(shouting)

Zelder Scrolls U: Hyrim (Breath of the Wild thread)

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Post by ZephyrBurst »

Hoeloe wrote:
Telamon wrote:On another note, I'm disappointed in the lack of a female hero for this game, especially with all the rumours floating around about it. It's especially disappointing that their reasoning was so poor.
I don't get the disappointment people have behind it. Was it something we were supposed to be expecting? I remember hearing some rumors about it, but it's just that, a rumor. With how the internet is and how easy it is to just start up and spread a rumor, I figured we'd know by now not to trust anything until confirmed by the content creator themselves.
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

ZephyrBurst wrote:
Hoeloe wrote:
Telamon wrote:On another note, I'm disappointed in the lack of a female hero for this game, especially with all the rumours floating around about it. It's especially disappointing that their reasoning was so poor.
I don't get the disappointment people have behind it. Was it something we were supposed to be expecting? I remember hearing some rumors about it, but it's just that, a rumor. With how the internet is and how easy it is to just start up and spread a rumor, I figured we'd know by now not to trust anything until confirmed by the content creator themselves.
It's because a lot of people have been asking for it for a long time, and there were (extremely vague) teases about it when the first trailer was shown. With the direction some Nintendo franchises have been taking (with Splatoon's female hero being the mascot character, and Linkle being introduced in Hyrule Warriors) a lot of people, myself included, were under the impression that this was an ideal time to introduce a female hero, especially since they're already shaking up a lot of the formula.

The Zelda series has a pretty big female audience, so a representative heroine has been something a lot of fans have wanted for a while, and it's a disappointment because everything was perfectly in place for them to do it, and they didn't.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I don't want to get into this too much, but like... It's not like Link is a big Gears of War beefcake manly man. He's a scrawny kid. And even if he wasn't, you don't need to be male to relate to him for the same reason you don't need to be female to relate to Lara Croft. You're supposed to put yourself into the character's shoes, not the other way around unless the game has a character creator. It's not like they actually modeled a penis underneath his trousers. And if they did, I don't see how that effects the player. If they made a Zelda game with a female protagonist, it would basically make no difference. It's just imaginary genitals, and the only people that care so much about genitals are the people trying to keep trans folk out of washrooms.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Ashan wrote:If they made a Zelda game with a female protagonist, it would basically make no difference.
This is actually the point.

It would be an interesting thing for them to do that would not in any way detract from the game, and they refuse to go there for reasons that don't really hold water.

Also: Representation Matters.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

What I meant is that it wouldn't make a difference to the user.

As for the developers though, it makes a huge difference. If you have prerendered cutscenes that feature the protagonist, you now have to render/include them all twice. If you have voice acting (which this does) that says the protagonists name, or pronouns, you now have to record them all twice. If the models are slightly different, you now have to do your best to avoid clipping errors on 2 separate models. If the lore has already been worked on for a couple years and then halfway through a bunch of people demand an option for characters, you now have to go over everything again to make sure it will work.

It's really easy to say "just throw in a female character you can play as", but it's never that easy. This game is already several years in the making and has had the release date pushed back a few times. And the scope of this game is seemingly bigger than any game they've previously done. Adding one more major thing to the pile like that is no small task.

Also programming is just downright weird with this stuff sometimes. There's a duping glitch in Dark Souls that for some reason only works with male characters. The entirety of intended game mechanics in that game are identical for male and female characters, but for some reason that glitch only works with one of the genders. There's stuff like that which just adds a boatload of new possible things to overlook. I know they gave a lame excuse, but I'm guessing it was more of a casual comment than the actual reason.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Ashan wrote:What I meant is that it wouldn't make a difference to the user.
Okay so I actually work in game development. If it's tacked on at the end of a project, adding a female character option is a HUGE amount of work, I will agree to you.

However, if it's built into the game from the start, the workload is still slightly higher than without it, but much more manageable. Dialogue lines can be recorded in the same sitting, reducing the cost and time they take, models and animations can be worked in tandem, so they don't have to get tweaked later, potentially breaking existing content.

In terms of lore, it's been canon for a while that Link and Zelda are different iterations of the character, either descendants or otherwise, so there is no issue there.

As for "weird stuff happening", that's the case with any feature. That specific Dark Souls bug is probably attached to something like the animation or socketing system rather than the gender option itself.

Besides all this, it's not like Nintendo doesn't have the resources to do this. Yes, the game is bigger than any previous titles in the series, but Nintendo has the money and manpower to deal with it. They could have done this.

And I take issue with "it doesn't make a difference to the user" actually. A lot of game design is about psychology, and there are studies that show that the way a character is presented on the screen makes a difference to how they play a game, as well as their enjoyment of it. It may not make a difference to you consciously, but it almost certainly would subconsciously.

On top of that, as I said before: "Representation Matters". That does make a difference.

It might not be the same as adding a new combat mode or item to a Zelda game, but saying there is no difference is kind of short sighted in my opinion.

Though I also suspect that the reason they gave was more an offhand comment than a well-considered reason, and the actual reason, while still probably not something I'd agree with, may make a bit more sense.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Maybe they want to charge for DLC
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

I should add that I'm still buying the hell out of this game, and buying an NX for it.

Just venting at a single disappointment in a sea of incredible hype.
ohmato
hey idiot

Post by ohmato »

Hoeloe wrote:And I take issue with "it doesn't make a difference to the user" actually. A lot of game design is about psychology, and there are studies that show that the way a character is presented on the screen makes a difference to how they play a game, as well as their enjoyment of it. It may not make a difference to you consciously, but it almost certainly would subconsciously.

On top of that, as I said before: "Representation Matters". That does make a difference.

It might not be the same as adding a new combat mode or item to a Zelda game, but saying there is no difference is kind of short sighted in my opinion.

Though I also suspect that the reason they gave was more an offhand comment than a well-considered reason, and the actual reason, while still probably not something I'd agree with, may make a bit more sense.
While the explanation they gave didn't exactly do them any favors, the fact is that Link looked androgynous enough where people were convinced the lead would be female back when they first showed the 2014 teaser. Clearly if the character was actually female the outer appearance is ambiguous enough where it, in fact, would not make the slightest difference if we're going to talk about psychology.

Also, the franchise has not had an issue with female representation. Just because all of the games focus on playing as Link doesn't mean females haven't been represented well. Zelda isn't entirely a damsel in distress figure in the first place, OoT kind of made that point early.

That said, I would absolutely play a game where you play as Zelda while Link doesn't largely appear, I like how she played in HW and would be all for a full adventure game with her as the focus. But there's absolutely no possible way there wouldn't be a significant number of complaints regardless of what decision they made for BotW, and I would not hesitate to claim there are just as many people (if not more) who simply don't give a shit about the gender of a fictional game character than those who do. It just so happens that the latter are indubitably the vocal majority.
warpio

Post by warpio »

I don't see the point in complaining about this gender representation stuff in a game like this... Does the game even ever refer to Link using a gendered pronoun? If that's not the case, then what's the problem? Think of it this way, there's nothing stopping you from making this Link identify as a female in your personal headcanon, regardless of what he/she looks like. And the game itself would never contradict you if all of the characters only ever refer to Link by name or by talking to the player directly. There you go.
warpio

Post by warpio »

Anyway, my thoughts on the game itself...

I'm very apprehensive about 3D "open world" games... they've never really appealed to me all that much outside of a few games... I usually prefer tightly designed, well paced linear games like what most of the Zelda series is. But the more I see of this game the more hopeful I am that this could end up being a really incredible experience if done well.

It looks they've absolutely nailed the atmosphere, and actually succeeded in making a world that you WANT to explore. The fact that you can climb up high terrain and see all sorts of interesting locations miles ahead of you.
https://i.imgsafe.org/22f7a1c9bd.png
Like right here, this kind of atmosphere being visible from so early on in the game gives me chills... You can see what looks like Hyrule Castle way off in the distance, with this mysterious bright light shining from with in it, and the castle being surrounded by this dark ominous barrier and some demonic shadowy figure floating around it (is that Ganon, perhaps?)

I think the very first thing I'm going to do when I play this, is just grab the first weapon I see and then head straight towards that dark ominous castle and see for myself exactly what I'm up against and what my goal is. Basically I'll just attempt a minimal % completion run and go from there... so that way when I explore the world, going to all the dungeons/shrines it'll have a purpose instead of just randomly exploring for its own sake.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

warpio wrote:It looks they've absolutely nailed the atmosphere, and actually succeeded in making a world that you WANT to explore. The fact that you can climb up high terrain and see all sorts of interesting locations miles ahead of you.
https://i.imgsafe.org/22f7a1c9bd.png
Like right here, this kind of atmosphere being visible from so early on in the game gives me chills... You can see what looks like Hyrule Castle way off in the distance, with this mysterious bright light shining from with in it, and the castle being surrounded by this dark ominous barrier and some demonic shadowy figure floating around it (is that Ganon, perhaps?)
This is something I'm really excited about too. It seems to follow the world style of Dark Souls where if you can see something in the distance, you can actually go to it. So many games just make nice visuals by shoving a bunch of "cool stuff" into the skybox, so it's always a breath of fresh air when the world is actually a cohesive thing.
From Yahtzee's Dark Souls review:
Yahtzee wrote:I wish it was a rule that you can only put stuff in your skybox if the player gets to visit it at some point. Cause then, say, the Syndicate FPS would have looked like it was taking place inside a ping-pong ball, while Dark Souls would be laughing. Because if you ever see a distant tower or ruin in the distance, then chances are you'll go there at some point, and chances are there's something big inside it whose favorite food is your face.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I just realized this is my second time creating this thread (and the previous one had a better title)
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14731

Should they get merged?
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Considering the last post in the last thread was more than a year ago I'm not gonna bother
Drei
First name: Stirling
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Drei »

Oh man, I am so excited. I'm absolutely a sucker for the hype they managed to build up with the trailer and gameplay shown.

I hope that this game, regardless of how long it is, has such memorable times as the Temple of the Goddesses and the Great Deku Tree.
Ashan

Re: Zelder Scrolls U: Hyrim (Breath of the Wild thread)

Post by Ashan »

What is the Temple of the Goddesses?
Drei
First name: Stirling
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Drei »

derp, goddess statues with the tower of the gods

really speaks as to what i said amirite?

to be fair i haven't played wind waker in years, but there isn't any other area that i remember enjoying better in that game than the tower of the gods and its boss
Minnakht
Green eyed monster

Post by Minnakht »

Hoeloe wrote:I'm getting Xenoblade X vibes from this, which is a good thing.
Uncontrollegend of Zelda: Brath Tar of the Wild We've Lost
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

Minnakht wrote:
Let's replace Breath of the Wild's soundtrack with Xenoblade X's.

Watch it end up being incredibly fitting.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Minnakht
Green eyed monster

Post by Minnakht »

BurntTenda wrote:
Minnakht wrote:
Let's replace Breath of the Wild's soundtrack with Xenoblade X's.

Watch it end up being incredibly fitting.
Hey, it worked for Pokemon Black & Tar
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks

Post by BurntTenda »

That's... delicious.

And I found this thing.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

So this image has been circulating recently.

I'm not sure how to feel about it. Like, having a big world sounds neat in concept since you have a lot to explore, but the size of the world really means nothing when there's nothing in most of it. Sure, Skyrim was pretty big, but there wasn't a reason to walk across it most of the time. You'd generally just quick travel everywhere because a bunch of flat landscape isn't that interesting. I think typically, I'd prefer a smaller but more memorable map than a giant map where everything looks the same.

Still super pumped for this game either way.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I think it's kinda exaggerated, slightly.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

Post by Truhan »

Ashan wrote:So this image has been circulating recently.
(some image, omitted to save space)

I'm not sure how to feel about it. Like, having a big world sounds neat in concept since you have a lot to explore, but the size of the world really means nothing when there's nothing in most of it. Sure, Skyrim was pretty big, but there wasn't a reason to walk across it most of the time. You'd generally just quick travel everywhere because a bunch of flat landscape isn't that interesting. I think typically, I'd prefer a smaller but more memorable map than a giant map where everything looks the same.

Still super pumped for this game either way.
Looks fake. This is another image that's been making rounds which is actually based on mathematical calculations.

http://i.imgur.com/D5yBhh4.png

Not saying this one is legit either, but that one deffo looks more unbelievable, especially considering Wind Waker's world is far larger than Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. Color me skeptical.
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks

Post by BurntTenda »

It reminds me of the whole "Xenoblade X's map is like the size of Witcher 3's, Fallout 4's, and some other game's map."