(shouting)

Anime & Manga - this is an official hentai free sight!!!!

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Re: Talkhaus' Bizarre Adventure: Shitpost Crusaders (anime/manga thread)

Post by pholtos »

I am nearing episode 500 in detective conan.... no I did not watch 500 episodes of this anime in a row, I think it was over 5 or 6 phases of watching. I'd watch some and then get tired of it so I'd watch other things then return to it some amount of months later.

I enjoy when plot actually happens in this show rather than random oh hey someone died but it doesn't really matter to the story events.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

personally if something's longer than 50 episodes it has to be pretttty special to be worth it. and most anime is not pretty special
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

well I kinda liked Bleach, considering that I watched it over the course of a year. (an episode per day. the anime has about 365 episodes. go figure.)

not every overly long anime is bad, even if it's not special.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

NGNL was pretty good. Definitely had its problems, but would watch a second season since I imagine it'll happen eventually.

Also, finally started on Bakemonogatari. Been meaning to for a while, but kinda been dissuaded by the amount of content in the series. So far, I can say that I really like the style it has going for it.
E: ...and then the Ep3 opening happened. That's... not what I was expecting, but alright.
E2: I'm just before the final arc. Man, I'm really glad I finally got around to watching this and I'm definitely going to watch the rest of the series. This is pretty great.
E3: That was pretty damn great.
Well, I think I'll find something else to watch in between before I start Nisemonogatari, as much as I'd love to jump straight into it.
Maybe I'll watch Euphonium or Symphogear. I had a deal with a friend that he'd watch Steins;Gate if I watched one of them, and I know he'll love it.
Or maybe Parasyte. I've heard great things about that one.
Nao
Pronouns: he

Post by Nao »

Everyone should watch Welcome to the NHK at some point even though it's pretty old. I bet you will enjoy it even if you are not a fan of comedy / drama stuff.

Oh and also Higurashi if you are into horror and complex stories, and don't mind not knowing what's going on at all for basically 20 episodes.

Those are my two favourite anime, even though I didn't watch very many (maybe around 20).
TheFinalSentinel

I agree.
Still need to fnish NHk though.
Kuupa
That's me on the beat, btw [:
First name: Alex
Pronouns: the male ones

Post by Kuupa »

So last night, my friends and I decided to have a random anime night, where we pressed the random button on KissAnime and tried to find some awful shows. We found some pretty awful shit (my personal favorite being the shitty demon detective that consumes the concepts of mysteries), but we also found Gunsmith Cats, a short little 90's anime with 3 episodes that was kinda amazing. If you have an hour and a half to spare, I would definitely recommend it.

Edit: Found a youtube link for those interested
this bbcode is defined in bbcode.php
[/registered]
So here we are. Plays have been enacted. Empires have come and gone. The mightiest have passed away and withered, alike the least. Fires have burned, thousandfold. Yet, did not the great wind serenely continue its course? Does not the blackbird still sing its song? Does not the mistletoe still dwell in the oak's crown? Forgotten, what once has been told. Veiled, the words that once so rang out. Shrouded, like the larva in its cocoon. Let him hear it, who will.
TheFinalSentinel

Kuupa wrote:So last night, my friends and I decided to have a random anime night, where we pressed the random button on KissAnime and tried to find some awful shows. We found some pretty awful shit (my personal favorite being the shitty demon detective that consumes the concepts of mysteries), but we also found Gunsmith Cats, a short little 90's anime with 3 episodes that was kinda amazing. If you have an hour and a half to spare, I would definitely recommend it.

Edit: Found a youtube link for those interested
this bbcode is defined in bbcode.php
[/registered]
If you're looking for a round 2, might I suggest if you haven't already seen them, a personal favorite of mine, Mars of Destruction (1 episode), and one I found out about the other day that looks promising, Garzey's Wing (3 episodes).
Bedlam
mega cool super
First name: [insert word]lam
Pronouns: guy/man/bob.

Post by Bedlam »

Polar Bear's Cafe is pretty great.
Wolfolotl
cryptid
First name: ovid
Pronouns: xe/xem/xyr

Post by Wolfolotl »

have a sick day and nothing to do for four or more hours? marathon Kaiba (the 2008 anime) or The Tatami Galaxy

both are v good and have super neat art styles and concepts but if you had to choose one I'd recommend Kaiba more because it's good and weird and sad and touching and?? aaaaaAAAAAAA I love it it's probably my favorite anime it only gets better the more I research it
:nb_pride:
Bedlam
mega cool super

Post by Bedlam »

So lately my manga habits have been following a trend of slice of light with various weights.

First off there's Flying Witch, which is a slice of life that mainly focuses on witches and their daily life. It's what I'd call a wafer of a series, light, sweet, but utterly weightless. It's cute and oddly infatuating.

Next is Planetes, which is a pretty psuedo-realistic depiction of near-future space relations. The thing I like about it most though is it doesn't span the species or galaxy like other spece stuff does, it's nearly entirely about the emotions and interactions about a few people that live and work space. It's really heavy and dark at times, be warned.

Finally there's Centaur's Worries, which handles it's central theme of race relations with an oven mitt. It's pretty innocuous overall though, and focuses on the highschool life of a centaur girl as she struggles with most of the stuff you've come to expect from slice of life manga. Also, there's a really interesting underlying lore to everything.

Also, Uchi no Maou Kamimasen Yo is about a typical Japanese family that has the Demon Lord Satan as a pet. It's great. Read it.
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

Bedlam wrote:Next is Planetes, which is a pretty psuedo-realistic depiction of near-future space relations. The thing I like about it most though is it doesn't span the species or galaxy like other spece stuff does, it's nearly entirely about the emotions and interactions about a few people that live and work space. It's really heavy and dark at times, be warned.
Interesting. I've only seen the anime, and I wouldn't describe it as particularly heavy at all.
Bedlam
mega cool super

Post by Bedlam »

Telamon wrote:
Bedlam wrote:boop
Well, I've never seen the anime, so I couldn't tell you how it's different. It's still super good though, and it's a pretty good mixture of up and down.

I don't watch,too many anime anymore, I'm more of a manga person.
TheFinalSentinel

Finally watching Cowboy Bebop.

Seeing it halfway through, I can definitely see how it had a big influence on the industry and why people love it so much.
Maybe it's because I'm only just watching it in 2016, but I have this weird feeling of it's definitely overrated, but yet it still definitely deserves its popularity? Somehow?
It's an interesting feeling.

Probably gonna watch the movie now, and then finish it up in a few days.
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

Something with such a soundtrack cannot possibly overrated.

The anime as a whole is really good, but it's not the best. It does have broad appeal though, which does a lot to help its reputation.
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

Post by Truhan »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsVhwsUFaDE

Let me begin by saying yes, I did mention "reviewing" this in my April Fool's post, but this is NOT an April Fool's post. This is an honest opinion from a self-described Final Fantasy FAN (not fanBOY). If the anime is any indication, Final Fantasy XV is set to be a disaster when it comes to the story and the characters.

It isn't exactly difficult to figure out why. If you watched Spoony's review of XIII, you'll know exactly what I mean. The only thing Square learned from Final Fantasy XIII is that the endless hallway was miserable. This is completely valid, so they went in the direct opposite direction by making the gameplay into GTA V with Kingdom Hearts combat. Maybe this will be good, maybe it won't be, but one thing's for certain, Square learned ABSOLUTELY NOTHING from the travesty that was XIII's story. XV is going to a repeat of every last one of those mistakes.

Let's start with the most obvious thing, THERE IS NO WORLD BUILDING WHATSOEVER. The setting isn't established, we don't know what is and isn't possible in this universe, and most of all, we don't know who the Imperial...uh...Guard are or why we should hate them. World building isn't the most necessary thing when your game is based on, say, Earth, with familiar laws of physics. But it's kind of fucking important when your main character has a weapon that can not only transform into any other kind of weapon, but also teleport him to wherever.

Why can he do this? Why are these people trying to fuck him? Why should I even care when all of the characters are almost gods? XIII had this exact same problem. They threw all these terms like L'Cie and Fal'Cie at you with a fucking dictionary and then called it a day. Guess what? Some exposition is kinda fucking necessary. Nobody reads a fucking dictionary for pleasure. The dictionary should be there to jog your memory when you need it, not to discard exposition.

The characters are, yet again, bland nothingness. What's worse, this time they're making like the Adeptus Astartes - No Girls Allowed. The worst is that you can ONLY play as the main character and never switch, so it's almost pointless to even have the others since they're just AIs that'll never be as good as you. Having no control over characters isn't exactly what Final Fantasy is known for.

Well, whatever, I'm here to bitch about how poorly the characters are developed. Just watch the fucking episode. The characters aren't developed at all. They are their anime archetypes - Ignis is an uptight senpai because he has glasses, the big dude is stronk because he wears no shirt, and Blondie, despite being a Cloud look-alike and probable metrosexual, is the comedy-relief because he's the main character's best friend and that's the role of the best friend. Main character is yet another broody Squall/Cloud-lite.

It's hard to explain, but none of the characters have actions that define them as people. Rather, their actions are defined by their archetype. If you can't answer, for instance, "Why is this girl a tsundere?", if the character has no reason for that beautiful, wonderful tsun-tsun nature, then the character is defined by the archetype and, effectively, has no character. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, except Final Fantasy built up a reputation based on its story and worlds. XIII failed miserably in those areas at least equally to, if not more than, it failed in the gameplay department. XV is going to be on the same level.

If you think I'm shitting on this for no reason, let's examine another main character. This main character is your rogue with a heart of gold. But that's not all there is to him. He's a bit of a perv because he's 16 and the main character of a game developed by a Japanese company. He surrounds himself with people and is extremely adventurous because he's an orphan and wants to discover his birthplace and/or parents. Because he's been alone, he treasures his friends and bonds with people pretty damn quickly.

I just described Zidane, the main character of Final Fantasy IX. The scary thing is, almost all of the characters of Final Fantasy VI are similarly fleshed out. And here we are at entry XV, and the characters no longer have any character or motivation. It's quite astonishing. Why does Noctis have to be yet another Matrix character? He's a fucking prince or something. Why not make him a bit stuck-up, like "ugh, why do I have to sleep in a TENT?" that grows fond of the adventuring life over time? The closest we see to him being "spoiled" is he picks the lettuce and tomato off his burger, as if it's some sin and I don't already pull the pickles out of mine.

Maybe Platinum Demo does a good job of telling Noctis's backstory, but all I have to go on is the anime. I pick up on things pretty quickly, and I have to say, NO NORMAL PERSON will be able to follow XV's story if the anime is an accurate representation.
Last edited by Truhan 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
Friendly Dictator
rad
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Friendly Dictator »

so how about that jojo part 4

what a beautiful duwang
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Post by Truhan »

Friendly Dictator wrote:so how about that jojo part 4

what a beautiful duwang
That's what she said.
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

What? You can't switch characters in Kingdom Hearts. I mean, you can, but not who you're playing as, which is the context of what you were talking about.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Post by Truhan »

Leet wrote:What? You can't switch characters in Kingdom Hearts. I mean, you can, but not who you're playing as, which is the context of what you were talking about.
Oh? I thought You could switch to Donald and Goofy, my memory must be shot from playing XIII. I'll revise my post accordingly.
TheFinalSentinel

Truhan wrote:They threw all these terms like L'Cie and Fal'Cie at you with a fucking dictionary and then called it a day. Guess what? Some exposition is kinda fucking necessary. Nobody reads a fucking dictionary for pleasure. The dictionary should be there to jog your memory when you need it, not to discard exposition.
I'd use Dune as a rebuttal on this particular idea, but that is in no way a fair comparison.
Highly recommended book by me.
Obligitory "I need to abc that xyz again it's been too long" comment.
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Post by Truhan »

TheFinalSentinel wrote:
Truhan wrote:They threw all these terms like L'Cie and Fal'Cie at you with a fucking dictionary and then called it a day. Guess what? Some exposition is kinda fucking necessary. Nobody reads a fucking dictionary for pleasure. The dictionary should be there to jog your memory when you need it, not to discard exposition.
I'd use Dune as a rebuttal on this particular idea, but that is in no way a fair comparison.
Highly recommended book by me.
Obligitory "I need to abc that xyz again it's been too long" comment.
There are other reasons why it just doesn't "work" with Final Fantasy XIII. I haven't read Dune, but I'm 100% sure it's more intelligible than XIII's nonsense. It's not that it can't be done, it's that XIII proved that they can't do it right, yet they're going to do it again. It's like comparing a Lars von Trier film (before he went full moron and announced his support for Hitler and the nazis) to Zack Snyder's films. One uses slow motion in interesting ways to deliver and maximize emotional impact while the other just does it cause it looks cool.
Bedlam
mega cool super

Post by Bedlam »

Man, I've been in a real JRPG parody kick. Anyone got some suggestions?
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Post by Truhan »

Bedlam wrote:Man, I've been in a real JRPG parody kick. Anyone got some suggestions?
I hear KonoSuba isn't complete shit. I hear this from DigiBro, so that should tell you all you need to know. DanMachi is just SAO, according to our lord and savior Demolition D+.
Bedlam
mega cool super

Post by Bedlam »

Truhan wrote:
Bedlam wrote:Man, I've been in a real JRPG parody kick. Anyone got some suggestions?
I hear KonoSuba isn't complete shit. I hear this from DigiBro, so that should tell you all you need to know. DanMachi is just SAO, according to our lord and savior Demolition D+.
I've already seen and read KonoSuba, and it was pretty good. The art style is pleasant, fanservice is more of a background thing (for most episodes) and the ending song is fantastic. The manga for DanMachi is okay, nothing to write home about.

Also, some really good manga for the jrpg parody game are Yuusha ga Shinda! And Senyuu.