(shouting)

my computer died

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

my computer died

Post by raocow »

So... this happened. Currently on the ghost's laptop to write this.
Basically it just, completely at random, freezes or bluescreen within minutes of being opened. I managed to finish and upload tomorrow's VIP3 video. I have finished what wuld have been tonight's DT3 video... but it is impossible for me to put online as of this moment as I cannot get to the file quickly enough. I'm at least trying to make a back-up to be uploaded later, but, yeah.

Worst case scenario, I might have to like showcase a bit that's already emptied out :/

I do have backup of both my vip3 and dt3 progress though, so at least that SHOULD be fine.

So... err, yeah. There goes my unbroken upload string !

I'll try to get myself a new decent computer as quickly as I can.

Sorry about all this!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: my computer died

Post by SAJewers »

Good Luck on the new computer.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
TOCKHedron
First name: Steve
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by TOCKHedron »

Well that sucks. I hope you get it fixed soon.
RegiGiygas
listening to oingo boingo
First name: uriah
Pronouns: he/him

Post by RegiGiygas »

Thank God for backup data. Imagine replaying DT3...
can't forget this guy
Waaa.
sonicspin
wishes
Banned
First name: t
Pronouns: whatever

Post by sonicspin »

ouch :C
d̀͢͏̷͢ȩ̢͡͞͠-̸̢͟҉g̶̡͟͞҉e͞͏͞͞͠n͢҉e̸̛͠͞r͟á̡͠͡ţ̛́͜i̧̛o̵̢ń̴͠͝͝
dA
LovelyPenguin
Penguinpenguinpen
First name: \(0v0)/
Pronouns: any are fine

Post by LovelyPenguin »

RIP your computer. :(
May you swiftly find a replacement.
"The penguin is the core of the universe; the penguin is all."
- raocow

Zygl

Post by Zygl »

I don't suppose you've figured out like, what exactly the problem is? Like if it's a hard drive failure or something? I dunno what exactly your computer situation is like but I wouldn't think you'd need an entirely new computer unless it's the motherboard itself going out or something.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

well I mean, I need to upgrade the graphic card and ram ANYWAYS, so might as well.

though no, I don't know what the problem is exactly. the blue screen message states that it's a hardware failure without going into more details.
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

RegiBleck wrote:Thank God for backup data. Imagine replaying DT3...
Hey, at least he could probably get someone to recreated his save file down to the slightest detail!
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

raocow wrote:well I mean, I need to upgrade the graphic card and ram ANYWAYS, so might as well.

though no, I don't know what the problem is exactly. the blue screen message states that it's a hardware failure without going into more details.
Ah, good ol' ever-helpful blue screens.
I'd still be inclined to suggest trying to diagnose the problem and just upgrading the graphics card and RAM on the current one, buuuuut at the same time I dunno what your motherboard situation is so that may not actually be viable anyway. >_>
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Considering his computer is Ancient, it's probably better for him to just get a new one.

Got a Budget, BTW? We might be able to help you find one.
raocow

Post by raocow »

there's a local shop not too far that gets you the same kind of prices you'd get at like newegg and whatnot, so hopefully I'll should be okay and it shouldn't take too long.

If I give myself a budget of, say, around 1.5k, what should I expect to get ?
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Post by snoruntpyro »

:c

hopefully everything works out!!
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

It might be worth also getting a USB enclosure you can put the hard drive from the old computer in so that you can hook it up to the new computer to get files off of. They typically aren't that expensive, I don't think, and it can also be a useful thing to have anyway.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

At the least, you've got backup data and the like. It could have been a lot worse.

Wish I knew something about good computers for price range, but I'm not good with the hardware end of things, so I can only wish luck on that. X_X;
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

raocow wrote:If I give myself a budget of, say, around 1.5k, what should I expect to get ?
Fifteen Hundred will get you a computer that can run basically anything, so maybe we can finally get that Call of Duty LP everyone's been asking for!
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

raocow wrote: If I give myself a budget of, say, around 1.5k, what should I expect to get ?
https://choosemypc.net/ca/?budget=1500& ... options=os
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

SAJewers wrote:Considering his computer is Ancient, it's probably better for him to just get a new one.

Got a Budget, BTW? We might be able to help you find one.
Wait a second. If that's ancient, mine must be prehistoric. My CPU is an Intel Core2 Quad Q8200 released 2008. raocow's is a 2010 CPU.

Mind you, I did recently have it refurbished for about £50. They cleaned out all the junkware the Hewlett-Packard installed on it and I got a Windows 7 upgrade. Then again, I did ask them about the CMOS battery and though they claimed it was fine and didn't need replacing, it clearly needed replacing. I had to replace it myself. Plus they didn't physically clean out the inside so I had to do that myself as well.
raocow wrote:there's a local shop not too far that gets you the same kind of prices you'd get at like newegg and whatnot, so hopefully I'll should be okay and it shouldn't take too long.

If I give myself a budget of, say, around 1.5k, what should I expect to get ?
Anyway, getting on topic, because my Hewlett-Packard seems to have endured the test of time, I would recommend an HP. I've been eyeing up an
HP ENVY Phoenix 860-010 and...

Actually, no, not that one. That one doesn't appear to be available in my country. Hm...

Hm...
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Oh... that's a shame. At least your computer had a long life. 1500 dollars could get you anything short of a supercomputer. You shouldn't need more than 1000 to find what you're looking for.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Telamon wrote:
raocow wrote:If I give myself a budget of, say, around 1.5k, what should I expect to get ?
Fifteen Hundred will get you a computer that can run basically anything, so maybe we can finally get that Call of Duty LP everyone's been asking for!
Yeah. Unless you want to emulate ROM Hacks with BSNES-Accuracy and the CRT Royale Shader (or WII/GCN games), play VR games, LP/stream something like Call of Duty or Overwatch, or really care about fast rendering of videos, then you can probably cut down $1k and be fine.
Last edited by SAJewers 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

With a new computer it could be a good idea to look into the recording setup too. I'd expect a lot of improvement on the speed and such with a prize like that. I wish you luck with whatever you decide to do.

Edit there might be difference between cad and us dollar too.
Last edited by Willhart 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Nice. The expert help arrived.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Willhart wrote:With a new computer it could be a good idea to look into the recording setup too. I'd expect a lot of improvement on the speed and such with a prize like that. I wish you luck with whatever you decide to do.

Edit there might be difference between cad and us dollar too.
I doubt recording setup would change, outside of maybe being able to record in fullscreen, unless he decided to switch to new software. Video rendering on the other hand, it would be a good idea to look into, especially with access to Intel Quick Sync/AMD VCE/ NVIDIA NVENC.

As for Echancge Rate, xe.com says $1 USD = $1.29 CAD.
heycallmeZe

Post by heycallmeZe »

C$1500 is about US$1160. So...you can get something good from it. You won't have super-fancy stuff ahoy, but in your situation it isn't entirely necessary. You can certainly play about 1080p stuff by my reckoning.

(note my figures are in USD unless otherwise noted)
Likely the two most expensive items you'll need to pick up are the graphics card and the CPU. Most RAM you can easily get for around $50 or $60, even for 16 gigs. You can get a good mobo for under $150. Hard drives...depends on how much you need, and whether you want speed. A 500 Gig SSD costs about $150-200, while the same amount of money will net you a 4-6 TB HDD. My guess is you don't need that much for either, so one or the other for less than $100 is possible.

You can very easily get something set up for about C$1300/US$1k. Set that as your goal, and once you hit that, move the levers up and down a little bit to get the result you want. I'd say at the very least aim for something that can do 1080p gaming reasonably well, since you have the budget for it.
One day, an image will return