(shouting)

Distorted Travesty 3

wanna make a game, or anything else? seminal bloom!
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: Distorted Travesty 3

Post by ano0maly »

I was talking about what gamercal brought up.
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

On a different note... What does Chao's right click do? I do it accidentally a lot, but I never quite figured out what it does, if anything.
I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
jaxter0987

Post by jaxter0987 »

ano0maly wrote:I was talking about what gamercal brought up.
Oh wow, I completely forgot about that change. Man I spent so long doing that puzzle too...
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

Lostsoldier20 wrote:On a different note... What does Chao's right click do? I do it accidentally a lot, but I never quite figured out what it does, if anything.
Nothing at all except for putting down a target that is visual only. Another thing you can do is middle mouse click and hold for more effects. Scroll wheel down for more things.
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

ZephyrBurst wrote:
Lostsoldier20 wrote:On a different note... What does Chao's right click do? I do it accidentally a lot, but I never quite figured out what it does, if anything.
Nothing at all except for putting down a target that is visual only. Another thing you can do is middle mouse click and hold for more effects. Scroll wheel down for more things.
I have to try this now. This sounds like it'll be fun to mess around with now that I know there's options.
I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Finished the game.

Boy, was that ending disappointing and somber. Especially slowly realizing the yt comment that spoiled the ending for me was spot-on.

What bothers me the most is how the Abomination ended up becoming such a non-thing. I expected it to come to our side and wreck the warship by the end, as opposed to just sort of exploding. The Abomination is a literal Distorted Travesty! It would've been perfect having the day saved by one!

With that said, the CHAOS WARMASTER was an incredible fight and after three hours of attrition murdered all of the joints present in my hand. RIP.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Did you try fighting Hexor before the Abomination?
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

No, but I'm aware it results in a bad ending.
jaxter0987

Post by jaxter0987 »

I didn't post this the day I completed it, but I FINALLY got through that fight. That final phase was freaking amazing.
Just a reminder, this is Chapter 20 spoilers:
I love how the "hint" for that phase was forever ago back in the Lava Cave with the Giant Blargg fight. I'm almost sure it's totally not dead though, freaking [ispoiler]--------Hex--------[/ispoiler] .

I'm REALLY disappointed that Zephyr didn't have Jeremy warn them about the possibility of a "point of no return" so we could ACTUALLY have a "point of no return" and not this "You'll have abilities for back tracking purposes" bull. Another location that was kind of a cop out was the Hidden Facility, but given the nature of the dungeon and where it was located in the story, it makes sense that there's no permanently missable items.
Currently back tracking to get the last few things I'm missing before moving on, namely the stuff in Central City that I'm missing.

Edit: Realized that I probably should explicitly mention how spoilerific what I posted was.
Edit2: And 100% item completion... actually not quite, but

I don't know how many Yoshi dolls there are

and I got the achievement so meh. Also on the final boss of the game now. He's well worth the slog of a fight I had to go through to get to him, to say the least.
WhattayaBrian

Post by WhattayaBrian »

jaxter0987 wrote:

I don't know how many Yoshi dolls there are

If you read this post and thought "Wow, what a swell guy, I sure would like to hear his voice and also watch videogames?" then do I have a link for you.

Current Game: Distorted Travesty 3
gamercal

Post by gamercal »

Yo Zephyr, would it be possible to set a page up for this game on GiantBomb? Every time I stream it on Twitch I don't really have anything that I can list it under, since none of the DT games are on there. I think I could set one up (though I don't have an image for the game), but I don't want to look into it without permission from you first.
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat

Post by ZephyrBurst »

On twitch, I set the category to 'Games & Demos'.

Is getting a page on GiantBomb for a game like this even allowed? The only thing I really own for the game is the code, 99ish% of the graphic and audio resources are pulled from other things.
WhattayaBrian

Post by WhattayaBrian »

If you read this post and thought "Wow, what a swell guy, I sure would like to hear his voice and also watch videogames?" then do I have a link for you.

Meowthnum1

Post by Meowthnum1 »

Final boss spoilers

I'm stuck on this guy, but I also feel like he's easier than [ispoiler]Hex[/ispoiler]. Maybe the health bar is just deceptive in making me feel like i'm closer than the other boss, where the health bar isn't super helpful
Meowthnum1

Post by Meowthnum1 »

Beat the game last night. MAJOR, MAJOR SPOILERS FOR THE ENDING

SERIOUSLY SPOILERS [ispoiler]I'm so sad. Hex was anticlimactic, and Warmaster wasn't as hard as people made him out to be. The ending itself really, really depressed me. That being said, after watching today's video (the first Vault video), I'm wondering - is there a good ending? There's certainly the bad ending (fight Hex without beating The Abomination). But the text from the video today, combined with Chao's dialogue after that fight, suggests there's actually a way to save The Abomination that might change the ending? I hope so because I've been pretty sad all day[/ispoiler]
WhattayaBrian

Post by WhattayaBrian »

Nope. No other ending. I'm pretty impressed you had such an easy time with the Warmaster. Most of us are not so lucky!

jaxter0987

Post by jaxter0987 »

I've been stuck on the final boss for awhile now. Hopefully, I can look forward to reading these major spoilerinos soon.
Meowthnum1

Post by Meowthnum1 »

WhattayaBrian wrote:
Nope. No other ending. I'm pretty impressed you had such an easy time with the Warmaster. Most of us are not so lucky!
I think part of it might be that I used Claire almost exclusively after I got the Samus abilities, and Warmaster is much easier with her (I don't think I swapped to Jerry at all during that fight). I was really used to using her. From what I can tell from what I've read since, most people do the opposite. The Warmaster fight felt a lot like Death and Sephiroth - duels that involve a lot of dashing and being willing at times to stop trying to damage him in favor of dodging. The fire/Prometheus stage was a pain though.

Now it's just sickening me to watch raocow play because of the ending. I'm glad you told me there was no alternate ending though - I was thinking about replaying it to get to The Abomination. I had a theory about how one might unlock an alternate ending based on that one invincible boss from DT1. After you beat The Abomination, one of the characters says "There was no way we could have known this would happen ahead of time..." But I figured if you beat The Abomination and then forced a game over, in theory you would know what was coming ahead of time.

tl;dr - Brian, you saved me a lot of time.
jaxter0987

Post by jaxter0987 »

Finally beat the final boss of the game. I'd estimate that I spent a good 6-7 hours on this fight over the course of the two weeks I've been stuck here. For those curious, 106 hours of playtime, with ~4000 deaths. My actual in game death count is lower though since I realized towards the end of the game that I can use "reload from previous save" to arbitrarily lower my death count.
As if it wasn't obvious already, this is major spoilers for the ending of the game: [ispoiler]This ending... At least now I know why its called "Saved Game". I need to go watch the bad end later but first... this somber ending is hampered by the fact that Claire wasn't also equally trying as hard as Jerry to persuade Jeremy from sacrificing himself. And again when Jerry was paralyzed and Chao was largely silent during the Claire and Jerry interaction. I'm just going to hate myself some more and rewatch this end I just got... and then hate myself even more by looking up the bad end right after.[/ispoiler] I'm glad "Clairely the better choice" is one of the possible quotes you get when you swap to Claire cause she honestly was the better choice in that fight. [ispoiler]Missles > Wind Form, Being able to shoot upwards > Ice Form, Daggers + Holy Water > Fire Form until he gains Pierce Immunity, and Longer Melee Range > Standard Form. I only used Jerry for the initial part of the Ice Form to front load X-Buster damage and during the last stretch where Warmaster gains Pierce Immunity in Fire Form making Shotgun Ice the best way to deal damage to him.

Speaking of the Fire Form, I HATE THAT FORM THE MOST. THE STUPID DASH ATTACK THAT SPAWNS PILLARS OF FLAMES!!![/ispoiler]
Meowthnum1 wrote:
WhattayaBrian wrote:
I think part of it might be that I used Claire almost exclusively after I got the Samus abilities, and Warmaster is much easier with her (I don't think I swapped to Jerry at all during that fight). I was really used to using her. From what I can tell from what I've read since, most people do the opposite. The Warmaster fight felt a lot like Death and Sephiroth - duels that involve a lot of dashing and being willing at times to stop trying to damage him in favor of dodging. The fire/Prometheus stage was a pain though.

Now it's just sickening me to watch raocow play because of the ending. I'm glad you told me there was no alternate ending though - I was thinking about replaying it to get to The Abomination. I had a theory about how one might unlock an alternate ending based on that one invincible boss from DT1. After you beat The Abomination, one of the characters says "There was no way we could have known this would happen ahead of time..." But I figured if you beat The Abomination and then forced a game over, in theory you would know what was coming ahead of time.

tl;dr - Brian, you saved me a lot of time.
I'm keeping this double layer of anti spoiler security thing going: [ispoiler]That suggestion for getting a good ending, or at least a different one is pretty nice. Jeremy was the one that said that there's no way. We've already seen that Jerry and Claire clearly retain memories after deaths and Jeremy is in an even better position for that.

As cool as it would be for that to be the solution though, forcing the player to game over on their own accord after such an arduous fight is pretty mean spirited. There's also the weird bit about Plot Armor and Power Glove being in treasure chests after that fight. The easy solution while keeping in line with this "force game over thing" would be to move the items to another map to the right of the Great Colossal Falloff. That way, the player forfeits the "good" end when they leave the map. There'd still need to be more hints on the "forced game over thing" though, preferably subtly over the course of the game where someone remarks on how with each successive death, Jerry and Claire are learning more and more and getting better at the game.[/ispoiler]
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat

Post by ZephyrBurst »

There was definitely a lot of temptation on my end to secretly have an ending where all the characters live. After all, I prefer good endings myself and this being a video game about video games, things like that hidden away for people to uncover was an idea. In the end though, I decided to not fight with myself anymore and keep to the ending I originally had in mind.
jaxter0987

Post by jaxter0987 »

I've been watching videos of different talkhaus users beating the final boss and for the ones I've seen so far (gamercal's and whattayabrian's), I love how we all end up fighting the boss roughly the same way, with a few little tricks each person has developed.

Here's a video of my successful run of the fight:

Like how Brian used Railgun for the Wind Form, whereas gamercal and I stuck with normal missiles. Brian opted to wait out the Standard Form (for the most part) after the sword slash waves gained extra distance, while gamercal went for a dash in dash out thing in between sword swings and I punished him when he does that bomb attack. gamercal kept with using Claire to damage the Fire Form even after the Pierce Resistance, while Brian and I opted for Jerry's Shotgun Ice.
Just watched the bad end:
[ispoiler]So Hex was using the time you spent on the Abomination to rig the cores to overload. And in all seriousness, the true ending is only slightly better than the bad ending. Instead of ALL the characters you care about dying, ALL but ONE of the characters you care about dies. And its the character that was introduced the latest in the series with the least amount of characterization. Sure, you can piece together Chao's character from scans and from how she behaved in DT2 but Claire's was more developed simply due to how often she interacted with Jerry, alongside her Nightmare Gate (which I'm still upset about how I can't revisit it). Plus the player is more attached to Jerry and Claire since you've been playing as them the entire time.[/ispoiler] Fun stuff...
jaxter0987

Post by jaxter0987 »

Sorry for the double post but I think I found a bug? I haven't been able to reproduce it consistently, nor do I have an idea about why its happening. This is on the latest version 1.0.2.2.

Gate 6 spoilers:

Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

WORDS.

(Endgame story spoilers)

Zephyr, I really did not like the ending. It made me feel like all that effort I put forth was wasted. Like what was even the point of playing the game if that's the reward?

Now, don't get me wrong, it isn't that I just don't like sad endings. Sad endings are fine. But this one kind of came out of nowhere. While DT3 was darker than the previous two games, the Distorted Travesty series, to me, always felt mostly light-hearted, revisiting old games we enjoy and making fun of game mechanics that bugged us. And occasionally making us feel frustrated as hell, but always with the knowledge that we could play better and win. The sad ending in which the world is saved, but all the heroes (save Chao) die and the survivors are left despondent feels extremely ill-fitting to the series.

I don't know if you were just trying to subvert everyone's expectations by not having a happy ending, or if this is your way of making it clear to everyone that Distorted Travesty is over and no more games in the series will be coming, but I felt like it could have been handled better.

I still think the game is an excellent one, and the story writing was for the most part greatly improved in this installment. I'm just offering some criticism on what I feel was a weak point... granted, a weak point that is rather obtrusive due to the fact that it's the ending. Should you continue to make games in the future, I would be happy to see what you can do.
Count Mohawk

Post by Count Mohawk »

lordalexander74 wrote:Also, any other hints for the Overcoming Yourself achievement? Having trouble figuring that one out.
I figured this one out. I won't be saying directly how to do it (at least not yet); however, as the hooray-you've-beaten-the-game hint says,

collecting this achievement does indeed require you to perform an action outside the game

Also, let me add on to Dark Hunter's commentary. Again, end-of-game spoilers, do not open if you haven't beaten the game yet!
I don't have a problem with sad endings in general, but this one in particular sat badly in my gut for a while. Let me quote a comment I left on WhattayaBrian's video #56 from his Let's Play of the game, as I think it sums up my feelings quite well:
"Man, what an ending! But it didn't sit right with me. It took me a little while to think it over, but I think I know why now:

Despite the best efforts of our protagonists, Hexor wins in the end.

Sure, the world is still intact and Chao escaped the destruction of the Warship, but all of his other goals were realized: He killed off the player characters, defeated his hated enemy Jeremy and no longer exists himself. Even the sentient part of The Darkness is gone, which is possibly the worst thing about it since it means that the stated goal of the game ("defeat the Virus and save The Darkness") was never attainable at any point during the game!

...Come to think of it, does any character ever refer to The Darkness by that name? This feels entirely relevant.

I hope Zephyr shares his thoughts on this final piece of the last game in the trilogy at some point. I'm dying to know why he chose to write the ending the way he did, and why he chose not only to bring back Hexor from his apparent demise, but also to make him outwit the players at every turn of the game. Is this the true meaning of the "Travesty" part of the game's name?"

Now, admittedly looking back at the events of the game in hindsight, the actual outcome of the final conflict is a little more understandable, especially considering Jeremy's relative uselessness throughout, but it's still a real player punch to work so hard for an outcome that's only marginally better than the alternatives. I heard that the ending was going to be different in a previous alpha build and was changed just before release, but unfortunately Hadriex took about a week too long in getting up to the final boss and killing him, so there's no video footage of said mythical third ending.

And another end-of game thought regarding

--------Hex--------

. Spoilers for the final chapter, specifically the second-to-last boss:

Why does Warship!Hex have no Dev Commentary in his scan data? That's a missed opportunity if ever there was one - or did you think you couldn't write something about him without spoiling the few remaining twists that were yet to come?

Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

I did some more thinking, and I think I've determined why WORDS. (Still endgame spoilers)

All the characters we care about die (except Chao). Every single character who had a scrap of development and we've come to like gets killed off (except Chao). The only survivors are the one-dimensional bit characters (and Chao).

And Chao surviving doesn't soften the blow, because she literally does nothing upon the ending. She just vanishes.

I know some people have said that they don't really care about the plot, that it's just there as an excuse for the gameplay, but I actually ended up liking our group of sarcastic gamers. And now the game ends, and nobody we the audience actually care about gets a happy ending, which comes across as a bit of a punch to the gut.

Again, I hope I'm not coming off as too critical. I still do believe the Distorted Travesty trilogy was an amazing set of games and I had a lot of fun with them. The ending was just very jarring and a little upsetting to me is all. I too would love to hear Zephyr's side of this, and why he wrote it that way.

And with that, I feel I've said my piece. Thank you for your time.