(shouting)

Yep.

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Yep. (Mega Man Powered Up [Challenge Mode])

Post by Bean »

(5C) Bomb Man - #41-50 [Challenge Mode]

Bomb Man's my least favorite bot to play as in this game because of how awkward he is to use. He gets four different ways he can throw bombs out, but those angles leave him open to trouble sneaking through. These challenges focus on that flaw as well as randomly turn into The Legend of Zelda-stylized switch puzzle challenges at points because..? It's odd since I don't think that gimmick is used anywhere in the game outside of these missions. That includes alternate paths I haven't shown off yet. I don't get it, and I don't get Bomb Man. Next.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(14C) Wily Boss Attack! - #95 [Challenge Mode]

This mission gives our last look at Old Style mode as all the fortress bosses return. Since you have to be Mega Man for this challenge, not much has changed from how I did it in that run outside of text boxes replacing my great voice. I hope you like these bosses because they're in every remaining one of these rushes from here on out. That's why I didn't want to upload this part of the playthrough in order. Nope.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(6C) Fire Man - #51-60 [Challenge Mode]

This part might as well be called Fire Man Powered Down since water and his flames do not mix well. When the flame on top of his head is doused with water, we lose the ability to use the long-range part of Fire Storm. We still get the circling fireball shield, but it does mean putting yourself in harm's way more. Even when we do have that flame burning strong, these missions will test us with ice blocks that melt away pretty quickly if you aren't fleet on your feet. Honestly, it's difficult at times, but it's still one of my favorite challenge sets in the game.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(15C) Wily Easy Boss Attack! - #96 [Challenge Mode]

Easy mode time for the Wily bosses, so why not bring out the bot that I struggle playing as the most? Bomb Man's tosses are generally going to get him in trouble against some of the faster bosses in the game, but even he can handle Wily's worst when they're at their weakest. This is definitely my pick for easiest challenge of the boss rushes. Does anyone like Bomb Man the most of the original six? I just don't see it. Next.
Last edited by Bean 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(7C) Elec Man - #61-70 [Challenge Mode]

Elec Man's my pick for best bot of the eight Robot Masters to play as in the game, but Powered Up will do everything to block him from getting through these tests. You're going to have to manipulate the Elec Blocks perfectly in nine of the ten tests, and even the one that doesn't have those kind of cubes goes with the disappearing variety while you shoot around them. It really is a complicated series of challenges, but the good news is that it's all downhill in difficulty from here until the final few boss rushes. Congrats.

Seriously though, I spent more time on that one Elec Block Gauntlet mission than I did with the entirety of Fire Man's challenges. Sheesh.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(16C) Wily Normal Boss Attack! - #97 [Challenge Mode]

You know, I watched RoahmMythril's run at this back when I was recording these myself last year and still wound up making the same mistake he did on this mission. See, there's one Wily boss where you fight in water, and Fire Man's not the best at that sort of combat. Rather than going back to record things over again, I decided to take one for the team on this and stick with the burnt out bot. This started a string of failing every boss rush left on at least more than one occasion. Just think how many times I faced the Yellow Devil from here on out. Joy.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(8C) Time Man - #71-80 [Challenge Mode]

We're finally down to the new bots on the block. Time Man's tests are naturally about precision and clock management. Count Bombs, conveyor belts, and even the timer itself will slow down once you've activated Time Slow. Unfortunately, you'll have to hear the most annoying charging up sound effect in any Mega Man game I can remember to use it. Get used to bringing it out at the very last moment or before trouble's even shown up onscreen. It's something, but with his missions done, that just leaves one more character set to go now!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(17C) Wily Hard Boss Attack! - #98 [Challenge Mode]

Wily's worst weapons of destruction aren't exactly the easiest to fight normally, but when you ramp up the difficulty to the highest setting, you're in for some real trouble. This mission is an endurance test from the moment you first transport in. While going with Elec Man helps for the middle two bosses, nothing will save you from the long slog that is the new and improved Yellow Devil or the dangerous Dr. Wily who now hovers all over the arena using special weapons right up in your face. That's tough.

To have to do that first fight four times before I got my winning run with all of my failures coming on Wily's final form is something I haven't forgotten even a year after recording this. I despise that Devil duel on this difficulty and think it's the absolute most tedious boss fight in any Mega Man game I can think of, and it ain't exactly easy to keep your concentration for the long time you'll spend facing it either. Two to go.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(9C) Oil Man - #81-90 [Challenge Mode]

Oil Man is one of the worst bots in this game when it comes to combat. Luckily, he only has one challenge that involves fighting, and it's pretty easy. The other nine missions involve knowing how to use the Oil Slider to get around and reacting to any obstacles that get in your way fast. It's a fun final set to go through, and that's why it only took me forty minutes to clear. Playing as Oil Man can be fun, after all!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(18C) Normal All Boss Attack! - #99 [Challenge Mode]

If you ever needed a reminder of why you should always choose Mega Man when doing these final challenges, this would be it. All twelve bosses in a row with minimal healing after the eight Robot Master fights. That's not fun. Neither is losing at Wily's second phase, but I did that twice back in the day. Look how long it takes me to reach that point, and you might feel my soul being stomped on while watching this. Maybe it's at the point where I'm fighting Wily and the picture gets grainy for a few seconds. That sounds about right anyway. One to go!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(19C) Hard All Boss Attack! - #100 [Challenge Mode]

No more messing around. It's time to blast through this final challenge with our secret weapon that was unlocked at the end of my New Style run. Mega Man C's equipped with a slide and the ability to use Mega Buster charge shots. We are going to use those charge shots all day to end this long string of talking to myself in the thread for now. It feels good to finish this part of the playthrough at long last. Real good.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Yep. (NP: Mega Man 9)

Post by Bean »

Mega Man 9

Don't get too excited. This is just a single segment run like how I did with 1-8 and some X games in the past. Figured I'd try out my capture card again and have some fun trying to get this up for April Fools' Day as a joke. That said, I forgot that I run on Bean time, and that always puts me behind schedule. Whoops. Well, since it's like the streams I did a few years back, this actually has voice commentary. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a stream chat to go off of like all of those runs did, so I quickly found out that talking over a near 75-minute video on your own can be kind of tough!

Next time I make a post in this thread with a video, I'm hoping it's the continuation and eventual conclusion of Mega Man Powered Up. I started recording on that over two and a half years ago now. That's kind of amazing for a game I always wanted to do. The curse is real.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Yep. (Mighty No. 9 - First Attempts)

Post by Bean »

We got a PS4 recently, so that means it records gameplay automatically for me. Why not try it with a Mega Man-like game in Mighty No. 9 while I'm getting the last part of Powered Up (finally) ready. I didn't save my intro stage run, but that was an A-rank with a whole lot of talk. Anyhoo, here were my first two stages I did record.

(1) No. 8 - Countershade
(2) No. 1 - Pyrogen

First stage is a game of hide-and-seek with no checkpoints until right before the boss fight. Those wires are instant kill. Second stage has instant kill falling pillars. Both stages remind me of many Sonic games by Dimps on handhelds with that kind of stage design. Well, no clue if I'll upload other main stages of this or not, but it was a fun little PS4 tryout all the same.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(3) Cryosphere Boss Fight
(3-Bonus) No. 2 - Cryosphere

If you want to watch a competent video and see the actual stage, go with the second link. If you want to see a boss give me ten minutes of trouble, that first video is for you! Every time I thought I had Cryo figured out, she would go with something new that threw me off terribly. That bouncing shot that can freeze you is the absolute worst thing about that one. Fun stage, painful performance.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(4) No. 5 - Battalion
(5) No. 3 - Dynatron

I knew I wanted to take on Battalion next after forgetting all about him. Had I have remembered who the bots were, I would've taken him down first since he looks so silly. I had heard about Dynatron's one room from enough people complaining about it. Yeah, sliding under those saws perfectly is kind of nuts. At least you get the pop-up warning for when to slide dash (Down + Dash) on the first one.

Probably won't get a chance to play this again until Tuesday since I'm working the next two days of this holiday weekend. That sucks more than Dr. Sanda going on about the darkness. You all get to see that second video before anyone else though since I don't intend to make that one public until tomorrow. Hooray?
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I am really not a fan of the repetitive voiceclips in this game
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

raocow wrote:I am really not a fan of the repetitive voiceclips in this game
Here we go! Here we go! I needed that! Here we g... *Dash dash dash*

Yeah, I can believe that.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(6) No. 4 - Seismic

Got off to the best start ever in this stage, but after that, I quickly figured out that the wall grips are meant to be used constantly to move up or down in this mine safely. The second half has a lot of what I would guess are one-hit kill drills and a chase sequence where you absolutely have to get a hold of the red energy to be able to shoot through surfaces to advance. It's intense in the right way as opposed to how boring Pyrogen's pillar section went since you're forced to move. With a fun boss fight to cap things off that played off of the level gimmick, this was definitely one of my favorite stages so far.

Guess I'll take on the flying dude next and then finish it off with the ninja man.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

I don't like the repetitive voice clips either, and I also dislike the lack of mouth movement. The latter issue bothers me more than it should...

...You liked Mac's stage? Huh. ...On second thought, I can see that. I think Countershade's stage is the worst design you'll see here, regardless. That stage needed checkpoints badly!
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

:? I'm sorry you have to endure this game
That crazy voice dude
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

You know, I guess as a dude that didn't back this and doesn't care about hype or anything surrounding it (I thought it would be an ugly MMX8-like game from the moment they said they were using Unreal Engine 3), I think it's okay-ish? The first two stages I did were pretty weak, but Cryosphere, Battalion, and Seismic's levels were genuinely fun. Dynatron's would've been outside of that turbine trap.

I just wish the combo system meant more than getting a good score that does nothing. Azure Striker Gunvolt gives you more item parts at the end of a level you perform well in. This game doesn't. It's Mega Man 1 all over again in that regard. As far as I know, the Wii U version runs terribly though. As a dude that mostly plays on Nintendo systems only nowadays, that annoys me. Still think the game's going to have a poor end game since I bet it was rushed to get the thing out the door on six different platforms on day one, but we'll see.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(7) No. 6 - Aviator

Wind gimmicks are usually annoying, but when you have a character that can speed right through it, it turns out to be okay. I was starting to get the hang of the combo system in Dynatron's stage, did better in Seismic's, but here is where it will all click for what is easily my best run of the main eight stages (Spoiler: No. 7's level could have gone better). I don't know why I did as well as I did here, but yeah. Turns out that understanding the game mechanics helps you do fine. Who knew? That one odd cut that the game made after I healed confused the heck out of me for a moment though.

Anyway, this level was neato as was the boss. I mean, how can you not like an enemy that is announcing during his own boss battle? Still, I'm glad I had invincibility frames during that dude's super attack. I think that would've ruined this run otherwise. Enjoy this run. It was fun. Next time will be fun for everyone that likes runs that go poorly.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(8) No. 7 - Brandish

Here's the last main stage and where I stopped the other night, so we're all caught up after this. As good as I had been playing in previous stages for the most part, this one reminded me that some stages are still kind of hard. Touching the pavement means you're a goner, and it's pretty easy to do when you're trying to pat your head and blast your enemies at the same time. That's one of the things I'm not really good at in games, and it shows.

This one also shows a boss that was the second hardest for me behind Cryosphere. The speed of that critical attack is tough for me to keep dodging. Almost got a game over in this stage, but I set the life counter to start at five instead of three when I started this series just in case for that problem. Good call, me. Good call.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(9) Prison - Call's Stage

Well, I was going to get back to this game once I finished collecting the construction packs in Powered Up for the final leg of that series, and that finally happened this week. I did play through all the stages previously to get more used to Beck's forms and get some in-game goals for the heck of it, but this stage doesn't really matter in that regard since you get to play as a new character in a level with a difficulty curve that goes all over the place.

Call has the ability to hover like Axl does in MMX7 and X8 and has a shield you can activate with a button I've never used (Beck would do this weird backwards arcing dash I haven't even tried yet), but she has no way of absorbing any or even defeating some enemies. It's a really weird level that tries to be stealth in the early going with little danger, hover town central in a spike-filled shaft at the end without much use of said ability beforehand, yet the boss feels like it's barely above intro stage difficulty. I don't get it, and I don't care for this level like the first two I showed off in this game as a result. Not a good Call here, Comcept.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(10) Robot Factory - The Mighty Mission

While Call was breaking into the prison, Beck and the rescued Mighty No. bots get to have their own mission where they try to stop the craziness that is running wild at the city's main robot factory. In this place, we get a level that will force you to use some of the special forms Beck has collected along the way. It's kind of a fun level in that regard. Like I said for the last one, I replayed most of the old levels to get used to most of those forms since I had a feeling a stage like this was coming.

This stage has its moments and a somewhat fun boss fight, but it's no Wily 1 situation where the music is rocking and you're going to have some crazy encounter. It's just okay, kind of like how most of this game has been even though it continues to bring back memories of some of the worst in the Mega Man series (X5-X7 and Network Transmission specifically). Going by the troph-chievement list, the next stage should be the final one. Might upload a quick run of the intro stage between that just to have a complete set. Who knows? Pretty sure that last level will be in two parts since I don't see myself beating the stage and final boss in less than fifteen minutes.