Attachments
bootstrapped v1.zip
(744.94 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
mellonpizza
working
First name: pizza

Re: [115] The Bootstrapped

Post by mellonpizza »

Overall another great level. The gimmick is creative and fun to play and the similar reset system from nitroglycerin betrayal, it's another great action-puzzle level for JUMP. However, I do have a few critiques:

-The last part with the sun feels like it's dragging the level out more than it needs to. The end of the cave segment would have been a perfect end. I feel this room could either be a secret exit or possibly an alt path vs. the cave segment. Though I feel it's fairly creative and shouldn't necessarily be wasted, it's better to be scrapped if a better use isn't found.
-Speaking of the sun, having its position of its arc relative to the camera makes it difficult to avoid sometimes, as a result it sometimes feels the sun is under mario longer than it should. The best way I can think to fix it is to make it move in its arc much faster so the risk of the camera messing up things is reduced (though the time it takes between arcs is the same.)
-Sometimes the volcano lotus pollen feels like it's a bit much, though perhaps it may not be as big an issue with the sun problem solved.

Also a minor point but the bricks which are destroyed by fireballs seem like they shouldn't. Doesn't ruin anything and I kinda got used to it, so might not be as big a deal as I think.
I'm not a YTPMV'er. My goal is towards learning music and eventually making my own content with what I like (in this case ponies). I'm still studying how music works and this is what I can do so far, so to all the ytpmv'ers out there: Please stop following my videos, cause I'm not interested in making chiptune music with your rules you set up on how to make YTPMV's. Also I'd appreciate if you guys would lay off bronies in the comment section, cause these are made for them and not for people who
worldpeace125

Re: [115] The Bootstrapped

Post by worldpeace125 »

I took mellonpizza and lolyoshi's feedback/movie(thank you all) and polished the level.

Done:
- B button also lets you jump when you're riding yoshi in the mud.
- Toned down some obstacles and added some accurate coin guides.
- Added feathers at the reset points in the second half. (both the cave and the sun section) The feather will help you to handle the lotus plants.
- Put a message box to explain what you are supposed to do to avoid the sun.

Todo:
- Add more switch blocks after it's decided which palace comes before this level.
- Maybe remove some message boxes if they're too naggy.
mellonpizza wrote:-The last part with the sun feels like it's dragging the level out more than it needs to. The end of the cave segment would have been a perfect end. I feel this room could either be a secret exit or possibly an alt path vs. the cave segment. Though I feel it's fairly creative and shouldn't necessarily be wasted, it's better to be scrapped if a better use isn't found.
I found the cave part was rather dragging when I watched lolyoshi's playthrough. The sun part was put there as the final short climax thing. This section is actually very short, but it may seem longer than it is when you have some trouble with it. As I made the both part quite easier, I'd just leave the length unchanged right now.
Attachments
bootstrapped v2.zip
(745.49 KiB) Downloaded 84 times