(shouting)

DT3 - raocow and the game that ended

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Dark Hunter

Re: DT3 - raocow blows up a lot of robots

Post by Dark Hunter »

That describes him so perfectly it has to become semi-canon!
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

That boss seemed at first to be the type you have to lose to, but actually was very impressively a beatable boss. I don't know why it impresses me necessarily, maybe it was the mood that got me, but I was surprised it was a fight you were meant to win, and your rate of damage was good.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

ZephyrBurst wrote:I laughed. Maybe it just feels like a deadpan delivery, which is humorous to me.
Well if I had spoken it out loud that's about how I would've said it so you're not wrong, lol.
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

Alice wrote:
ZephyrBurst wrote:I laughed. Maybe it just feels like a deadpan delivery, which is humorous to me.
Well if I had spoken it out loud that's about how I would've said it so you're not wrong, lol.
<3

I'll just leave that less than three there to be misconstrued by others.
NegativeZeroZ
The Living Travesty

Post by NegativeZeroZ »

raocow deals with those "what the flying hellspawn was I supposed to do to avoid that" moments better than I do. His nonchalant acceptance of death is kinda funny after spending a few years over-analyzing the game and reporting every iota of "unfairness" in excessive detail.

In the end, the only real changes that needed to be made to this area were visual changes to help the player process the ocean of hitboxes.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Watching thus and seeing the Warmaster again makes me realize the dude's kinda... I dunno, semi-hypocritical? It's like he knows Hex is completely and utterly unreasonable but would rather blame others than himself for allowing stuff like this to happen. You have problems, Warmaster.

Also I forgot how neat some of these rooms are. They get trickier but not in the same vein as the CWF.
Le Neveu de Rameau wrote:*clip*
I didn't think about that kind of thing with Hex, but it makes sense. He's dangerous due to a lack of morals, not really from true strength. Hell, the most dangerous thing he's done personally is block out Jeremy and manipulate things in areas he was already hugely familiar with. If we fought him away from his home turf, I bet all his skills wouldn't save him.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

Warmaster is a character I wish was a bit more fleshed out. Particularly why he hates humans so much. I don't think the game ever actually gives a reason for that. Hatred doesn't just pop out of nowhere in most cases, certainly not genocidal hatred. And given how weirdly civil and polite Warmaster is in conversation it just doesn't seem to fit his character.
Ignoritus
O◡O
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ignoritus »

I'm honestly kind of disappointed in you Zephyr. You missed the perfect opportunity on the way back for the Spider Drone to just fall back down from the sky and continue fighting you like nothing happened.
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: DT3 - raocow excels at tomb raiding

Post by ano0maly »

Good job in that encounter with the two rocketeers and the healer. I find that to be one of the harder challenges in the Construction Site.

The healer does repair itself, but at a rate much slower than healing another bot. The standard procedure is to attack a bot, prompting the healer to attach to it at a short distance, and then attack the healer. But you're correct that the healer can only heal one at a time, which helped your strategy of doing more overall damage to outdo the healer.

Apparently the spikes on the mace balls don't hurt you, despite the outline covering them. Only the mace balls themselves hurt you.
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat

Post by ZephyrBurst »

Ignoritus wrote:I'm honestly kind of disappointed in you Zephyr. You missed the perfect opportunity on the way back for the Spider Drone to just fall back down from the sky and continue fighting you like nothing happened.
Okay, that one is funny. I'll make it up to you though.

The room to the left is the map I have the most trouble with of nearly all the maps in the game for some reason. Insanity in both directions.
jaxter0987

Post by jaxter0987 »

The close quarters double Rocketeer + Healer encounter was among the hardest encounters for me. I could never get into a rhythm where I could hit both of them at the same time.

If I'm not mistaken, the next boss was changed since I last played it so it probably will be less frustrating than what most of us are thinking.

Also, I just realized I'm totally going to hate going through the Displaced Construction Site in my Nightmare mode playthrough. No extra hearts, no damage reduction skills and no Normal and Trap damage reduction equips? Dear god....
Alice

Post by Alice »

Leave it to raocow to come up with a decent idea then immediately write it off before even attempting it.
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat

Post by ZephyrBurst »

jaxter0987 wrote:The close quarters double Rocketeer + Healer encounter was among the hardest encounters for me. I could never get into a rhythm where I could hit both of them at the same time.
I'm slightly surprised at how well raocow handled that encounter. Though he's been handling Chaos relatively well due to either intentionally or accidentally figuring out that fighting them is all about prioritizing. (Though healers should typically go first.)
jaxter0987 wrote:If I'm not mistaken, the next boss was changed since I last played it so it probably will be less frustrating than what most of us are thinking.
It had some tweaks that ultimately results in it being slightly 'nerfed' but an exploit was also fixed. That and the first part of it has scan info.
noterday
Pronouns: she/her

Post by noterday »

I haven't been watching raocow's stuff in like a good six month cause i couldnt really keep myself up to date with a lot of youtube content and i wanna start watching his videos as they come out again so i wanna catch up on this incredibly long serie to have my daily raocow video in the morning when i get up again :0

This lp sure is pretty long wow.
Alice

Post by Alice »

raocow, your bomb method you figured out near the end works but I think you probably would've struggled a lot less during that melee only phase if you'd used Belmont instead of Link. You really don't need to vertical range of Link's master sword there but the horizontal range of Belmont's whip would help keep you out of range of Mr. McSpazzy.
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: DT3 - raocow returns to Subcon

Post by ano0maly »

More on today's video later possibly
NegativeZeroZ
The Living Travesty

Post by NegativeZeroZ »

Next time, another self-contained detour distracting from the trilogy's renowned difficulty. It's the last of its kind, I'm afraid. The rest of the game is an uphill battle from here. This next area is nice though. It's also symbolic and means stuff. I wonder if Mr. Aocow will catch on.
heycallmeZe

Post by heycallmeZe »

So...

Is this the basis for the last Nightmare Gate?

One day, an image will return
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

I actually really liked the Ruins and the boss here. I feel Zephyr's at his best with traps rather than enemies (as long as he isn't overusing that damned grapple). Or maybe I'm just better at obstacle-based gameplay than combat.

The boss is neat since there's a lot of tricks to figure out. Most of its actual attacks aren't that bad, it's all a matter of figuring out what to do when. Once you've got that down, you just have to learn how to survive the super attack.

Now on to the Subconscious Filter, which I'm still trying to figure out why it doesn't look like Super Mario Bros 2 (or would that have just been too obvious?).
jaxter0987

Post by jaxter0987 »

heycallmeZe wrote:So...

Is this the basis for the last Nightmare Gate?

I actually could see that. I'll be paying more attention to the Subconscious Filter now that I'm a viewer, to see if there's any hidden meaning I might have missed the first time
NegativeZeroZ wrote:Next time, another self-contained detour distracting from the trilogy's renowned difficulty. It's the last of its kind, I'm afraid. The rest of the game is an uphill battle from here. This next area is nice though. It's also symbolic and means stuff. I wonder if Mr. Aocow will catch on.
Eh, I'd say

the final Nightmare Gate is the last self contained detour. And its on the easier end of Nightmare Gates too.

That said, I'm actually really looking forward to it when raocow gets there.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Watching this boss has something of the quality of viewing a nightmare from the outside, from a position where you're not affected by the irrational, visceral terror you would experience if you were the actual dreamer, but from which you still have the uncanniness and fuzzy dream logic that comes with the nightmare. It also has the vague sense of familiarity dreams can give you, even with things you've never encountered before. For me this was mostly through the name: I remembered once seeing the Evil One from Faxanadu being called "Shadow Eura" for some reason, and wondered if it was going to make an appearance here, but then three jagged green blocks descended from the ceiling, so I assumed I must of been mistaken, or whatever source I had seen the name in had. But then the middle block cracked open slightly, revealing something that looked like it could be the Evil One, so maybe it just had a weird sort of introduction? The Evil One did always strike we as sort of a weird guy with a weirder sense of humor to match (and he came out of a meteorite as well), so it made sense in a way. Then the block shattered entirely, revealing something which was decidedly reminiscent of the Evil One, but most definitely was not the Evil One itself. It's like that dream I once had where Baba Yaga was realized first as a green loudspeaker on the side of a (modern, non-chicken-legged) cabin, then later as a railroad crossing warning light. It almost makes sense on some level, but then on another it completely doesn't. Just the right combination to throw you completely off balance.

So I suppose my question is--where does the Not-Quite-Evil-One's sprite come from? I remember reading that Faxandu was supposedly a spinoff of the Dragon Slayer series (which I know very little about), but I could never find an explanation of precisely how. Do other beings called Shadow Eura which sort-of-but-not-entirely resemble the Evil One appear in other games in the series? Can any dragon assassins and/or bursts of westerly wind clear up this mystery?
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Calling it, this is gate 7 (along with its Nightmare gate).
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat

Post by ZephyrBurst »

Le Neveu de Rameau wrote:So I suppose my question is--where does the Not-Quite-Evil-One's sprite come from?
The sprite isn't ripped directly from Faxanadu, though it is from some fan edits/remakes of the sprites. The sheet I used did have the legs, but I had no use for them, so they did not show up. Take THAT Evil One, I've severed your legs!
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

It is amazing that raocow barely took more deaths trying to get the items in that secret room than he did just trying to leave the room.
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

Eura has to be one of my least favorite bosses. The entire area up to it is a great challenge and just looks really neat when there's 20 maces flying around. Then we get to this guy who is just annoying. Especially the final phase where you're reduced to only the middle section, as the fire always spawns at the worst times. I feel like I would have rathered this guy either go all the way with removal of the puzzle elements, or stayed puzzle boss. This current state, I'm just not a fan of.

Luckily the payoff is worth it, as Subconscious Filter is really cool outside of one or two moments that I could just not figure out even in my winning run.

I usually have a lot more to say, but not this time.
I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.