(shouting)

Distorted Travesty 3

wanna make a game, or anything else? seminal bloom!
jaxter0987

Re: Distorted Travesty 3

Post by jaxter0987 »

More Gate 6:
I've already been using the Golden Shield equip. I just need to get better at parrying. It's mainly when he ramps up the speed of his horizontal slash that gets me. If I miss the first parry, I'm likely to miss the next 3 which results in 12-24 damage taken right there.

For now, I've decided to take a longer break and go look around for collectibles I couldn't reach before.

Edit: Another image for you to take a gander at Zephyr. Goes without saying but Gate 6:
http://imgur.com/iodx3BP
No idea what happened here. Some combination of jumping, dashing, double jumping and possibly shooting caused this.
Edit2: Turns out it was none of the above. I simply can't switch to Jerry otherwise that pops up. Its not just that specific map either. After some testing, this happens on maps Vault 5 to Vault 12 and ONLY when the left most teleporter is used. Once I enter Vault 13 or Vault 4, the problem is fixed. None of the other teleporters seem to cause problems. It also happens with either character not just with Claire.

Edit3: Finally beat Nightmare Gate 6.
I don't know if I can repeat what I managed to do in the last phase. I parried like 20 attacks in a row...
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

Oh boy... Speaking of Nightmares, I had Final Nightmare do this to me:

http://imgur.com/HRwtmll

I died to the orb so I don't know if the arm hurt, but I assume it would. It was permanently extended because I phase-shifted him as he was shooting it out. I'll have video of it tomorrow. Luckily this is an almost minor glitch, so that you're going to update less isn't an issue.
I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

To help players or viewers that aren't familiar with the first two games, or don't remember them well and want a refresher on the story up to this point, I made a "The Story Thus Far" video. It expands on the Back Story summary provided in DT3 title screen.

Click
jaxter0987

Post by jaxter0987 »

Chapter 17 spoilers, quite possibly towards the end of the chapter:
Doubled because this seems really plot heavy:
[ispoiler]Please, please, PLEASE tell me its not possible to stop the Virus from infecting Sera.[/ispoiler]
It feels like it is possible and I'm just bad but I don't want to continue throwing away deaths if it was impossible to begin with.

[ispoiler]I can go be meta about this and assume that its not possible, given that there'd be an entire boss fight that is skipped, but the map header...[/ispoiler]
http://imgur.com/HPPZxi0

Edit: I ended up going with my assumption. I feel like there could be an achievement (as in, you could make one) for this but I guess its just unavoidable.
Last edited by jaxter0987 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

jaxter0987 wrote:Chapter 17 spoilers, quite possibly towards the end of the chapter:
It is not possible to skip that fight, but remember I'm a dick, so I made it appear that way. After some time, they'll overwhelm.
jaxter0987

Post by jaxter0987 »

Curses... good thing I stopped throwing away deaths by making a back up of my save and just moving on. Its funny how you responded at the same time as when I posted about moving on.
gamercal

Post by gamercal »

I remember "surviving" that encounter for a good 3-4 minutes before I just gave up cause I realised it was fruitless lol. The

Plasma Canister

was absolutely amazing for keeping everything at bay for extended periods of time!
lordalexander74

Post by lordalexander74 »

Also, before I miss it, can someone remind me which chapter/location the flashback for the Double Cutscene achievement takes place?
Thanks
jaxter0987

Post by jaxter0987 »

lordalexander74 wrote:Also, before I miss it, can someone remind me which chapter/location the flashback for the Double Cutscene achievement takes place?
Thanks
Chapter 15. You'll know it when you see it but in case you don't for whatever reason

When you're sent to Dream Woods

. I'm slighted when I realize some of the achievements are actually missable.
lordalexander74

Oh bleh, I just passed that point too. I don't suppose anyone has a save file just before that point?
Hold that thought...
Wait, aren't there two points at which you visit the woods? One just before the fire temple, with solo Jerry, and another with both characters. Which one is the flashback in?

Yep, it's the 2nd visit. Good to know i didn't miss it.

How bout an achievement related to busting the clouds in Gate 6? Good place for another MLP reference
jaxter0987

Post by jaxter0987 »

I don't consider

playing as solo Jerry part of "being sent" to Dream Woods. You kind of were just there already.

I thought about the clouds, but I didn't see any achievement titles that hinted at that and it felt like it was too much trouble.

Chapter 17
I HATE Blood Viruses. Dear lord that encounter right before the boss took so many of my lives to figure out how to handle them. I got so frustrated at how fast they're able to life steal...
lordalexander74

So for the Swordswoman achievement, is it based on time, or do you have to parry every single one of the boss' attacks? And not get hit at at all.

Also, any other hints for the Overcoming Yourself achievement? Having trouble figuring that one out.
jaxter0987

Post by jaxter0987 »

So even though I posted about Chapter 17 last time, I was well ahead of that point when I posted it. I just didn't think to post about it until I realized how I never got across how annoying that was. Seriously screw those things.

On Chapter 19 now and man...
The [ispoiler]------------Abomination------------[/ispoiler] is my current wall. [ispoiler]I'd get to the final (?) phase where the parasite reveals itself but I wouldn't know how to damage it. Like I can see that I can shoot missiles down with Claire and maybe throw in a Link bomb with Jerry but there's just so much crap going on that its hard to avoid everything. Its in such an awkward spot to hit, even more awkward than the right side weak spot on the third set of weak points. I even got to that part with full health but I just got overwhelmed by everything that I died pretty quickly[/ispoiler] It's probably just a case of "git gud scub" but man... it took my so long just to even get to that point.

Nightmare Gate H spoilers:
Is it supposed to disappear after clearing it? I kind of wanted to relive how creepy it was the first time I went through it. Like I freaked the hell out when I noticed that I had to hide, turn off /on the lights, and had gimped movement as well as no offensive options.
gamercal

Post by gamercal »

jaxter0987 wrote:So even though I posted about Chapter 17 last time, I was well ahead of that point when I posted it. I just didn't think to post about it until I realized how I never got across how annoying that was. Seriously screw those things.

On Chapter 19 now and man...
The [ispoiler]------------Abomination------------[/ispoiler] is my current wall. [ispoiler]I'd get to the final (?) phase where the parasite reveals itself but I wouldn't know how to damage it. Like I can see that I can shoot missiles down with Claire and maybe throw in a Link bomb with Jerry but there's just so much crap going on that its hard to avoid everything. Its in such an awkward spot to hit, even more awkward than the right side weak spot on the third set of weak points. I even got to that part with full health but I just got overwhelmed by everything that I died pretty quickly[/ispoiler] It's probably just a case of "git gud scub" but man... it took my so long just to even get to that point.

Nightmare Gate H spoilers:
Is it supposed to disappear after clearing it? I kind of wanted to relive how creepy it was the first time I went through it. Like I freaked the hell out when I noticed that I had to hide, turn off /on the lights, and had gimped movement as well as no offensive options.
I don't know if this will help you at all, but this is one of the few boss fights I actually did record and upload onto YouTube. I had already spent hours doing this, and it was a really poor final phase, but it should at least show my strategy off:

I show my equips at the end, but Jerry had the Buster shot changer, Tactful Helm and Crossbow, whereas Claire had Force Armour, Sword of Bravery and the Plasma Canister. Kevlar Vest and the Dragon Pin thingy for more iframes are good alternatives for Jerry, but Claire's setup is pretty optimal imo. She could make use of the faster Missile charge equip, but it really helps activate the instruments by shooting through the tentacle things in the first two phases.

For the final phase, the main thing to watch for is the missile ring from the centre. They're streamable, but you want to be sure that you aren't jumping over the centre when they show up or bad things will likely happen. You also need to jump when the alien bug things drop down, cause as you know by now their explosions hurt a ton. As for offence, Diffusion Missiles are probably the best thing to use. Wait until the missile ring has fired and then go for it. Go for two or three shots (three if you have the charge time equip on), then back off and focus on dodging. Using Diffusion Missiles means that this phase shouldn't take a huge number of hits, so keep at it! You're almost there!
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

jaxter0987 wrote:On Chapter 19 now and man...
Use Holy Water. With 200 hearts, you can spam the hell out of it. Long as you're near the edge, you can't miss. As for dodging, the group of like 15 parasites it shoots out, bait them up and left/right (I used the left side of the arena, it's better imo) as they start to fire, also using a dodge if needed. If you time it right, as they launch out of the circle, they will self-stream, no longer being an issue. The rest of the time, just focus on dodging the bomb parasites. They have the same pattern every time, so know where to stand, as eventually the circle of parasites will time to shoot out during their fall, rather than after like it starts out as.

It is a 4 minute+ fight, so just keep war of attrition-ing it. You'll get it down eventually. That is the actual final phase, so you're very close.
I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
jaxter0987

Post by jaxter0987 »

I went to the boss gallery after a few more failed attempts at it. This is probably the only Gold time I'm proud of. Gate 6:
The Par time was 10 secondsImage

Thanks for the advice by the way.
I didn't think to use
Holy Water nor Diffusion Missiles at all. There certainly is enough down time to charge up Diffusion Missiles and I somehow forgot about how Holy Water was pretty good at hitting enemies below you. I'm even starting to think that I can probably even get away with using Jerry's Arrows if I aimed them down while at the edge.
lordalexander74

Zephyr, I think I broke something
Got to the Chaos facility in the starry hills. While in the morph ball tunnel, I noticed the Warmaster and Hex weren't going through their usual discussion. I was able to continue on and enter the room they were in. They were still there, though I couldn't interact with them at all. I moved on, but the strike chain boss fight wouldn't activate. Entered the room and nothing happened. I tried going back, but those multi-switch barriers were still active, essentially trapping me.
Juanbro
Old school gamer...at least in theory

Post by Juanbro »

Wow, I finished Gate 5 two days ago...

I must say that you nailed in every way how a Ridley fight goes, and all the ending sequence, with the escape, the "last stand" of Ridley was super epic. Imagine if you needed to do the three phased Ridley fight, the escape sequence, and the "last stand" in one go...and without refilling health...man, imagine how frustrating that would be.

By the way, is it intentional to be able to break Mother Brain's fight? I don't how, but I managed to find that you can stand right next to the Brain, and just jump to avoid everything (you don't even need to move if you time your jumps). However, you can do the same thing in Zero Mission...so, maybe it is intentional?

Right now I am doing Nightmare D, but, boy, the boss is kicking me all over the place despite being kind of easier than other bosses.
Meowthnum1

Post by Meowthnum1 »

I love this series so much. I have to say, some of the fights that I've hated the most

Death, the boss of Nightmare Gate G, some of the cursed fights

have been the ones I've looked back on and thought they were among the most fun experiences I've ever had in a video game.

I'm doing some item collection before the final dungeon (at least that's what the game is leading me to think), and for the life of me, I can't find all of the items in Central City - North. In particular, I'm missing a heart piece, a wallet upgrade, a quiver upgrade, and three skill points. I'm assuming the skill points

come from the optional tower defense levels

. Any tips on the other items? I'm at a complete loss because

the itemfinder isn't picking up anything

Last edited by Meowthnum1 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
jaxter0987

Post by jaxter0987 »

Yeah, I've been missing items in Central City North for the longest time. I actually forgot about that optional thing, so I'm probably going to screw around with that for awhile.

Edit: Just go do the optional thing. Thats where all the missing stuff is.

And holy spoilers batman, people shouldn't mouse over Meowthnum1's first spoiler unless they've reached the end of Nightmare Gate G. Also, if people weren't following the DT3 LP thread, I finally got over that Chapter 19 hurdle and moved on with the game past the area connected to the 13th teleport tablet.
Boss fight spoiler:
Man the Decimator boss fight felt great, at least the first half did. The second half with John kept annoying me but that was just due to me being bad. The Dragoon portion after that fight though... Its great to learn I'm still terrible at shmups.
gamercal

Post by gamercal »

Item location spoilers:

All of the items you're missing are in the Tower Defence optional levels. The Heart Piece is in the first one, so you can fairly easily max your life out.
gamercal

Post by gamercal »

I just thought of something really random regarding one of the late-game sections that I am genuinely curious about how it would work... but I don't have a save file to test it with. Welp!

So, I forget exactly what the place was called, but there's this one area near the end of the game that's kinda like a dreamscape or something? You have to chase Warmaster through it and there's a weird world-destroying thing at the end etc. Hopefully you know the place I mean. Within there somewhere was this really wacky multi-switch puzzle where the solution was to use a charged Shotgun Ice to hit most of the switches at once, picking off the stragglers with other weapons. But charged X weapons are optional items... what happens if you go into there without getting them? As far as I remember there is no escaping that place via teleport or anything, Jeremy and Chao are locked out at that time, and if you don't have charged Ice there's literally no way to beat the puzzle. Does the game think of this like it does with a few other exploit situations?
jaxter0987

Post by jaxter0987 »

gamercal wrote:I just thought of something really random regarding one of the late-game sections that I am genuinely curious about how it would work... but I don't have a save file to test it with. Welp!

So, I forget exactly what the place was called, but there's this one area near the end of the game that's kinda like a dreamscape or something? You have to chase Warmaster through it and there's a weird world-destroying thing at the end etc. Hopefully you know the place I mean. Within there somewhere was this really wacky multi-switch puzzle where the solution was to use a charged Shotgun Ice to hit most of the switches at once, picking off the stragglers with other weapons. But charged X weapons are optional items... what happens if you go into there without getting them? As far as I remember there is no escaping that place via teleport or anything, Jeremy and Chao are locked out at that time, and if you don't have charged Ice there's literally no way to beat the puzzle. Does the game think of this like it does with a few other exploit situations?
I solved it without needing charged Shotgun Ice. I don't remember how exactly but I remember that charged X specials were some of the last things I went back for. And I didn't seriously start going back for items until after I found the itemfinder which was also found pretty late into the game.

Chapter 20 spoilers and pretty big ones:
Ugh... [ispoiler]----------Hex----------[/ispoiler] is such a slog of a fight. I don't have nearly as many attempts as some of the other bosses that gave me trouble but I feel like I've spent just as long working my way through the fight. I got to the point where [ispoiler]Jerry loses his Mega Man abilities and then I promptly died because I took so much damage in between Jerry being paralyzed for a phase and that phase I just reached[/ispoiler]
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Your Bomberman bombs work pretty well at that switches part.
jaxter0987

Post by jaxter0987 »

ano0maly wrote:
Your Bomberman bombs work pretty well at that switches part.
I technically didn't even get far enough into the phase to see that but I guess that's one thing I don't have to learn on the spot. I've yet to go through the part with the 4 lighting obstacles + red stuff falling from the ceiling without getting hit a bunch, nor have I gotten through the morph ball danmaku portion without take a couple of hits. This leads to me grinding up hearts in the following phase which contributes to the length of the fight. I can't just willingly go in blind (was blind before but now I'm more aware of the later phases) with only half my health.
I can't make more than a few attempts in one sitting at this. Its just too frustrating. I'll never use Assist Mode though, and I certainly won't be giving up. 100+ hours sunk into this already.

Edit: So after my latest attempt it seems I made it to the last phase (found this out by digging through a couple of gamercal's posts as it seems he also had a lot of trouble with this boss).

I hate losing both Mega Man and Samus sets sooo much. It makes breaking through the lightning barrier so much more difficult. I went as far as to trigger the loss of dashes but I died immediately after the text pop up.

Last edited by jaxter0987 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.