(shouting)

The Haus of Talk Thread

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: Twitter Thread

Post by Alice »

cats-on-ice wrote:Don't ever let anyone tell you you can't be friends with someone you've never met irl.
People who think that are really dumb anyways and thus not worth listening to.
Pikabread
we're gonna talk about e
First name: lily
Pronouns: she/her/xe/xem

Post by Pikabread »

if it weren't for my online friends I probably wouldn't still be sane, so I absolutely appreciate y'all
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

Why does every locale act the same way about their weather as if they're somehow unique

Iowa? Ireland? California? Ontario? England? Hey guys we're the ONLY PLACE who has summers too hot, winters too cold, humidity out the llama's ass, and no way to deal with it. I'm going to wear my suffering on my sleeve and make sure you absolutely understand that it's ONLY MY LOCATION that goes through this.

Seriously, there is some kind of insistence on being the victim like everyone online that people feel the need to like bold and highlight their state/country when talking about it and having no idea about their neighbors next door who go through the same thing.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
FancyFancy

Post by FancyFancy »

So that applies to the tens of thousands of Facebook friends some people have?
FILMED IN
ImageImage
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Retroarch is building a Low Level Emulation graphics plugin-and-emulator set, designed around the Vulkan API - the net effect is far better accuracy and far less processing penalties. Good news if you have a GPU at least as recent as this January, irrelevant news if you don't.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

I need to do something today probably
Alice

Post by Alice »

Mata Hari wrote:I need to do something today probably
Doing things is overrated.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Mata Hari wrote:I need to do something today probably
You and me both. I know what I want to do, but it's a time sink. Guess I better do something else in the meantime while I have some free time for a change. It's been a while.
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

I did go outside and I ate a lot of meats :0
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

SoftBank bought out ARM.
(Read: Computer nerd stuff happened.)

This is... a really big move.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I can't believe how many people honestly argue that defining a mass shooting as "4 or more people shot" is absurd.

If you think near daily incidents of 4 or more people being shot in the US is not an issue, you obviously just do not care. I suppose if you're to the point of arguing the semantics of a mass shooting, it should already be assumed that you don't care.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

See, the problem with America and guns is that most people put the weapons over the people. Totally need an amendment on that Second Amendment because too many stupid people have access to them now and light up the night over and over. Doesn't help that the NRA spends way too much time talking and when challenged, go silent. Case in point, they shut up after two black people were executed recently in back-to-back days but quickly spoke out when Dallas, also a disgusting situation, happened.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

finally got around to watching steven universe and i have been routinely emotionally compromised since yesterday as a result so that's fun
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sasquatch
Don't mess with sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

TaviTurnip wrote:Why does every locale act the same way about their weather as if they're somehow unique

Iowa? Ireland? California? Ontario? England? Hey guys we're the ONLY PLACE who has summers too hot, winters too cold, humidity out the llama's ass, and no way to deal with it. I'm going to wear my suffering on my sleeve and make sure you absolutely understand that it's ONLY MY LOCATION that goes through this.

Seriously, there is some kind of insistence on being the victim like everyone online that people feel the need to like bold and highlight their state/country when talking about it and having no idea about their neighbors next door who go through the same thing.
I'm irritated by people who talk about a state/district/country/etc. as if it has only one climate. Oregon and Washington, for example, are famous for cool, rainy weather and huge evergreens. Except, the eastern halves of both states are practically deserts, or at least way drier than anything west of the Cascades. Even in the wettest parts of the states, summer is bone-dry. Oh, and some people literally think that Washington has the worst climate in the country because it's so rainy in the winter. Most areas have crappy weather during some part of the year. The Midwest and most of Canada have bone-chilling winters and the South and Southwest have miserable summers. All in all, the Northwest (at least the Willamette Valley and Puget Lowlands) has probably the best climate in North America: not much snow and dry, comfortable summers. I just wish we actually got thunderstorms once in a while.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

Sasquatch wrote:I'm irritated by people who talk about a state/district/country/etc. as if it has only one climate. Oregon and Washington, for example, are famous for cool, rainy weather and huge evergreens. Except, the eastern halves of both states are practically deserts, or at least way drier than anything west of the Cascades. Even in the wettest parts of the states, summer is bone-dry. Oh, and some people literally think that Washington has the worst climate in the country because it's so rainy in the winter. Most areas have crappy weather during some part of the year. The Midwest and most of Canada have bone-chilling winters and the South and Southwest have miserable summers. All in all, the Northwest (at least the Willamette Valley and Puget Lowlands) has probably the best climate in North America: not much snow and dry, comfortable summers. I just wish we actually got thunderstorms once in a while.
You're speaking my language.

I get reeeally irritated when people ask "what time is it in Canada" or "how's the weather in the States" when like... we have six timezones? >_> And enough landmass to probably house every human on the planet. And it doesn't help that actual native Canadians talk about the time/weather here like there is only one, which basically just spreads the misinformation further. It is a huge pet peeve of mine. At least people in Edmonton and Calgary have the decency to specify that their winters specifically are worse than most peoples', bless their poor bones for having to deal with that elevation, but at least they know it's local to them :I
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

The central is a vortex of wack-o weather that changes on a dime. Anywhere else in the US like that?
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

pholtos wrote:The central is a vortex of wack-o weather that changes on a dime. Anywhere else in the US like that?
Everywhere else in the US is like that, except maybe Hawai'i. Canada probably gets it real bad too. It's because of the Polar Jet Stream moving around every week trying to get good reception on its radio.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Alice

Post by Alice »

Sasquatch wrote:I'm irritated by people who talk about a state/district/country/etc. as if it has only one climate. Oregon and Washington, for example, are famous for cool, rainy weather and huge evergreens. Except, the eastern halves of both states are practically deserts, or at least way drier than anything west of the Cascades. Even in the wettest parts of the states, summer is bone-dry. Oh, and some people literally think that Washington has the worst climate in the country because it's so rainy in the winter. Most areas have crappy weather during some part of the year. The Midwest and most of Canada have bone-chilling winters and the South and Southwest have miserable summers. All in all, the Northwest (at least the Willamette Valley and Puget Lowlands) has probably the best climate in North America: not much snow and dry, comfortable summers. I just wish we actually got thunderstorms once in a while.
Parts of south east Oregon actually are legitimately desert. The Great Basin Desert in Nevada comes up a bit into the SE corner of Oregon.

And other than that Oregon actually has really varied biomes. Everything east of the Cascades is varying levels of borderline desert or actually desert, everything west of the Cascades is temperate and humid since it's coastal, then everything in the Willamette Valley is temperate and humid too with a lot of evergreen forests. Then there's the Cascades themselves which, while not the highest mountains in the US by a long shot, still have some pretty tall mountains as well as plenty of volcanoes. There's also lots of wetlands inside the valley as well since it's surrounded by the Cascades and Coastal range with the main way out on either side being only near the Columbia unless you want to go through the mountain passes.

e:
All in all, the Northwest (at least the Willamette Valley and Puget Lowlands) has probably the best climate in North America: not much snow and dry, comfortable summers. I just wish we actually got thunderstorms once in a while.
I would argue that summers here suck. They may not be as hot as elsewhere but they're quite humid compared to most places. I'd prefer more snow personally. Also I'm not sure exactly where you live but we get plenty of thunderstorms in the spring in the Portland area. (Except this year cause of El Nino.)
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah, but there aren't too many places in the United States that can get up to 100+, humid, yet with little rain in July/August and down to -0 in the winter in January/February like the Midwest can. Oh, places have days where they're like that, but week or two-week long stretches? Seriously, Missouri/Illinois weather specifically can suck sometimes.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

It's only 90 degrees but with the humidity the heat index is apparently 113. I guess I'm not going outside today
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

It's definitely a matter of what you're used to because when it gets to 30C here in Merrie Olde Englande it's too hot for me.

My sister went to Tanzania once to work at an orphanage (yeah I know, I don't think she would now) but she said when they went swimming the kids would come out all shivery and cold even though it was you know Tanzania.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

I am definitely the type that can't stand the heat and loves the cold. So this is my least favorite time of year.
I'm the type that feels it's too hot when it's over 80 degrees.

94 and feels like 109. Eurgh.
(34.4 and feels like 42.7 for you Celsius folks)

On that note I feel like there should be a change where everywhere adapts Fahrenheit for temperature weather-wise and Celsius for everything else. Fahrenheit just feels right when it comes to temperature, 0 is really cold, 100 is really hot.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

Yeah but when it gets around 0C you know that's when there's ice on the roads. You want us to fucken die?!
Alice

Post by Alice »

pholtos wrote:I am definitely the type that can't stand the heat and loves the cold. So this is my least favorite time of year.
You only find it too hot above 80ºF (26.6ºC)? I find anything above 65ºF (18.3ºC) to be sweating weather and would personally prefer it to never get above 55-60ºF (12.7-15.5ºC) at most.
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

Alice wrote:
pholtos wrote:I am definitely the type that can't stand the heat and loves the cold. So this is my least favorite time of year.
You only find it too hot above 80ºF (26.6ºC)? I find anything above 65ºF (18.3ºC) to be sweating weather and would personally prefer it to never get above 55-60ºF (12.7-15.5ºC) at most.
Ugh, too cold for me. A nice, low 70s is my preference.