(shouting)

The Haus of Talk Thread

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Re: Twitter Thread

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

I don't think you can really (directly) control your immediate reaction to a particular event, but you may well be able to control your reaction to that reaction, so to speak, which can determine how those feelings develop from that more uncontrollable starting point. More indirectly, you can also probably condition yourself (deliberately or inadvertently) to react in a particular way to a particular stimulus, so as to shape your immediate reaction in a different direction (even if you still won't have much direct influence over it at the actual time you're reacting). But even the most disciplined person is still going to have moments where their visceral reaction is at odds with what their rational brain thinks. In those cases, the best we can do is control how we act upon our feelings, and wait for them to subside to such a degree that Ol' Brainy McGee can reclaim the driver's seat.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Ol' Brainy Bastard
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

I have another deep question, namely: is being good at stuff overrated?
sonicspin
wishes
Banned
First name: t
Pronouns: whatever

Post by sonicspin »

Mata Hari wrote:I have another deep question, namely: is being good at stuff overrated?
i'd say, yes, but the thing is, being good at stuff is good, because then you can consequently suck at that thing while knowing which suckiness will not work and which will
d̀͢͏̷͢ȩ̢͡͞͠-̸̢͟҉g̶̡͟͞҉e͞͏͞͞͠n͢҉e̸̛͠͞r͟á̡͠͡ţ̛́͜i̧̛o̵̢ń̴͠͝͝
dA
Falky
Space Mountain, Real World's Champion, WOOOOO etc
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Falky »

Telamon wrote:Plus, Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland all made it as far or farther.
Scotland didn't qualify.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

Falky wrote:
Telamon wrote:Plus, Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland all made it as far or farther.
Scotland didn't qualify.
Yeah, I misremembered in my hurry to amplify England's embarrassment.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

I think Inverse Jesus got his hands on the bottle of wine I just opened before I did, because it tastes decidedly like water.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

oh man
i missed the sound of rain on the roof
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Le Neveu de Rameau wrote:I think Inverse Jesus got his hands on the bottle of wine I just opened before I did, because it tastes decidedly like water.
Or it could be pure alcohol.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I was featured on today's episode of Maddox's podcast (voicemail about 10 minutes in)
http://madcastmedia.com/shows/bestdebate/5/
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Man, Microsoft really did well with Windows 10. I mean it knows even better than I do when I want to update it. I never would have guessed that I'd want to update right in the middle of trying to play a game. (And I couldn't reschedule it. Windows flat out refuses to let me choose when to schedule updates for some retarded reason. The option to let me schedule them is greyed out.) Oh and did I mention this locked me out of my computer for two freaking hours because it was apparently the first service pack for Windows 10 or some shit? Great job making me want to use your worthless operating system Microsoft.
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

That's why I'm not getting Windows 10. Why break what isn't fixed?
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Alice wrote:Man, Microsoft really did well with Windows 10. I mean it knows even better than I do when I want to update it. I never would have guessed that I'd want to update right in the middle of trying to play a game. (And I couldn't reschedule it. Windows flat out refuses to let me choose when to schedule updates for some retarded reason. The option to let me schedule them is greyed out.) Oh and did I mention this locked me out of my computer for two freaking hours because it was apparently the first service pack for Windows 10 or some shit? Great job making me want to use your worthless operating system Microsoft.
Relevant

Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Jesuiscontent wrote:Relevant

Luckily for me I don't even get that much, lol. I even have the "defer updates" option ticked and on top of this when I first got up I chose the "update and restart" option in the win+x menu and this still happened like 4-1/2 hours after I rebooted. Cause apparently the "update and restart/shutdown" options don't actually bother updating despite their label.

As for the video itself: I dunno about racist but I definitely felt like strangling someone. Preferably whatever moron is responsible for the way Windows 10 handles updates. Microsoft should have learned a different lesson from people not wanting to bother with updates. The solution was not to force them to update regardless of whatever they're doing. (Indeed it only makes me want to find a way to flat out break Windows' ability to update at all.) The proper solution would be to change the underlying structure of Windows so it doesn't require you to reboot in order to install 90% of them.
Alice wrote:it was apparently the first service pack for Windows 10 or some shit?
I actually looked it up and I'm not sure why this update took so long. The service pack update isn't until August. If normal updates take this long there's no way in hell I'm installing a service pack since those tend to take far longer than standard updates.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

Jesuiscontent wrote: Relevant

just gonna put it out there that my antivirus makes use of that function of windows. there are times when it brings up that bar and says "NO YOU NEED TO UPDATE NOW" and microsoft had nothing to do with it, just the antivirus.
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused
First name: Tom

Post by QubicTom »

Man, regarding the Windows stuff, I think I got lucky. My laptop is from work and thus has Windows 7 Enterprise Edition, which is the only version that doesn't get the free Windows 10 update. Yay! And by changing a few registry values, the computer cannot restart itself from updates ever. Now to hope the laptop never ever quits on me and it's all good! :lol:

Mandatory twitter thread complaint: Since February, my workweek has surpassed 80 hours per week (writing my thesis and doing stuff in my lab is 40 hours+, then a second job Thurs, Fri and Saturday which also takes 40 hours+, which pays rent while I finish the thesis, since I ran out of PhD funds a while ago.) Sometimes the exhaustion catches up on me. Both eyes have been red for nearly three days now due to the long hours and not sleeping due to all the work stuff on my mind. I've also lost 7% of my weight since starting the other job, since it's super stressful and absolutely not for me.

Anyways, it's good to throw stuff like this out into the aether to be swallowed up in the thousands of other posts. Feels good :D

Hope everyone else here is doing okay! Feel free to vent to me if you like! And as that minigame in AUS says: KEEP GOING!!
No Lynch
Pronouns: she

Post by No Lynch »

metasomnia?
butts

Post by metasomnia? »

Goats are adorable <3
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I spent like 5 hours pulling apart everything in my room in an attempt to reorganize and now that I'm done I feel like I somehow made it worse.
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Post by snoruntpyro »

today
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

Mondays
Kuupa
That's me on the beat, btw [:
First name: Alex
Pronouns: the male ones

Post by Kuupa »

mondays
Last edited by Kuupa 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
So here we are. Plays have been enacted. Empires have come and gone. The mightiest have passed away and withered, alike the least. Fires have burned, thousandfold. Yet, did not the great wind serenely continue its course? Does not the blackbird still sing its song? Does not the mistletoe still dwell in the oak's crown? Forgotten, what once has been told. Veiled, the words that once so rang out. Shrouded, like the larva in its cocoon. Let him hear it, who will.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

mondays
No Lynch
Pronouns: she

Post by No Lynch »

mondays
Pikabread
we're gonna talk about e
First name: lily