(shouting)

VIP 3 Redux: FINAL: Grace of Kings

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Re: VIP 3 Redux: Grassland March

Post by Zummorr »

TaviTurnip wrote:To be fair to that switch block... I have hit switch blocks and had them "double hit" so many times that I would have just assumed that same thing happened and hit it again anyways :1 The least tricky thing in the world because it basically replicates what switches already sometimes do. It wouldn't be normal to overestimate it and assume it's a graphic swap unless you think you (but fail to) remember it from a past experience.

So raocow tricked himself!
It's kinda subtle about itself honestly. I thought it was just raocow being silly and double hit the block with no ASM. I went back and double checked Racow's old playthrough of VIP 3. He hit the block really square on in that run and it flips back for no reason.

Also the fuzzy guys "fire breath" is them yelling something. I think it's been stated before as to what it is, but I do not recall.
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Re: VIP 3 Redux: Grassland March

Post by Telamon »

If you've never watched Maru's videos, get the fuck on it!
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Re: VIP 3 Redux: A Cabinet in the Meadow

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

I like how raocow says that something is hard, and then aces it within a few minutes. I know it won't last, but it's nice while it's there... I think it's because raocow remembers them all.

Cat videos are considered at some point to be art.... While Mizu didn't get into a crowded art festival, other famous cats have...
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

nah the jumping charlies always looked weird
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

I wonder why that one level is called "My Crappy 14th Rewrite". Probably some sort of joke or meme or something. Or the author went through a lot of drafts of the level. Or something.

Also yeah, VIP 3-5 jumping duders have always been that way. Dunno why, they just do.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Unaniem
Desperately trying to figure out just what the hell
First name: Tree

Post by Unaniem »

So I when I started watching this today I was rather confused because I could've sworn Charlies were just regular ol' vanilla Charlies in this hack

I just checked on the second run through rao did of this game and well
What's up with that yo?

Also I always interpreted that the neo-2chan Chuck took on a rastafarian look whenever he jumped for some reason
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

I think this might be an updated version of the Wall portion of the hack, as I couldn't sworn back in the Bowling Alley this hack had the perv cats, post-fixing. Which made the football cats kind of mysterious. I imagine they felt the cats were inappropriate, so they removed their dicks, then made a new version that reverted back to Charlies after realizing the cats were lacking personality without dicks, then made another version that retroactively added VIP 4's bunnydogs.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

raocow went from World 1 to World 5. Again.

Those switches being double triggering is certainly something, even for those two levels.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Re: VIP 3 Redux: A Dip on the Long Island

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Did you go to this world on purpose? I think you wanted to prove your point about the difficulty curve... I thought we'd vote on the levels, in which case I would vote Grass Man.

A monocle AND a cowboy hat... such an imagery makes me smile intensely. Comparing your efforts today and previously, you have more skill now, and should not have too much trouble on making it to a potential life farm....
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Is it that world with Hare of Inaba level in it?

Oh dear, it's like the most broken level ever (I think I flew over it after restarting the game after collecting Midway Point (as there is no real way to fly after Midway Point)).
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

I am somewhat interested in the conversation in the video comments about throwing your key making Phanto worse, because... I kinda don't agree >.> It's an obvious solution, especially underwater. Also I have realized that I did watch about half the old VIP3 LP, no idea why I didn't finish it, but at least the end of the game will be extra interesting for me D:
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Okay, I don't think I know of anything about VIP3 past this point. If I did, then it's a complete blank to me. I see though that there's more of these uh... double hit switches than I thought. I hope they aren't like a standard thing in this game, that'd be silly.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

"This game is really bad" - raocow 2016

It only took 3 episodes.
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Validon98 wrote:I see though that there's more of these uh... double hit switches than I thought. I hope they aren't like a standard thing in this game, that'd be silly.
All ON/OFF switches behave like that in VIP3 (I blame FuSoYa's broken screen scrolling pipes myself, they also break glass blocks (those with a switching power-up in those) in such a way that hitting them pretty much causes you to die). It isn't that big of a deal about ON/OFF switches however, after the first world, I think there are only two levels with ON/OFF switches left, and in both of those, effect of pressing those is immediately obvious.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Just because the Koopalings are Bowser's children doesn't mean they are actually children.

And yes, I know Nintendo now say they're not Bowser's children, but who cares about that. Just like who cares about Paper Mario saying a Boo was once alive, Boos are not actually the spirits of the dead, they are their own species, shut up.
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

Also anything involving Bowser Jr. is just an awful fever dream.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

There is an easy life farm in this world (it's over on the left side).
era64 wrote: All ON/OFF switches behave like that in VIP3 (I blame FuSoYa's broken screen scrolling pipes myself, they also break glass blocks (those with a switching power-up in those) in such a way that hitting them pretty much causes you to die). It isn't that big of a deal about ON/OFF switches however, after the first world, I think there are only two levels with ON/OFF switches left, and in both of those, effect of pressing those is immediately obvious.
I didn't know if what you said about the glass blocks was true, so I cloned one in the life farm level and when I hit it from below (hitting it with a cape does nothing) this happened:
[attachment=0]Mix3_AAEv1_48_00000.png[/attachment]
. But certainly the on/off blocks aren't broken (there are some ones in the video that behave normally). The ones behaving stangely are custom blocks which change the switch status in the ordinary ways (touch from below, cape spin) and if any sprite touches them, but they are set to act like the default switch. Therefore, if the player hits them, they change the switch status twice (once for the custom block, once for the ordinary one), effectively doing nothing, but when the block bounces it is replaced with the invisible solid block and afterwards by an ordinary on/off switch (as this is what the ordinary switch does) so that hitting it "twice" is necessary (you're actually only hitting two different things once each).
Attachments
Mix3_AAEv1_48_00000.png
Mix3_AAEv1_48_00000.png (5.6 KiB) Viewed 4565 times
dont wanna jihad no more
alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Post by alleightbits »

oh man this got serious pretty quickly
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I wonder what was the reason for this game starting early. I remember it was originally meant as an intermission between later non-smw games.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

jayScribble wrote:raocow went from World 1 to World 5. Again.
Interesting to hear the old translations for these levels. Pretty different from Horikawa's.

Or perhaps Horikawa never knew Japanese all along, and she just did a fake translation one time as a joke but everybody believed her and gave her sincere thanks for the translations and now she's in too far to back out, and she's stuck pretending she knows Japanese and making up translations.

The secret's out now, I'm onto you, Horikawa. Or should I say Hori-CON-wa?
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

So her JAPAN topic was also a ruse? The whole drama and debate about nuking Hiroshima was also a ruse?!?!?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

I'd be willing to bet any amount of money that there is a trick that raocow missed and the creator of that level would make it look super-easy
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Here's the level itself, per the VIP wiki:

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

SAJewers wrote:Here's the level itself, per the VIP wiki:

So, in other words, raocow bounced too high on the Banzai Bill to not spawn the small one.

Seeing the map makes some of the puzzles obvious now, but playing it beforehand...
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

I sorta feel like I know what's the problem.

You see, Bullet Bills despawn when you go off-screen vertically for some reason.

Vertical scroll at will setting only updates vertical screen position while running, climbing, swimming or on land.

However, in VIP3, vertical scroll update appears to happen even when in air (and not running). The level was tested (I hope?), but it broke after insertion.

This most likely causes Bullet Bill that should have been here to not spawn.

Perhaps I should try playing this level after copying it to a normal SMW ROM. I'm pretty sure that's the issue however (assuming a level author is not evil, and wouldn't just send a broken level).

Also, you sorta missed an obvious star in Switch Palace. It allows you to obtain way too many lives by attacking throw blocks, and you can get more by dying and repeating the stage. It's the life farm of this world, so to speak.

You aren't done with this island however. Wendy's Castle in World 5 is actually end-game in its difficulty. And the next level that you will be playing demands trials and errors in second part (it's quite badly designed, it's hard to determine how long you should hold B button), which probably is not that great when you have 2 lives left.

If that helps, the glass block level has a life farm nearby its beginning. Vine + Bullet Bill Shooter.