JUMP½ Main Discussion, Rules and Base ROM

Half a jump is still a jump
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused
First name: Tom

Re: JUMP½ Main Discussion, Rules and Base ROM

Post by QubicTom »

HOW DOES LUNAR MAGIC

(the embarrassing image above is just to show that I've finally got level 8 to not look like the green switch palace anymore, hooray!)
(also, why are like 90% of Lunar Magic tutorials on YouTube in German or Portuguese?!)

Jople said that if I'm changing map16 tiles I need to claim a few, I reckon I need three 16x16 background squares. But, to avoid messing anything up, I think I'm going to make the level 8 edit in a regular SMW rom, make sure everything works, then rebuild in the baserom, then make the ips patch. Is that a safe thing to do, or am I making life way too difficult for everyone involved? My apologies for the super dumb question, just wanted to ask now before pain is caused down the line! Again, if you reckon that letting a guy who took one hour to realise how to place tiles in a level take part in this project is actually a bad idea, do let me know and I'll come back for JUMP 1/4!
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

QubicTom wrote:do let me know and I'll come back for JUMP 1/4!
NO.

I honestly don't really understand your whole process with resources. Like if you wanna do that, that's fine but it would add an extra step or 2 for you. I'm sorry, I don't really know how to help you with what happened in the picture. It is probably just a result of having the wrong BG1 file for the background your using. The red poison mushroom in your friend. If you have any more questions pm me and I'll see what I can do though Jolpe does have more experience.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

aterraformer wrote:This isn't a true sequel, or else I would call it JUMP2. If worldpeace ever wants, he can have that name trademark thing as the paths diverge.
Let me make it clear that I'm not claiming this name. I don't think I can manage a huge project like JUMP1 due to real life, and the name is actually not mine!
14) Uhh not really a guideline but the included patch doesn't work lol. I took the existing JUMP patch, deleted some things, added some and organized to make something unusable. Would be pretty cool if someone could just take a look and see what I did wrong but worldpeace125 will hopefully give it a look sometime when he is less busy.
Just name the patches you want, and I'll refine them and remove some codes for specific use of JUMP 1.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

I just meant I would give you that name in case you ever were able to and wanted to. I dunno, made sense in my mind. I'll tell you the patch stuff on skype.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
LHB

Post by LHB »

morsel/morceau wrote:They were released with the hacks. In case you can't find them...
Thanks. The NSMB Castle Theme seems to be missing from it though.
FrenchCoreSMW

Post by FrenchCoreSMW »

Hummm, how can I join this amazing thing ? ;)
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Just claim what you need and just use that as to not cause insertion issues.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

New base rom out tomorrow. Adding in all the levels I had, even some that need a bit done to them. If you want your level in, please submit before sometime tomorrow afternoon when I put things together. This one has most the patches we will be using in. Whatever we are doing with start button or seeing author names will be last and we will probably use a similar hud to JUMP in due time. I forgot to ask :oops:
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

New base here if anyone cares...
LHB

Post by LHB »

Does anyone know where I can find this port of Bubble Crab's stage?
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

I think it's this one
dont wanna jihad no more
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

I have a skype group set up if anyone wants in (pm me for my skype name, not as obvious anymore). Probably going to do up a new base tomorrow afternoon.
Nao
Pronouns: he

Post by Nao »

Alright so I joined this forum now basically to take part in this collab. JUMP was my favourite hack ever (even though I played like any hack >30 exits on the central and most japanese hacks) and when I played it I thought I REALLY want to take part in a possible sequel, so here I am. My brother will most likely join too when he will be able to join the forum :D Anyway I probably shouldn't introduce myself in this thread...

I skimmed through the baserom and I'm loving it so far (as expected); I'll make sure to give detailed feedback to the levels at a later point of development or when I analyzed them more.

Expect me to claim a level myself tomorrow - I am still thinking about a possible concept. I mean I could go the safe route but I kinda want to do a janky one (similar to Jolpe's levels, JUMP 1-1, the VIP2 Youtube Level, etc.) because I never did something like that and I got a fan of that type of level lately.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

Welcome to the team, Nao. I look forward to your contributions. :)
dont wanna jihad no more
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

NEW BASE ALERT
Mostly new levels and map start info from JUMP. For my Janked Up Mario Quality level, take the design with a grain of salt. It's not final at all whatsoever (doesn't even work for what I have planned :lol:). Same for the second half of LHB's desert level, things need moving around.
Nao
Pronouns: he

Post by Nao »

Giving feedback for LHB's unfinished desert x castle-level since there is no thread yet (I don't like reviewing unfinished levels but I didn't know it was not finished when I started playing it - Also I am sorry in case I am not supposed to review the levels yet but I will do anyways, it won't hurt anyone):
  • The first section was neat. A rather simple desert level. Gave me vibes of the older VIPs that had desert levels (I can only precisely remember VIP 3's).
  • The second section (that is yet unfinished and you might want to change these things anyway) is where some problems start to happen. I was surprised by the sudden change in theme (from a simplistic desert to layer 2 castle shenanigans?) but it is not really an issue, atleast it makes for a nice surprise when playing. However the difficulty changes drastically too.. While the outdoor part was really easy this lower part is much more difficult (not always the good kind of difficult though, see below) so that together with the theme change it really seems like two completely different levels were combined here?!

I had to wait for ages here because I didn't manage to jump on the boomerangs the first few tries. After that the timing was simply messed up - Basically you need to be lucky here to make it past the giant spike because there are 3 factors: There needs to be a boomerang (1) that you can safely use to jump on the platform when it's approach the left side (2) and then, and this is what threw me off many times, the spike shouldn't be in a position that you can't go through there (3). I think the best solution here would be to either make a platform so the boomerang bro is not needed to get up there, or (even better) to introduce the layer 2 gimmick with a static platform made of blocks first instead of using a moving platform right away.

There is an invisible ledge tile I am standing on here.

You can go here easily (not sure if it's intended but there really are vanilla workarounds for that). Also quite a nitpicky one but something that bothered me anyways: Two times I tried to jump over the spikes on the right and I was standing too far to the left (still partially under the staircase), and because the moving staircase have kinda buggy behaviour I jumped, but the staircase stopped my jump and I was pushed into the spikes afterwards. I expect this to happen to many players who are not so familiar with the staircase physics.

Oh well I'm sorry once again if I'm reviewing this too early here but I hope it helps a bit :3
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Yeah Nao, that's actually my section. LHB wanted someone to finish that level and I considered. That said, the design isn't final like at all haha. I never really made a layer 2 level and was just messing around. The solid invisible block is a solid for sprites only block that's been screwing up sometimes but I thought was fixed. Did you play this in the newest base? Anyways, it is there for hopefully when I figure out how to get dry bones and boomerang guys to function properly together because as of now, the take up the same spot in the graphics file.
LHB

Post by LHB »

I'm eventually going to revise my half of that stage to make it more difficult and add a secret path, but thank you for the feedback!
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

LHB wrote:I'm eventually going to revise my half of that stage to make it more difficult and add a secret path, but thank you for the feedback!
It is your level so feel free to tell me you don't think the section fits or you would rather do the section yourself but like I said, it needs plenty of revising but it does give an idea of the types of obstacles involved.
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ryrir »

So, are we using the "longer level names" patch? And if so, what is the max number of characters that I can use for my level name (including spaces)?
I'm currently reworking my level a bit, maybe I'll be able to post it sometime next week if real life doesn't get it the way
this is getting laundromatic
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Ryrir wrote:So, are we using the "longer level names" patch? And if so, what is the max number of characters that I can use for my level name (including spaces)?
I'm currently reworking my level a bit, maybe I'll be able to post it sometime next week if real life doesn't get it the way
If base ROM is any indication, longer level names patch is being used. 19 characters in a line, and 2 lines.

Reminds me, I will need to rename my "Where No Man Lands", the name was purely because of name length limit, I will think of a proper name on next level update.
Koopster
judge of u

Post by Koopster »

Hey man, are the overworld people already settled? I kinda want to take a map or two but considering I don't come here too often I'm almost certain I'll miss all the slots when the time comes!
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

No real claiming yet. I want that to be worked on after I have all the levels so there's no need for remodeling the map a bunch of times.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Would have thought the ending of another VLDC session would have brought with more interest here. Guess I was mistaken
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

hey I'm doing something

Not yet claiming the slot because I want to be closer to completion before doing so, want to know what all I'll need after all. Currently having fun figuring out why my chainsaws are teleporting, so there's that.