drop this here

I have no social media presence, my only purpose here is to dismay and terrify you all, and I hope to continue to do so - Me, on one of Duvi0's Drawful streams
Y'know, Cesspool, that is, like, honestly... That was what I expected from you, and y'know what? That's my favorite thing that anyone does, specifically. Cesspool I adore you. - Duvi0 that same stream
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I'm delaying the video to tomorow due to family reasons (positive) (grandfather's 80th birthday, the whole family is around)
the chillaxest of dragonsImage