(shouting)

[120] THROW

Half a jump is still a jump
Flan

[120] THROW

Post by Flan »

Image Image

A moderately difficult autoscrolling level for the normal exit. The secret exit, however, is trickier, requiring precise platforming and mechanic abuse. It's unfinished at the time of posting, but the level is playable up until the midpoint, and as such, the secret exit can be obtained too. The No Yoshi flag should be enabled, but isn't currently.

It's been a while (years) since I've had a go at SMW hacking, though, so feedback/criticism would be much appreciated. Specifically, difficulty and breakability—of the throw block challenge in particular—are things I'm concerned about. Maybe the palette and level name too.
Attachments
THROW.zip
(507.95 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Last edited by Flan 7 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
aterraformer

Re: [120] THROW

Post by aterraformer »

I've had a great deal of trouble with this level. The secret seems bonkers when I'm having enough trouble without block babysitting. I like the concept though, so I don't know. The power up on screen 6, is that supposed to be possible to get without a throw block? Screens 8 through B are where my troubles really start. Everything is so damn tight. I don't think I ever got past screen 9 small only or with keeping my power up. I get that with a block throw, this section could be much more viable but would it even be possible to do this and get the next block? Anyways, C was as far as I ever got. I made a dumb mistake so not necessarily a fault of the level besides the time to react due to the autoscroll nature of the level. The rest seems fine though I can't say for sure since I have yet to play it.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Flan

Post by Flan »

Yeah, I was worried the secret might be too difficult. I can usually get it in a few lives, but knowing the layout of everything is obviously a pretty huge advantage.

The power up on screen 6 is meant to only be obtainable with a throw block (I place a rather high value on feathers), but if the level proves too difficult I could change that.

As for screen 9, I'll see what I can do. With the throw block you're meant to drop it before the chuck and fish to kill them and then kick it to kill the next chuck and get the next throw block. Without the throw block, it probably is too tight though. I'll see if I can adjust the position of the first chuck or maybe just replace him with something else.

Was there anything else in particular that was a problem with A-C, and are the dragon coins placed alright? I positioned them with them immediately saving after being obtained in mind, so if that patch won't be in the final version I'll make them easier to get. I may also make the timing on the throw blocks a little less tight, since I find that right now you really need to wait for them to be on the far left of the screen before picking them up most of the time.

Thanks for the feedback.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Flan wrote:Was there anything else in particular that was a problem with A-C, and are the dragon coins placed alright? I positioned them with them immediately saving after being obtained in mind, so if that patch won't be in the final version I'll make them easier to get. I may also make the timing on the throw blocks a little less tight, since I find that right now you really need to wait for them to be on the far left of the screen before picking them up most of the time.
Besides A being a tad tight as well, I see no other issues. This hack won't be including the dragon coin patch nor will they have any real significance outside maybe an extra star on the title screen but probably not. Take that as you will.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Flan

Post by Flan »

Decided to scrap having a second half, and made it a short one exit gauntlet instead. A lot of areas have been made a lot less tight, some have been changed a bit, and reset doors have been added at each throw block station. Unless it's still too difficult, this should be complete.
Attachments
THROW.zip
(508.05 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
a guy

Post by a guy »

This level is pretty hard.
Updated version is better. Overall I like it better, except screen 09 I preferred when you could kick the block directly to the vine, now you cant anymore, but that's just me. Updated version is fine too.
Using jumping fish as an obstacle is pretty good. It's just that they jump randomly, so sometimes if you're unlucky they become too hard to avoid. But that's rare occurrence, and on screen 00 and 05 you can kill them before taking the block.
Sometime the grey platform on screen 07 close to the red block doesnt spawn. It doesn't matter much anyway. But still.
Honestly I would prefer if you kept the normal exit. Having two exit, one doing the level with and one without the throw block would be better. So people would first try to do the level without and learn the layout of the level then try it with the block after. One exit mean most people with try directly to complete the level while holding the block and obviously they will lose the block at new obstacle they didn't know.
Also I think reset door are useless since they bring back to be beginning. It's faster to start+select (but normally you can't) or even die.
In term of difficulty it's very hard but fine by me. All I can think to maybe change is to had a power-up somewhere. Level is pretty long and hard and there's only one.
Flan

Post by Flan »

Good points. I've removed the reset doors and put a normal exit at the end, instead. Maybe it could be a 'dummy' exit on the overworld? It doesn't really matter.

I still don't want a second half because it'd feel like filler.

The jumping fish moving randomly was something I was aware of, so I tried to place them in positions where that doesn't matter too much. If you play optimally you usually have enough time to kick them anyway. Same with the grey platform, though I had thought I'd fixed that. I'll just replace it with clouds and put a powerup where the chuck before it is. In turn, this makes the fish at that point slightly more of an obstacle.

Lastly, I've moved the second chuck at screen 9 further back, hopefully making it far less annoying.

Thanks.

New version below and in the OP.
Attachments
THROW.zip
(508.01 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
Flan

Post by Flan »

last update i hope???

- Replaced question block mushroom with a mushroom that's just at the start
- Removed an annoying chuck
- Removed RNG fish