(shouting)

DT3 - raocow and the game that ended

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
jaxter0987

Re: DT3 - raocow blows up a lot of robots

Post by jaxter0987 »

Sebby19 wrote:raocow, can you go to the map and hover over Nightmare H? I want to see what the game's description for it is.
The map descriptions of the Nightmare Gates are just the lore associated with that gate. So for H, it'd be the "I implore you gamer..."

I just feel like I should repeat this for good measure:
Jeremy: "It's your choice on whether or not you want to do that. Every minute we spend on other things is more time that Warship is in the sky."
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

good idea! remember that there's a delay though so if I remember that'll happen on sunday.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

thankyou!
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: DT3 - raocow and a castle but it's not Roy's one

Post by ano0maly »

People thought this level was hard? I think it was a nice calm breather,

save for perhaps the boss, before the difficulty increase in the final chapter

. And although I like the level for what it does have, it sort of leaves something to be desired. I would say it feels that way because of the castle being overly spacious with several empty regions, the non-puzzles (the linked switches in rooms G

and I

are of no challenge), and object placements that feel unnecessary or do not make sense.

And raocow I would like to see you try out the Gravity Displacer that you bought in today's video. Give it a try near an enemy and you might like it.
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

no, what happened in pete's room is not supposed to happen
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

I just tried going into the room without any recording software and it didn't do that.

So that's... very strange, and really unexpected kind of behaviour. I'm really sorry that happened, had I known...
It's just that since the whole place is treated like a joke, and given, well, this game beign this game...
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

raocow wrote:I just tried going into the room without any recording software and it didn't do that.

So that's... very strange, and really unexpected kind of behaviour. I'm really sorry that happened, had I known...
It's just that since the whole place is treated like a joke, and given, well, this game beign this game...
Well, with that you could also see the recording software info too... You can also see it every load screen.
I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

It's Dxtory's fault. It doesn't like some games like that.

Also you utterly cheesed the diamond rooms because they were supposed to be darkness gimmick rooms.
NegativeZeroZ
The Living Travesty

Post by NegativeZeroZ »

At first I thought Zephyr fixed something that wasn't broken again, but I just checked and those rooms are still dark.

This one's definitely not a keeper.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

what's the status on 60fps videos? I see you've now switched to primiere, but today's videos are still 30fps on youtube.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
raocow

Post by raocow »

mannnnnn

now I'm just all kinds of legit bummed.
I'm so sorry.
raocow

Post by raocow »

we just fixed said bug.

it's a tiny bit inconveniant for me, but this won't happen again in the future.
NegativeZeroZ
The Living Travesty

Post by NegativeZeroZ »

Now I'm just really really curious what the bug was.

Also don't worry about the dark rooms. It just means we got to the boss a bit faster. :3
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Horikawa Otane wrote:edit: raocow and I have fixed it
raocow wrote:we just fixed said bug.
for the sake of sanity and future generations wondering "why does dxtory display its information on black screens in my recording", can you explain how you fixed it?
raocow

Post by raocow »

disabled every single overlay option, basically
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Yeah, It would be useful for the future. Might also fix the recording thing appearing to the top right on room transitions sometimes in some games. Other way to fix those was to hide the information, but that's not a good idea for many reasons.

Edit: Oh okay.
raocow

Post by raocow »

yeah it's not perfect and it's why I mentioned it's a little inconveniant.

but I think it's a decent price to say for decent graphical crispness and no frame drops (tomorrow shoudl be back to nice crispy pixels in both dt and vip)
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Post by snoruntpyro »

Horikawa Otane wrote: but it can play a bit badly with some, uhh, "creatively" coded game maker games (very specifically)
:(
raocow

Post by raocow »

don't worry pyro she's talking about soldexus
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Horikawa Otane wrote:stuff
Okay, but how crisp are the pixels?
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

I'm assuming dxtory gets its data from the video driver and then does... something? That would be why there was the hall of mirrors effect in the Pete room. It's one of maybe 2 maps in the game that isn't using some sort of image for a background and instead is filling the background with a color. I'm guessing whatever setting you had didn't agree with that. The dark maps require use of your gpu to do that light effect, though why dxtory hooking into your video drivers not allowing that is weird.
Horikawa Otane wrote:
raocow wrote:(Also fun DT3 thing - it would run at 5fps and be unplayable unless I started it without my MOUSE plugged in. Then I could plug my mouse back in once the game had been started. See - "creative" coding)
That can happen with nearly any pre-studio game maker game in my experience. It's bizarre. Usually it's the reverse though with usb controllers. Unplugging them will kill framerate on some machines.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

raocow wrote:don't worry pyro she's talking about soldexus
Oh come on!
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

ZephyrBurst wrote:I'm assuming dxtory gets its data from the video driver and then does... something? That would be why there was the hall of mirrors effect in the Pete room. It's one of maybe 2 maps in the game that isn't using some sort of image for a background and instead is filling the background with a color.
Dxtory, as well as Fraps, and OBS in "game capture" mode (and I'm sure some others), all work by dynamically inserting a hook into the game's code, such that right before the directx or opengl call it makes to flip the back/front buffers, it will run a directx/opengl call to read the frame from video memory to shared memory that the capture program reads out of. That capture itself isn't what likely interfered with things, that's pretty harmless normally. This method of inserting a hook in the game's code that catches when it flips the front/back buffer is nice because it allows the capture software the match the frame rate of the game perfectly. Other screen capture methods (i.e. OBS in "window capture" mode) that don't do it this way, can't synchronize to the game engine's frame rate so things might not be quite as smooth/consistent.

In order to do an overlay of capture status, some of these types of software will also use this *same* hook to render their own HUD ontop of everything else using some directx/opengl calls. This rendering of the capture software's HUD during the capture hook is what messed things up. It seems that dxtory's HUD rendering code didn't clean up after itself very well, and left things in a state that is incompatible with Game Maker's method of rendering a color as background at the start of the next frame. This consequently causes the background to not be redrawn there, both on screen and in capture.

Also, the HUD showing in the recording during screen transitions, likely means that Game Maker was flipping the front/back buffers during those screen transitions without actually clearing/redrawing the framebuffer, which is a bit of an odd engine behaviour though perfectly valid. Dxtory and such software avoids capturing it's own HUD by only drawing the HUD after it captured the frame it's drawing the HUD onto... but... if the engine doesn't redraw anything and keeps flipping frames, the capture software will go and capture it's own HUD when the next frame comes around.

Random note, Steam Overlay, and most VOIP software in-game overlays, all work very similarly to this as well by inserting a hook in the running game's code too in order to render themselves. These also present similar potential issues if they fail to clean up after themselves well when rendering their overlay.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

That boss was pretty unique, I liked how it made you take advantage of all your weapons to take it out.

Also, Smash Bros music during the fight for some reason? I dig it though.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
jaxter0987

Post by jaxter0987 »

You had a much easier time with Decimator 10000 than most of us gave you credit for. And I'm glad you ended up realizing that a charged Spazer Beam shot upwards on the totem section makes that section hilariously easy, even more so now that the Spazer Beam is buffed compared to when I fought the Decimator. One thing you never did was actually scan the armor portion of the Decimator. You needed to click on the edges of the sprite to highlight the armor instead of the Decimator itself.

And then Decimator 20000 comes along and you breeze right through that as well. raocow once again, shows that he'll breeze through the difficult parts and yet stumble on the simplest parts.

Because I didn't expect the Decimator fights to go this smoothly, I didn't explain ahead of time. If you want to see everything the game has to offer, you don't want to do the Abomination now. You'll want to wait until you almost get to the point of no return. Make a save there and then go past that point without handling the Abomination business. Then go back and handle things before going past the point of no return.

It should be pretty obvious where that point in the game is when you get to that map, but I'll try to remind you preemptively.

What I was talking about in my last post was how I felt the flow of the story should be like. Since you probably want to see everything, just keep on going with the Dragoon section.