(shouting)

The Haus of Talk Thread

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Re: Twitter Thread

Post by Ivy »

Rusbojis wrote:sometimes i just wish i could be someone else
just anyone but me
excellent. prepare the donald trump body transplant
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
momo

Post by momo »

Ivy wrote:
Rusbojis wrote:sometimes i just wish i could be someone else
just anyone but me
excellent. prepare the donald trump body transplant
i hate this
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

InsaneIntentions1 wrote:Even the glitches remain intact!
The MissingNo. glitch is the only reason gen 1 is so good, lol. Personally I find gen 3 best for gameplay and graphics.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

i hate that feeling where like. you want to talk to somebody, but you never approach them for conversation because you want to talk to them ALL the time so if you bothered them every time you wanted to talk to them you'd just be annoying.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

Leet wrote:i hate that feeling where like. you want to talk to somebody, but you never approach them for conversation because you want to talk to them ALL the time so if you bothered them every time you wanted to talk to them you'd just be annoying.
Oh that's ALWAYS fun to feel.

My issue when it comes to stuff similar-ish is more, "I'm probably a bother to them."
Maiku Wotaharu
Karaoke Enthusiast and Honorary Armless Bipedal Cycloptic Demon
First name: You'll figure it out.

Post by Maiku Wotaharu »

ZephyrBurst wrote:
Leet wrote:i hate that feeling where like. you want to talk to somebody, but you never approach them for conversation because you want to talk to them ALL the time so if you bothered them every time you wanted to talk to them you'd just be annoying.
Oh that's ALWAYS fun to feel.

My issue when it comes to stuff similar-ish is more, "I'm probably a bother to them."
I know the feeling. I often feel like I'm just pestering people when I want to hang out with them. It sucks to feel that way.
The best part of waking up is...knowing where you are.

FINALLY, SOME MOSTS USERBARS!
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

I just find I don't have anything interesting to say to most people. I'm more of a passive listener than an engaging conversationalist. There's been a few talkhaus people who have said like five things to me then nothing ever again. One person just constantly shits out "Hi Argue" at me and nothing else. I'm not sure if I'm expected to say more than hello back but if I respond then I'm not feeling like an asocial prick
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Hi Argu!

In other news, I'm no longer sure whether my LPs are Lets Plays or Long Plays. They're somewhere between the two due to my preference for letting the game speak for itself when possible while still not actually being a Long Play. I'm just going to call them LPs and let people decide for themselves.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Zeldamaster12

Post by Zeldamaster12 »

Happy leap year, guys!!!
stuff goes here
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Post by tangy »

remember however long ago when i said plug.dj was having its final moments?

well its back
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

39°C fever heck yeah
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

Language stupidity ahead.

How should one quote the preceding "language stupidity ahead" in the middle of the sentence? Should the speaker say "language stupidity ahead," followed by a comma-pause, would the comma then be within or without the quotation marks? Do you include the original period or does the new comma supersede the original period (as both are pauses)?

Fansub editing is fun ^^;
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
No Lynch
Pronouns: she

Post by No Lynch »

Punctuation is usually left inside the quotation marks, like "ham and cheese."
Typically, when you're changing a quote that had a sentence-ending punctuation to be in the middle of a sentence, the comma supersedes the other punctuation.

Person 1: I'm going to eat a ham.
Person 2: That guy said he was gonna "eat a ham," but I don't think he's actually being serious about that.
Zeldamaster12

Post by Zeldamaster12 »

It's felt wonderful outside these past couple days. I think spring is finally here!
stuff goes here
Pikabread
we're gonna talk about e
First name: lily
Pronouns: she/her/xe/xem

Post by Pikabread »

Zeldamaster12 wrote:It's felt wonderful outside these past couple days. I think spring is finally here!
that's what I thought and now it's snowing
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused
First name: Tom

Post by QubicTom »

So, after a few super stressful days with issues at the second job, I've found a solution: Don't rely on anyone else, do everything yourself! Less stress, less people are let down or disappointed.

(I relied on my boss to do one thing Monday morning, he didn't do it, let it escalate, didn't do it Tuesday either, and looks like he can't do it tomorrow. I've already lost a night's sleep over it, so yeah, driving 110 miles tomorrow to solve the problem myself.) (sometimes I feel like my entire life is thinking for other people who can't think for themselves, and putting in lots of effort to dig people out of holes they put themselves into. Bleh)

And that's my Twitter Thread moan over with :lol:
Leet

Post by Leet »

No Lynch wrote:Punctuation is usually left inside the quotation marks, like "ham and cheese."
Typically, when you're changing a quote that had a sentence-ending punctuation to be in the middle of a sentence, the comma supersedes the other punctuation.

Person 2: That guy said he was gonna "eat a ham," but I don't think he's actually being serious about that.
While this is true, it's also stupid and doesn't make any sense. What the person said should be in a quotes ("eat a ham") and the comma is your own, so that shouldn't go there. And yet it does anyway.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Learning-Timebuster
First name: Lυka
Pronouns: xe or she

Post by Learning-Timebuster »

Leet wrote:While this is true, it's also stupid and doesn't make any sense. What the person said should be in a quotes ("eat a ham") and the comma is your own, so that shouldn't go there. And yet it does anyway.
its things like this that are the reason i dont talk in Proper English anymore
"i like bugs"
t
128-Up
Captain Aiwana

Post by 128-Up »

Got a new headset today. Woo.

Still feel awful over yesterday, though...
If Mario has taught me anything, it's that most things rely on whether there's something good in a nearby box.
Note: If something in the above post is done incorrectly, tell the poster as softly as possible, please.

128-Up's IWBTG Fangame Clear List
If you're wondering what on earth 'aiwana' is, click me!

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

Leet wrote:
No Lynch wrote:Punctuation is usually left inside the quotation marks, like "ham and cheese."

While this is true, it's also stupid and doesn't make any sense. What the person said should be in a quotes ("eat a ham") and the comma is your own, so that shouldn't go there. And yet it does anyway.
I thought that the "comma outside the quotes" format was the standard UK style, but "comma inside" is US style.

That said, the comma doesn't really change what the person said. It's just there to say "hey, there was a period at the end but the sentence that this sentence is inside isn't over yet."
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Lunikyuu
I forgot what I was going to put here after MaGL X3

Post by Lunikyuu »

I've always understood it as "if the punctuation is part of the original quote, it goes inside the quote, otherwise it goes outside the quote", and I will look at anything else as weird and dumb
Leet

Post by Leet »

Whimsical Calamari wrote:That said, the comma doesn't really change what the person said. It's just there to say "hey, there was a period at the end but the sentence that this sentence is inside isn't over yet."
I've very often seen it used without the context of any sentence or period, though. People just putting the punctuation inside the quotes for no reason.
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

Punctuation does indeed go inside the quote, which I don't like doing. It looks wrong and functionally makes little sense, but in English (in the US anyway) that's what it is.
Pikabread
we're gonna talk about e
First name: lily
Pronouns: she/her/xe/xem

Post by Pikabread »

Personally, even though it's grammatically incorrect, I put the punctuation OF the original quote (if there is any) inside the quotes as it originally stood and then add my OWN punctuation (as it would be read as I speak the quote) outside of the quotes, because it makes more sense to me and therefore makes me happy

example:
I'm going to go get some meat.
That guy said "I'm going to go get some meat.", but I don't think he's serious.
Leet

Post by Leet »

why the fuck do i keep doing things that i assert make me uncomfortable?! what's wrong with me?